• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoJo13

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
@ gofreak

Interesting that they say:

"...supply is falling short of the strong demand"

I'm assuming this is not in relation to actual hardware sales, as they are far from stellar. Shipping 4 million units per month, that seems like an awful lot?

This is in relation to Sony's orders for hardware requests. They are requesting high demand from their suppliers.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Opus Angelorum said:
@ gofreak

Interesting that they say:

"...supply is falling short of the strong demand"

I'm assuming this is not in relation to actual hardware sales, as they are far from stellar. Shipping 4 million units per month, that seems like an awful lot?

As JoJo says they're talking about component supply falling short of demand by Sony's manufacturers.

Also, I assumed the 4m units/month referred to the "time division synchronizers used in PS3". Perhaps if 1m PS3s/month is the target for the third quarter, 4 of those are used in each PS3 or something?

My household will be getting two of these badboys when they are released. I've already got a launch PAL 60GB (now 320GB), but my Brother and Father want one each too.

If Sony don't bundle this with Gran Turismo 5 in all regions (particularly the EU), then I will hunt down the decision maker and shit on his breakfast. Its a no-brainer really.

JoJo13

Banned
Galvanise_ said:
My household will be getting two of these badboys when they are released. I've already got a launch PAL 60GB (now 320GB), but my Brother and Father want one each too.

If Sony don't bundle this with Gran Turismo 5 in all regions (particularly the EU), then I will hunt down the decision maker and shit on his breakfast. Its a no-brainer really.

Well if you're in Europe, SCEE seems to bundle every single major 1st party release, so I don't think you'll have much trouble finding a GT5 bundle. But, who knows if it will be this year or not..

spwolf

Opus Angelorum said:

yeah, didnt they get the NPD results? wtf?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
dolemite said:
So is this a sign of a price cut or a Slim model?

You could take it as a sign of either or neither if you wanted.

All it tells us for sure is that they're making more PS3s.

I did find it coincidental however that the companies Digitimes reported as having won PS3 slim contracts have since reported bumper revenue based on, among other things, 'ps3 orders'.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
To clarify:

4 million = number of 'time division synchronizers' shipped to manufacturers per month.

1 million
= number of ps3s being manufactured per month in the third quarter.

At least, according to this article.

Lets not have unnecessary confusion here. It's not 4m PS3s per month :lol

panda21

THEY ARE NOT MAKING 4 MILLION PS3's A MONTH!!! LEARN TO READ

ARGGHHHH

:lol

edit: also from the wording it says 1 million ps3s in the whole of the third quarter, not per month... it says they will get enough components per month, to make 1 million ps3s in the entire third quarter...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
panda21 said:
THEY ARE NOT MAKING 4 MILLION PS3's A MONTH!!! LEARN TO READ

ARGGHHHH

:lol

edit: also from the wording it says 1 million ps3s in the whole of the third quarter, not per month... it says they will get enough components per month, to make 1 million ps3s in the entire third quarter...

Whilst that's strictly speaking correct, I took it to mean the average monthly volume was 1m...I would guess that's what they intended. If 4m is too high, 1m over 3 months is also too low...

AndyD

aka andydumi
gofreak said:
Whilst that's strictly speaking correct, I took it to mean the average monthly volume was 1m...I would guess that's what they intended. If 4m is too high, 1m over 3 months is also too low...

Not for one factory. I think one of the Sony execs said they had over a half dozen factories or so now, as opposed to 2 when they got started making them.

So 3-4 million made over several months is a good amount.

And if we take into consideration the factory to shelf lag of 2 or so months, production starting now means shelf units at the end of September, beggining of October.

cornerman

Don't know if its been discussed, but while at Bestbuy I noticed an ad with the PS3 logo (as seen on the supposed Slim). So yeah...throw that in the pot :D

Erebus

cornerman said:
Don't know if its been discussed, but while at Bestbuy I noticed an ad with the PS3 logo (as seen on the supposed Slim). So yeah...throw that in the pot :D

Don't they use the same logo in their trailers for some time now?

cornerman

DieH@rd said:
pic or it didint happen

Hmm. You're right. I work there part-time (1 day out of the week :D ), so I can make it happen.

Edit: And I'll try to use a decent camera too. My cell phone has a horrid one.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
You sure it wasn't the 'spiderman' PS3 logo?

I mean the 'slim' version hasn't even shown up in trademark offices yet (if we ignore the original non-curvy 'slim' version).

onken

cornerman said:
Hmm. You're right. I work there part-time (1 day out of the week :D ), so I can make it happen.

Edit: And I'll try to use a decent camera too. My cell phone has a horrid one.

What was the ad for?

Septimus

onken said:
What was the ad for?
Are you sure it wasn't this:
playstation.gif
?

onken

gofreak said:
You sure it wasn't the 'spiderman' PS3 logo?

I mean the 'slim' version hasn't even shown up in trademark offices yet (if we ignore the original non-curvy 'slim' version).

That's a good point, though I can't believe there's no way for companies to register something in secret for a limited time, for situations exactly like this.

cornerman

onken said:
That's a good point, though I can't believe there's no way for companies to register something in secret for a limited time, for situations exactly like this.

It was the slim lettered font...kinda similiar to the PS2 logo with the thin lines. It was inside of a plexi-glass frame, sitting on the bottow shelf next to some UnCharted PS3 bundles. And here comes the big disappointment...I didn't really pay attention to what the ad was actually for. DieHard is right, I'm going to have to get a photo, or else GAF will crucify me. I can do that though.

AndyD

aka andydumi
onken said:

There is a way to do just that.

Septimus

They need to have a firmware update to make launching games say PS3 like the inFamous commercial. THen they can put that to the slims as well.

noah111

Still Alive
If cornerman comes back with a picture of this;

playstation.gif

GAF will have his head.

Go back over there and take a nice clear non-shaky picture of that logo. :D

If it really did look sort of like the PS2 logo as you said, then it can't be the spiderman font.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Egmont said:
So what happens if someone tries to trademark something while it's already secretly trademarked?

Application denied.

You apply after all. And the secrecy timeline is short. I forget, its maybe 3 months tops or something along those lines.

But the good thing is that you don't have to apply for it until you start using it. So they can file for it the day before they announce it and use the logo.

Jea Song said:
anybody here actually would prefer a ps3 fat? I don't think I want a slim. My ps3 looks expensive and shiny...
If it looks like the mockup, I'd take the slim 9 times out of 10 vs my glossy behemoth.

expy

Banned
cornerman said:

Sure it wasn't PS2?

cornerman

Sage00 said:
Could just be a thing they made themselves. That font is widely available.

Don't know. I saw it, thought to myself "well look at that", and kept trucking. I don't work on the sales floor, so I don't know what their practices are. I would suspect they can't just put a company's logo on an ad haphazardly though.

I'm just stating what I saw. I'll gladly offer my neck for the guillotine if I'm wrong. I just got on the forum, and I'd hate to start off on the wrong foot.

Loudninja

cornerman said:
Don't know. I saw it, thought to myself "well look at that", and kept trucking. I don't work on the sales floor, so I don't know what their practices are. I would suspect they can't just put a company's logo on an ad haphazardly though.

I'm just stating what I saw. I'll gladly offer my neck for the guillotine if I'm wrong. I just got on the forum, and I'd hate to start off on the wrong foot.

You are not off to a bad start,dont worry ;)

HUELEN10

cornerman said:

Is this logo on any weekly best buy ads or something like that? If not, we will wait. Hope you are right though...

Xeke

Banned
Why does Sony always feel the need to make their console look like its two separate parts that don't match glued together?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom