• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, is the Homestarrunner obsession over yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belfast

Just wondering, to be honest.

I haven't seen anything in awhile and nobody's talking about it.

Its one of those internet fads I came to hate pretty quickly, so I'm just wondering if anybody's put up the "all clear" sign yet or not.

Is it safe to say its dead, gone, and buried?

Will FHUTA be next?

This brings to question, I have never understood the geek obsession of disliking everything that becomes popular or reaches a cult status.

Anyways, I still enjoy Homestar from time to time, haven't visited much lately as I usually just don't remember to.

EDIT: Eh? This was not directed at Belfast, but rather Error Macro.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Its because people like this believe they are highly intelligent individuals, and material of this caliber is simply below them. They believe have better things to associate with. In order to satisfy their ego, they must put down those who like such things they dislike. It follows that if you're intelligent and use that as a basis for disliking something, those who do like it are below you in intelligence. You're better then they are.
At some point they get it into their head that other people give a fuck, and to be honest, a lot of people do. It goes to say that this type isn't the only other in the world, so the ego battles feed off each other and go on. You don't have humor, you don't have trait X, I'm better than you for Y, is really what it comes down to.

Edit: And Belfast, as I only know you through the internet, this could be a highly unlikely call on your entire character. I like you in general, so don't be offended by the statements too much.

Another edit: I've dug myself far to deep into a hole to salvage myself from any flamings short of deleting this post, but I'd like to add that when I saw Belfast, I was initially thinking of another member whose name begins with a "B" whose statements today sent me into a bit of a "damn you people" mood. Coupled with utter jet-lag, I may not be at my prime of intelligence at the moment. Suffering from my own argument as it may be.

Belfast

RevenantKioku said:
Its because people like this believe they are highly intelligent individuals, and material of this caliber is simply below them. They believe have better things to associate with. In order to satisfy their ego, they must put down those who like such things they dislike. It follows that if you're intelligent and use that as a basis for disliking something, those who do like it are below you in intelligence. You're better then they are.
At some point they get it into their head that other people give a fuck, and to be honest, a lot of people do. It goes to say that this type isn't the only other in the world, so the ego battles feed off each other and go on. You don't have humor, you don't have trait X, I'm better than you for Y, is really what it comes down to.

Edit: And Belfast, as I only know you through the internet, this could be a highly unlikely call on your entire character. I like you in general, so don't be offended by the statements too much.

Another edit: I've dug myself far to deep into a hole to salvage myself from any flamings short of deleting this post, but I'd like to add that when I saw Belfast, I was initially thinking of another member whose name begins with a "B" whose statements today sent me into a bit of a "damn you people" mood. Coupled with utter jet-lag, I may not be at my prime of intelligence at the moment. Suffering from my own argument as it may be.

Who, Belgurdo?

I've blasted many people on this forum for the same things. The simple difference is that I don't hate it because its popular, I never liked it in the first place. Its not something I had an affection for and then eschewed only when I started seeing it everywhere. Strongbad was mildly amusing at best to me, but the rest was just pretty annoying. And it got worse and worse when people started taking it offline. It turns into a situation where you can't simply avoid it by not going to the website. Some of the people I had to be around *every day* were running around wearing t-shirts and spouting HSR catchphrases for the ten millionth time. These were usually otherwise decent people, some friends even, so I wasn't going to stay away from them just because they liked something I disliked. So while, yes, I do hate it partially because it became popular, its not because its something that I felt "sold out," it was just the unchecked proliferation of a phenomena that annoyed me almost completely from the start.

Belfast

hey, sp0rsk, were you ever accosted by a glasses-wearing woman asking about anal sex?

I ask only because I was watching one of those crazy shows on late-night HBO (HBO2?) a couple days ago and there was this guy that looked a lot like you.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Belfast said:
hey, sp0rsk, were you ever accosted by a glasses-wearing woman asking about anal sex?

I ask only because I was watching one of those crazy shows on late-night HBO (HBO2?) a couple days ago and there was this guy that looked a lot like you.

i wish!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Belfast said:
Who, Belgurdo?

