• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I got engaged (Vietnamese Catholic Style) 56K Patience Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerKnee

Hey folks. Got engaged and I'm going to to get married 5/28/2005.

Here's my family arriving at her house... ZERG RUSH!!! KEKEKEKEKE ^_^

Engagement_40.JPG

Here are the gifts that we need to give her family so that they can give my fiance up

Engagement_43.jpg

That's me with the glasses. The dood in front of me is carrying a WHOLE roasted pig!

Engagement_39.JPG

Here's me busting out the ring. I was nervous as hell cause I had to propose in front of the whole family!

Engagement_44.jpg

Here's my doing the actual proposal. She said YES! Yay!

Engagement_45.jpg

Here we are in her back yard

Engagement_32.jpg

After the gathering at her house, we headed to a restraurant to eat. Here's a pic of us at the restraurant

Engagement_33.jpg

Here's another pic of us at the restraurant! My personal favorite!

Engagement_13.JPG

That is all. A total of 200 people were there. The wedding is going to have like 500!

Congratulations! That's going to be one big wedding. Your proposal had more people than many weddings.

And yeah, well done. She's cute. ;)

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Very cute (obviously the right word for her looking at the thread). Congratulations!

The woman in black in the first pic looks hot.

calder

Congratulations! :) She's a cutey and you look quite happy together.

You look almost exactly like my friend Vince, you guys even do your hair the same and wear the same glasses. He's also from Vietnam, but I think his family is originally from china. Uh, Vince, is that you? o_O

TigerKnee

calder said:
Congratulations! :) She's a cutey and you look quite happy together.

You look almost exactly like my friend Vince, you guys even do your hair the same and wear the same glasses. He's also from Vietnam, but I think his family is originally from china. Uh, Vince, is that you? o_O

lol. Sorry. Not the same guy. You got a pic of him?

TigerKnee

Pochacco said:
Congrats! ^_^

Those Asian customs are so fun...yet weird.

I hear yah bro. Another weird thing is, I have to pay for the whole wedding. It's probably going to cost me like $30,000:(

Doth Togo

Congratulations, man. She's cute.

All the best!

(Edited: Someone doesn't like my grammar skillz. You know who you are. ...)

I read the second caption "gifts we needed to give" with the first picture, so it looked like the one woman was giving off the two kids.

Congrats dude.

so eerie how exactly similar that is to all of my family and cousins engagement. ahaha. I LOVEEEE the roasted pig man. That crunchie skin....mmmmmmmm. Well anyway, congratS!

Congrats Man! Now reveal to me where I can finde a girl like that! Do it Now! Or I will Ki...............................Ah, sorry got carried away, well anyways Good Luck!

TigerKnee

luvaboi217 said:
so eerie how exactly similar that is to all of my family and cousins engagement. ahaha. I LOVEEEE the roasted pig man. That crunchie skin....mmmmmmmm. Well anyway, congratS!

HELL YEAH! The skins is fucking tasty as hell! The meat ain't too shabby either!

Nice work. I'd love to take some part in the sort of cultural ceremony that you and your friends did there. Very interesting stuff.

Congratulations. Also, she's cute.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
^^

lol! Without reading the quote, I thought you were referring to your wife-to-be... Yummy!

Alos, 1st pic, girl in the red dress (on the left)... Is she mixed?

BuddyC

Congratulations. If you have time, could you explain where/how these customs originated? I can grasp most of it from these pictures, but...

sidenote: Proposing in front of your entire family? Scariest thing ever. You better know she'll say yes.

TigerKnee

Ok. I'm a little Americanized but I'll try to explain it as best as I can. Traditionally, the bride pays for the engagement party and the groom pays for the wedding/reception. I do not propose American style (surprise the bride with a super romantic proposal...). I kind of broke tradition by doing the American style however;) The proposal happens at the engagement party. The purpose of the engagement party is for the proposal and the meeting of the two families. When my family arrives, we have to bring gifts to the bride's family. When inside, each family has an MC that introduces everyone in the family. Once the introduction of families is over, the bride comes out for the first time (red dress) accompanied by a close relative. They hand her over to me, I propose to her, everyone claps and we commence with the mingling. Normally, we just hang at the house, eat and talk. However, due to the size of both parties, the gathering had to be moved to a restaurant.

On the wedding day, I'm a little cloudy on this since I'm not married; we have a traditional wedding ceremony. The reception is a real kicker though. We reserved the whole top floor of a Chinese restaurant. There is going to be 50 tables with 10 peeps at each table. There is going to be an eight course dinner along with a bottle of Cognac at each table and an open bar. We're not going to be eating or enjoying ourselves at all because we have to go around and thank everyone for coming. The real difference here between the American reception and my own is that we do NOT give wedding gifts. Each couple or family that comes brings an envelope with money in it. The polite way to do it is $50 a head. However, close friends and relatives normally give $100. Blood brothers and sisters give more. My parents will probably give me $5000! Moving right along, we proceed to each table and there is a designated MC at every table (normally the oldest person). He gives us a little good luck speech, gathers all envelops from the guests at the particular table and gives it to us. We proceed to do it at EVERY table.

The rest is universally traditional. :)

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I don't suppose the woman in black in the first pic is a sister of your fiance? She has a look on her face like "I cannot believe my younger sister is getting married before me..."

XS+

Banned
Whoa all that for an engagement? Never seen/heard of that before (and I lived in a largely Vietnamese neighborhood when I was younger). Anyway many congrats to you and the lovely lady.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Cool shots and congrats. She is a cute girl and seems like the families like each other.

I like it how the token White guy got all in the middle of the picture.

TigerKnee

Mama Smurf said:
I don't suppose the woman in black in the first pic is a sister of your fiance? She has a look on her face like "I cannot believe my younger sister is getting married before me..."

That's my cousin. She probably has the face because it was hot as FUCK that day. Get this... My dumbass decided to listen to my friends that day. I told them that I was going to be nervous so they told me to drink a glass of brandy and I'll be fine. Turns out I wasn't fine! I felt sober except for the fact that my body was hot as hell! So confined in that small house, all that body heat generating from people and the fact that I was STILL nervous, you can imagine that was sweating my ass off!

Congratulations to you and your future wife!

I'll just break with tradition and say she is a very lovely looking woman. Nice going!

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
No. That's my little sister. She plays alot of tennis so that's why she's kinda dark.

Hopefully not < 18 little. She's cute...

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Congratulations, first of all. That takes stones to propose in front of the entire freaking family, tradition be damned. Enjoy married life.

Your cousin (the girl in black?) = hottie. Yizzow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom