• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Season Two |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Did we enjoy it? How did every feel about the Tony Awards? Did anyone even watch?

I thought it was pretty much the best finale they could have done given everything that came before. The last minute "Diva" drama was an unnecessary distraction, though, as was the stuff with Julia's ex husband Frank. I'm glad Ivy Lynn won best actress over Karen - the show finally realized that Ivy > Karen! :D

I can't get "Broadway Here I Come" out of my head. I've been humming it ever since I watched the finale. haha The song and dance parts of the show were always fantastic, and I thought the show went out on a bang in that respect.

Despite the myriad of problems the show had, I thought that it was still significantly better than Glee.

The opening to the second half (the group Queen sing-a-long) was terrible.

That was pretty cheesy, though no where near the level of that Bollywood number from season 1.

royalan

I think people are remembering the Bollywood number as worse than it actually was.

The bad thing about it was how out-of-place it was, but it was a well done number.

Under Pressure, in comparison, was out-of-place AND terrible. Probably the worst single moment of the show's run.

Anyway, I agree that the finale was as good as it could have been considering how bad this season was. Such a disappointment.

matt360

Despite the myriad of problems the show had, I thought that it was still significantly better than Glee.

Both shows are basically terrible. I watch them both as guilty pleasures and because I like the music. But overall, I really think that Glee is the better show. Smash is more adult, and I really like the premise, and the show also features better music (in my opinion). However, Smash's characters are all just about the dumbest people on the planet. I can't sympathize with a single character except for maybe Kyle. And I know that the word cliche tends to be overused these days, but every bit of drama on Smash is a cliche. Also Katherine McPhee is probably the worst actress on television. But despite all of that, I still come back week after week.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Both shows are basically terrible. I watch them both as guilty pleasures and because I like the music. But overall, I really think that Glee is the better show. Smash is more adult, and I really like the premise, and the show also features better music (in my opinion). However, Smash's characters are all just about the dumbest people on the planet. I can't sympathize with a single character except for maybe Kyle. And I know that the word cliche tends to be overused these days, but every bit of drama on Smash is a cliche. Also Katherine McPhee is probably the worst actress on television. But despite all of that, I still come back week after week.

Glee is a steaming pile of dogshit. Literally every aspect of that show was rage inducingly horrible - it's easily one of the worst scripted shows on television. Smash wasn't a very good show and was a huge disappointment, especially given the huge amount of hype it had in the beginning and the pedigree behind it, but it was, least to me, a largely inoffensive misfire. Glee is...something much much more horrible and toxic.

matt360

Glee is a steaming pile of dogshit. Literally every aspect of that show was rage inducingly horrible - it's easily one of the worst scripted shows on television. Smash wasn't a very good show and was a huge disappointment, especially given the huge amount of hype it had in the beginning and the pedigree behind it, but it was, least to me, a largely inoffensive misfire. Glee is...something much much more horrible and toxic.

I really don't have anything to say to refute that, because I basically agree with you about Glee being a bad show. I just disagree in that I think Smash is the worse offender. I think Smash actually tries to be a good show, and fails miserably at that. I think there are a lot of people, both in front of and behind the camera on that show, who take it way more seriously than it should be.

On the other hand, I think Glee knows it can be ridiculous at times and it doesn't really try to take itself too seriously. It comes off as the more genuine show, even with its identity struggle in the current season.

Like I said, I really think both shows are bad, and I really disagree that Glee is more horrible and toxic. To me, Glee is so bad that it's good, whereas Smash is just a train wreck of a show that I only watch to see just how bad it gets.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I really don't have anything to say to refute that, because I basically agree with you about Glee being a bad show. I just disagree in that I think Smash is the worse offender. I think Smash actually tries to be a good show, and fails miserably at that. I think there are a lot of people, both in front of and behind the camera on that show, who take it way more seriously than it should be.

On the other hand, I think Glee knows it can be ridiculous at times and it doesn't really try to take itself too seriously. It comes off as the more genuine show, even with its identity struggle in the current season.

Like I said, I really think both shows are bad, and I really disagree that Glee is more horrible and toxic. To me, Glee is so bad that it's good, whereas Smash is just a train wreck of a show that I only watch to see just how bad it gets.

Thing is, Glee didn't start out as a bad show. Those first 13 episodes were actually pretty darn good. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Glee was my favorite show on television for the first half of its first season. After that it all went dramatically downhill; it's like the writers just gave up on trying to make a good show. Season 1.A still had its silly moments, but at its core there was a bleakness and depressing realism there. After that it became a fantastical live action cartoon, not to mention Ryan Murphy's personal soapbox.

At least Smash tried to be good. It may not have succeeded most of the time, but at least they tried. And to me, Smash was by far the more genuine show. Watching it, I could really sense the earnestness of the people involved, both on screen and off. Not so with Glee, which feels disingenuous, not to mention saccharine as hell. Smash also never pretended to be "all inclusive" while actually ignoring all the minority characters and the music wasn't a homogenized blob of Kidz Bop esque shit - the songs on Smash were mostly all original, and most of them were legitimately good/great.

matt360

Thing is, Glee didn't start out as a bad show. Those first 13 episodes were actually pretty darn good. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Glee was my favorite show on television for the first half of its first season. After that it all went dramatically downhill; it's like the writers just gave up on trying to make a good show. Season 1.A still had its silly moments, but at its core there was a bleakness and depressing realism there. After that it became a fantastical live action cartoon, not to mention Ryan Murphy's personal soapbox.

At least Smash tried to be good. It may not have succeeded most of the time, but at least they tried. And to me, Smash was by far the more genuine show. Watching it, I could really sense the earnestness of the people involved, both on screen and off. Not so with Glee, which feels disingenuous, not to mention saccharine as hell. Smash also never pretended to be "all inclusive" while actually ignoring all the minority characters and the music wasn't a homogenized blob of Kidz Bop esque shit - the songs on Smash were mostly all original, and most of them were legitimately good/great.

Just out of curiosity, how would you compare the NYC scenes of Glee's latest season against Smash? I much preferred the NYADA stuff over the McKinley stuff this season, as I think most others did. If Rachel gets her role in Funny girl, I would love to see Glee take a more Broadway-centric turn. I honestly just think they do away completely with the high school stuff and move everything to NY. They've covered just about everything they can in a high school setting anyways.

I just watched the finale of Smash last night and actually thought it was pretty good. Katherine McPhee was terrible, as usual, but everyone else did great and everything was tied up quite nicely. I think in different hands and with a different actress as Karen Cartwright, this show really could've been something special.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Smash Stars to Reunite in Live Production of Bombshell

Stars Katharine McPhee, Debra Messing and Anjelica Huston will join Megan Hilty in the previously announced one-night-only staging of Bombshell.

The performance will include all 22 songs from the Marilyn Monroe biographical musical at the center of the Peacock Net drama.

The performance has been moved up a week to June 8, and tickets go on sale soon; check Actorsfund.org for updates.

I love that this is happening. The original songs from Smash rocked even if nothing else about it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom