• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Six Flag's Great Adventure presents EL TORO!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aparisi2274

El Toro

This "out-and-back hybrid" is the second tallest and fastest wooden coaster in the U.S. with the second longest drop. El Toro breaks the world record for steepest wooden coaster drop at 76 degrees.

Opening Date Spring 2006

Lift Height 181 feet

First Drop Angle 76 (world record-breaking degrees)

Hill Heights
* Second hill - 112 feet
* Third hill: 100 feet
* Fourth hill: 82 feet

Maximum Speed 70 mph

Track Length 4,400 feet

Number of Trains 2 trains, 6 cars per train

Capacity 36 per train - 1,500 per hour

lake01.jpg

More El Toro facts

why do they insist on still building wooden roller coaster, they suck and they jar you all to hell. ill go to cedar point and ride the two best coasters in the country

Mihail

Banned
Why would they build a wooden coaster? The Nitro shows that you can take the wooden coaster experience and make it even better with a metal coaster.

I still haven't tried the Kingda Ka, or whatever the other new one is called.

I love coasters, but I'm hesitant to patronize Great Adventure until they clean up their freakin' park.

aparisi2274

Mihail said:
Why would they build a wooden coaster? The Nitro shows that you can take the wooden coaster experience and make it even better with a metal coaster.

I still haven't tried the Kingda Ka, or whatever the other new one is called.

I love coasters, but I'm hesitant to patronize Great Adventure until they clean up their freakin' park.

By clean up park what do you mean? Their customers? or the part itself? because I went to the park at least 6x this summer, and it was spotless, and looks nothing like it did several years ago..

Also, a Wooden coaster has many fans, and the idea behind a woodie, is that with certain weather patterns, you will always get a different ride, as the wood shifts, settles, tightens up, ect...

I actually prefer some woodies over steel coasters.

Mihail

Banned
aparisi2274 said:
By clean up park what do you mean? Their customers? or the part itself? because I went to the park at least 6x this summer, and it was spotless, and looks nothing like it did several years ago..

Also, a Wooden coaster has many fans, and the idea behind a woodie, is that with certain weather patterns, you will always get a different ride, as the wood shifts, settles, tightens up, ect...

I actually prefer some woodies over steel coasters.
Haha, no, I'm not racist. The clean-up sounds good. I've never gone during Fright Fest -- maybe I'll check it out.

aparisi2274

Mihail said:
Haha, no, I'm not racist. The clean-up sounds good. I've never gone during Fright Fest -- maybe I'll check it out.

Yeah fright fest is pretty cool... And the park hired a new landscaper this year and she added all these new flowers, and landscaping, and the part really looks like a new place... Not something that is over 30yrs old.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I think the Rattler at Fiesta Texas is taller than that. Of course, when Six Flags bought the park they tore the first drop out and it now only goes about halfway to the ground.. then they put about 5 brake runs on the ride.. thanks Six Flags for destroying a great ride.

Edit: Nevermind its a foot taller than the Rattler.. and it turns out Six Flags redid the rattler due to a series of injuries and lawsuits... here is the original one:

rattlersfft1st.jpg

rattler1.jpg

and the new pussified one.

Rattler_052602-4.jpg

As you can see the first drop is now nowhere near as steep, it doesnt drop as far and it used to turn to the left as you went down, now its a strait drop. Then the got rid of the second hill before the big turn completely. Originally that entire turn would sway a good 5 feet when the train went over it... the rest of the ride is the same, but they added a bunch of brakes to it so you go about 1/3rd of the speed you used to, so its boring as hell now :(

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
aparisi2274 said:
Yes it is... When its operating...

It's down alot? I wouldn't know we just went one during while we were out on vacation in Palm Springs... it ran the whole day I was there so that's all I knew. ;)

Anthropic

truffleshuffle83 said:
CEDAR POINT for the win
CP has no great wodden rides, and is thus disqualified. Mean Streak is a beautiful looking ride that runs like a POS. My friends and I use to call it "Brown Streak".

aparisi2274

DarienA said:
It's down alot? I wouldn't know we just went one during while we were out on vacation in Palm Springs... it ran the whole day I was there so that's all I knew. ;)

Yeah it was down a lot when it first opened, and then they had some dumb schedule where it would only run on like Wednesday's and Friday's, and then I think this was the first or 2nd year where it was actually running for most of the summer.

Anthropic

enjoy bell woods said:
Six Flags Over Arlington has The Texas Giant, which is the most painful, nauseating thing ever. God do I hate that ride.

Not suprisingly, it was designed by the same guy (Summers) that did Mean Streak at Cedar Point and built by the same company (Dinn) that built Mean Streak.

Mihail

Banned
B&M make the smoothest rides, and therefore, in my opinion, best, rides. Medusa and Nitro are like flying -- or swimming in melted butter.

Sadly, for us Texans, our local Six Flags is being destroyed and turned into a parking lot for the fricken rodeo.

Fuck you, too, America. Especially you, Bush.

Anthropic

Oh, B&M are top knotch...Aside from some of their stand-ups, I don't think I've ever been on a B&M ride I haven't loved.

Alpengeist, Raging Bull, and Apollo's Chariot are probably three of the best rides I've ever had...And Superman - Ultimate Flight (I rode the one at Great America) has the coolest loop I've ever been through.

Anthropic

I've ridden both of them.

MF has a great first hill, a great second hill with the over-banking, and then does almost nothing else. It basically does a sort of freeform thing with a few hills and tunnels and such. The rest of the ride is a let down after those two hills. Magnum at least has the pretzel turn-around and those brutal bunny hops at the end. Think about this...MF is going 50MPH at the end of the ride...Imagine what else they could have done with all that momentum if they had more space/budget. A huge helix would have been awesome. More overbanking would have been awesome. Instead they just brake the train.

Top Thrill Dragster is a great 20 seconds. I'd like a little more from a ride than just 20 seconds. Again, a ride that could have batshit insane with more space/budget.

aparisi2274

Anthropic said:
I've ridden both of them.

MF has a great first hill, a great second hill with the over-banking, and then does almost nothing else. It basically does a sort of freeform thing with a few hills and tunnels and such. The rest of the ride is a let down after those two hills. Magnum at least has the pretzel turn-around and those brutal bunny hops at the end. Think about this...MF is going 50MPH at the end of the ride...Imagine what else they could have done with all that momentum if they had more space/budget. A huge helix would have been awesome. More overbanking would have been awesome. Instead they just brake the train.

Top Thrill Dragster is a great 20 seconds. I'd like a little more from a ride than just 20 seconds. Again, a ride that could have batshit insane with more space/budget.

If you like TTD, then you would love Kingda Ka at Great Adventure... Its the bigger, faster brother of TTD, and its all of 56secs... I highly recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom