• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Since marijuana legalization, highway fatalities in Colorado are at near-historic low

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is, they veer off a cliff and plummet.

Since marijuana legalization, highway fatalities in Colorado are at near-historic lows.

Since Colorado voters legalized pot in 2012, prohibition supporters have warned that recreational marijuana will lead to a scourge of “drugged divers” on the state’s roads. They often point out that when the state legalized medical marijuana in 2001, there was a surge in drivers found to have smoked pot. They also point to studies showing that in other states that have legalized pot for medical purposes, we’ve seen an increase in the number of drivers testing positive for the drug who were involved in fatal car accidents. The anti-pot group SAM recently pointed out that even before the first legal pot store opened in Washington state, the number of drivers in that state testing positive for pot jumped by a third.

Since the new Colorado law took effect in January, the “drugged driver” panic has only intensified. I’ve already written about one dubious example, in which the Colorado Highway Patrol and some local and national media perpetuated a story that a driver was high on pot when he slammed into a couple of police cars parked on an interstate exit ramp. While the driver did have some pot in his system, his blood-alcohol level was off the charts and was far more likely the cause of the accident. In my colleague Marc Fisher’s recent dispatch from Colorado, law enforcement officials there and in bordering states warned that they’re seeing more drugged drivers. Congress recently held hearings on the matter, complete with dire predictions such as “We are going to have a lot more people stoned on the highway and there will be consequences,” from Rep. John Mica (R-Fla.). Some have called for a zero tolerance policy — if you’re driving with any trace of pot in your system, you’re guilty of a DWI. That would effectively ban anyone who smokes pot from driving for up to a couple of weeks after their last joint, including people who legitimately use the drug for medical reasons.

1aM4INI.jpg

Of course, the continuing drop in roadway fatalities, in Colorado and elsewhere, is due to a variety of factors, such as better-built cars and trucks, improved safety features and better road engineering. These figures in and of themselves only indicate that the roads are getting safer; they don’t suggest that pot had anything to do with it. We’re also only seven months in. Maybe these figures will change. Finally, it’s also possible that if it weren’t for legal pot, the 2014 figures would be even lower. There’s no real way to know that. We can only look at the data available. But you can bet that if fatalities were up this year, prohibition supporters would be blaming it on legal marijuana. (Interestingly, though road fatalities have generally been falling in Colorado for a long time, 2013 actually saw a slight increase from 2012. So fatalities are down the year after legalization, after having gone up the year before.)

Whole article at the link. Obviously it's not fair to say that the roads are safer BECAUSE of legalized marijuana but it certainly seems to hurt the oppositions argument that the roads will become filled with weed crazed maniacs.

studyguy

I'll throw out the sentiment that no one should be driving impaired. If you're going to drink, smoke or otherwise to such a degree that you can't keep tabs on your motor skills then simply don't get behind the wheel. Either way, whatev less crashes is always good I personally can't wait for self driving cars.

dekline

Must be a lot of that dank indica shit in CO. You know, the kind that even makes something like walking to the kitchen a huge effort.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Man, I can't believe California failed to legalize pot. How does that even happen.

Yeah, I don't know if any kind of causal relationship can be established for certain, but at the very least it's impossible to prove that it's making the roads any more dangerous.

Tesseract

Banned
one time i drove stoned, i felt like picard maneuvering through that booby trapped asteroid field. turns out i never left home.

*edit* yikes, i really butchered that sentence.

Some have called for a zero tolerance policy — if you’re driving with any trace of pot in your system, you’re guilty of a DWI. That would effectively ban anyone who smokes pot from driving for up to a couple of weeks after their last joint, including people who legitimately use the drug for medical reasons.

Roadside piss tests. Cops are gonna have messy jobs.

As a data guy, this chart makes me angry on so many levels.

1aM4INI.jpg

A histogram using years as an axis should not also be comparing those with aggregate values that span multiple years like this chart does. And where exactly do they get off on adding in "sum of all lowest months or sum or all highest months" across years? Year values should be compared to other year values, and they should put in enough of them so that you can see trends over time.

By only allowing for year to year comparisons between 2013 and 2014 (so far) it totally hides the fact that fatalities have been on an overall solidly downward trend since 2002 already. As such comparing it to a graph bar of "all the worst months since 2002" is going to look good for 2014, regardless of what has happened with legalization.

I'm not trying to make an argument one way or another (I'm not strident, but rather pro-legalization myself) but the presentation of data in this linked article is biased bunk.

Timeless

Statistically insignificant. The numbers for these six months could absolutely be close enough to the average to just be attributable to random chance.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Those are some horrible and misleading graphs.

No kidding, wow. It's not even trying to hide how misleading it's being. "low since 2002" coming after 2014? There is almost no useful information in that picture hahaha.

N649CFo.png

Here is an actual graph (NOTE: This only covers 2014 through Sept. 22 hence the bar being so much lower). It's actually on track to be about the same as recent years.

Of course, the continuing drop in roadway fatalities, in Colorado and elsewhere, is due to a variety of factors, such as better-built cars and trucks, improved safety features and better road engineering. These figures in and of themselves only indicate that the roads are getting safer; they don’t suggest that pot had anything to do with it.

Didnt stop them from shoving it in the headline though. :/

cnorwood

Banned
I live in Colorado and I got pulled over in the middle of smoking a blunt about 3 weeks ago. The cop couldve easily gave me a dui but he was chill(ish, I still got a speeding ticket). But for me driving high is actually safer to me as when I drive high I rarely look at distractions like my phone and am pretty focused on the road. I cant say the same for driving drunk tho. I used to do that a lot a few years ago, now that is stupid as fuck

Timeless

I live in Colorado and I got pulled over in the middle of smoking a blunt about 3 weeks ago. The cop couldve easily gave me a dui but he was chill(ish, I still got a speeding ticket). But for me driving high is actually safer to me as when I drive high I rarely look at distractions like my phone and am pretty focused on the road. I cant say the same for driving drunk tho. I used to do that a lot a few years ago, now that is stupid as fuck
This probably wasn't a good idea.

Hazmat

You realize "I drive better after using" is also what drunk drivers say, right?

Note: I am not equating the two, as the only thing that matches my lack of scientific evidence to support either argument is the amount that I don't really care. Still, that's a really dumb argument.

Aurongel

Umm, yeah.

TigerKnee

I actually agree with this. I concentrated a hell of a lot more when I was high off my ass and drove more carefully as well

(that was 15 years ago. lay off my back moralGAF)

Giggzy

I once stopped behind a car stuck on the freeway with its hazard lights on for about five minutes. I was curious as to why the stop light was taking so long to change.

I was high as fuck.

I said it in the last thread on this as well, cut that shit out.

Anything that lowers your reaction time isn't cool when you're operating a rolling slab of metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom