• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what is really going on in Chicago, gaf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azerare

Is it easy to navigate? Might be worth a separate thread, but I don't know much about what's worth checking out.
The only way you wind up In a bad neighborhood is if you deliberately go to one. There are a ton of signs you pick up that give you the idea to avoid those areas when you get closer. That and you can just Google past chicago threads and see neighborhoods mentioned to avoid.

E92 M3

q4agXCf.jpg

Patriots7

745 and it isn't even the end of the year.

Number of homicides in Canada from 2011 - 2015

Population of Chicago ~2.8 million
Population of Canada ~33 million

Blows my mind.
While I'm sure this year is going to noticeably increase it, the murder rate per capita doesn't even have Chicago in the top 3 for 2015.

As someone who's lived here for years, I can honestly say I have never felt unsafe in Chicago. I hear more about the murders from GAF than I do of any of my colleagues/friends. If you visit Chicago, you're not (for any reason I can think of) going to end up in any of the areas heavily concentrated with gun violence.

zeelman

Unfortunately, this is a bit of an oversimplification. Poverty, segregation, poor education, and a lack of opportunities fostered the conditions that sparked the cycle[/url]

Its not oversimplifying it at all. The four things you mentioned are all linked together, especially education since most school funding in Illinois is provided by property taxes.

Gang issues. Issues that could get solved with meaningful poverty reform, civil rights legislation, police reform, an upending of the public school system in American inner-cities, etc.

Neither side really wants to touch it. Bernie gave it lip service, and Clinton's legacy rests in super predator land. Last person who took a good look at these issues, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., got assassinated when he tried launching a wealth redistribution campaign.

100% all this stuff .... but also have to be honest that there are a lot ot bad people out there that would be doing heinous shit no matter what.

While I'm sure this year is going to noticeably increase it, the murder rate per capita doesn't even have Chicago in the top 3 for 2015.

As someone who's lived here for years, I can honestly say I have never felt unsafe in Chicago. I hear more about the murders from GAF than I do of any of my colleagues/friends. If you visit Chicago, you're not (for any reason I can think of) going to end up in any of the areas heavily concentrated with gun violence.

Still sounds crazy if you ask me, "My city is safe, just avoid the warzones!".

I don't know. The perception of Chicago has always bothered me. It's definitely earned it, but I feel like people rarely ever contextualize the issue and just paint it as an unsolvable problem, which leads people on the outside and inside giving up on the city and the people afflicted. It's a small part of the issue, but I've always felt the narrative that you'll get shot anywhere in the city is the kind of mindset that leads to a "why bother" attitude.

Again, that isn't to say crime isn't a problem. It is. It's just that, outside of NeoGAF, when I tell people about Chicago's issues, they rarely ever want to listen to a sit-down conversation in favor of plastering it as a consistent warzone (I'm not saying people here are doing that, by the way).

I don't know how to explain this, but I feel like topics like this are such a great start and I wish more conversations would contain factual information and highlighting the biggest areas of cause. But Chicago's problems are lumped into an unrecognizable mess and thrown in the trash because "lol it'll always be like that".

I love my city, and there's some good in all this filth. I just wish people would be willing to really hash out the biggest issues instead of glazing over them.

Hopefully it doesn't sound like I'm deterring the conversation away from Chicago's problems or trying to soften the blow, because I love the honest discussion going on here. Just adding another tangent on things.

outsida

Its the teenage gang kids talking shit to each other on facebook and twitter. No joke.

Thier neighborhoods are small and everyone knows everyone but they have to retaliate to some fool dissin them online or theyre a bitch.

Its mostly this.
The same thing was happening in the 70's, 80's and 90's though...

jjasso21

It's sad definitely. I only ever lived in the W/NW area of Chicago, but on the news everyday, you hear about Minorities in the South Side killing each other. On the other hand, you will most likely never have to visit those areas if you are a tourist. Just stick to Downtown Chicago and the North Side where all of the attractions are at.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
Its not oversimplifying it at all. The four things you mentioned are all linked together, especially education since most school funding in Illinois is provided by property taxes.

My point was that the conditions that caused the situation aren't the same as those that sustain it. I definitely agree that education and job opportunities have to be present for these communities, but the violence in these neighborhoods is sustained by social conditioning that's created a new, distinct humanitarian crisis that may require a different set of solutions. The initial causes have to be tackled as well, and would be a massive humanitarian crisis unto themselves even without the accompanying violence.

Blueingreen

gang violence

but the charts still write the 70's-90's as the craziest years for homicides in Chicago

Someone needs to take charge to put a curb on the violence, whether it be the police, the mayors, the businessmen, etc.

There is this old documentary on YouTube about the now demolished Robert Taylor housing projects, it's astounding how a first world nation can contain such third world living standards in the inner city, truly tragic.

Rival

Gold Member
For the average person living in or visiting Chicago there's nothing to worry about. Many areas of the city are remarkably safe for a city that size. The problem is the poor areas where the gangs are located. These areas are basically forgotten along with the citizens residing in them. A lot of kids growing up on these areas have no choice but to fall in with a gang. The schools are shit, the people are poor, they don't report crime for fear of retaliation, the adults do not have access to good jobs (frequently due to past criminal charges) many kids have no parents because they are either locked up for drug charges, dead, or nowhere to be found. It's really a terrible situation and no one really truly seems to care about changing it. Probably because it's too hard.

I lived in Chicago for 10 years and still work in the city.

TheJLC

The same thing was happening in the 70's, 80's and 90's though...
The way they are doing it now? If you see the twitter accounts they are laughing and posting the pictures of dead bodies of their rivals. Like "you like talking shit like your little bro (pic of dead 16 year old with gunshot wounds lying on the middle of the street taken by killer)" and stuff of that nature.

RedSwirl

There was some kind of marked uptick starting a few years ago right? When they started actually coining the term "Chiraq." Since then I've always wondered about why or what caused that uptick, but the news has never tried to get to the heart of it. I've been wondering if maybe there was a big gang shake-up at some point.

I think Vice did a piece on Chicago violence a few years ago and hinted at some events that may have had a big effect in the trends.

When they split drug and gang infested Cabrini Green housing project up, the people were given vouchers to live only on the west side and southside, mainly, so that oversaturated already struggling neighborhoods with more drug violence.

People hate this, but not enough accountability by parents in these neighborhoods.

Yeah I think it was something like this. A lot of projects or schools got split up or reshuffled or something which messed up the social landscape and messed up a lot of kids' access to public schools. I don't know the specifics though.

outsida

The way they are doing it now? If you see the twitter accounts they are laughing and posting the pictures of dead bodies of their rivals. Like "you like talking shit like your little bro (pic of dead 16 year old with gunshot wounds lying on the middle of the street taken by killer)" and stuff of that nature.

I specifically meant the same killings where happening in the decades prior not the same exact way of showin of disrespect. But in previous years the way to show the disrespect was to spray paint it on a building wall or garage. So nothing is really new under the sun. The form in which it reveals itself has just evolved with the times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom