• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

dcx4610

After getting the NES Everdrive, I'm hooked. I went ahead and picked up the Super Everdrive over the SD2SNES.

I just like the simplicity of the Everdrive setup and honestly, the games that use special chips aren't that great except for a handful. Those games I'll just buy the real carts.

I still love collecting and buy the real games but the EDs is extremely convenient and nice for testing out games you've never played or games out of your budget.

If you would have come up to the young me and held up a micro-SD card and said it contained every single NES, SNES, Genesis and N64 game from all regions, I would have had a heart attack.

MoxManiac

I totally called this.

Absolutely disgusting.

I dunno, for some reason I prefer the idea of Gamestop selling this stuff as opposed to the typical flea market/craigslist scalpers/predators. Maybe it's just bitterness on how the retro market has exploded with unchecked greed.

Blackthorne is 20 bucks at Play N Trade...is it worth it?

You could just download the amiga version which is way superior than the SNES version on battle.net. It's a free download as well.

I just checked and it's still there along with lost vikings and rock & roll racing, log into battle.nets website (not the launcher) click the "games & codes" tab on top and scroll to the bottom and you'll see the classic games download section.

Rongolian

Banned
Those games I'll just buy the real carts.

Good luck with Mega Man X2, Mega Man X3, and Kirby's Dream Land 3, took me forever to find those at reasonable prices. I feel like their value is found as much in their rarity as that they can't be used on flash carts.

Mercutio

Good luck with Mega Man X2, Mega Man X3, and Kirby's Dream Land 3, took me forever to find those at reasonable prices. I feel like their value is found as much in their rarity as that they can't be used on flash carts.

Or you can just buy the Japanese versions, you know. MMX2 and X3 still go for under $20 on a reasonable day. It's not like you need English to enjoy them.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Or you can just buy the Japanese versions, you know. MMX2 and X3 still go for under $20 on a reasonable day. It's not like you need English to enjoy them.

I passed on $5 Kirby's Dreamland 3s all over the place when I was in Japan.

Timu

It's a good game and that's about the going rate. Go for it. Quick, before the Play N Trade closes down!
I did not know that!!!

You could just download the amiga version which is way superior than the SNES version on battle.net. It's a free download as well.

I just checked and it's still there along with lost vikings and rock & roll racing, log into battle.nets website (not the launcher) click the "games & codes" tab on top and scroll to the bottom and you'll see the classic games download section.
Hmm, interesting.

I should start to trade my amiibos for snes games while the craze is still at its high

i traded a meta knight amiibo for turtles in time, really glad i got that game back , i regretted trading that a while back

Felt like showing a bit of my collection:

Satellaview is 20 years old since yesterday.
And here's my sd2snes:

Sorry for this cart shell, but I didn't like this game anyway. I still have the PCB.

D.Lo

A lot of people are just not letting them go. I can see this happening with more common titles in the future.
Yeah the standard 'classics' will maintain or grow in value even if not rare. Because a lot of people want to have them and keep them.

Same reason they sold well in the first place basically, lots of people want great games.

Mercutio

Yeah the standard 'classics' will maintain or grow in value even if not rare. Because a lot of people want to have them and keep them.

Same reason they sold well in the first place basically, lots of people want great games.

I had a sizable NES collection in college, but sold it foolishly. I kept some of the games, since they were worth nothing. I couldn't give Mario 3 away at the time. Now it's actually worth something, which is kind of hilarious. I'm curious to see what other things will keep hopping up in value.

v1perz53

Man the prospect of getting into the SNES scene from scratch at this point is intimidating. I had a Genesis growing up (no way my family could afford multiple systems), so I don't own a SNES or any games, but my cousin had one and I have so many memories playing DKC or Super Mario World that I would like to own a console and some games of my own. But man, all the games I have fond memories of are ridiculously expensive. Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, FF III (VI), Super Castlevania IV, Turtles in Time, hell even Mario World which came with the system costs more on eBay than 60% of my N64 collection.

I generally treat my retro collections as a way of honoring my past, in that I like to only collect games I personally played as a kid, or to complete series that I really liked. SNES, on the other hand, I mostly missed, so I would like to both own the games I remember and play great games I missed out on, but my god would that be expensive. I suppose I could play some games on Wii U VC, but I always loved the SNES controller, and I really want to experience these games with the original controller on my CRT TV like they were meant to.

Man collecting GB/GBC games spoiled me, paying $10 for one of those games was a lot!

Man the prospect of getting into the SNES scene from scratch at this point is intimidating. I had a Genesis growing up (no way my family could afford multiple systems), so I don't own a SNES or any games, but my cousin had one and I have so many memories playing DKC or Super Mario World that I would like to own a console and some games of my own. But man, all the games I have fond memories of are ridiculously expensive. Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, FF III (VI), Super Castlevania IV, Turtles in Time, hell even Mario World which came with the system costs more on eBay than 60% of my N64 collection.

I generally treat my retro collections as a way of honoring my past, in that I like to only collect games I personally played as a kid, or to complete series that I really liked. SNES, on the other hand, I mostly missed, so I would like to both own the games I remember and play great games I missed out on, but my god would that be expensive. I suppose I could play some games on Wii U VC, but I always loved the SNES controller, and I really want to experience these games with the original controller on my CRT TV like they were meant to.

Man collecting GB/GBC games spoiled me, paying $10 for one of those games was a lot!

Buying Wii virtual console SNES games is a much easier way to have CRT accurate and actual controller experience w/ adapter, or close enough with classic controller. Even on Wii U you could use something like this for a more authentic experience.

Alternatively buy JPN games -- it's been said a lot but they're way way cheaper. It's a bit difficult for RPGs but a lot of the more popular ones got retranslations of the original JPN versions, so you could legally buy Chrono Trigger for <$10, rip & apply the translation, and play it on actual hardware via the Everdrive.

dcx4610

SNES + Super Everdrive or a SD2SNES and you are set. Buy the games you can afford or games not supported with the flash cart.

Another option would be to just load up on games on the Wii Virtual Console and buy this beauty for around $70

51fig-k5M4L._SL1024_.jpg

Teknoman

For most non-cheap games if you cant find a good deal:
Super Famicom version -> bust those tabs inside SNES cart slot -> done.

For most JRPGs with a fan translation or retranslation:
Same process, get cart translated from repro maker -> done.

Also keep an eye on Ebay or Amazon to catch good deals here and there. I've gotten a complete Illusion of Gaia for like 20 bucks on Amazon, not sure how no one else spotted it.

EDIT: Also Super Metroid is complete in english with SFC version if you cant get a good SNES cart.

MoxManiac

Why are people saying Megaman X2 and X3 are unplayable on flash carts? Doesn't at least one of them support the Cx4 chip they use? I think SD2SNES or whatever does?

I'm half-way in that boat. I have about 20 SNES games, most of which I've owned since they were new in the 90s and a few I bought about 5 years ago before prices went nuts. I would love to buy more but it seems so daunting. I love collecting for NES (even CIB stuff) but SNES is too far gone for that, for me to go really deep.

The question is whether you just want to play the games or are truly into collecting and fully experience them. If it's just playing then Wii or emulators are cheap. If you're looking to have the tangible real experience keep a vigilant eye on eBay, your area Craigslist and, crucially, forums like this one, NintendoAge, Racketboy and others. Real collectors and gamers aren't out to gouge one another. Save up some cash and make an offer on multiple items for discounts. That will help you get started. Buy beat-up copies of games for less to decide if you really like them and, if so, upgrade later. The good news for you is, if you're starting from scratch you have lots of games that are both good and relatively cheap to choose from. You don't have to go for the big prizes right away.

SummitAve

Banned
Threw in some new contact pads in an old snes controller. Dpad is pretty firm now and takes effort, but still has a distinctive click. Does it just need a little working in or did I get some bad replacement parts?

Mercutio

Threw in some new contact pads in an old snes controller. Dpad is pretty firm now and takes effort, but still has a distinctive click. Does it just need a little working in or did I get some bad replacement parts?

Most of the replacement parts online aren't OEM Nintendo, they're knockoffs and feel wonky.

Why are people saying Megaman X2 and X3 are unplayable on flash carts? Doesn't at least one of them support the Cx4 chip they use? I think SD2SNES or whatever does?

The SD2SNES is said to be capable of that sort of emulation. I think it works now, but there are still graphical glitches. Again, I suggest people buy the Japanese Super Famicom versions which are cheap and plentiful.

Cheerilee

That's where the conversation started.

- I suggested that someone buy an Everdrive.
- Someone asked about the difference between Everdrive and SD2SNES.
- Everdrive is cheaper, but it can't play Megaman X2 and X3.
- That's okay, I'll just compensate with physical carts.
- Good luck with that, because the prices on X2 and X3 have shot up, partly because those games can't be played on flashcarts (except SD2SNES). Their prices make SD2SNES look like a bargain.

MoxManiac

Most of the replacement parts online aren't OEM Nintendo, they're knockoffs and feel wonky.

The SD2SNES is said to be capable of that sort of emulation. I think it works now, but there are still graphical glitches. Again, I suggest people buy the Japanese Super Famicom versions which are cheap and plentiful.

I'm confused. So SD2SNES uses emulation to support Cx4?

That kinda would make sense, I can't imagine MMX2/3 carts being harvested for chips...

Picked up Super Metroid, Mega Man X, and Knights of the Round for a cool $100 off Craigslist today (and Star Fox 64 for $10!). They're not worth significantly more or anything, but it feels good to pay so far below average instead of people constantly trying to get more than they're worth.

v1perz53

Decided to take the plunge after what some people in this thread advised, found a SNES on eBay with DKC, Super Mario World and a few other throwaway games for $50 (plus an official controller in decent shape and the console wasn't yellow). Would've considered the Wii route, but I had bought most of the VC games already and later transferred my Wii data to Wii U, so I would rather not pay again for the games to not even have a physical copy. Plus I just love the feel of the true SNES controller.

Wanted to pick up an everdrive (idea of buying Super Famicom games and playing fan patched japanese roms sounds awesome), but would really prefer one in an NA shell (to match the rest of my collection) and they are currently sold out wherever I can find them. Though I guess getting one in a Super Famicom shell would make it match the patched SFC games I would be playing on it.

I may have asked this before but since I'm actually now getting around to it, can someone give me an estimate for a SFC with ac adapter and 1/2 controllers? Ebay prices seem to be all over the place and many consoles come without the ac adapter (wtf?).

many consoles come without the ac adapter (wtf?).
IIRC due to tax rates for certain electronics in Japan, the Super Famicom was sold without an AC Adapter. You always had to buy it separately, similarly to the New 3DS today.

You could use the Famicom AC adapter if I recall, so they probably didn't see it as a big deal.

Dishwalla

Banned
If you are trying to buy a SFC off eBay, I'd suggest trying to find one from a US seller, as the shipping rates from consoles in Japan can and do outprice the cost of the console itself. Shipping them from Japan to the US is not cheap.

Cheerilee

I may have asked this before but since I'm actually now getting around to it, can someone give me an estimate for a SFC with ac adapter and 1/2 controllers? Ebay prices seem to be all over the place and many consoles come without the ac adapter (wtf?).

IIRC, American electricity is stronger than Japanese electricity (about 110 to 120 volts in America, vs 100 to 110 in Japan), so a Japanese power pack works, but it stands an increased chance of overheating if used in America.

Apparently the Genesis Model-1 power pack puts out the exact same power that the Super Famicom needs, but it was built for America, so that's the one you want. For the hardcore Nintendo fan, Sega is an ally, not an enemy.

IIRC due to tax rates for certain electronics in Japan, the Super Famicom was sold without an AC Adapter. You always had to buy it separately, similarly to the New 3DS today.

You could use the Famicom AC adapter if I recall, so they probably didn't see it as a big deal.
huh. Alright, that at least makes sense. thank you.
If you are trying to buy a SFC off eBay, I'd suggest trying to find one from a US seller, as the shipping rates from consoles in Japan can and do outprice the cost of the console itself. Shipping them from Japan to the US is not cheap.
I've noticed this. so many units going for 25$... with 35$ shipping or something silly.
IIRC, American electricity is stronger than Japanese electricity (about 110 to 120 volts in America, vs 100 to 110 in Japan), so a Japanese power pack works, but it stands an increased chance of overheating if used in America.

Apparently the Genesis Model-1 power pack puts out the exact same power that the Super Famicom needs, but it was built for America, so that's the one you want. For the hardcore Nintendo fan, Sega is an ally, not an enemy.
This is really useful, thank you. I'll defer to you guys when I get mine and am looking for a ac adapter.

Would you folks say ~25$ for the console by itself and 15$/controller is a fair deal? Figure it'll be 20$ for the video cable and another 15 or so for the ac adapter so that'll be like 85$ in total. bit steep but I guess that's the price I pay for games.

HaL64

Felt like showing a bit of my collection:

Satellaview is 20 years old since yesterday.
And here's my sd2snes:

Sorry for this cart shell, but I didn't like this game anyway. I still have the PCB.

Can you do anything with the Satellaview? Or is it pretty much useless?

Top Bottom