I've blasted many people on this forum for the same things. The simple difference is that I don't hate it because its popular, I never liked it in the first place. Its not something I had an affection for and then eschewed only when I started seeing it everywhere. Strongbad was mildly amusing at best to me, but the rest was just pretty annoying. And it got worse and worse when people started taking it offline. It turns into a situation where you can't simply avoid it by not going to the website. Some of the people I had to be around *every day* were running around wearing t-shirts and spouting HSR catchphrases for the ten millionth time. These were usually otherwise decent people, some friends even, so I wasn't going to stay away from them just because they liked something I disliked. So while, yes, I do hate it partially because it became popular, its not because its something that I felt "sold out," it was just the unchecked proliferation of a phenomena that annoyed me almost completely from the start.

Fair enough. In related news, I'm sure sp0rsk has taken it up the ass from women time and time again.

Homestar will never die here, the creators are FSU allumni.

I still check every Monday for new content. Decemberween in July was very funny, and Strong Bad is consistand. The stuff they did with They Might Be Giants was all very good. Cheat Commandos was brilliant, and lots of the site is improving.

In summation: No, it's only getting funnier.

Takuan

Hahaha. Just watched the Teen Girl Squad short, great stuff. I've always been partial to stupid/zany/simple humor. "TWO'D!"

And I can't wait for Peasant Quest.

Matlock

Banned
sp0rsk said:
you got it backwards!

.niaga emit dna emit nemow morf ssa eht pu ti nekat sah ksr0ps erus m'I ,swen detaler nI .hguone raiF

???

belfast said:
Will FHUTA be next?

God, I hope so. When it jumps the shark, that just means it's actually caught on that well. And I shall be a happy man for helping to pioneer something so annoying it goes all around.

belgurdo

Banned
How'd I get into this topic?

on topic...the only HR I've ever seen is the one where they're dumping on DBZ, and it worked for me at the least

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Matlock said:
.niaga emit dna emit nemow morf ssa eht pu ti nekat sah ksr0ps erus m'I ,swen detaler nI .hguone raiF

???

God, I hope so. When it jumps the shark, that just means it's actually caught on that well. And I shall be a happy man for helping to pioneer something so annoying it goes all around.

Tricky bastard, how did you know i cant read backwards?!?!?!

Homestarrunner.com > anything any of us will ever wish or dream to accomplish in our lives

I still check every Monday and it's still consistently funny. I can't wait for the DVD they've been talking about to come out. But seriously, "SAILING MISHAP'D!", who couldn't love that?

Kefkaff

Banned
Error Macro said:
I started to hate it like a year ago, when all the non-leet, casual internet users were raving about it.

Yea, I showed it to my friends... it was all over.

I think my first thought of hatred started when one of my friends started singing THE FUCKING TROGDOR SONG IN THE MIDDLE OF A FUCKING MCDONALD'S.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Hitokage said:
My sister tells me Homestar Runner is huge among mormon teens, at least those that go to the "EFY" camp.
Yeah, I know a mormon that loves this shit. I personally can't stand it. "Gratingly annoying" would be a good way to describe the entire site.

FightyF

Banned
I remember when I was anticipating the 8th or so weekly update...I haven't checked it out for a long time...it's been a couple of years!

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
I'm a perma-fan since they actually answered my email (I had a better chance than the majority of people who try. When they came to FSU to do their presentation, they had a box where people could put an index card 'email' for them to select one. It ended up being mine.)

Belfast

toohectic said:
The commentary on that is great. Click "Directed by Strong Sad and The Cheat" at the very beginning to access it. For all of you that don't like Homestar Runner, you obviously don't know comedy.

If by comedy you mean "repeating the same joke over and over again" then, yeah, I guess I don't know comedy. Then again 75% of this forum STILL likes FHUTA. :p

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
I think you (the reader) have changed more than homestarrunner does.

Personally I love every byte of homestarrunner.com, from the index pages to the answering machine and everything in between.

I have noticed, though, that I don't read onion.com the way I religiously did back in college. Maybe I'm just maturing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom