• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

skies of arcadia - version question

BuddyC

I have the DC version of Skies of Arcadia, but only got a few hours in. I'm thinking about picking up the GC version and playing through that, but is it really worth picking up, or am I just better off with the DC version?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I didn't really notice a big difference in that respect, though. The number of encounters seemed basically the same...

On the otherhand, the GC version has downgraded music and bad texture compression issues. It's a decent version, though.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Well there was extra content in the GC version...

Soul4ger

Considering GameStop is selling it for likr $18, I'd be hard pressed not to recommend it. I think the GC version is better overall, more streamlined, quicker, less battles, some cool extras, but the music isn't as good, and the score is godly. Like I said, $18. Can't pass it up.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
BuddyChrist83 said:
what about the added plot elements? did they make it worth it, or no?

I would say yes, if you never played the game.... I would say no if you are replaying the game to see the extra plot elements

dark10x

Oh yeah, forgot about loading...

The battles load much faster on GC (though it looks glitchy as a result because they cut down on the transition animations). Obviously there is the new content as well...

It really sucks because it COULD HAVE been the ultimate version, but they each have their quirks...

dark10x said:
I didn't really notice a big difference in that respect, though. The number of encounters seemed basically the same...

On the otherhand, the GC version has downgraded music and bad texture compression issues. It's a decent version, though.

Bullshit. The GC version has a lot less random battles. I know, cause the random encounters were the reason i stopped playing the DC version a few hours in. It was just too much. If anything, the "downgraded music" and "bad texture compression" are what are really harder to notice.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I picked my copy up at Fry's for $9.99 this weekend. I never played the Dreamcast version, so hopefully this should be good. For $10, how can you go wrong?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I personnally find the added content easilly outweighs any inconsistencies in audio/visual flair on the GC. (Though the sound quality definately took a dive; the GC version adds new textures and polygons to certain environments and player models which I found were more appealing. Fingers!!)

The new stuff includes several optional boss encounters sprinkled periodically throughout the quest with a brand new 'rival' pirate girl that will really stretch your chosen tactics farther than most of the vanilla boss encounters ever require. My personal favorite reason for playing the Cube version really, twas great fun trying to whittle her down every few hours of gameplay. There are several other new 'bounty hunt' fights near the lategame that are optional to take on but very entertaining all the same, including one against a team of dopplegangers.

There are also several new -subtle- cutscenes and sidequests that push the character development and backstory farther than the DC game (if you are into that sort of thing). Most of them are tied with the new bounty hunting sidequests, but they do flesh out some details of the main storyline.

LOTS and LOTS of new discoveries around the overworld if you are also into doing that.

Of course doing all of this crap earns you some great rewards including brand new weaponry for your team.

There is no doubt, the GC version packs in more content; easilly the recommended version to play, but most of it is entirely optional...

dark10x

Ninja Scooter said:
Bullshit. The GC version has a lot less random battles. I know, cause the random encounters were the reason i stopped playing the DC version a few hours in. It was just too much. If anything, the "downgraded music" and "bad texture compression" are what are really harder to notice.

Really? Perhaps you are right, but it honestly didn't seem all that different to me. Heck, the GC version loses the "preparation time" of the DC version (where one could listen for the DC to suddenly access the disc about 2-3 seconds before a battle...allowing you to jump to your menu JUST BEFORE a fight and get ready! :p)

The audio is EXTREMELY noticible. I mean, I was playing this version when someone walked into the room and IMMEDIATELY commented on the music.

Bah. The GC version is much, much better for no other reason that a) the encounters happen at a reasonable rate, and b) the battle load times aren't obscenely long. Enhances the playability of the game a hundredfold.

BuddyC

went to gamecrazy this morning, they wanted $35 for a used, stickered up copy.

gamestop, on the other hand, wanted $20 for a new copy, and gave me decent credit for al those pennied-out strategy guides i took in.

Top Bottom