• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Six Years Ago "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" Was Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much head, I woke up in Sleepy Hollow.

I love MBDTF more every time I listen to it, from the second Nicki comes in with her "You might think you've peeped the scene".

IrishNinja

Not at all hating on your opinion. One thing I've always liked about Ye is how everyone has such differing opinions about what their favorite album(s) are.

appreciated - and yeah, up until TLOP i thought he had one of the more consistent discographies in hip hop over the last decade or more, honestly. ranking his albums is always a tired battle in gaf-hop, but i think it's interesting that revisiting can affect them too...i definitely took to 808's more in recent years than i did at its release. i'm not ruling out this one possibly doing the same one day (and trying it again last year did give me a more favorable response) but i still came out of it thinking it was (purposely, i suppose) poorly mixed and slightly overrated...but fuck do i like "Gorgeous".

i likewise find it hard to imagine people didn't at least acknowledge Graduation as a bit of a drop off after Late Registration too.

CrayToes

Not just the best Kanye album, not just the best hip hop album, but arguably the best mainstream album since the turn of the millennium.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
One of the best albums of the last 10 years and one of the best rap albums of all time. Pure perfection.

Upinsmoke

Yeah, was definitely not feeling this version of Kanye. I absolutely hate this album. I felt there was nothing memorable for me. Also can we be careful with using the term "classic". That should be reserved for the higher echelon and I think his work at this time is not on this level. Maybe Yeezus out of his post graduation stuff, maybe, since it's so out there.

I really like this album, but I'm not sure about the classic tag, I mean it's all down to the listener, I prefer college dropout over this. I preferred Kanye lyrically on his first couple of albums. Lately I just don't understand the direction of his music despite appreciating the production of them.

Can't lie though the first time I heard Runaway I fell in love with it. Not lyrically mind.

mozfan12

Banned
appreciated - and yeah, up until TLOP i thought he had one of the more consistent discographies in hip hop over the last decade or more, honestly. ranking his albums is always a tired battle in gaf-hop, but i think it's interesting that revisiting can affect them too...i definitely took to 808's more in recent years than i did at its release. i'm not ruling out this one possibly doing the same one day (and trying it again last year did give me a more favorable response) but i still came out of it thinking it was (purposely, i suppose) poorly mixed and slightly overrated...but fuck do i like "Gorgeous".

i likewise find it hard to imagine people didn't at least acknowledge Graduation as a bit of a drop off after Late Registration too.

What...I love TLOP but I guess that proves my point. Then again, I gotta agree with Graduation, it's his worst album in my opinion. It's a good album but it felt like the b side to LR with a couple of stunners.

IrishNinja

What...I love TLOP but I guess that proves my point. Then again, I gotta agree with Graduation, it's his worst album in my opinion. It's a good album but it felt like the b side to LR with a couple of stunners.

...really? what are your favorites on TLOP, i know i should give it another go sometime, it was just weird having that & views from the 6 coming up spending the shortest time in my rotation, just didn't feel there was much worth holding onto with either

jurgen

MBDTF was the peak for Kanye
and a lot of other artists featured on the album

Kanye's biggest problem is that his album production these days seems to have the mentality of a college student writing a paper the night before it's due. The well-documented production problems of Yeezus and Pablo make it clear that he's getting lackadaisical.

Yeezus is... different. It's incredibly experimental and leans more to a post-industrial style of hip hop. Think like a commercial take on Death Grips, in fact many cynics will argue that Kanye must have discovered Death Grips while making this album (some tracks like On Sight are egregious examples).

I was at Bonnaroo the weekend that he dropped Yeezus. Death Grips performed that Saturday afternoon and was fucking furious about it.

mozfan12

Banned
...really? what are your favorites on TLOP, i know i should give it another go sometime, it was just weird having that & views from the 6 coming up spending the shortest time in my rotation, just didn't feel there was much worth holding onto with either

I had an initial negative reaction to TLOP, it was this overproduced mess of an album with some of his worse traits at the forefront, see "Facts," it just felt like a total brick at first. But it's a grower, I like it when an artist throws everything at the wall, and doesnt really care to see what sticks. Im not saying it's as good as the Sign O' the Times or The White Album, but I like Ye just throwing out a mess of album that has facets from every phase of his career. It's not perfect, but I still find it to be great.I actually find about 85% to be essential now. I mean ULB, Father pt 1 and 2, FML, Feedback, Waves, 30 hours, Real Friends, Fade..the list goes on.

IrishNinja

I had an initial negative reaction to TLOP, it was this overproduced mess of an album with some of his worse traits at the forefront, see "Facts," it just felt like a total brick at first. But it's a grower, I like it when an artist throws everything at the wall, and doesnt really care to see what sticks. Im not saying it's as good as the Sign O' the Times or The White Album, but I like Ye just throwing out a mess of album that has facets from every phase of his career. It's not perfect, but I still find it to be great.I actually find about 85% to be essential now. I mean ULB, Father pt 1 and 2, FML, Feedback, Waves, 30 hours, Real Friends, Fade..the list goes on.

damn, you're kinda describing how i took to most of Yeezus, haha. point taken, i'm gonna revisit this one later, prolly next year when i'm done bumping this new Tribe shit!

I think TLOP can be considered a greatest hits album from Kanye. It's almost like if GOOD Fridays were turned into an album. Yeah there's not really a cohesive thought,but I see it more of a better version of Cruel Summer.

Speaking of which, when is Winter supposed to drop

NotLiquid

I'm trying to imagine a world where TLOP released after MBDTF instead of Yeezus and it ended up being more of a proper album instead of what we got. If years of media scrutiny yielded such a powerful album with MBDTF, I can't imagine how I'd react the first time I'd get to hear Real Friends after a mixture of years in radio silence as well as consciously negative attention drawn to him.

Shit was so powerful when I first heard it and I thought that was going to be a second redemption moment. I wish the rest of the album was as good as that song.

I was at Bonnaroo the weekend that he dropped Yeezus. Death Grips performed that Saturday afternoon and was fucking furious about it.

Really? That's incredibly interesting to say the least.

eggandI

Banned
Being a Ye stan in 2016

imagec2kgx.gif

Blueingreen

NOT ENOUGH BANGERS FOR YOU?!?!?!

Damn.

Naah just really boring, by the time I reached track 8 the album had pretty much said everything it had to say for me, I thought GKMC already touched on most of the themes but better. Outside of Blacker The Berry most of the songs were quite forgettable imo.

His best in my eyes is still College Dropout. This is where things started getting weird and just not that interesting - dude should have just stuck to making dope rap songs because he's nowhere near as talented an "artist" as he thinks he is.

NotLiquid

Naah just really boring, by the time I reached track 8 the album had pretty much said everything it had to say for me, I thought GKMC already touched on most of the themes but better. Outside of Blacker The Berry most of the songs were quite forgettable imo.

While I can understand preferring GKMC to TPAB, I wouldn't say the themes overlap very much (Hood Politics being one of the exceptions imo). GKMC, despite having a broad setting, is a concept album only about a very specific story and depending on your life circumstances it might not be the easiest to relate to. TPAB is way less linear and deals more generally with themes of perspective, overall I imagine the message of that album is able to reach way more people. They're two sides of one coin, essentially.

Last truly great Ye album. No matter how much I try I can't like more than like 3 songs on TLOP.

Yeezus just felt like a weird detour but I did like it overall.

OldMan

Banned
Last truly great Ye album. No matter how much I try I can't like more than like 3 songs on TLOP.

Yeezus just felt like a weird detour but I did like it overall.
Between the combination of Yeezus and TLOP really got me looking forward to turbografx 16.

Last good thing Kanye put out.
Yeezus is amazing get out of here.
I'm trying to imagine a world where TLOP released after MBDTF instead of Yeezus and it ended up being more of a proper album instead of what we got. If years of media scrutiny yielded such a powerful album with MBDTF, I can't imagine how I'd react the first time I'd get to hear Real Friends after a mixture of years in radio silence as well as consciously negative attention drawn to him.

Shit was so powerful when I first heard it and I thought that was going to be a second redemption moment. I wish the rest of the album was as good as that song.

Really? That's incredibly interesting to say the least.
Wouldn't fit after MBDTF, either way it's a bottom two Kanye album so it can't match up Yeezus.

hampig

I hated rap before this album. Wouldn't even give it a chance, just thought it was all mindless, talent-less, bland. MBDTF showed me how stupid and completely wrong I was, it's opened up a lot of musical doors for me and I still love the album to death. Hope Kanye picks himself back up, even if he doesn't ever top this album, the dude has skill.

NandoGip

I hated rap before this album. Wouldn't even give it a chance, just thought it was all mindless, talent-less, bland. MBDTF showed me how stupid and completely wrong I was, it's opened up a lot of musical doors for me and I still love the album to death. Hope Kanye picks himself back up, even if he doesn't ever top this album, the dude has skill.

This is the story of Kanye and his music. I think he'll be looked back at as the #1 artist in Hiphop, making him easily one of the top artists of the last 20-30 years.

His last decent album, but it was legitimately great. After that his music started mimicking his fashion line.

I disagree on both statements

see5harp

Kanye on CD and LR was definitely a better rapper than he is now.

God I listened to CD yesterday and it's so goddamn good.

I also find the production as a whole to be a lot more
Cohesive on those albums. Mbdtf is when it started to get confusing to me. I blame Kanye and Cudi for Travis Scott.

CoolOff

And the best tracks were left off the damn album too... Miss those Good Fridays.

Christian Dior Denim Flow>>>>>>>>

Man, I must've heard this back when, but not been enough of a hip-hop head to appreciate it. Been on repeat all day.

As for MBDTF, Hell of a Life has stood out as severely underrated recently. Such a filthy instrumental, and a nice precursor to Yeezus.

ohlawd

boring as hell. tries so hard to have a message. and it's overproduced as fuck. peeps always claim LR to be overproduced but naw man MBDTF takes it

Gorgeous bangs tho. I don't like most of the verses in the album but Rick Ross in Devil in a New Dress? classic verse. both dudes should be proud; one for spitting so well and the other for getting a great verse that sorta balances the blandness the rest of the wack verses we got.

TheContact

Everyone can have arguments and debates about which Kanye album is their favorite (Yeezus is mine) but MBDTF is undeniably his best, and it isn't a stretch to call it the best album of the decade so far. Absolute masterpiece from top to bottom.

So Appalled's beat is one of my favorites of all time.

I don't even get the appeal of Yeezus. Even Kanye said it was a rebellion against music. It sounds like garbage. But to each his own.

Not

Banned
Probably pushed me into hiphop more than any other album. If my musical taste is limited now, imagine me at 18

Ovid

"Devil In A Blue Dress" felt like a throwback to Late Registration. Love that song.

"So Appalled" sold me though.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Incredible album, but more impressive is that he topped even that with Yeezus.

because it sounds dope. Hold My LIquor is gorgeous, I'm In It is hype as hell, Guilt Trip is just fantastic all around.

and those are the most under-rated tracks. You'll see plenty of other people pointing out the good in Black Skinhead/New Slaves/BOTL.

Every track on Yeezus is incredible for me, one of the rare perfect records. I never get tired of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom