• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

fester

Banned
Does anyone have experience with repo carts found on eBay? I'm specifically looking at Final Fantasy V "English" carts. I'm left to assume these are flashed somehow with the RPGe translation, but not certain about that. I have the GBA and PSX versions of the game, but lately I've had an itch to play it on the original system and I'm trying to figure out if that's really feasible.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Does anyone have experience with repo carts found on eBay? I'm specifically looking at Final Fantasy V "English" carts. I'm left to assume these are flashed somehow with the RPGe translation, but not certain about that. I have the GBA and PSX versions of the game, but lately I've had an itch to play it on the original system and I'm trying to figure out if that's really feasible.

Repro carts on eBay are generally way more expensive than just getting them from a repro seller.

http://www.ocdreproductions.com/Final_Fantasy_5/p1560736_7394194.aspx

Cheerilee

Oh wow, thanks, had no idea about that website. Thanks!

You might also want to consider getting a Super Everdrive. It's a flashcart, so you can play translated ROMs on real hardware. It's not quite as "permanent" as a reproduction and it doesn't look quite as nice, but it's more "flexible" and it doesn't sacrifice old SNES carts.

If you just have an itch to play FFV on real hardware, I'd suggest that an Everdrive is more what you're looking for.

You might also want to consider getting a Super Everdrive. It's a flashcart, so you can play translated ROMs on real hardware. It's not quite as "permanent" as a reproduction and it doesn't look quite as nice, but it's more "flexible" and it doesn't sacrifice old SNES carts.

If you just have an itch to play FFV on real hardware, I'd suggest that an Everdrive is more what you're looking for.

I almost picked up a SD2NES or whatever the name might be (on mobile, my apologies). Any reason to grab the Everdrive instead? It seemed inferior in just about every aspect but price, but I'm definitely looking for advice and information as far as these types of carts go.

IrishNinja

personally, im gonna grab the everdrive board when i can - it's like half the price, and the games it doesnt support, i already have - even if FX support comes later, i don't care about Star Fox 2 that much. speed's fine with me too; at least on the Mega Everdrive end, the high model has save states and other big features...for me, there's not enough on the SD2SNES end to warrant the price, personally

Timu

KuGsj.gif
WTF at dem prices???

fester

Banned

Thanks, that's a good option, too. At $90 (with shell), though, it's twice as much as just getting the FFV cart. If there were a bunch of other translated games I was looking to play, this would be the route to take.

Cheerilee

I almost picked up a SD2NES or whatever the name might be (on mobile, my apologies). Any reason to grab the Everdrive instead? It seemed inferior in just about every aspect but price, but I'm definitely looking for advice and information as far as these types of carts go.

I'm not 100% certain, as both carts are still merely on my "want" list, but AFAIK the biggest difference is that SD2SNES can load up with more of the specialty chips, and edge itself closer to full compatibility.

Here's a list of SNES enhancement chips, so you can figure out which chips are "must haves".

I figure, if you just want to play some common games on real hardware, the Everdrive is probably sufficient, but it can't play (for example) Megaman X2 and X3, so if that's a dealbreaker then SD2SNES is probably a better idea.

As of right now the SD2SNES only supports the following:
  • BS-X memory map / Satellaview base unit registers (clock)
  • DSP1 / 1b
  • DSP2
  • DSP3
  • DSP4
  • ST-010
  • Cx4
  • MSU1
  • S-RTC
  • OBC1

Everdrive can support DSP modules if you pay to order it with it or install one yourself.

As far as what's left on the SD2SNES:

• Daikaijuu Monogatari uses the ST-RTC and it looks like there's a translation of that available
  • Star Ocean will work if you expand it using that old method so that it doesn't require that compression chip anymore since the SD2SNES supports larger ROMs; this has a fan translation
  • There's some kinda cool homebrew that uses the MSU1

It's unlikely we'll get any other chips supported, it takes a lot of effort and there's been little progress so far. So yeah it's pretty thin for the extra $110 premium.

I don't see much point in wanting Mega Man X2/3 support since you'd have to buy the game, rip it, and copy to the flash cart anyway unless you're plan is just piracy.

As of right now the SD2SNES only supports the following:

Everdrive can support DSP modules if you pay to order it with it or install one yourself.

As far as what's left on the SD2SNES:

• Daikaijuu Monogatari uses the ST-RTC and it looks like there's a translation of that available
  • Star Ocean will work if you expand it using that old method so that it doesn't require that compression chip anymore since the SD2SNES supports larger ROMs; this has a fan translation
  • There's some kinda cool homebrew that uses the MSU1

It's unlikely we'll get any other chips supported, it takes a lot of effort and there's been little progress so far. So yeah it's pretty thin for the extra $110 premium.

I don't see much point in wanting Mega Man X2/3 support since you'd have to buy the game, rip it, and copy to the flash cart anyway unless you're plan is just piracy.

He ever get the cheat support working on it (SD2SNES)?

Also how are the powerpack things compared to everdrives?

Teknoman

Oh wow, thanks, had no idea about that website. Thanks!

If you're going repro cart, imo its best to just find a cheap complete SFC FFV, then ask him to just do a translation of the game. That way you have original cart, original art, english translation, and abit lower than ordering an actual repro.

Thanks for the quick info guys. I'm mainly looking at these carts as a substitute for all of my actual cartridges; I leave my library at my cottage and I'm consistently paranoid about them being exposed to the rapid temperature and humidity changes in Michigan.

Sounds like the everdrive will suffice. I have all the actual cartridges if I have a game that it can't run due to lack of support, but this'll be more convenient and save me a headache.

Ban Puncher

Kiki Kaikai: Nazo no Kuro Manto (Pocky & Rocky) and Final Fight Tough are now part of my collection. Had to put an order in for more box protectors for all these new arrivals.

Recall

I've just stumbled upon 9 loose PAL SNES carts packed away along with an official SNES joypad, I don't even own a SNES.

I'm guessing loose PAL games aren't in much demand to worth putting them up on eBay or wherever? The games are just the generic bunch I think everyone has too; Mortal Kombat, Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars, F-Zero, Super Star Wars, Alien 3, Starwing, The Lionking & Donkey Kong Country.

Teknoman

I've just stumbled upon 9 loose PAL SNES carts packed away along with an official SNES joypad, I don't even own a SNES.

I'm guessing loose PAL games aren't in much demand to worth putting them up on eBay or wherever? The games are just the generic bunch I think everyone has too; Mortal Kombat, Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars, F-Zero, Super Star Wars, Alien 3, Starwing, The Lionking & Donkey Kong Country.

I'd give it a shot if they are in great shape. Especially World, All Stars, DKC, and Starwing.

Rich!

Buy them, definitely. They are worth a good amount.

Get a 60hz modded PAL SNES and enjoy them in full speed with no borders too.

For now, it looks like GS is going to have one SKU for every classic game that they buy/sell -- same prices/TIV for a game regardless of whether it's CIB or cart only.

For the pilot program, Haes says that stores will have a single SKU in their point-of-sale systems for each game. That means GameStop will offer one flat price, whether you’ve got a loose game cartridge or one with its original box and manual.

Beyond the pilot, what happens next will be determined by what ends up walking through the doors.

“As the product starts to come back into our distribution center, we’ll make a determination around any changes we might need to make,” he says. “If it’s 98 percent just cartridge, or just disc, we may not need to [change anything].” In that case, regardless of the completeness of the game, GameStop’s web listing might just note that the game will not include original box and instructions, and it’s possible that “on occasion, somebody will get a happy surprise when they open up the box” and find a complete game for the price of a loose one.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
If you're going repro cart, imo its best to just find a cheap complete SFC FFV, then ask him to just do a translation of the game. That way you have original cart, original art, english translation, and abit lower than ordering an actual repro.
How much does he charge for just translating an SFC cart?

psylah

The consumer base that has held onto NES / SNES / Genesis etc. carts until 2015 is going to be smart enough to know not to take their rare games to GameStop to get $3 in store credit. They'll dump the hundreds and hundreds of the yearly sports games and mass produced shovelware that they've amassed over 20+ years.

I hope GS is ready for a flood of copies of SNES Wheel of Fortune. Seriously, I see that game constantly.

The consumer base that has held onto NES / SNES / Genesis etc. carts until 2015 is going to be smart enough to know not to take their rare games to GameStop to get $3 in store credit. They'll dump the hundreds and hundreds of the yearly sports games and mass produced shovelware that they've amassed over 20+ years.

I hope GS is ready for a flood of copies of SNES Wheel of Fortune. Seriously, I see that game constantly.

Yup. I doubt this will matter for cartridge based games. for disc based systems though it blows.

ZealousD

At least it sounds like they aren't throwing away the boxes/manuals. That would be a criminal offense in my book.

Yup. I doubt this will matter for cartridge based games. for disc based systems though it blows.

This already happens with disc-based games at GameStop today. They print out generic cover art and use generic cases.

At least it sounds like they aren't throwing away the boxes/manuals. That would be a criminal offense in my book.

This already happens with disc-based games at GameStop today. They print out generic cover art and use generic cases.

yeah, but those ones have shelf space so I can pick the one with original case. on an online store that doesn't work.

Dishwalla

Banned
I think there absolutely should be a cart only option and a box and manual option, the lottery thing doesn't make sense, and for certain games would actually drive me away from buying it from GameStop. Sure, if by chance I decided to buy Wheel of Fortune SNES and it turns out I get the box and manual that'd be pretty cool, but if I'm in the market for Chrono Trigger or something I'd rather scout eBay for a CIB deal rather than try my luck on GS's site.

But again, I pray that people will be smart enough not to trade old game boxes into GS, please realize people that you'd more than likely get more money for them listing them on eBay. As much as that itself sucks to say.

honestly ........

if their trade in prices are "close" to what you can get online(factor in fees x shipping costs) i would think of dumping my stuff, i got a lot of shit

from nes - snes- gba- gb- n64- etc to a shit load of consoles.

wouldn't trade in boxes x manuals though, thats just silly

honestly ........

if their trade in prices are "close" to what you can get online(factor in fees x shipping costs) i would think of dumping my stuff, i got a lot of shit

from nes - snes- gba- gb- n64- etc to a shit load of consoles.

wouldn't trade in boxes x manuals though, thats just silly

not a chance. Not even dedicated retro game stores can give nearly that much. Gamestop who is all about maximizing profits and not giving a shit about the consumer would never.

Cheerilee

- Buy some random SNES sports game for $0.25.
- Crudely rip the label off.
- Write "Ogre Battle" on the remains of the label with a sharpie.
- Trade in to Gamestop and get hosed as they offer you $5 for it.
- Profit.

The best con is when the mark thinks he's the one conning you.

Actually, no. I wouldn't even want to do that to an SNES sports game.

ZealousD

not a chance. Not even dedicated retro game stores can give nearly that much. Gamestop who is all about maximizing profits and not giving a shit about the consumer would never.

There's an independent retro gaming store here in town that I frequent, and he gives half what he sells the games for. I think that's pretty generous.

GameStop's track record is more like a quarter to a third, at best.

My local guy generally gives me $5 - $10 less than what he sells it for. He's great =]

great is an understatement. I'm honestly surprised he's managed to stay in business. Is that a special price since you're a regular or something? does he have a side business?

IrishNinja

nah, it's his friend/special price. his boy's a good dude & really into the scene as well, i'm happy to see him do well even if he won't sell me Metal Slug 1 for a tenner

All that talk of flashcarts up there...I'ma proud owner of an N8 everdrive and soon ... an SD2SNES. My biggest complaint with the everdrive is having to drag my arse off the sofa to reset every time I wish to change games. Is there away I can do this using the controller?

Otherwise I need to find a big stick.

All that talk of flashcarts up there...I'ma proud owner of an N8 everdrive and soon ... an SD2SNES. My biggest complaint with the everdrive is having to drag my arse off the sofa to reset every time I wish to change games. Is there away I can do this using the controller?

Otherwise I need to find a big stick.

lEV2v5t.jpg

Top Bottom