• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
yeah, im putting in an offer or two on the cheap...never got to play it, and shmups are one of those genres i love but rarely get better at, heh

also, went & looked up Captain Commando...well, that's what i get for thinking that'd be cheap/Spawn-priced

yeah captain commando is not cheap paid $55 for it and that was cheaper then normal usually hits for the mid $60 to $70 range but it is a very solid and awesome beat em up

Linkhero1

Well, that ban hurt more than I thought it would. I can’t say that I didn’t deserve it. Note to self, be wary of posting in off-topic. I spent my time banned following this thread and while I was away I picked up some new titles :)

lJhaiFv.jpg

I decided that it was worth dropping $100 on Dracula X only because I wasn’t going to be able to get it for any cheaper. The label is torn a bit but it’s sure a lot better than the ones I’ve seen on eBay that go for $130+. One step closer to completing my collection! (Sorry for the crappy pic)

Other Non-Pictured Pickups:
Sonic Blastman II
Mega Man 7

Now, I need a bit of help. I know I’m missing some nice staples that are essential to own. Here’s a list of games I own and at the bottom games I want. Please take a quick look and recommend me some titles. I’ll take a look at some YouTube videos and see if they interest me!

http://textdump.net/read/1796/

Now, I need a bit of help. I know I’m missing some nice staples that are essential to own. Here’s a list of games I own and at the bottom games I want. Please take a quick look and recommend me some titles. I’ll take a look at some YouTube videos and see if they interest me!

http://textdump.net/read/1796/

Actraiser 2 but no Actraiser? C'mon son. Easiest recommendation ever.

Also, get The Ninja Warriors. It's the best action game on SNES!

Linkhero1

Actraiser 2 but no Actraiser? C'mon son. Easiest recommendation ever.

I got it for like $5 but didn't really enjoy it. Is the first any different from the second game?

I've seen it and it looks interesting. I just don't know if it's worth dropping the asking price for it now.

Teknoman

I got it for like $5 but didn't really enjoy it. Is the first any different from the second game?

I've seen it and it looks interesting. I just don't know if it's worth dropping the asking price for it now.

Very different. The first game has much more varied gameplay (I havent played the second, but it seems like straight up action) where you have to rebuild cities and support your people in one phase, then possess a statue and wreck some demons in the second phase of a stage.

Amazing soundtrack too. The pyramid area has some of the best Egyptian style dungeon music i've heard.

As for Ninja Warriors its pretty fun and also has that great Natsume SNES sound. Its only single player though, so most of the replay comes from going through it every so often.

God-damnit if you keep recommending this you're going to cause a price spike and I'm currently trying to get a copy

Speaking of ninja's does anyone know if Musya is any good? Thinking about picking up a copy since I love horror style games and it has a horror theme

ys45

If you saw Mega Man X3 CIB for $250 and didn't buy, you have made an error.

Seriously ? I might go back to the place and check to make sure it is in good condition but Im not a big fan of MM so i d'ont know ...

The CIB i see on eBay is going for like 500$ BIN but the question is are they really selling at this price ?

Because i sure could use that money toward something like Demon Crest or E.V.O instead :p

Teknoman

God-damnit if you keep recommending this you're going to cause a price spike and I'm currently trying to get a copy

Speaking of ninja's does anyone know if Musya is any good? Thinking about picking up a copy since I love horror style games and it has a horror theme

I remember renting eons ago from some random mom and pop shop...and seemed good back then. These days people keep saying that its average, but imo it still looks like a nice horror action game. I wouldnt pay too much for it though.

I remember renting eons ago from some random mom and pop shop...and seemed good back then. These days people keep saying that its average, but imo it still looks like a nice horror action game. I wouldnt pay too much for it though.

It's average. If you can find it for under $15 go for it. I finished it in one night when I rented it back in the day.

Seriously ? I might go back to the place and check to make sure it is in good condition but Im not a big fan of MM so i d'ont know ...

The CIB i see on eBay is going for like 500$ BIN but the question is are they really selling at this price ?

Because i sure could use that money toward something like Demon Crest or E.V.O instead :p

Check sold listings. A CIB one went for $151 shipped a liitle over a week ago (auction).

Mzo

Why are people having a bidding war with 4 days left on the auction? They fucking hate money.

what is wrong with you learn to eBay hurrdurr

Why are people having a bidding war with 4 days left on the auction? They fucking hate money.

Check the feedbacks. Often times zero/low feedback bidders are the seller's dummy accounts to drive the price up.

krae_man

Unless he's racked up 20+ transactions on one and 40+ on the other, these are real people.

Some people don't want to risk the seller ending the auction early and relisting it. Or someone making a backdoor deal with the seller. I'm assuming you're after something rare and not common.

Linkhero1

Don't worry pseudo, I won't be getting it for a while but it's definitely on my radar now :p

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I just picked up a SNES Jr. at the local retro shop. $35 for just the console. I have plenty of controllers + cables, so I didn't think it was worth another $20 for those. Now I just need to find someone to do an s-video/RGB mod for me for cheap. Anyone have any suggetsions?

Zing

Banned
Check sold listings. A CIB one went for $151 shipped a liitle over a week ago (auction).
You should look more closely. That auction has a beat box, the manual was missing the cover, and the cart had torn stickers on the label.

A cart with no stickers will sell for $150-180. Manual is anywhere from $50-100. Box with minimal damage is the same. A CIB with minimal damage would sell instantly for $300-350.

IrishNinja

fuckin' thank you

Some people don't want to risk the seller ending the auction early and relisting it.

huh...never even thought of this angle

You should look more closely. That auction has a beat box, the manual was missing the cover, and the cart had torn stickers on the label.

A cart with no stickers will sell for $150-180. Manual is anywhere from $50-100. Box with minimal damage is the same. A CIB with minimal damage would sell instantly for $300-350.

to be fair, how often do you see MMX3 without a ripped label?

krae_man

huh...never even thought of this angle

I saw a thread on Atari Age from a guy complaining about it. He saw a system and game lot that had a boxed copy of a really rare game as part of the listing and the seller didn't know it was rare. He logged into his dummy account, put a $500 or whatever bid in, then logged out and before he had a chance to log into his other account and also put a $500 bid in, the seller ended the listing and cancelled his bid. A couple hours later the listing reappeared with a $150 buy it now that was instantly swooped up.

He was complaining that he lost out on a super hard to find game via a backdoor deal that his double bidding was trying to prevent in the first place.

Then there are also sellers who get scared when there's less then an hour left and their auction is barely over the minimum bid and they don't want to risk it selling for well under what they want to sell it for.

-KRS-

huh, I didn't know you could pull auctions on ebay after people have started bidding on it. That seems pretty bad.

krae_man

huh, I didn't know you could pull auctions on ebay after people have started bidding on it. That seems pretty bad.

Any time before the auction ends you can cancel bids and you can cancel an auction with no bids on it. So just cancel all the bids, then cancel the listing. In theory, you could use it for a legitimate reason like if your house got broken into and the item was stolen or something, but there are no rules about what is an acceptable reason to end an auction as far as I'm aware. Be kind of hard to police anyway.

Edit: Never mind, here are the rules:

U6qbMsd.jpg

I only end auctions earlier if the item isn't selling and I'm afraid it'll go for like a buck, though lately it had been deadbeat buyers...

Drain You

Man, after reading through this thread, and my recent pickups, it is really hard for me to not get into starting a Snes collection. I just keeping checking ebay auctions and prices etc. Damn my fond childhood Snes memories.

Fox Mulder

it's within the ebay rules to cancel auctions for any reason really as long as there's 12 hours left.

People are selling to earn money not give buyers steals. Using reserves turns off buyers and starting at .99 cents is a preferred way to generate interest. If buyers showed serious interest before the last 10 minutes of every auction, maybe sellers wouldn't cancel auctions when they get nervous about the low bids.

Man, after reading through this thread, and my recent pickups, it is really hard for me to not get into starting a Snes collection. I just keeping checking ebay auctions and prices etc. Damn my fond childhood Snes memories.

Yeah. I feel really fortunate that I have places around me that still sell things at a decent price (well below ebay). Even they seem to be raising their prices slowly but surely, though. But, at this point I really have most of the things I really want outside of the high price stuff like Dracula X and the like.

Ready for summer to get some garage sales going on.

Drain You

Yeah. I feel really fortunate that I have places around me that still sell things at a decent price (well below ebay). Even they seem to be raising their prices slowly but surely, though. But, at this point I really have most of the things I really want outside of the high price stuff like Dracula X and the like.

Ready for summer to get some garage sales going on.

I wish places around here still sold older games. Prices really IMO can only go up. Mark this post as the start of my Snes collecting. I have given in.

inner-G

Banned
That is the plan. Don't care for loose carts. I've already played the shit out of the games I like. Hell I've even been tempted to grab some factory sealed games. Can't justify the price though.
I'm going with universal cases and loose carts. Even complete, SNES boxes get dings, smashes and generally beat up quite easily. Collections in universal cases just look so clean and tidy.

Teknoman

I'm going with universal cases and loose carts. Even complete, SNES boxes get dings, smashes and generally beat up quite easily. Collections in universal cases just look so clean and tidy.

This, though I wont knock a CIB if its a good price. I'll just put the box in a box and store everything.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I'm thinking I'm going to do the Universal Game Cases, but I'll probably work on buying the games first. Unfortunately my collection + want list of like 35 games has now turned into 60 games I have and another 55 I want. :(

Drain You

To be honest id rather a dinged up original case than a universal case. Dunno what the consensus is in this thread but that is how I feel personally. Also Im sure this has been asked, but is there any sort of database that track the going prices for loose/CIB/sealed game prices?

EDIT: Just saying, the list of games I'd want is very short. Seeing some of you say your list is 30+ games makes me feel lucky that I never cared for that many games from this gen.

IrishNinja

SFC Mega Man X3 for $31.50, that'll do. label intact! only sensible option for me.

looking for deals on R-Type 3 & Captain Commando SFC's now, might try this Ninja Warriors one later and add that to the list as well.

Buy CIB and never go back.

to each their own, but this is the route of madness.
i sold my manuals for hundreds of dollars years back when i was hurting (thankfully kept the carts); i get that its part of the experience but i honestly dont read em. i want clean carts to go in universal game cases, that's enough for me!

IrishNinja

not to start a war BUTS

sega loved their fans more, that's why we got proper shells. nintendo didn't give proper cases till digital media! so cheap. my only regret with my flattened old SNES boxes is that i couldve sold em at mark up now

To be honest id rather a dinged up original case than a universal case.

I'm just the opposite. I like everything looking nice and neat on my shelf. I'm also playing the shit out of the stuff so I'd be handling the boxes more than I would feel comfortable with. I do think the original boxes are really awesome to look at though, so I totally get people wanting them.

I got some cases after I got my Earthbound and decided I wanted to protect some of my shit better. Haven't done everything yet 'cause I don't have the space at all, but I got the stuff I really care about into cases.

i2e5Bgo.jpg

You'll notice my complete Donkey Kong Trilogy, which if you didn't see my thanks on the last page, let me say it again. Thanks for the copy of part three, you are ridiculously awesome.

Also Im sure this has been asked, but is there any sort of database that track the going prices for loose/CIB/sealed game prices?

Don't think there is way to view the difference between loose and CIB, but this site tracks sales:

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/

IrishNinja

goddamn, hero...your UNC's look so much better than mine. i should redo the cover art sometime, too many white edges where they were clearly cut on mine, heh

Secret of Mana 2 (english seiken densetsu 3) - was debating a repro cart, any thoughts on the game? how's it hold up next to OG Secret of Mana?

goddamn, hero...your UNC's look so much better than mine. i should redo the cover art sometime, too many white edges where they were clearly cut on mine, heh

Secret of Mana 2 (english seiken densetsu 3) - was debating a repro cart, any thoughts on the game? how's it hold up next to OG Secret of Mana?

I fucking suck at cutting. I don't know how you can suck at such a thing, but I do. I partly blame a dull paper cutter, but that may or may not be complete bullshit. Moral of the story, I have Staples cut them for me.

Definitely liked Secret of Mana 1 way more than part two. Part two is still good, and worth playing for sure if you're a fan of the first. It has some changes to the battle system that are good, but then it has some changes I didn't like. I chose my party without reading anything online, and I wound up with a group that didn't have any offensive magic. Sucked. I have seen others say they prefer part two more, so who knows, maybe you'll really fall for it. It was good enough I'll play it again for sure eventually. Seems like there is a decent amount different depending on what characters you choose.

I'd hold off on buying any repros right now. Judging by these two NA threads, I'm thinking it's going to be a lot easier to get cheaper repros in the coming months:

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=99498

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=97442

IrishNinja

whoah...nice find! $25 for SOM 2, Terranigma...man id go in on SMT, FF V, More Zombies, possibly some other fan ones if i got a chance to play em! that guy's got a great idea.

does he say anything about labels? i'd totally need those, not much else. do you think he'd do a site or only sell to members? man maybe i should finally join nintendo-age

Huh, he did have pictures of his labels. Wonder why he removed them. They were good looking. I've not seen a repro maker that doesn't put labels on the cart. Hopefully he comes through. The fact two people have asked for updates and he hasn't responded isn't a good sign, especially since you can see he's been online since they posted.

But, hopefully seeing an established place like Retro Quest lowering their prices is the start of a new trend. People charging $60+ for a repro are fucking nuts. Glad to see competition bringing down prices.

EDIT: Here are his pics of his labels, don't know why he'd remove them from his OP. But, yeah, nice looking:

Teknoman

Huh, he did have pictures of his labels. Wonder why he removed them. They were good looking. I've not seen a repro maker that doesn't put labels on the cart. Hopefully he comes through. The fact two people have asked for updates and he hasn't responded isn't a good sign, especially since you can see he's been online since they posted.

But, hopefully seeing an established place like Retro Quest lowering their prices is the start of a new trend. People charging $60+ for a repro are fucking nuts. Glad to see competition bringing down prices.

EDIT: Here are his pics of his labels, don't know why he'd remove them from his OP. But, yeah, nice looking:

Thats the 25 dollar donor guy labels right?

Anyway, whats the RetroQuest guy going on about with "no saves"? Or does he just mean games that naturally dont have save features?

IrishNinja

sharp! man i hope he comes through. agreed that > $50 for repors feels jacked, im okay with the genesis ones im looking at @ 37.50 but not much higher than that if i can.

now, with that one site that does Mother 3 translated for GBA, im waiting on that for $45 cause ive seen it way higher on NintendoAge...i think Mother fans in general are just more accustomed to being jacked? heh

either way, i appreciate the heads-up, guess i'll hold off a bit. if you could update this thread (or perhaps we should do a dedicated repro thread? stumps said it should be okay), i'll be your best friend.

Thats the 25 dollar donor guy labels right?

Correct.

Here are some of Retro Quest's (also top notch looking):

either way, i appreciate the heads-up, guess i'll hold off a bit. if you could update this thread (or perhaps we should do a dedicated repro thread? stumps said it should be okay), i'll be your best friend.

I'll definitely post when there is an update on either one.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I need to email that $25 dude and see if he'll just swap out the EEPROMs in my SFC carts. I'll probably hold off on doing these until I have almost everything I want on my want list... but I want to do it right.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
What should I get for Super Metroid and Chrono Trigger carts nowadays? I had an offer of $125 for both together, and it seems reasonable as a starting point, but I'm not sure.

Top Bottom