• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sky Sports launches F1 channel - Sky Sports F1 HD - The ultimate Formula 1 experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruttyboy

Great idea, by not tuning in to the BBC, you justify the decision even further. Assuming anyone else does the same thing of course (which I doubt).

Are you saying the justification for the decision was that not enough people watched it when it was free and that having to pay for it is supposed to improve that situation? 0_o

Think it through, everyone who watches it on Sky is also a lost BBC viewer, so when you add together viewers lost to Sky and those like me who are unwilling to pay the only result is fewer viewers overall.

Suairyu

Banned
So wait - did they buy the rights at the exclusion of the BBC? Because when the BBC got the rights back a couple of years ago it was the first time I'd enjoyed following the sport in years, helped no end by the absolutely incredible coverage.

BBC coverage of the Superbowl is also quite good. They help me no end understanding that weird and wonderful sport.

herod

Wow, do you actually believe that? You want the sport to become dependent on TV money like football is?

The greatest source of revenue for F1 is advertising, anything that reduces the number of people seeing sponsorship is counter productive and have no fear, viewing figures will drop massively once it goes Sky only, I can't believe anyone would even try to argue otherwise.

Also, nice one on the 'you're a pauper' accusations, that's definitely what this is about.

Let's see. "Formula One can be seen live or tape delayed in almost every country and territory around the world and attracts one of the largest global television audiences. The 2008 season attracted a global audience of 600 million people per race.

It is a massive television event; the cumulative television audience was calculated to be 54 billion for the 2001 season, broadcast to two hundred countries."

Yes, I expect they're really going to become dependent on UK Sky subscribers. Get real.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
The question is to whether the Sky deal will mean more or less viewers for F1.

In the UK, it will mean less viewers, full stop.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Viewing figures will never match the BBC's, which over the past three years are in the 4.5 million mark. Even the big premiership football matches average only 1 million on Sky Sports and the Champions League final on ITV always tops Sky Sports. They're fooling themselves if they think F1 will do any better than the football, cricket, rugby. They'll be lucky to get a million viewers per race and that will reduce significantly with the shared races. Not the death of F1 in the UK, but a step in that direction. But it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things as the UK only accounts for a paltry amount of the total world wide viewership. Sooner or later the teams will relocate their factories abroad and the UK's significant influence in F1 will come to an end.

Adamm

So wait - did they buy the rights at the exclusion of the BBC? Because when the BBC got the rights back a couple of years ago it was the first time I'd enjoyed following the sport in years, helped no end by the absolutely incredible coverage.

BBC coverage of the Superbowl is also quite good. They help me no end understanding that weird and wonderful sport.

BBC wanted to cut costs, so they sold the rights to Sky before thier contract was up.
They struck a deal so they would be able to show 10 live races with a year while Sky show all 20. (BBC show highlights of the other 10)

ruttyboy

Let's see. "Formula One can be seen live or tape delayed in almost every country and territory around the world and attracts one of the largest global television audiences. The 2008 season attracted a global audience of 600 million people per race.

It is a massive television event; the cumulative television audience was calculated to be 54 billion for the 2001 season, broadcast to two hundred countries."

Yes, I expect they're really going to become dependent on UK Sky subscribers. Get real.

Read up about how valuable a 1st world viewer is to an advertiser compared to a 3rd world viewer and get back to me.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Edmond Dantès;32953441 said:
Viewing figures will never match the BBC's, which over the past three years are in the 4.5 million mark. Even the big premiership football matches average only 1 million on Sky Sports and the Champions League final on ITV always tops Sky Sports. They're fooling themselves if they think F1 will do any better than the football, cricket, rugby. They'll be lucky to get a million viewers per race and that will reduce significantly with the shared races. Not the death of F1 in the UK, but a step in that direction. But it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things as the UK only accounts for a paltry amount of the total world wide viewership. Sooner or later the teams will relocate their factories abroad and the UK's significant influence in F1 will come to an end.

It would be practically impossible for Sky to reach the BBC's numbers, there are currently only 3.8million Sky HD customers in the UK, so even if every single one of them watched F1 they would still be short by over 700,000 viewers.

I think you're right, they'll be lucky to get 1 million viewers.

20% of the households in the UK capable of watching F1 on the BBC did so.

If 20% of the Sky customers capable of watching F1 do so, then they'll be looking at about 750,000 viewers.

That'll be quite a drop in audience for the sponsors to deal with.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
It would be practically impossible for Sky to reach the BBC's numbers, there are currently only 3.8million Sky HD customers in the UK, so even if every single one of them watched F1 they would still be short by over 700,000 viewers.

