• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

-KRS-

Because they look nice enough to add to a collection.

At least I think that's all there is to it. I personally wouldn't spring for them, as they aren't actual releases and still wouldn't really 'count' to me. The idea that I could play some things like Mother 3 though without having to use a flash cart is tempting though; my collector's pet peeves get bothered more by a flash cart than a legitimate looking imitation.

If I were to buy Mother 3, I'd actually rather buy the official Japanese release and then play a translated version using a flashcart. That way I own the original cartridge and can still play it in English. I've done that with some Famicom games I have like Konami Wai Wai World, which is perhaps not THAT hard to play in Japanese but it does help to understand what it's telling you. Maybe a better example would be Downtown Special Kunio-kun no Jidaigeki. I don't know why but repros do nothing for me either. I guess it's because they're not official.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Thumbtacks :)

Star Fox is only supposed to have this one pin on the botton, right?
L25jMjV.jpg

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I honestly don't understand why anyone bothers buying repro carts when you can get a single flash cart for $50 and play any translated ROM on it.

Either way, it's still "technically" "piracy", so why take up space for bootleg carts?

I would refer to my earlier "people are crazy and have too much money" rationalization of it... but...

I guess I just did. But people don't like it.

Edit: just so this message doesn't sound like i'm a complete asshole, I do get wanting to have the game for display on your collection, I really do. Nowadays, I rarely play the games I buy. The ones I do is mostly because I like them and I want to have them and keep them on my possession as a collection. Hell, I bought Ocarina of Time 3DS on launch because I really love the Original Game and I don't even have a 3DS yet!

It's just that a reprogrammed cart is not the real deal. It's something somebody made in their garage. It has no actual history other than "this is a piece of software that some fans had to work a couple months of their life so somebody could get ahold of it and then resell it for profit". If you don't have the original game, buying a repro is even worse: You're literally paying for two kinds of piracy: You're stealing the original code for the game plus you're paying a large amount of money to somebody that had nothing to do with the translation of that code. Technically, every pirate game is a repro. It's somebody elses code, acquired without any royalties or amount sold percentage being paid, copied and sold to you for profit.

For me, personally, a better scenario would be to buy the original, untranslated, imported Japanese game you so desire and keep that in your collection, proudly displayed (and maybe even sealed), and then use a FlashCart to play the translated version of it - whichever version you prefer.

That way you have a real cartridge made by Nintendo, something "exotic" from another region and was not released in the region you live, a real palpable object from the 90's that was in circulation, and you also get the experience the game through a device created for that reason alone. (well, and piracy). You would also be technically "in the clear" from a morally dubious point: You're just playing a "backup" copy of a real game you own. It just happens to be translated instead.

Not counting that having flashcarts is also a nice collection material - I have an original GBXchanger 64mbit cart for GBC that's quite rare nowadays.

IrishNinja

I honestly don't understand why anyone bothers buying repro carts when you can get a single flash cart for $50 and play any translated ROM on it.

Either way, it's still "technically" "piracy", so why take up space for bootleg carts?

it's not like i/other don't get what you (or specifically drizzle) are saying here, but it's so subjective a question that i find it weird someone's asking it. it's like me saying "YA'LL PAYING CIB FOR GAMES WITH MANUALS WHERE NO DEVS MAKE MONEY ARE CHUMPS" - why should i assume you guys have the same priorities?

everyone here knows if they buy say Metroid: Ice Metal or Earthbound Zero with the english patch on an NES cart, it's not legit. some of us just think it's cool & worthy of having on one's shelf, like it's own piece of art - and it's neat being able to play shit on your actual NES or soon Retron 5. Moralizing things about many properties/companies long dead doesn't even come to play for me.

but then i just bought an asian bootleg of MUSHA for $15 because i loved that game as a kid, and $300+ sometimes is ridiculous. would i replace it with a legit one if i got a deal on it one day? sure, but it's still just a vanity. there's tons of people who see this thread and ask why the lot of us just don't emulate, for example. to each their own.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
but then i just bought an asian bootleg of MUSHA for $15 because i loved that game as a kid, and $300+ sometimes is ridiculous. would i replace it with a legit one if i got a deal on it one day? sure, but it's still just a vanity. there's tons of people who see this thread and ask why the lot of us just don't emulate, for example. to each their own.

Then why not just buy a flashcart and play Musha? Since that's pretty much what you're doing.

That's the part I don't get.

Edit: Then again, I guess I don't understand why would anybody buy a cart-only copy of a game, when without the box and manuals, it's a incomplete copy of the game (unless you're buying them separatedly because they're either hard to find complete or.. some other reason). Which you could (illegally) play on a flashcart anyway. :D

I make a parallel with repros and pirate DVD burned copies of Wii Games. I wouldn't buy a custom-printed cover on a obviously burned DVD of a copy of a Wii game i'd want to play. I'd either look for a real, complete copy or... you know... pirate it without paying somebody else to do it for me (which I believe to be bad, but not as bad as paying money for piracy).

It's mostly about that: Paying for pirated software.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: Then again, I guess I don't understand why would anybody buy a cart-only copy of a game, when without the box and manuals, it's a incomplete copy of the game (unless you're buying them separatedly because they're either hard to find complete or.. some other reason). Which you could (illegally) play on a flashcart anyway. :D
Eh, when I was a kid, my boxes and instructions always got destroyed. I never felt weird about having just the cartridges. If the packaging was worth saving (i.e., Genesis/Neo Geo type boxes, DS/3DS boxes, cases for disc media for protection) I absolutely try to buy the game with it (I insist on it for disc media). But honestly, I'd rather have two or three times as many games as carts only than complete games. :)

For me the desire to have "repros" (I just want the chips replaced in SFC copies of the games) is all about feel. There's a special feel to cartridge gaming. Having the cartridges lined up, going through them to pick a game, swapping them out when changing a game... this stuff isn't replicated by the flash cart at all. I'd thought about buying a flash cart since it's sure as hell cheaper than buying carts for $20-30 in a language I can't understand and then paying someone more money to make them playable for me. But it's just not the same at all.

IrishNinja

yeah, i don't care about "complete" for instructions im not gonna read anyway. if its nearly the same price, sure, but im not gonna pay more for it. again: different strokes.

i also don't think things being illegal = immoral, specifically where no harm's done, but i don't mean to hijack this with piracy talk. suffice to say: my bootleg MUSHA isn't at all the same thing in my mind as say a Mother 3 repro with the fan translation on it. i get where it might be to some, but i want a game nintendo doesn't want to sell me, and will pay a few dollars for someone to tack the great translation on there for me, so i can play it as i like & keep it on my shelf, simple as that.

again, if you're just gonna ask "why not use a flashcart?" (which i intend to when i see a good one at a fair price, mostly for more fan game/ROM hacks), you're kind've hitting a wall because most folks are going to see people like us buying carts at all & ask the same question. there are very many gamers content to emulate everything (possibly buy a few collection discs, if that), so i just don't get questioning someone else's idiosyncrasies in a niche endeavor like this.

I just picked up Yoshi's Island today, never got the chance to play it as a kid so I'll be playing it for the first time this weekend :_)

I started it last weekend for the first time ever, little more than halfway through now. It's pretty good. Nowhere near the level of awesome that Mario World is, but as it's own thing, it's pretty cool.

krae_man

recently ordered cybernator. how has this game never caught my eye before now?

Oh man I love that game. Can't beat it anymore, but Damn is it ever fun. I used to know where every power up was. The laser weapon maxed out was Boss.

recently ordered cybernator. how has this game never caught my eye before now?

It's awesome, or at least it was when I was a kid. I just got it a few weeks ago. Haven't played it yet, though. Recall it being pretty hard. Though a lot of things I used to think were pretty hard seem decently easy now that I'm not a little kid.

jdl

Banned
It's awesome, or at least it was when I was a kid. I just got it a few weeks ago. Haven't played it yet, though. Recall it being pretty hard. Though a lot of things I used to think were pretty hard seem decently easy now that I'm not a little kid.

I find it's the opposite. Haha. I must be getting old.

Teknoman

one day :( stay strong

the worse feeling i would get is if i see it but another person has it in their hands, like at a thrift store, yard sale, flea market etc.

that would be worse then not having it haha

lol that would be a true "knees down on the floor, fist in the air, noooooooo" moment.

Fox Mulder

I just picked up Yoshi's Island today, never got the chance to play it as a kid so I'll be playing it for the first time this weekend :_)

i just got it recently too and played a few hours. I know it's super acclaimed, but I still prefer SMW. It's a fantastic game regardless though.

Just picked up Actraiser on SFC, in box in decent condition. Also got SF2 Turbo SFC along with it, no box for a decent price at my store. Finally own a copy of Actraiser after borrowing it from friends, renting it, and owning it on VC *lol*

Why has my Chrome browser changed the way ebay looks. Just started today. I can't quickly switch between active, sold, and completed listings. Looks right in Internet Explorer, but who wants to use that?

EDIT: NM, cleared my cookies, fixed it. Stupid ebay.

This thread is dangerous, I collect expensive toys and buy a lot of modern games as it is. But man do I love the SNES. Some of you guys have amazing collections.

I'll post a pic of my stuff soon, I feel fortunate to have been 11-16 when the SNES was around so I do have a lot of gems I came across at the time of their release (Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, FFIII, etc). The downside is, having been just a kid I don't have any boxes. I do for whatever reason have all the boxes for my N64 games.

IrishNinja

caught sunset riders for just under $40, not too bad? captain commando looks to be about that price.

waiting on repro prices to drop, thought i'd look up the others in the terranigma series...illusion of gaia seems to go for a low price, not as much luck with soul blazer, that might take some patience.

oddly, ive noticed demon's crest going on the cheaper side ($30-40, especially the SFC version), far kinder than i'd been led to believe.

waiting on repro prices to drop, thought i'd look up the others in the terranigma series...illusion of gaia seems to go for a low price, not as much luck with soul blazer, that might take some patience.

Yeah, sucks that Soul Blazer is so expensive. According to wikipedia, it only sold 70,000 copies in the US versus 300,000 for Gaia, so I guess it makes sense. I was lucky enough to find them at my local place back in November, got Gaia for $5 and Blazer for $15. Was shocked to see it going for $40+ on ebay a couple weeks ago.

Yeah, sucks that Soul Blazer is so expensive. According to wikipedia, it only sold 70,000 copies in the US versus 300,000 for Gaia, so I guess it makes sense. I was lucky enough to find them at my local place back in November, got Gaia for $5 and Blazer for $15. Was shocked to see it going for $40+ on ebay a couple weeks ago.

Very annoying as it's 1 of the 2 last games I've been looking for. I check constantly and have not been able to find one at a decent price.

Linkhero1

What's a good price for Soul Blazer? I might acquire a copy for $50 over the weekend. Is it worth it?

Edit: NVM. seems cheaper on eBay.

-KRS-

Not SNES related but anyway; everyone always talks about how durable NES cartridges are. Well, somehow the Swedish postal service managed to fuck this one up:

I've never had anything like this happen before. And it's not like the seller didn't pack it well. It was in a jiffy bag with another cartridge. So it's not really his fault. The other cartridge was just fine. I guess it might have been okay if he had wrapped the cartridges in bubble wrap as well, but it must have been the sharp corner of something really heavy that was dropped on top of my package so I doubt that would've done much to help it anyway. Oddly enough I couldn't see any markings or anything on the jiffy bag itself.

I haven't tested it yet, but it probably works fine. And I didn't pay a lot for it. But it just sucks because now it'll be a blight in my collection instead of something nice. And I probably can't sell it either because who the fuck would want to buy this? Just a bummer all around. =/

I'll email the seller about it, but I'm not sure I care enough to send it back. Most probably I'd have to pay for shipping, and then I would have paid more in shipping then I paid for the cartridge itself.

-KRS-

I edited my post. If I have to pay the shipping cost I'll have paid more in shipping than I paid for the cartridge.

edit: emailed the seller now. guess we'll see what he says. I'm leaning towards shipping it back even if I have to pay the shipping costs because I just don't want a damaged game in my collection.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
So a couple weeks ago I went and bought some games from a guy on Kijiji, and I'm mulling over picking up some others from him this weekend (Captain Commando, Buster Busts Loose, & Metal Warriors - though I'm hesitating on the latter because it's pretty spendy). Anyway, he has a copy of EVO for sale too. He wants $120. I have a copy already, but if someone here wants it PM me some time today and I'll pick it up for you.

ys45

I am currently setting my "retro gaming room in my basement" and my old SNES console is starting to feel tired, so i guess it's time to change it .

I was thinking about getting a SNES mini model, is there anything i should know about this model ? Any advice ?

I am going to use it on a 32" LCD TV (work ok with my SFC console so far)

Im surprised at the price for this console on eBay (compared to the top loader NES console it's pretty cheap)

I am currently setting my "retro gaming room in my basement" and my old SNES console is starting to feel tired, so i guess it's time to change it .

I was thinking about getting a SNES mini model, is there anything i should know about this model ? Any advice ?

Im surprised at the price for this console on eBay (compared to the top loader NES console it's pretty cheap)

The SNES Mini doesn't output RGB or S-video, so for best video quality you'll need to mod it or just get another original model SNES instead.
Especially since you're gaming on an LCD, your video options should be a real concern.

Parallacs

So a couple weeks ago I went and bought some games from a guy on Kijiji, and I'm mulling over picking up some others from him this weekend (Captain Commando, Buster Busts Loose, & Metal Warriors - though I'm hesitating on the latter because it's pretty spendy). Anyway, he has a copy of EVO for sale too. He wants $120. I have a copy already, but if someone here wants it PM me some time today and I'll pick it up for you.

In honor of Lucas Arts closing yesterday, you owe it to yourself to pick up Metal Warriors. It really is a beautiful game.

Linkhero1

If you do decide to go down this route and buy a midi model, watch out for counterfeits.

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=counterfeit_snes

I personally would just go for the original model.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
In honor of Lucas Arts closing yesterday, you owe it to yourself to pick up Metal Warriors. It really is a beautiful game.
I'm thinking I'll do it. I figure if I don't like it I can probably sell it to fund something else expensive on my want list.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I'll gladly take it off your hands if you end up not liking it :)
Well, then there's no risk! ;) I sent him an email hopefully he gets back to me soon.

Oh, maybe you all can help me with another thing I'm looking for advice on. Next month I'm going to go visit a friend and we want to play some SNES games. He only has an HDTV and he only has HDMI & Component ports. I'm not really able to swing a FrameMeister now (and certainly not for one weekend). What's going to be my best way to play on that TV and make my games not look like crap? An RGB -> HDMI converter? Is there a cheaper alternative to the FrameMeister?

Well, then there's no risk! ;) I sent him an email hopefully he gets back to me soon.

Oh, maybe you all can help me with another thing I'm looking for advice on. Next month I'm going to go visit a friend and we want to play some SNES games. He only has an HDTV and he only has HDMI & Component ports. I'm not really able to swing a FrameMeister now (and certainly not for one weekend). What's going to be my best way to play on that TV and make my games not look like crap? An RGB -> HDMI converter? Is there a cheaper alternative to the FrameMeister?

Don't know what your budget is but an RGB SCART cable and an RGB->Component transcoder would be a viable option. The SNES RGB SCART cable is about $20 and the YUV Component transcoder runs about $50.

Granted, it won't scale or filter the way an XRGB Framemeister would. You're just getting the best color separation his TV will allow for SNES.

-KRS-

I edited my post. If I have to pay the shipping cost I'll have paid more in shipping than I paid for the cartridge.

edit: emailed the seller now. guess we'll see what he says. I'm leaning towards shipping it back even if I have to pay the shipping costs because I just don't want a damaged game in my collection.

ok seller responded now and said he'll pay me back the money for the game, and I don't even have to send it back as he also understood that it would then cost me more in shipping than I paid for the game. So, a happy ending there at least. I guess I'll give away the game to someone once I get a replacement.

Top Bottom