• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUELEN10

leehom said:
Woot, confirmation from Sears/Kmart. Can't wait to get my hands on one of these bad boys.
101642.jpg

abrasion

Banned
Guys I need help asap.
I own a PS3 40gb fat with a 320gb hard disk and I adore that machine, I really do.

However she's 2 years old this year and I want a fresh warranty :/ should I sell it and buy the slim? I am quite concerned about the following

Is it as quiet? Since it's smaller perhaps the fan is smaller with a higher RPM :(
(they are attempting to reduce costs)
Is it as reliable (see above)
Finally how does all my downloaded games work? I know how to back up a PS3, using a FAT USB HDD but save games, trophies, downloaded games like wipeout and PJ:Monsters...

Has anyone here swapped their entire PS3, if so how did it work out?

EDIT: I realise some of my questions, none of us will know, I guess I'm thinking aloud - I worry the slim will use cheaper components to reduce that horrible burning hole in Sonys pocket, at our expense.
The regular PS3 is such a quality piece of hardware, don't change :(

theluma

A little conversion

299USD = 181GBP

Could this mean the PS3 will cost 180 quid!?! That would be massive!

Even if it was 200!

Sirolf

HUELEN10 said:
Seriously though, I feel as if this game console will benefit not only Sony, but the entire industry! We're back baby!

Wise words..If only more GAFfers were like you..

klee123

Since the PS3 slim at 299USD is basically confirmed, this really makes the price of the PSP go look stupid at 249USD.

I wonder if Sony will announce reduction of the go at gamescom.

FrankT

manzo said:
As a happy owner of a 60gb BC model with 250gb HDD, the slim doesn't interest me one bit.

However, I'm really interested to see Microsoft answering to this. 299 PS3 slim vs. 299 360 Elite, everyone knows that MS will lose on that front.

Well if they drop the current Pro to $250 with the Elite drop this will mitigate some of that as well, which is most likely to going to be the case. There are still plenty of Pros in stock before the holidays. Still the real price point for Christmas shoppers will be the $199 price point which Sony is still competing with. If MS takes any off that even $20 it will gain even more share.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DoctorWho said:
Big question is - will I be able to switch out the HDD?

Our little adventure in the Phillipines suggests yeah...that it's accessible from the front now. We'll see for sure though later.

Begs the question what on earth happened to that phillipines machine though :lol

cakefoo

DoctorWho said:
Big question is - will I be able to switch out the HDD?
If the leaked factory pics are the real slim and the N4G tipster is legit, the HDD should be accessible from the front panel, just underneath the BD drive.

manzo

klee123 said:
Since the PS3 slim at 299USD is basically confirmed, this really makes the price of the PSP go look stupid at 249USD.

I wonder if Sony will announce reduction of the go at gamescom.

Price reduction for a hardware not even released yet? :lol

But true, 249 vs 299 really does seem awfully weird.

Halvie

Banned
abrasion said:
Is it as quiet? Since it's smaller perhaps the fan is smaller with a higher RPM :(
(they are attempting to reduce costs)
Is it as reliable (see above)
Finally how does all my downloaded games work? I know how to back up a PS3, using a FAT USB HDD but save games, trophies, downloaded games like wipeout and PJ:Monsters...

Has anyone here swapped their entire PS3, if so how did it work out?

EDIT: I realise some of my questions, none of us will know, I guess I'm thinking aloud - I worry the slim will use cheaper components to reduce that horrible burning hole in Sonys pocket, at our expense.
The regular PS3 is such a quality piece of hardware, don't change :(

One would think it would be quiet.
Should be more reliable if(most likely does) include another die shrink.
Not sure on the games saves. I know some will work, and other games like SFIV won't.

Get a slim :)

Dizzle24

Would be awesome if really true...but too soon! I gotta save up to get a Slim; my bills are due next week. :lol
I'd probably buy the slim for myself, and give my 40 gig to my brother.

Sharing is caring and it feels good man. :D

Donos

I think many ppl (also Sony supporters) where (or still are) very skeptical because sony fucked up big time in the past. If they really pull a 299$ / 299€ slim for next week than i bow to them. Hopefully a fresh start ... and GAF will burn when the September NPD hits regardless of if the slim sells good or bad (against a 299$ elite).

More importand is the increase of competition and maybe more support for the PS3 from 3rd Party devs.

Now bring the december GT5 release date and announce the FFVII level pack for LPB and it will be a good day :)

StuBurns

Banned
SmokyDave said:
You can re-download your games but you will lose any non-transferable saves. Trophies will be fine.
I think if you clone the drive, and copy it to the new console, you can transfer the non-transferable saves such as Burnout.

Opus Angelorum said:
If the PS3 Slim is going to be £249.99 then the PSP Go is dead in the water at anything over £199.99...
£225 I reckon (or thereabouts). It fits with how they priced the original PS3.

theluma said:
A little conversion

299USD = 181GBP

Even if it was 200!

we alrerady "knew" the €-price... why make a conversion with the US-no-tax-price instead of the 299€ in the European Union...?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Opus Angelorum said:
If the PS3 Slim is going to be £249.99 then the PSP Go is dead in the water at anything over £199.99...

Isn't there a few UK retail outlets offering the PSP Go @ £199 pre-order already ?

The PS3 at $299 dollars is a ridiculous value, throw in the 120GB HD, a Dual Shock 3, this is awesome. Now I cannot wait to see how this changes/or doesn't change sales.

I predicted we would see nothing about a Slim today, just pricing information. I thought we would hear Slim info further down the road. Sure this may be the worst kept secret ever, but it could have been a fantastic marketing ploy (leaking images, denials, cease and desist orders). We turn on our PS3 this afternoon, get a new update, 3.0 With the Laughter Tracking Software to track all the giddy playstation fans.

I am really anxious to see what the slim looks like and the actual size.

theluma

Psychotext said:
£225 I reckon (or thereabouts). It fits with how they priced the original PS3.

This methinks.

SolidusDave said:
we alrerady "knew" the €-price... why make a conversion with the US-no-tax-price instead of the 299€ in the European Union...?

We did?

abrasion

Banned
theluma said:
A little conversion

299USD = 181GBP

Even if it was 200!

You're so innocent, it's so cute :(
Have you only just moved from the US to the UK? not been there very long I guess?
As a person from a fellow-rip-us-off-even-after-conversion country, I can assure you you're dreaming :(

Pug

If the new PS3 is lowered in price in the UK from £299.99 the £249.99 it will have little impact. It needs a full £100 reduction.

OwNii

Banned
This is baaaaaaaaaad.

Bought my PS3 in June..... Now this.. God damn, I will get owned at my house, everyone will be laughing: This is what you get for not waiting... Selling ps3 lol someone buy.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I don't use BC anymore. I only use my PS3 to watch downloaded movies and play PS3 games. I think I'm gonna sell my BC 80GB and get the Slim ($299 is pretty ACE). Just that $2-- price territory somehow attracts people like a motherfucker. I should probably put my PS3 on ebay today while the Slim is still won't be widely known.

reakt

Sentry said:
Just woke up, im guessing only a few more hours till they announce the slim? :lol
If I were you I would go back to sleep for a few hours. By the time you wake up it'll be slim Christmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom