• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNK VS. CAPCOM SVC CHAOS It was an underrated game in its time.?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
When the Game was launched, if I'm not mistaken, it was at the time when the Arcade rooms were in their final stage.

The game did seem strange to me, especially in how they represented Zero.

But I gave it a chance and the game itself is good, but the Spanish in the texts are strange.

The best characters I always see are Serious Mr Karate, Zero and Athena.

Now the game apparently finds interest and popularity, when in its time no one or very few people played it.

Mitsurux

It was a pretty late release on the Neo Geo, and I remember very little hype for the Xbox release. I think It may have been overshadowed by Capcom vs Snk 1/2

Celcius

°Temp. member
At the time CvS2 was way bigger and it was also one of those last titles for the NeoGeo but I loved it back in the day and think it's really cool that it got made.
We need Violent Ken in SF6!

cireza

Gold Member
I always loved this game but there are a few things that could be improved, especially the impacts of the hits, and slow down a bit the gameplay. I don't know why they settled for something so fast, with hits that barely leave an impact.

But otherwise, it is a game I enjoy. Pixel-art is superb (unlike the ugly shit that was done by Capcom while they were losing all their 2D skills), I like that they decided on a theme (post-apocalyptic) and sticked to it. All the colors, stages and musics feel like they belong to this strange parallel universe.

The roster is excellent, with great picks and a ton of work invested on the Capcom characters. Funny thinking that the best renditions of these characters ever are in a SNK game lol. The IA is unbearable, as usual, good luck seeing even one of the characters' true endings.

This re-release should have included Survival and Color Edit. I mean, these were present in the previous release on Xbox, with Online. The new release should retain at least all the features the previous ports had (and yes I know, it is an emulator and a Neo Geo rom, but this sucks, should have put more budget/effort in this and made brand new port, especially at that price).

Last edited:
It's a weird, flawed game that had the misfortune of coming after Capcom vs SNK 2...
If it had come before it, I don't think the game would have had the same reputation that it did.

But it does have a strong cult following.
And now with the hopes of a CvS 3 being around the corner, people are looking at it more fondly.

The roster is really good, but also quite weird (In a good way, mostly).
Not to mention 10 of the characters being hidden behind arcade cheat codes ("press and hold ______, foward back, left, right, up down...")

I went in wanting to play with Demitri and Athena.
The former is locked behind a cheat code, and the latter is not even playable (In the Neogeo release at least, I don't know about the other versions).

The stages are weird, and kind of bleak for no reason, the music is derivative of other past SNK games.

Like, compare the character select themes of both this game and CvS 2... The latter has a more electrifying vibe. The former is again, bleak.

The game just feels really rushed and cheap at times, which makes sense considering the behind the scenes stuff at the time...

anthony2690

It's a weird, flawed game that had the misfortune of coming after Capcom vs SNK 2...
If it had come before it, I don't think the game would have had the same reputation that it did.

But it does have a strong cult following.
And now with the hopes of a CvS 3 being around the corner, people are looking at it more fondly.

The roster is really good, but also quite weird (In a good way, mostly).
Not to mention 10 of the characters being hidden behind arcade cheat codes ("press and hold ______, foward back, left, right, up down...")

I went in wanting to play with Demitri and Athena.
The former is locked behind a cheat code, and the latter is not even playable (In the Neogeo release at least, I don't know about the other versions).

The stages are weird, and kind of bleak for no reason, the music is derivative of other past SNK games.

Like, compare the character select themes of both this game and CvS 2... The latter has a more electrifying vibe. The former is again, bleak.

The game just feels really rushed and cheap at times, which makes sense considering the behind the scenes stuff at the time...
10 fighters are cheat codes on original Xbox atleast, hold R1 when selecting certain fighters.

Are they still cheat codes in the new release I wonder?

Last edited:
10 fighters are cheat codes on original Xbox atleast, hold R1 when selecting certain fighters.

Are they still cheat codes in the new release I wonder?
Probably not. In the trailer they said that Athena and the Red dude (forgot his name) are available from the get-go.

So I think is very likely that Dan, Goenitz, Demitri, so on, are also available.

The game is absolutely garbage tier. I got excited when it was announced during Evo, and so went to fightcade to give it a spin to see if my opinions on it had changed , and nope. Still garbage to this day. Has not aged well at all.

Your time would be better spent in a variety of other old school fighting games if that’s what you are looking for.

I liked it, but the roster felt lacking and the soundtrack was missing that good presentation that Capcom was known for. To be fair they did have a cooler intro between the two of them, but with Capcom's volcano intro and announcer it really felt like they were trying to hype up an audience to a battle of the millennium.

Also for some reason, even though the spritework is arguably better than CvS 2, SvC looked much uglier, artistically, to me and my friends back then when it released. Can't put my finger on why.

Edit: And this goes back to my point in other past threads where people really underestimate the impact of presentation, especially when it comes to music. It literally means the difference between 'Oh yea I remember that game' and having an actual feeling of nostalgia.

Last edited:

Crayon

It fell between the cracks because it just wasn't that good. Zero was banned in like a week. Beautiful and fascinating, but nothing you wanted to invest time into.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I also want to give the roster a shoutout. Who else gives you Tessa, Mars People, Shiki, Mr Karate, etc... aka characters that usually don't show up in crossover fighting games for some reason. Then they got innovative and gave us Violent Ken, Shin Mr Karate, etc... I really like the roster of this game.

Then I also like how this one has a much more serious tone than the Capcom VS games. The character artwork is gorgeous as well and in-game it feels like it's taking full advantage of the Neo Geo hardware (although yes it was weaker than Naomi, CPS2, etc...).

OplgqWV.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom