• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNK interview - Metal Slug 6, Sam 6 and why Atomiswave...

ge-man

I'm surprised Koyama said as much as he does about the Sony approval process.

"Moving on to recent difficulties with the submissions process at Sony Computer Entertainment America, Koyama-san let the firm’s frustration with recent events be known. As regular readers of SPOnG will know, SNK’s US offering, headed up by the infamous Ben Herman, has had some difficulties in its attempts to get games already on open sale in Japan accepted as stand-alone PlayStation 2 releases. “Sony just isn’t interested in 2D games anymore – whatever it might be,” exclaimed Koyama-san. “And yet shitty games, as long as they are in 3D, trickle trough all the time. It’s a crazy situation and we don’t believe it reflects the needs of game consumers. This is why we decided to release Metal Slug 4 and 5 as Xbox exclusive.”

boutrosinit--Thanks for the link.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Heh, now hear this:

Posted by Qroach @ B3D (he's a developer, btw):
Sony rejects a lot of games at the concept phase, as they can afford to. You wouldn't beleive the number of games each week that get turned down by SCEA. Last year when I talked to the guys htere, they told me there were up to rejecting about 20 games each week, and that was around july. They reject more and more games each year, mainly becuase more and more are submitted. nintendo and MS rarely reject anything.

"Last year when I talked to the guys htere, they told me there were up to rejecting about 20 games each week, and that was around july. They reject more and more games each year, mainly becuase more and more are submitted."

Considering the majority of games made today are 3D, that'd mean most if not all of those are 3D. So much for "They'll let anything through just as long as they're 3D".

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
A Metal Slug Collection on the Gamecube seems like a perfect fit. I'll never understand SNKUSA's official line on the topic of GC development: "It's too late into the lifecycle of the system to start developing games on it." Xbox exclusivity just seems like a bit of a waste because those Metal Slug releases will be overshadowed by so many other games (the same way sports games are overshadowed on the Gamecube only worse).

I mean just look at how well Sonic Mega Collection sold. And now the Megaman Collection is currently on track to sell more on the Gamecube than the PS2 (this despite it being the inferior version). Then of course there was the Zelda compilation which was a huge success as well. These sorts of series compilations just seem to click with the Gamecube's audience. A Metal Slug Collection really seems like a no brainer to me but what the hell do I know?

NotMSRP

You hear that develoeprs and publishers?! Move over to Nin and M$!

A good chunk of GC's buying audience are parents. Seeing a value bundle pack just clicks with them. tons of games for a reasonably low price = sell
parents = budget/value shoppers

So Sony rejects 1000 games a year. Impressive! Of course, too bad these are mythological games, because it surely doesn't apply to the Akklaims and Infograms of the world. And Japan isn't having that many games a year published, so it can't be that Japanese released games are all being rejected. But impressive rhetoric none-the-less. I guess Sony is really taking a stand against concepts submitted with the home-brew linux kit.

MoxManiac

I thought Metal Slug 4 and 5 were a go for PS2 as well?

Hell, I thought the whole reason behind 4 and 5 being bundled together was to get it on PS2?

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
And yet, I wonder how well MS4 and 5 will do on the Xbox.

shoplifter

ge-man said:
I'm surprised Koyama said as much as he does about the Sony approval process.

"Moving on to recent difficulties with the submissions process at Sony Computer Entertainment America, Koyama-san let the firm’s frustration with recent events be known. As regular readers of SPOnG will know, SNK’s US offering, headed up by the infamous Ben Herman, has had some difficulties in its attempts to get games already on open sale in Japan accepted as stand-alone PlayStation 2 releases. “Sony just isn’t interested in 2D games anymore – whatever it might be,” exclaimed Koyama-san. “And yet shitty games, as long as they are in 3D, trickle trough all the time. It’s a crazy situation and we don’t believe it reflects the needs of game consumers. This is why we decided to release Metal Slug 4 and 5 as Xbox exclusive.”

<3 <3 <3

MoxManiac said:

Hell, I thought the whole reason behind 4 and 5 being bundled together was to get it on PS2?

Going by retail sites, it still is. Seems like another one of Spong's "stories".

Marconelly said:
Heh, now hear this:

Sony rejects a lot of games at the concept phase, as they can afford to. You wouldn't beleive the number of games each week that get turned down by SCEA. Last year when I talked to the guys htere, they told me there were up to rejecting about 20 games each week, and that was around july. They reject more and more games each year, mainly becuase more and more are submitted. nintendo and MS rarely reject anything.
I kind of doubt Sony denies that many concepts per week (at least on a consistent basis).

SolidSnakex said:
Considering the majority of games made today are 3D, that'd mean most if not all of those are 3D. So much for "They'll let anything through just as long as they're 3D".
We've already been down this road too many times before.

MoxManiac said:

I have a feeling Sony wants a $20 price point while SNK probably wants to stick to their $40 price point but that's just my guess.

Marconelly said:
Heh, now hear this:

This statement is incorrect.

Hellraizah

It's still in the release dates for PS2, yet, you can see the "Only for Xbox" logo on the box :
243660.jpg

Hellraizah said:
It's still in the release dates for PS2, yet, you can see the "Only for Xbox" logo on the box :
243660.jpg
I'd believe SNK over EB or Gamestop anyday. Hell, both stores/sites had MS3 listed even after it was widely known that Sony officially rejected it.

Hellraizah

Mr_Furious said:
I'd believe SNK over EB or Gamestop anyday. Hell, both stores/sites had MS3 listed even after it was widely known that Sony officially rejected it.
I agree.......but remember it has been said on Spong. Maybe it's true, maybe it's not. However......
http://www.snkneogeousaconsumer.com/corporate/press/e3_2k4.shtml
"Bonus Combination DVD packs on the PlayStation 2 and Xbox
PlayStation 2 and Xbox owners can have an instant SNK arcade library in their home with the release of two SNK combination packs for the systems. The classic SNK franchises, METAL SLUG and THE KING OF FIGHTERS will be launched as special two-games-in-one packages during the second half of 2004 and the first half of 2005. METAL SLUG 4 & 5 Combo and THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2002 & 2003 will be available for a consumer-friendly $39.99 MSRP."

Which is an official press release from SNK, maybe it changed afterward, who knows....

that PR was dated 4/29 and I'm assuming the Spong interview occured more recently so I think things have changed for MS4&5's plans.

btw, although Spong has a bad reputation for being wrong a lot, they also have been right on surprising occasions. Also this is an "interview" and I doubt even Spong has the balls to doctor up a phony interview with a major company executive.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Mr_Furious said:
that PR was dated 4/29 and I'm assuming the Spong interview occured more recently so I think things have changed for MS4&5's plans.

The interview took place yesterday in London. And most of the stuff that some of you guys are saying could be bullshit, are things personally confirmed by senior SNK staffers to Spong on that very day. I'd definitely trust this as on the money.

SyNapSe

Has anyone played MS3 on Xbox yet? A fun 2d shooter with co-op sounds great right now! I've only played the MS series sparsely in arcades. If I enjoyed it and wanted to review the whole series is there a way to access the original titles? I think they were on the Neo-geo, but I don't have one.

Hellraizah

If it's true, then, it's really sad to see Sony pass on such a great serie. I guess SNK will maybe move on elsewhere, if they are sick of all this shit. Maybe Nintendo. I agree that SNK would make a great addition to the GameCube's line-up of developpers. I don't want to play any fighting game with the GC controller, though.

Sony's approval process doesn't have anything to do with games being 2D. Otherwise we wouldn't be getting Guilty Gear X3 and Phantom Brave.

They probably just dont want a bunch of 16 bit ports sitting on the shelf released at full price. Which is understandable.

shoplifter

seismologist said:
They probably just dont want a bunch of 16 bit ports sitting on the shelf released at full price. Which is understandable.

Why not let the market decide what a game is worth?

seismologist said:
Sony's approval process doesn't have anything to do with games being 2D. Otherwise we wouldn't be getting Guilty Gear X3 and Phantom Brave.

Winner! Whenever a game looks like it belongs on next gen systems, they don't really seem to give much trouble (if any) about releasing it. The big problem is that 2D developers aren't trying to push the graphics at all. They're just fine sticking to stuff that they've been using for years and years now. Sony does the same with 3D games, they canned Charlies Angels for example because UBI wouldn't fix it up. Yah it's being a graphics tart and all, but it could easily be fixed if 2D developers started pushing the graphics more instead of using the same engine over and over.

ourumov

I think that more than 2D-hate, SCEA position is the following: "We cannot charge full price for games that the casual mass is going to despise". They try to pack them to make more atractive to the gamers...

I say SCEA because it's clear that SCEE approach is totally diferent...2 days ago I paid 30€ for Hyper Street Fighter 2.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
SolidSnakex said:
Winner! Whenever a game looks like it belongs on next gen systems, they don't really seem to give much trouble (if any) about releasing it. The big problem is that 2D developers aren't trying to push the graphics at all. They're just fine sticking to stuff that they've been using for years and years now. Sony does the same with 3D games, they canned Charlies Angels for example because UBI wouldn't fix it up. Yah it's being a graphics tart and all, but it could easily be fixed if 2D developers started pushing the graphics more instead of using the same engine over and over.

Couldn't have said it better myself...

Though I'm still unclear as to why Greg's Horror Show was a no-show in the States.

boutrosinit said:
Though I'm still unclear as to why Greg's Horror Show was a no-show in the States.

That I can't really defend. :p Was it officially shot down or did Capcom ever try to bring it over? I know some said NAMCO tried to bring ToD2 over and that turned out to be false, so you never know now.

SyNapSe

Yeah, it is kind of a crock of crap they want $39.99 for Metal Slug 3. I mean that's what Sony releases their brand new first party titles at.

shoplifter

SyNapSe said:
Yeah, it is kind of a crock of crap they want $39.99 for Metal Slug 3. I mean that's what Sony releases their brand new first party titles at.

Yet, it's worth every damn penny.

\/\/ it's just MS3. If you want to play the earlier ones, you'll have to grab the Saturn or Neo MS1, Neo MS2 or PS1 MSX

You should buy it. It's great.

SyNapSe

shoplifter said:
Yet, it's worth every damn penny.

Has anyone played MS3 on Xbox yet? A fun 2d shooter with co-op sounds great right now! I've only played the MS series sparsely in arcades. If I enjoyed it and wanted to review the whole series is there a way to access the original titles? I think they were on the Neo-geo, but I don't have one.

NotMSRP

SyNapSe said:
It's perception. Sony wants people to think of their system as having tons of games and at reasonable prices.

Then why are games on the shelves $50? That's not reasonably priced according to the mass consumer. Plus, b&w manuals for a $50 game is unacceptable. That right there just shows companies being cheapos while charging maximum dollar.

NotMSRP said:
Then why are games $50? That's not reasonably priced according to the mass consumer. Plus, b&w manuals for a $50 is unacceptable. That right there just shows companies being cheapos while charging maximum dollar.

Well the majority of the best sellers cost 50, so obviously it's worth it to the consumer or else they wouldn't buy them. With MS though when they're released at full price they simply don't sell. So that kinda works into Sony's own argument.

SyNapSe

NotMSRP said:
Then why are games on the shelves $50? That's not reasonably priced according to the mass consumer. Plus, b&w manuals for a $50 game is unacceptable. That right there just shows companies being cheapos while charging maximum dollar.

MS3 is a port of an oldish arcade game with no upgrades graphically or otherwise. Outside of the Xbox version being able to update scores to Live. $39.99 is pretty steep for that.. considering the new R & C, or GT4 should be the same price.

Look at MMAC.. it's a compilation of 10 games ported and it's still only $29.

ge-man

SyNapSe said:
It's perception. Sony wants people to think of their system as having tons of games and at reasonable prices.

Forget perception. If SNK want's to charge that much, let them. Either people are going to except it, or eventually the game will be slashed in price and SNK will learn their lesson. Pricing is no reason to block a game IMO, especially in the case of MS which has limited appeal. The game is not being made for the masses, so it shouldn't have to be subjected to the kind of reasoning behind pricing casual gamer releases.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Given that an Xbox only release pretty much demolishes potential sales of the Metal Slug games in Japan.... WHY is it Xbox only? I understand why it won't be released on the PS2, but what reason does SNK have for not making it a GC/Xbox release?

SyNapSe

DavidDayton said:
Given that an Xbox only release pretty much demolishes potential sales of the Metal Slug games in Japan.... WHY is it Xbox only? I understand why it won't be released on the PS2, but what reason does SNK have for not making it a GC/Xbox release?

Tis a good question. My only guess is that perhaps it was easier to port to the Xbox? I'm sure the PS2 version was the real goal.

ge-man

DavidDayton said:

My guess is licensing, though I am not sure how comparable Nintendo is to the other companies at the moment. All I know is that Nintendo would be less likely to block the game--Ikaruga was 40 bucks and it's actually a shorter game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
If it's true, then, it's really sad to see Sony pass on such a great serie.
The great serie ended with MS3, sadly. MS4 and 5 are utter recycled trash compared to the first three games.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
ge-man said:
My guess is licensing, though I am not sure how comparable Nintendo is to the other companies at the moment. All I know is that Nintendo would be less likely to block the game--Ikaruga was 40 bucks and it's actually a shorter game.

Eh. Nintendo seems to be the "loosest" as far as "budget" licensing goes... Blowout was originally given a MSRP of $10, but it only had that price on the PS2 and GC versions... MS wouldn't let Majesco sell a $10 new game...

Again, it just doesn't make any sense. If you can't get the game rele--

Wait, was Metal Slug 3 released for the PS2 in Japan?

ge-man

DavidDayton said:
Eh. Nintendo seems to be the "loosest" as far as "budget" licensing goes... Blowout was originally given a MSRP of $10, but it only had that price on the PS2 and GC versions... MS wouldn't let Majesco sell a $10 new game...

Again, it just doesn't make any sense. If you can't get the game rele--

Wait, was Metal Slug 3 released for the PS2 in Japan?

MS3 was released in Japan. This is SCEA problem. The other divisions don't seem to have these same issues.

As for my argument--I really don't know. The license thing was a guess based on something that was mentioned before about SNK saying that GC development was too expensive or something like that. I find it hard to believe that there would be a huge amount technical difficulties in porting the game.

MoxManiac

I say SCEA because it's clear that SCEE approach is totally diferent...2 days ago I paid 30€ for Hyper Street Fighter 2.

We're getting both HSF2 -and- SF3 3rd for $30. So perhaps SCEA does know what they are doing.

To be honest, i've hated SCEA alot in the past, but they seemed to be doing well in getting companies to offer more for less now.

Honestly, Playmore sucks. NeoGeo tech is old as dirt, and as much as I love 2D fighters (nobody that knows me can dispute this) the fact of the matter is Playmore continues to drag SNK's good name through the mud with their crappy games, and worse yet, on hardware that was long outdated. Bash Capcom all you want for their low res sprites, but they at least moved on from CPS2 a long time ago.

I'll never forgive SCEA for axing Shadow Tower Abyss, though. There was no reason to do that.

seismologist said:
MS 4&5 has already been approved so Spong's interview is bogus. They probably meant to say MS3 will only be on Xbox.
Many games get a tentative approval pending future stipulations. I think in this particular instance price might've been the deciding factor in Sony reversing their approval of MS4&5. Same happened for MS3.

MoxManiac said:
We're getting both HSF2 -and- SF3 3rd for $30. So perhaps SCEA does know what they are doing.
Some of these "other" 2D games that still seem to get released either:

A) have great replay value at cheaper prices

and/or

B) are being released by companies that have bargaining chips to help leverage their concepts submitted at Sony. This is where SNK has a serious problem.

Top Bottom