• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ski masks become popular beachwear in Chinese city

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Ugh.

And the "peasant" comments just sound like flat-out racism.

What? No. It is classism.

They don't want to not look like a black person. They want to not look like a Chinese person who spends a lot of time working outdoors.

italianspiderman02.jpg

They don't want to not look like a black person. They want to not look like a Chinese person who spends a lot of time working outdoors.
They would rather look like some kind of S&M monster than have a slight tan for a couple days . That's reasonable!

Big-E

Ugh.

They say peasant because traditionally, even in Europe a long time ago, the wealthy valued pale skin. Farmers and laborers worked in the sun so they were darker. This is class based, not race based.

Az987

all good things
Dammit. I was going to go to bed but now I'm so incredibly turned on I don't know what to do!

rpmurphy

They would rather look like some kind of S&M monster than have a slight tan for a couple days . That's reasonable!
I'm just glad that foot binding is still banned. I can imagine some of these fools trying to do stupid stuff like that again just to show their social status.

DiscoJer

You still see this sort of thing in the US, too. The use of the term "redneck" is still quite common and seemingly acceptable. Yet it has the same root - (some) people get red necks from working outside doing labor.

Hypnotoad

Haha, not unexpected with the white skin obsession here, will look for that next time I'm at the beach in Qingdao.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The attitude about fair skin isn't limited to the Chinese, though I am embarrassed that my people took it to such fashionably revolting extremes.
Yep. I've got an Indian friend who will noticeably tan and her family gives her shit about it.

suzu

They all seem to be crazy old ladies in the article. The rest of the beach goers find it too much.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
"I'm afraid of getting dark."

Come on, ladies. It's not so bad. Take it from me!

Jimrpg

As an Asian person, this is pretty fucking embarrassing. It's practically ethnocentrism inverted upon one self, except in this case it's taken to hideous heights.

Really, outside of anything involving actual oppression and violence against others it's one of the most disgusting cultural "traditions" around outside of the US.

i find your narrow view of the world embarrassing...

the ski masks aren't exactly 'hot' but for you to be embarrased and disgusted by something where they are not hurting or harming anyone disgusts me.

“A woman should always have fair skin,” one mask-wearing bather explained. “Otherwise people will think you’re a peasant.”
KuGsj.gif

humanity

Simplet

Out of all the things chinese women do to have fair skin, that's probably one of the less crazy. It's probably a little uncomfortable but you mainly just look strange. I've seen women riding bikes in the sun when it was 40+ (celcius) outside wearing wool sweaters (only the sleeves, still must have been torture), or those really long gloves that go up to the shoulders that you wear with a formal dress.

NekoFever

“Does it look like I care what people think?” bellowed Su Ailing, 57, clad in a red mask, blue goggles and a wetsuit.
Uh, yes? Why else would you be on the beach wearing a mask and wetsuit?

It's funny how this kind of thing crosses cultures once they move away from an agricultural society. 'Redneck' meaning the same thing has been mentioned, and it's also the reason why the European aristocracy look deathly pale in portraits from a couple hundred years ago.

Ugh.

Peasants work out in the fields, under the sun. It has nothing to do with racism. If they wanted to be racist they wouldn't use the word peasant. It has mostly to do with China being a materialistic class conscious culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom