• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

plenilune

how much is maxis supporting this game at this point? for instance, i know d3 launched with a lot of criticism that lasted for a while but it seems to be getting better and better and blizzard is still really supporting it (at least that's how it seems). is there any hope that a year from now sim city will be a good game due to maxis supporting it until it's good?

We'll have to wait until the expansion hits. No way EA is fixing the game for free.

Kabouter

Not going back until they fix the damn education bug, which I'm guessing they didn't with this patch since I didn't see it anywhere in the notes.

We'll have to wait until the expansion hits. No way EA is fixing the game for free.

If a core update can bring in more people and sell more DLC (say a large cities update with way more players playing again with more room to spare to plop amusement parks and the like) I could see them giving away the fixes.

I can tell you I probably won't play much and certainly wouldn't even buy something like a transport pack with one-way streets unless the plot sizes get much bigger.

Not going back until they fix the damn education bug, which I'm guessing they didn't with this patch since I didn't see it anywhere in the notes.

What's the education bug?

Also, randomly - can anyone link me to the neogaf steam community thread, looking to get invited to the neogaf steam group and I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Dakota47

If a core update can bring in more people and sell more DLC (say a large cities update with way more players playing again with more room to spare to plop amusement parks and the like) I could see them giving away the fixes.

I can tell you I probably won't play much and certainly wouldn't even buy something like a transport pack with one-way streets unless the plot sizes get much bigger.

That's when I'll be buying this game.

Kabouter

What's the education bug?

Also, randomly - can anyone link me to the neogaf steam community thread, looking to get invited to the neogaf steam group and I can't seem to find it anywhere.

You can run into a bug where student agents start disappearing from the city, leading to a major decline in education rating. I've had it for pretty much every city. It really sucks, especially when you consider how many other things depend on good education like recycling and crime.

Morthas

Neo Member
Hahahaha, that's fucking hilarious! I wonder how long it took to come up with the dialogue, and put it all together.

About a month.

Rentahamster said:
I'm amazed that it was uploaded in March, yet it doesn't have very many views.

Yeah, well the problem is I don't know how to make it findable by the right audience. Gamers obviously, knowing about SimCity and its controversy as well as people that might have played Phoenix Wright.

The YouTube search sucks... seems like you have to do other things to share something like this.

Slacker

Tried to launch the game for the first time in a long time to see what's new these days. Got to the Origin login page and couldn't remember my password. Eff it, back to Steam. :p

gamma

I was so hyped for this game. Then it was finally released and everyone knows what happened. Haven't touched it since and don't really want to either. Such a waste of money.

lol

Just spent 20 minutes filling out a survey on SimCity and my gaming habits.....I indicated that I'd play more of cities were bigger, subways etc....

yogloo

About a month.

Yeah, well the problem is I don't know how to make it findable by the right audience. Gamers obviously, knowing about SimCity and its controversy as well as people that might have played Phoenix Wright.

The YouTube search sucks... seems like you have to do other things to share something like this.
When is the sequel coming up?

Effect

The game is now down to $40 on Amazon (digital). Has the game been patched, fixed, etc enough to make it worth the purchase?

Slacker

The game is now down to $40 on Amazon (digital). Has the game been patched, fixed, etc enough to make it worth the purchase?

For me personally, it's not worth a purchase until the city size is increased. And only then if it's a free update. Cities fill up too fast and I get bored as it stands today.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Looks like they're finally adding proper RCI dependencies.

http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/making-industry-matter-rci-improvements

I hope that it works out well. My fear is that Maxis implements a bad version of it, and then when everyone complains they say, "but this is what you WANTED".

One way things could get tricky is that those freight delivery trucks become more important, and if you have more trucks on the road...well...good luck if your traffic is already fucked up to begin with.

I only skimmed the article yesterday but it sounds like having no industrial cities is going to be much harder*

*yes, it can be supplemented by region support, but we all know how reliable that is

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I only skimmed the article yesterday but it sounds like having no industrial cities is going to be much harder*

*yes, it can be supplemented by region support, but we all know how reliable that is

Region support is fucked. IT is why I stopped playing the game. I couldn't buy anything from my neighboring cities anymore so my cities stopped working.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I feel like they could save a massive amount of overhead if they just change the utilities from being agent based, to being just plain numbers based.

I have no clue what gameplay advantages there are to making sewage shit and electricity be agents. It only serves to waste CPU cycles and make the servers have to calculate more shit between city connections.

I feel like they could save a massive amount of overhead if they just change the utilities from being agent based, to being just plain numbers based.
I find it particularly galling with power, because electricity travels at damn near the speed of light. It infuriating to sit there for two minutes waiting for your town to get back up to speed.

For sewage I can kind of understand, since when things back up it causes ground pollution.

A friend of mine recently gave me an extra copy of Simcity that he had. I'm looking forward to playing this, hopefully if those rumblings of maxis looking into implementing offline mode

jambo

So how is the game actually going now?

It seems like there are a tonne of people who have given up trying to play, so are the servers actually decent now? Still syncing issues and saves getting eaten? Have they fixed bugs with traffic, sewage and education?

Huge SimCity fan so I don't really want to support them, but if it has actually been fixed up a bit I might think about grabbing it the next time I rummage through the bargain bin.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

It seems like there are a tonne of people who have given up trying to play, so are the servers actually decent now? Still syncing issues and saves getting eaten? Have they fixed bugs with traffic, sewage and education?

Huge SimCity fan so I don't really want to support them, but if it has actually been fixed up a bit I might think about grabbing it the next time I rummage through the bargain bin.
Judging by how often this thread gets bumped nowadays, I dunno if anyone on GAF is qualified to answer that anymore lmao.

We're all playing Civ.

Jintor

don't

lexi

Banned
Disappointment of the decade.

I played Diablo 3 for over 100 hours, I think it gets an unfair amount of hate when you compare it to monstrosities like SimCity.

Top Bottom