I think you're right, they'll be lucky to get 1 million viewers.
What happened to cricket, will happen to F1, I'm afraid.

Suairyu

Banned
BBC wanted to cut costs, so they sold the rights to Sky before thier contract was up.
They struck a deal so they would be able to show 10 live races with a year while Sky show all 20. (BBC show highlights of the other 10)
Sigh.

Very, very rarely I wish the BBC had actual income to reward higher viewership numbers. Then I realise if that was the way it worked it wouldn't be nearly as good as it is in the first place. But still, it's upsetting to see them doing such a good job and calling it quits due to costs.

Sky Sports F1 just tweeted saying the channel will not be coming to Freeview or Freesat :(

Well thats bullshit. F1 going to Sky was the worst decision for the sport in the UK. Averaged above 4 millions viewers per race with a few of them in the 7-8 million.

herod

Read up about how valuable a 1st world viewer is to an advertiser compared to a 3rd world viewer and get back to me.

What about an affluent first world viewer getting a much higher quality service? If you can't even afford Sky, how much are your eyeballs really worth?

If this is so bad for F1 in the UK then why we're the BBC allowed to sell off their rights like this? Surely there must have been some kind of binding clause for F1's side to protect the sport?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
If this is so bad for F1 in the UK then why we're the BBC allowed to sell off their rights like this? Surely there must have been some kind of binding clause for F1's side to protect the sport?
F1's not a protected event unlike Wimbledon for example; never has and never will be. There's no obligation to cover it. It's still very much a niche sport, just like all motorsports.

ruttyboy

What about an affluent first world viewer getting a much higher quality service? If you can't even afford Sky, how much are your eyeballs really worth?

Depends what colour they are obviously.

As for a higher quality service though, what are you getting that the BBC didn't already provide? The BBC covered all the practices, qualy and the race with no adverts as it was. You're going to be paying money to have vacuous 'F1 discussion' shows that try to fill time desperately.

EDIT: @ Vivalaraza - I think you're giving the FIA and F1 management too much credit in seeing things long term rather than MONEY NOW!

herod

F1 isn't a protected sport at all. It's not exactly an open participation sport either; comparison with Cricket and Football is very strange to me.

The link between free to air, and the teams being based in the UK is also rather tenuous.

herod

As for a higher quality service though, what are you getting that the BBC didn't already provide?

I already said this but I'm happy to expand. These announcements are obviously just the start.

- HD, recordable practice sessions (no red button SD crap), important to me as for example, today alone I've missed P1 and P2 because I'm at work. Already the amount I can watch will expand by up to 3 hours per race weekend.
- Dedicated streamed content. It was not even possible to watch iPlayer streamed sessions on my iPad, but if I so choose I could now fire it up and start watching wherever I am.

The rest is speculation, but given their superiority in other sports broadcasting, it's easy to predict:

- Much better anchoring than clueless Jake (who clearly knew fuck all about the sport early on, and is still pretty useless) and obnoxious Eddie.
- More and better interactive content
- Hopefully better on-screen graphics. The default 4:3 graphics are terrible. Sky can do much, much better (the Cricket is an awesome example here).
- Relevant programming that isn't just about the race weekend. Classic race coverage that isn't limited to five laps on a red button service.
- News - I don't want to have to go around various websites to pick up on what's going on. Rumours are interesting. Sky Sports News offers great coverage of other sports, no reason why they can't ratchet up the F1 coverage as well.

These are just my base expectations as a consumer, I'm sure they will add a lot more interesting stuff.

Adamm

- Hopefully better on-screen graphics. The default 4:3 graphics are terrible. Sky can do much, much better (the Cricket is an awesome example here).

The graphics during the race are from the world feed. Sky will get the same feed.
Unless you are talking about other graphics?

ANDY_098

I already said this but I'm happy to expand. These announcements are obviously just the start.

- HD, recordable practice sessions (no red button SD crap), important to me as for example, today alone I've missed P1 and P2 because I'm at work. Already the amount I can watch will expand by up to 3 hours per race weekend.
- Dedicated streamed content. It was not even possible to watch iPlayer streamed sessions on my iPad, but if I so choose I could now fire it up and start watching wherever I am.

The rest is speculation, but given their superiority in other sports broadcasting, it's easy to predict:

- Much better anchoring than clueless Jake (who clearly knew fuck all about the sport early on, and is still pretty useless) and obnoxious Eddie.
- Relevant programming that isn't just about the race weekend. Classic race coverage that isn't limited to five laps on a red button service.
- News - I don't want to have to go around various websites to pick up on what's going on. Rumours are interesting. Sky Sports News offers great coverage of other sports, no reason why they can't ratchet up the F1 coverage as well.

These are just my base expectations as a consumer, I'm sure they will add a lot more interesting stuff.

All the on screen graphics are part of the FOM feed so Sky will have no control over these. Agree with the rest of it though.

BBC>Sky

Forever and always. Sky obviously have the quantity as it stands, but I'll wait and see if they can come close to the perfection that is BBC's coverage before declaring them as having superior F1 coverage

herod

The graphics during the race are from the world feed. Sky will get the same feed.
Unless you are talking about other graphics?

Some countries get graphic-free feeds and use their own graphics. I'm sure Sky will have negotiated something similar.

ruttyboy

Fair enough, but as a peasant I'd be happy to let you have all that whilst retaining the ability to keep my 'shitty' BBC coverage.

Also, who's their new anchor going to be, Jim Davidson? Would be an improvement over Andy Gray I suppose ;-)

Wes

venison crêpe
It's clearly going to be Sky only in a few years anyway, so I'll drop it now while the BBC are giving us half coverage rather than wait until they stop all coverage.

Pretty much my sentiments. I'll continue to listen on Five Live as I have been doing, if anything.

Yen

They'll increase the audiences by providing a much higher quality service than the BBC can even dream of.
The Canadian GP had viewing figures of 9m at one stage. Sky will have <1m (PL football has viewing figures of <1m on Sky).

Wes

venison crêpe

Reminds me of the Cricket fuck up. I wish it never left Channel 4. "Replays on Channel 5" do not count. I want it live dammit.

Empty

Reminds me of the Cricket fuck up. I wish it never left Channel 4. "Replays on Channel 5" do not count. I want it live dammit.

still a tragedy. the atmosphere in this country when the 2005 ashes were on can't be replicated when you cut it off to a niche of sport lovers, and most kids can no longer get into cricket like i did by sitting in front of the tv watching tests on a lazy summer day.

Wes

venison crêpe
still a tragedy. the atmosphere in this country when the 2005 ashes were on can't be replicated when you cut it off to a niche of sport lovers, and most kids can no longer get into cricket like i did by sitting in front of the tv watching tests on a lazy summer day.

The difference between that day, and the day after we won when it was shown on Sky, was huge. Just made me resent Sky (and the government) too.

Xun

I said it in the official thread but this really is the death of the sport in the UK.

What a huge shame.

AngryMoth

Edmond Dantès;32953553 said:
To be fair, Sky's cricket coverage is about as good as it could possibly be. I find it very hard to believe they could ever match the BBC on F1.

Dead Man

Edmond Dantès;32953553 said:

Indeed.

To be fair, Sky's cricket coverage is about as good as it could possibly be. I find it very hard to believe they could ever match the BBC on F1.

No matter how good it is, if no one is watching it doesn't do the sport any good.

kharma45

With Brundle moving to Sky I'd love to see Crofty get moved from 5 Live to the BBC 1 coverage, even just for the live races.

Burai

shitonmychest57
With Brundle moving to Sky I'd love to see Crofty get moved from 5 Live to the BBC 1 coverage, even just for the live races.

Bad luck. David Croft is going to be lead commentator for Sky, with Brundle reverting back to his sidekick role that he had before this year.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I already have Sky Sports (sorry F1 GAF) for my rugby fix so this will do me fine next year and I can watch it on Sky Go/Player in work next year too rather than a crappy internet stream.

Deadman

Can confirm I'll be commentating on Sky Sports F1 in 2012. All races live on dedicated F1 channel + more tech features is what motivates me

Yes I'll be doing grid walks in the future of course, it's my trademark. It's not for me announce who else is working where from next season

I'm convinced two mighty broadcasters in Sky and BBC head to head at 10 races will be great for F1 fans overall. Be patient, lots happening

Yes money is better but with deals I could have put around lower key BBC role + 50% of my income going to UK taxman, not the deciding factor

That's all the news from me today I'm here to commentate on F1 with the creative hard working BBC crew I've had the privilege to be part of

https://twitter.com/#!/MBrundleF1

I was hoping they'd share commentators at the least.

It's going to be so weird having two sets for presenting and commentating. It's going to feel really disjointed.

God this situation is so fucking shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom