• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Six Years Ago "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" Was Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Easily my favorite Ye albums, and one of my favorite albums of all time overall.

I do tend to agree with folks that it's a bit overproduced. In fact, I actually preferred the leaks of several songs over the final, mastered versions. Unfortunately I deleted those copies right after the official release because I didn't realize they were so different until it was too late : ( .

I've tried to find them, but even what.cd didn't have them (I think they had a rule against leaks?), and blogs either pulled them or the uploads have expired.

I try to listen to the whole thing, and watch the short film, at least once per year. So good.

Blueingreen

Best rap album of the decade so far imo, the production is unreal and in terms of content it cements Kanye's unique identity in the genre 9.5/10

I have a weird love hate relationship with subsequent albums tho, Yeezus for the most part sounded like welfare Death Grips, and TLOP is a straight up inconsistent mess, great instrumentals defecated by poor lyrics and rhyming.

Not a big fan of it, honestly. I've always like Kanye's penchant for bringing in influence from different sources, and I wish more producers would incorporate instrumentation the way he has.

I'm a huge fan of the last track though. The end of Lost, where it just drops to the tribal drums....magnificent.

hughesta

Banned
Everyone can have arguments and debates about which Kanye album is their favorite (Yeezus is mine) but MBDTF is undeniably his best, and it isn't a stretch to call it the best album of the decade so far. Absolute masterpiece from top to bottom.

So Appalled's beat is one of my favorites of all time.

Anth0ny

still the best Kanye album and still the album of the decade. I doubt anything in the next 3 years will be able to dethrone it.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Was going through a bad break up at the time. How she gonna wake up and love me no more?

Avalanche

Looking back, not many albums this decade feel like all time classics that you wouldn't be surprised to see on a top 50 of all time. I think part of this is that it takes time for a classic to cement itself as such. But I felt it the second Who Will Survive In America finished.

The stories about Hawaii, the Runaway film, Good Fridays, the return of the exiled misfit. It almost feels like a disservice to just call it a great album.

bwXFwTw.png

Cx5cFZOVQAAAgCx.jpg

Here's an amazing article about the making of the album everyone should read.

Kanye Performs "Runaway" at 2010 VMAs

Wait, RZA didn't produce so appalled right? Thought he only had the feature at the end

I really failed to understand the album. It didn't gel with me, and that's entirely on me. I much preferred 808's & Heartbreak.

I have to give it another chance.

it's so good. hell of a life is the only track that isn't, like, amazing. and it's still a pretty good cool down track after runaway.

all the guest verses are on point, yes even fergie. even jay-z.

it's so good. hell of a life is the only track that isn't, like, amazing. and it's still a pretty good cool down track after runaway.

all the guest verses are on point, yes even fergie. even jay-z.
So Appalled is the only non amazing track.
Hell of A Life is insane.
The three beat breakdowns>>>>>

This album is an example of man in mastery of his craft. Album of the decade, and a definitive classic. The So Appalled to Devil In New Dress to Runaway transition is my favorite ever.

Now drop a remaster please.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Six years later Kanye is living in his beautiful dark twisted fantasy.

Hope he gets well.

Easily his best album, and one of the greatest rap/hip-hop albums of all time (top 5 for me at least). The extra track that came out for it at the time, See Me Now, is still one of my favorite Kanye beats. That song is catchy as fuck.

Snagret

This album is magic. I'm not usually much of a hiphop fan, but occasionally some albums poke through and get my attention. There's so much variety and creativity and energy and so much of it just works.

mozfan12

Banned
I always thought Hell of Life is an incredibly underrated song in Kanye's discography simply because its in an album of perfect or iconic songs. The zenith of Kanye albums (which is saying something since he doesn't even have a decent album, they have all be good to great in my opinion) A masterpiece.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Balding Donald Trump stealing dollars form y'all.

We live in a trumpd nation, just living in stagnation.

Naw I call that regression, a nation in depression.

Let that be a lesson to yall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom