• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So... How's SNK vs Capcom?

Sai

Online, I mean. I know what the majority of you think about the way the game plays overall, so spare me. ;)

Online, does it play any better than CvS2, at the very least?

Sai said:
Online, I mean. I know what the majority of you think about the way the game plays overall, so spare me. ;)

Online, does it play any better than CvS2, at the very least?

I know Guilty Gear XX plays better than CvS2 via XBL. This game has me spolied with it's low price and seemless online play. Capcom should take notes. I'm waitng for SvC to drop in price, can't pay $49.99 forit, now if it were the King of Fighters 02/03 combo pack.......

LakeEarth

20030214l.gif

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I picked up the game today and am going to play online very soon. I'll post how the connection goes; I'm spoiled after MK Deception (LAG FREE), so it's definitely going to be noticeable to me if slowdown is there. I've been editing colors on most of the characters all day (at work!)....it's amazing how tweaking some color pallettes can make everything look a lot richer in color.

BTW, the game is uncensored, despite what earlier reports said.

Lyte Edge

Vgamer said:
Oh is SNK vs Capcom out already?

Yeah, stores got it today. $50 did feel steep, especially when I have the PS2 import, used to own the cart, and have it emulated on my Xbox already, but I couldn't help it...had to have the game for the online play. :)

BTW, this game's image quality looks pretty bad in 480p. When I was at work today, I was playing it via an S-Video connection, and the game looked a lot better. If you are playing on a HD TV, use a wide screen option; it helps to "crunch" the characters down and make them look the way they should, as well as hide the pixellated look. Works for me, anyway....it very well could just be my TV.

Ryck

Lyte Edge said:
Yeah, stores got it today. $50 did feel steep, especially when I have the PS2 import, used to own the cart, and have it emulated on my Xbox already, but I couldn't help it...had to have the game for the online play. :)

BTW, this game's image quality looks pretty bad in 480p. When I was at work today, I was playing it via an S-Video connection, and the game looked a lot better. If you are playing on a HD TV, use a wide screen option; it helps to "crunch" the characters down and make them look the way they should, as well as hide the pixellated look. Works for me, anyway....it very well could just be my TV.
How's it compare to the emulated version ( which I assume is the japan version that's the one I have)

Apharmd Battler said:
I know Guilty Gear XX plays better than CvS2 via XBL. This game has me spolied with it's low price and seemless online play. Capcom should take notes. I'm waitng for SvC to drop in price, can't pay $49.99 forit, now if it were the King of Fighters 02/03 combo pack.......

I haven't played one game of Guilty Gear without lag YET. And I've also had more dropouts than a school without condoms.

Lyte Edge

Okay, just played eight matches online. Of those, I only played seven...one guy's connection dropped immediately, and I got the win for it. I am glad to see that there is an option to filter out (what I assume are) Athena and Red Arremer when creating matches, and also those that quit on you give you the win. I won six of the bouts I played, and out of all the matches, only one guy tried talking. He was a jerk too, so I beat him really bad after the first round. :p

Anyway, right now, I'm let down by the online play. I'm hoping it's just a bad server or bad connections or ANYTHING else, but the game plays like molasses online...it's as if the frame rate has been cut in half and you're underwater. :\ Some matches did go a lot better than others though. Oddly enough, unlike a slow-ass lag-filled CvS2 match when that game launched, I was always able to get my moves/combos off. Strange. Good, but strange.

My connection is going slow as I type this, so it COULD be that too.

There's 530+ players that have the game and are on Live according to the statistics, yet I had to wait a while to find people to play. You can create and join lobbies where people can play each other as soon as the matches are over though.

Hopefully the lag and lack of players is just due to the game being released today; if there's no improvement, I'm going to have to sell this game off, since I only bought it for online play. I may have to try GGXX #Reload out next.

Ryck said:
How's it compare to the emulated version ( which I assume is the japan version that's the one I have)

Basically the same thing. You get all the fighters unlocked from the start, sans Athena and Red Arremer (who are unlocked through survival mode). Sound effects have been slightly improved, and all special moves now have blur/transparency effects. Some of the nastier infinites are gone too. As for extras, you get survival mode, gallery mode, and color edit mode.

Lyte Edge

As of right now, I'm ranked 34/577 players. 24 wins, 5 losses, rank level #8. Most of the people I've played don't seem to have any idea what the ground step system is. :D

Most matches have been playable, but even the best STILL did not feel like the game was running at full speed. I'd say right now the game is lagging for me the same way CvS2 did. Anyone else play it online yet?

So SNK vs Capcom is uncensored that great I was afraid Mai's boobs would not bounce. I hope you don't have to put your x box on the Japanese setting like the Demo to get the uncensored game.

Lyte Edge

Nope, it's all uncensored without having to do anything.

This is a first for SNK.

Mzo

Apharmd Battler said:
I know Guilty Gear XX plays better than CvS2 via XBL.
CvS2 was playable between me (in Miami) and my friend in California. Not perfect, but playable.

GG had a full 2 second input delay. I've played many, many decent CvS2 matches, but have yet to play a single game of GG that didn't make me choke at the lag.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I've got a couple people in Japan on my friend list whom I used to play in CVSNK2 with relative ease, I was just fortunate enough to not share the lag problems that so many complained about. The Penny Arcade comic was a total shock to me when it was released. Forum member Aerofx used to play the game religiously(and QUITE well might I add) and almost everytime I challenged him, the matches ran very smoothly.

GGXX for the most part is pretty good, but compared to offline play there is a very noticeable difference in speed and input recognition here and there. I often have severe issues with air-dashing for example. For the most part it's competent online, but MKD is most definately the new standard...in terms of lag.

Lyte Edge

Played some more matches; finally fought some people that knew what they were doing and I lost some matches. :)

Shin Akuma needs to be banned from online play as well. I forgot that he has unlimited supers. People have already figured out that you can just wait until there's a second or two left, then pick him before the opponent realizes they are about to get uber cheap. :/

Also played some lag-free matches, so it's definitely connection-related. Tried GGXX online, and it was unplayable. SvC Chaos just works better online when you play over a laggy connection.

Sai

Jesus Christ, it's bad.

The game itself isn't as bad as people made it out to be... It ain't exactly good, but it ain't bad either. :p

(sorry Lyte Edge, I know you're a fan)

Mzo

MrAngryFace said:
Both SNK vs Capcom and SS5 have me scratching my head. WTF do people love em? They feel slapped together and/or rehash.
They're SNK fans. I think that's enough said.

You think Shin Akuma is bad? Try "Shin" Mr. Karate. That guy has a triple super fireball that is insanely fast, without much of a reload time. You can't roll through it. If the control wasn't as broken as it is, you could probably keep throwing those out * infinity.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Guys have any of you heard anything on a Samurai Shodown collection for XBL? Please SNK do us this one big favor!!!

belgurdo

Banned
isamu said:
Guys have any of you heard anything on a Samurai Shodown collection for XBL? Please SNK do us this one big favor!!!

All I've heard of is SS5/5 Special for the PS2. God knows if 5 Special is the shitty cut home Neo Geo version

Lyte Edge

I doubt the home version of SS5 Special will be the cut AES version...SNK Playmore isn't that stupid. I'm looking forward to it actually....SS5 on PS2 got arranged music, and I'm hoping that SS5 Special will also have the same features as KOF 2003 (new 3D backgrounds, transparancies, blur effects, etc.)

There is no point to having SS5 and SS5 Special sold together as a two-pack...that's a rip-off. :p Instead SNK Playmore should just take Yumeji and Sankuro, and put them into SS5 Special, then sell the game by itself.

I want this trend of new BGs/effects/arranged music to continue for all of SNK's upcoming games...Garou MOTW will rock even more for the PS2 if it gets this treatment.

Sai said:
Jesus Christ, it's bad.

The game itself isn't as bad as people made it out to be... It ain't exactly good, but it ain't bad either. :p

(sorry Lyte Edge, I know you're a fan)

I am a fan, but I also recognize that game is quite broken. It's just fun to me anyway. :) It is SNK's "Marvel Vs. Capcom 2."

When KOF 2002/2003 hits the XBox, this game will likely never be played online again, unless something is done to stop Honki Ni Mr. Karate, Shin Akuma, Red Arremer, and Athena from being played online. I'm still having fun online regardless though.

Top Bottom