• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Talented people leaving your company is never a good thing, even if the blame for a few bad decisions could be put directly on their shoulders (which I'm guessing it couldn't be). This looks like a brain drain, which at the very least removes the very people who best know the issues with the current product and probably already know what it might take if fixing them is possible.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So I've got a question that's been on my mind for some reason: does anyone really like the emphasis on traffic coordination that's been in the series since SC4? I like the simplicity of something like sc2000 when it comes to traffic models. The process of planning routes, transportation and such is just less interesting to me than building a city. Or am I alone?

So I've got a question that's been on my mind for some reason: does anyone really like the emphasis on traffic coordination that's been in the series since SC4? I like the simplicity of something like sc2000 when it comes to traffic models. The process of planning routes, transportation and such is just less interesting to me than building a city. Or am I alone?

Like it or not, planning roadways and traffic plus offering other forms of transportation is part of building a thriving city.

For me, the problem is that they didn't give us all of the necessary tools to reasonably do so. We needed larger plots, the ability to add on to the existing highway structure (create more exits to your city, i.e.), should be able to build overpasses without resorting to ways to trick the program, one way streets, all high density roads should have turn lanes (left turn lanes, if nothing else), pedestrian signals along with traffic lights, pedestrian overpasses, subways, etc. etc. etc.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Yes. I find it fascinating.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
is the neogaf community play still active?

rip.gif

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I want them to fix this game so bad :(

Me too :(

While I was playing the game, I actually took down a lot of notes about what was wrong with it and what I thought they could do to improve it, but I never bothered to post it because I don't think anyone's listening.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
In development

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9637389.page

New: Brand new tool to create bridges, overpasses, and tunnels when you draw your roads.

When building your road, pressing the , key or . key will lower or raise the road accordingly creating overpasses, bridges and tunnels.
Note: Existing road layouts cannot be raised or lowered

New: Improvements for Traffic behavior to make it smarter. This should reduce the number of lines formed by all available vehicles converging on a single spot. This affects all vehicles including Police, Fire Trucks, Moving Trucks, Garbage Trucks, Recycling Trucks, Resource Trucks, Buses, Ambulances, and Civilian vehicles going home, to work, or shopping.

New: Tree tools – Place individual trees around your city. These tools are located at the end of the Nature Parks palette.

Terrain: Fixes an issue some player’s see where terrain covers sections of roads while the camera is zoomed out.

Fixed an issue where the fire animation would sometimes continue when fire was extinguished.

Parks: Sports parks are now accepting Sims 24 hours a day.

Airship: The number of Airship passenger trips should now be correct over multiple days.

Vehicles: Vehicles now accelerate and decelerate faster, allowing them to leave buildings and go through intersections more efficiently.

Freight: Freight trucks now only leave factories if they have a valid delivery destination.

Gifting: Money gifting should be more reliable.

I'd like to see the list. *shrugs*

Oh OK sure. Lemme see where I saved that notepad file lol.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
No education bug fix huh?

Maybe it's in for the patch number six that's coming out next week? I dunno. The stuff I posted is stuff for the near, but not immediate, future.

I still don't even know if they fixed that thing where excess shoppers just vanish into thin air. The one that I posted many pages ago.

Hopefully, eventually, the simulation will be more robust without actually having to be fudged here and there, both metaphorically and (unfortunately) literally.

spirity

I'm pretty sure there's 1 guy working on the game atm - the gimp they summon from the cellar - if that patch is anything to go by.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/simcity-traffic-tuning

Reading this article about traffic tuning in update 7. Just emphasizes to me how profoundly stupid their design of this game was. They are clearly having to rework every aspect of the game because its core (where sims are not real entities with a job and a home, but rather abstract cosmic spirits who travel around each day looking for the first available job and home) is retarded. But surely we can't just fix this fundamental problem rather than tuning each individual system.

I'd give them more shit, but I have a feeling the CEO pushed this out the door to make the quarter earnings look better. That, or ignored their pleas for a delay.

Edit: Speaking of delays still no word on the Mac version.

Everdred

I haven't played this game since 2-3 weeks from launch. How would you say it's progressed? Is it a much better game now? Any announcements of increasing plot size?

*crickets chirping*

Video from the devs showing the tunnel and overpass tool that's coming in the next patch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx1UIiFyFx4

I think I might have to try that out.

Why, why was this not included in the launch version of the game?! It seems like such a fundamental feature for designing and building cities, especially with the needlessly small city sizes. It looks neat but I don't think I can be assed to play this game again until the city sizes are at least doubled.

RS4-

I haven't played this game since 2-3 weeks from launch. How would you say it's progressed? Is it a much better game now? Any announcements of increasing plot size?

Yeah same question for me as well. I want to log in but I feel like I'm just going to see the same stuff from release week

I'd agree with this

Hoping the new traffic update works as advertised, that'll cure a lot of what ills this game once you start having high density buildings that create incredible amounts of traffic. Add to that the long lines of busses, construction trucks, and moving vans that feel the need to u-turn and hold everyone else in line up. In fact, I think u-turns should only be allowed on avenues, period.

OchreHand

Update 7 will get me to play again.

Speaking of high density buildings, some of my last cities were just houses and streets. I find them way more interesting to look at than skyscrapers.

Mobius 1

I will give it another go then, with the new update. The increased flexibility on road construction might alleviate some of the traffic problems.

I will give it another go then, with the new update. The increased flexibility on road construction might alleviate some of the traffic problems.

Coupled with some of the algorithm changes, one would hope so. Traffic and service vehicle AI is my biggest gripe with the game to be honest.

EDIT: I still wonder how it never occured to them to put left turn lanes in the game, especially on avenues.

munroe

Coupled with some of the algorithm changes, one would hope so. Traffic and service vehicle AI is my biggest gripe with the game to be honest.

EDIT: I still wonder how it never occured to them to put left turn lanes in the game, especially on avenues.

One way streets would also work well.

Koomaster

I'm cautiously optimistic here but with this latest update, went back to my huge city and the traffic jams appear to be clearing up for the most part. Perhaps they finally fixed the traffic AI.

Anyone even still playing this, haha? :p

I'm cautiously optimistic here but with this latest update, went back to my huge city and the traffic jams appear to be clearing up for the most part. Perhaps they finally fixed the traffic AI.

Anyone even still playing this, haha? :p

It seems better than it was, especially now that I can create bypasses too.

I just wish they'd add a time window for cars to turn left when the light turns green.

Top Bottom