• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Six hurt in 'acid attack' at Stratford Centre in London (UK)

Hrothgar

Not if you manage to clean it immediately with copious amount of water I think (I hope).

Another danger is when you try to get it off with too little water. In that case you are only dilluting it a bit (which can still cause burns) and spreading it even more over your body.

Knurek

Another danger is when you try to get it off with too little water. In that case you are only dilluting it a bit (which can still cause burns) and spreading it even more over your body.

There's also the fact that adding water to acid makes it generate heat, sometimes to the point of boiling.

Marvel

could never
Yeah as I said in the previous page, it's not really a wise idea to throw water on acid burn victims until the substance is identified.

It's such a shitty situation.

Sunster

Yeah as I said in the previous page, it's not really a wise idea to throw water on acid burn victims until the substance is identified.

It's such a shitty situation.

I mean, tell that to someone with burning acid on their skin? they're not going to wait for a lab report.

Marvel

could never
I mean, tell that to someone with burning acid on their skin? they're not going to wait for a lab report.
I know? but it's a risk you take when you use water... a very serious risk to the poor victim. It's now becoming advised not to do so.

Don't get snippy.

I read some crazy stuff about acid attacks, I think a few months ago a crazy guy threw acid on some women because they were brown and it was life threatening for one women because it damage them so badly it effected breathing. How much can modern medicine recover a person from acid? I know it is something that will stick with a person but I wonder what extent it can help a victim.

Syder

Acid attack is are the lowest of the low.

I'm not educated on what the max sentences are for this type of assault but they should be longer.

This is an epidemic and we need to do more. Make the prison times life for ruining another person's life.

Their injuries were not said to be life threatening or life changing.

This is really the new objective for a lot of these little shits, huh? Why kill the person when you can force them to live after being mutilated.

Cases like these, which involve vicious sadism, ought to lead to very long prison sentences. No mercy for those who take pleasure in the pain of others.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
They should get acid thrown on them.
No jail time necessary.

I lean a bit to the right when it comes to retaliation, I must admit. This idea doesn’t offend me.

The other thing that springs to mind is going full Jesse Pinkman, and having the victims take their cut from anything they earn for life if they cause life-changing injuries (not so in this case).

In reality, they should be forced to provide care for the victims for however long it is needed.

slider

I know? but it's a risk you take when you use water... a very serious risk to the poor victim. It's now becoming advised not to do so.

Don't get snippy.

Do you know what the advice is, Marvel? Everything I've found says clean water/saline solution.

Edit: Thinking back to the last "epidemic" I recall getting coverage in the media (aside from "plain" stabbings)... It was stabbings to the rectal area to "maim". Although, I think an attempt was made at Dizzee Rascal years ago.

I lean a bit to the right when it comes to retaliation, I must admit. This idea doesn’t offend me.

The other thing that springs to mind is going full Jesse Pinkman, and having the victims take their cut from anything they earn for life if they cause life-changing injuries (not so in this case).

In reality, they should be forced to provide care for the victims for however long it is needed.

Nah, sadism does not belong in a healthy modern society and is never justified. Even as an act of vengeance, we cannot let ourselves see these methods as anything other than abhorrent.

Providing financial support for life, on the other hand, is a punishment I'd support.

Marvel

could never
Do you know what the advice is, Marvel? Everything I've found says clean water/saline solution.
This is the point and why I said it's a shitty situation. There is advice for and against water rinsing, it can be a gamble.

It depends on the chemical itself or how you apply the water as someone else here stated, it can spread the substance and burn more of the victim.

Someone my sister knew many years ago had a type of acid thrown at her, landed on her arm. Water was used naturally in the panic to help. Dr said it made the injury a lot worse, ate more tissue because of increased heat.

nekkid

How many victims do you think would like to be cared for by the person that threw acid in their face?

Did I really need to explicitly say that this would have to be at the discretion of the victim?

Next you'll be asking for public toilets...

Those already exist. Usually they’re signposted “Costa” or “Starbucks” or something else a bit misleading.

Alienous

Chemical attacks are a special kind of sickening.

It's an attempt to scar physically and mentally. It isn't even an attempt to kill - it's an attempt to kill whatever life that person had and leave them with a more difficult one.

If you're caught at any point in the process of commiting an acid attack those should be the last seconds of freedom you ever experience.

daviyoung

Banned
Did I really need to explicitly say that this would have to be at the discretion of the victim?

Surely it would be better for them to serve for a charity that helps victims of acid attacks rather than being a private nurse for their victim, which is just super creepy

nekkid

Surely it would be better for them to serve for a charity that helps victims of acid attacks rather than being a private nurse for their victim, which is just super creepy

Court-mandated direct victim/attacker interaction is pretty successful for rehabilitation. Closure for the victim, and the attacker understands cause and effect a lot better.

I'm not educated on what the max sentences are for this type of assault but they should be longer.

I thought I'd check, and GBH has a maximum penalty of life. According to the Crown Prosecution Service the prosecutor guidelines have been updated to advise them to press for this maximum sentence if they can demonstrate to the court that the defendant acted with "intent to maim, disfigure or disable".

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...n-service-cps-east-london-burns-a7877311.html

And I have to say I hate it when people say "oh it's gang violence, normal people are safe." The country isn't divided into gangs, and all violence negatively affects the public peace. In this epidemic, however, it's clear that the types of attack and the profiles of the victims are not typical of the kind usually dismissed as "gang violence."

Court-mandated direct victim/attacker interaction is pretty successful for rehabilitation. Closure for the victim, and the attacker understands cause and effect a lot better.

Usually applied in low-level cases. In cases of GBH it is a given that the attacker is a danger to all and must not be left at liberty for a considerable time. Typically a court might add an order forbidding the attacker to approach the victim.

iMax

I disagree with this.

In cases such as this, eye for an eye is more than justifiable.

So you think the justice system should itself be above the law? What kind of an example is that setting?

We do not respond to atrocities with equal barbaric force.

We do not respond to atrocities with equal barbaric force.

Quite. The courts have the power to keep the attackers off the streets for a long time, or sentence them to life. In the UK life means even after they've served the full tariff they can only be freed on licence, with parole requirements for the rest of their lives, and subject to instant return to complete their sentence if they ever put a foot wrong again.

MegaMelon

Glad (?) to hear this is gang related and not one of the much more horrible random/racial/robbery based attacks. Heck I'm going Westfield on Friday for some shopping and was using the train day after that bomb recently on the underground...gotta keep your head held high and carry on I guess.

nekkid

Glad (?) to hear this is gang related and not one of the much more horrible random/racial/robbery based attacks. Heck I'm going Westfield on Friday for some shopping and was using the train day after that bomb recently on the underground...gotta keep your head held high and carry on I guess.

I do get this, and I’ve been to London a lot recently without batting an eyelid.

However, I’d seriously think twice about taking my kids right now. So I guess the terrorists and these assholes have done their job.

Breakage

It's Newham again. That borough has the highest number of acid attacks in London (and the rest of the country, I think).

99Luffy

Banned
This is the point and why I said it's a shitty situation. There is advice for and against water rinsing, it can be a gamble.

It depends on the chemical itself or how you apply the water as someone else here stated, it can spread the substance and burn more of the victim.

Someone my sister knew many years ago had a type of acid thrown at her, landed on her arm. Water was used naturally in the panic to help. Dr said it made the injury a lot worse, ate more tissue because of increased heat.
Do you know what the other option is for that situation if you only have water available at the time?

Syder

I thought I'd check, and GBH has a maximum penalty of life. According to the Crown Prosecution Service the prosecutor guidelines have been updated to advise them to press for this maximum sentence if they can demonstrate to the court that the defendant acted with "intent to maim, disfigure or disable".

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...n-service-cps-east-london-burns-a7877311.html

And I have to say I hate it when people say "oh it's gang violence, normal people are safe." The country isn't divided into gangs, and all violence negatively affects the public peace. In this epidemic, however, it's clear that the types of attack and the profiles of the victims are not typical of the kind usually dismissed as "gang violence."
Glad to hear prosecutors are being encouraged to throw the book at anyone doing this.

Also in that article about the acid response kits:

But the Met chief said only 5 per cent of London’s acid attacks relate to inter-gang violence.

Offences involving robberies, such as the 90-minute rampage of attacks on moped drivers in Islington, Hackney and Stratford in July, are more typical, making up a quarter of all incidents.

Demoskinos

Acid attacks are especially heinous. Having some asshole disfigure you for life would be emotionally and mentally damaging for the rest of your life.

Top Bottom