• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Sentry said:
Is this how it's looking so far? There is no way they will drop the slim from $399 to $349/299 within a few months after release...

Original 80GB w/ MotorStorm says hi. Pretty sure that came out at 599 and was dropped in price after the 60GB stock dried up and 40GB was introduced.

If Sony are going to price the Slim at $399 you'd expect it with the more expensive finish.

Yes they want profit, but reducing the size of the console and going 45nm would easily turn profit on a current PS3 at $399 with the touch buttons and what not. I mean they must cost like an extra $1-2 over mechanical?

I'll be pretty peeved if the Slim is as "cheap" looking as the leak and launches at $399. I love those touch buttons :lol Plastic mechanical buttons can GTFO.

expy

Banned
Audioboxer said:
If Sony are going to price the Slim at $399 you'd expect it with the more expensive finish.

Yes they want profit, but reducing the size of the console and going 45nm would easily turn profit on a current PS3 at $399 with the touch buttons and what not.

I'll be pretty peeved if the Slim is as "cheap" looking as the leak and launches at $399. I love those touch buttons :lol Plastic mechanical buttons can GTFO.

Here's what I think will happen...

LAUNCH

PS3 slim $399 bundled with 1 or 2 pieces of software (different bundles in different regions)
PS3 Fat $299-$349 bundled with software (different bundles in different regions)

ONCE FAT SUPPLY RUNS LOW

PS3 slim $299-349 not bundled with software or bundled with 1 piece of software (different bundles in different regions)
PS3 Fat $249-299 bundled with 1 or 2 pieces of software (different bundles in different regions)

399 for the slim seems completely counter productive, although that seems to be how Sony works lately. I am looking for another PS3, I will bite on a slim for 349 max, and preferably with a bundle of some sort. If not, I'll gladly buy another fattie for 299.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Well I'm gunna have to go with the phat. I was pretty sure it was going to be 400 anyways, but I can't wait much longer, and honestly the phat ones are probably going to be more solid/better looking.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sentry said:
PS3 phat (80GB/bundles) - $299 [limited time]

PS3 phat (160GB/bundles) - $??? [gone by the time slim releases?]

Not sure about this. The Ars mole seemed to suggest that 160GB might be around for the foreseeable future, and Zellers seemed to corroborate the Ars info.

I think it will be Slim + 160GB fat, with the 80GBs getting scarce...if Ars is correct. In which case I'm not sure how $299 for 160GB and $399 for 120GB Slim stacks up.

Who knows though, there are many many possibilities.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
This $300+ talk is crazy! They can keep it at that price. They need something to combat the $199 360.

Furthermore, I really don't want to have to pay for storage since I can slide in my own laptop HDD. Sony just doesn't get it anymore.

msdstc said:
Well I'm gunna have to go with the phat. I was pretty sure it was going to be 400 anyways, but I can't wait much longer, and honestly the phat ones are probably going to be more solid/better looking.

Probably the same thing here. I've had the money for a PS3 set aside since these rumours began it seems :lol I'm not expecting it to be cheaper than the phat obviously, but I think £350 will be my absolute limit. Even then, you can get 60GB models on ebay for under £300 so I may have to just go for one of those.

Egmont

Neo Member
expy said:
To make the consumer think they're getting something more than just a new box?

I guess it's possible; considering we've seen the box, it'd have to be the sticker-kind of bundle.

Personally I'd much rather see 350$ without any software.. It'd make me feel better. :p

Isn't that more standard procedure with the launch of new SKUs, unbundled? I'm not really sure.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DaCocoBrova said:
This $300+ talk is crazy! They can keep it at that price.

Woah there. A $299 slim would be the best case scenario at this stage. You can't possibly expect a $200 price drop along with a new smaller form factor and more storage :lol Dumping the HDD wouldn't facilitiate that kind of drop either.

expy

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
This $300+ talk is crazy! They can keep it at that price. They need something to combat the $199 360.

Furthermore, I really don't want to have to pay for storage since I can slide in my own laptop HDD. Sony just doesn't get it anymore.

It will be above $300. The phats will be below $300. So buy a phat, nobody is forcing you to buy a slim. Besides the $199 arcades are the "gimped" skus, whereas the phat ps3's are practically no different than the slims apart from size and internal components.

Beowulf28

DaCocoBrova said:

Do you really think the storage has a large impact on the price? Also how many people (casuals) know how to remove a laptop hdd and put it in a PS3?

noah111

Still Alive
Kagari said:
Original 80GB w/ MotorStorm says hi. Pretty sure that came out at 599 and was dropped in price after the 60GB stock dried up and 40GB was introduced.
Exactly, because a new model was introduced.. a slim comes out at said price, and a few months later (possibly even in the same FY?) they drop the price? At what merit, since there they probably will not introduce yet another model that soon after a slim debut.

gofreak said:
Not sure about this. The Ars mole seemed to suggest that 160GB might be around for the foreseeable future, and Zellers seemed to corroborate the Ars info.

I think it will be Slim + 160GB fat, with the 80GBs getting scarce...if Ars is correct. In which case I'm not sure how $299 for 160GB and $399 for 120GB Slim stacks up.

Who knows though, there are many many possibilities.
Exactly, it would be very odd to have only two PS3 models, both being high-end in their storage capacity, and yet price them so far apart even though the HDDs are so near..

It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out, though.

onken

Slim - 299 at launch
160GB - 399
80s will have run out/reduced to clear/recalled to turn into 160GBs

You heard it here first. Well, not first, but you get the idea.

DaCocoBrova

Beowulf28 said:
Do you really think the storage has a large impact on the price? Also how many people (casuals) know how to remove a laptop hdd and put it in a PS3?

Sony must think that as the larger HDD always = higher price. Last I checked anyway.

Also... Wouldn't this be the first slim iteration that costs the same/more than the OG unit?

onken

Ettenra said:
Not something I had thought about. I suppose it's possible, seems like a hassle though.

How hard is it to swap a hard disk? Everything else is identical, as far as I'm aware.

AndyD

aka andydumi
onken said:
How hard is it to swap a hard disk? Everything else is identical, as far as I'm aware.

Its not that easy.

They need to change packaging and re-pack re-inspect. And there are of course different FCC numbers for all the skus and they all have different specs so new serial numbers, new FCC labels....

And shipping fees for those things would be enormous. Its probably cheaper to discount than to recall from shelves.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DaCocoBrova said:
Sony must think that as the larger HDD always = higher price. Last I checked anyway.

They do manipulate value perception via storage size, as with 360 also. They define their tiers often by storage and that lets them easily/cheaply manipulate the value perception.

But the actual cost is a different matter. Cutting out the HDD wouldn't save them much.

DaCocoBrova said:
Also... Wouldn't this be the first slim iteration that costs the same/more than the OG unit?

Can't remember with the PSTwo... it was $149. Was that the same price as the PS2 fat at the time?

Historical comparisons are a bit pointless anyway...these are very different circumstances, a very different cost/financial situation and at a earlier point in the cycle than previous slims.

Dra-Q

Banned
gofreak said:
They do manipulate value perception via storage size, as with 360 also. They define their tiers often by storage and that lets them easily/cheaply manipulate the value perception.

But the actual cost is a different matter. Cutting out the HDD wouldn't save them much.

Can't remember with the PSTwo... it was $149. Was that the same price as the PS2 fat at the time?

Historical comparisons are a bit pointless anyway...these are very different circumstances, a very different cost/financial situation and at a earlier point in the cycle than previous slims.

Yeah, the PS2slim launched at the same price as the phat one. But it also had an internal ethernet adapter, which the original one didn't have.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dra-Q said:
Yeah, the PS2slim launched at the same price as the phat one. But it also had an internal ethernet adapter, which the original one didn't have.

Yeah, I figured they didn't change the price.

More pertinent question might be if a $299 ps3 slim would be the first slim to come in cheaper than the original. Can't remember at all what the case was with PSone :lol

Hypecube

Banned
gofreak said:

More pertinent question might be if a $299 ps3 slim would be the first slim to come in cheaper than the original. Can't remember at all what the case was with PSone :lol

Of they could do something like

PS3 slim (no games) 299.00

Ps3 Fat (two games ) 299.00

They could Bundle the fats at the same price of the slim to help move them

gcubed

gofreak said:

there absolutely has to be a price cut on a mainstream model for Sony to meet their stated goals this year. I wonder how well the bundles are selling and if Sony will try to milk them for as long as possible (if they are selling well) or do they have a set time and date for the price cut

Slightly off topic but - where do you speculators think this puts the 360 price drop predicted by the Ars mole? In the past 2 years I believe MS has dropped on or around Labor Day weekend.

DaCocoBrova

The fat is too fat. So fat that the allure of BC isn't as strong as it should be. I'm getting a slim, but not for no $400. I'll just continue to wait.

Ettie

RadarScope1 said:
Slightly off topic but - where do you speculators think this puts the 360 price drop predicted by the Ars mole? In the past 2 years I believe MS has dropped on or around Labor Day weekend.

Something is going to become a Wii fighter. That is, some sku/bundle will hit the 250 mark, and will later be bundled with Natal.

noah111

Still Alive
DaCocoBrova said:
The fat is too fat. So fat that the allure of BC isn't as strong as it should be. I'm getting a slim, but not for no $400. I'll just continue to wait.
:lol So you wouldn't buy the 'fat' PS3 if it was $299? Bloody hell I didn't know people were so specific about their consoles design and shit, lol.

Slaylock

It seems like they should be able to do some type of Fat Princess promotion:

"Buy a Fat PlayStation 3, get a Fat Princess free!"

idlewild_

Sentry said:
:lol So you wouldn't buy the 'fat' PS3 if it was $299? Bloody hell I didn't know people were so specific about their consoles design and shit, lol.

they wouldn't be able to use the "I'll wait for $299" then, gotta find a new one.

I keed I keed

_RT_

Sentry said:

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter.
People are always looking for "something" different from the PS3.
I remember so many people saying $300 was the magic number. If it was "only" that price they would jump.
Then dell shows up with a $300 system (temporarily), someone posts it on GAF and 5 people reply. Maybe 6.

Now that there is a good sign we will get the $300 system, people say the fat is too fat and they want the slim.

It goes on and on.

expy said:
Here's what I think will happen...

LAUNCH

PS3 slim $399 bundled with 1 or 2 pieces of software (different bundles in different regions)
PS3 Fat $299-$349 bundled with software (different bundles in different regions)

ONCE FAT SUPPLY RUNS LOW

PS3 slim $299-349 not bundled with software or bundled with 1 piece of software (different bundles in different regions)
PS3 Fat $249-299 bundled with 1 or 2 pieces of software (different bundles in different regions)
Makes sense, good post.

onken

AndyD said:
Its not that easy.

They need to change packaging and re-pack re-inspect. And there are of course different FCC numbers for all the skus and they all have different specs so new serial numbers, new FCC labels....

And shipping fees for those things would be enormous. Its probably cheaper to discount than to recall from shelves.

Not from shelves, distributors. Assuming there's enough left to warrant it.

alternade

So if they do bundle it with something, is it safe to say it will be FF13 or GOW3?

demosthenes said:
You know sales tax varies by state right?

New York is almost 9%

Where as Nevada is 0%

Nevada, specifically Las Vegas is 8.10%, same as CA

spwolf

alternade said:
So if they do bundle it with something, is it safe to say it will be FF13 or GOW3?

nope... they will bundle in the Japan for higher price though. In Europe depends on the pricing of slim while in USA, if they bundle something, it wont be brand new game.

alternade

spwolf said:
nope... they will bundle in the Japan for higher price though. In Europe depends on the pricing of slim while in USA, if they bundle something, it wont be brand new game.

So what? $299 phat w/game & $349 slim? This makes the most sense, clear out old ps3s and introduce the slim at a "reasonable" and competitive price.

spwolf

alternade said:
So what? $299 phat w/game & $349 slim? This makes the most sense, clear out old ps3s and introduce the slim at a "reasonable" and competitive price.

i doubt there will be phats by the time slim releases, at most it will be very short supply. I still think that Sony will have $300 PS3 during holidays.

also, keep in mind that Slim is cheaper to produce than Phat. And Sony wants to sell consoles. Those two are important.

alternade

spwolf said:
i doubt there will be phats by the time slim releases, at most it will be very short supply. I still think that Sony will have $300 PS3 during holidays.

also, keep in mind that Slim is cheaper to produce than Phat. And Sony wants to sell consoles. Those two are important.

Its cheap to make which is way they probably would like to pull a nice profit off of it. A $349 slim ps3 with or without a AAA game would sell like hotcakes. I just dont see a $300 ps3 til the Q2/Q3 2010. As a company Sony can't afford to not take every dime at every corner.

alternade said:
Its cheap to make which is way they probably would like to pull a nice profit off of it. A $349 slim ps3 with or without a AAA game would sell like hotcakes. I just dont see a $300 ps3 til the Q2/Q3 2010. As a company Sony can't afford to not take every dime at every corner.
I agree completely. If they haven't been willing to increase their loss on the fat, why is it assumed they'll take a loss (or break even) on a Slim? Are the manufacturing cost reduced that much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom