• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So which one do YOU think is going to sell more, GTA:SA or Halo 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Halo 2 has been hyped since even before it was announced to be in development and it is guaranteed that almost every Xbox owner is going to have this game in their library when all things are said and done.

GTA:SA has only been announced this year, but it's already looking to be one of the most, or the most popular title this. Being released alongside the new PS2 (which you know will sell like hotcakes) doesn't hurt either.

Buggy Loop

GTA SA, i think the leak will hurt halo 2, not because its pirated but because word of mouth right now is that its not living up to the hype, which is not really surprising, halo fans created way too much hype for halo 2, bungie should of've stepped in and clear things up, it didnt help either that they kept saying things like "what you see now is nothing compared to what we're not showing", making all of teamxbox jizz their pants. Its better than halo of course according to impressions, just not living up to the hype, its been called halo 1.5 in many forums. I think it could cost it the GOTY if the media feels the same.

GTA SA has been the sleeper in terms of hype, rockstar waited a damn long time before revealing anything, and now HYPE is building, but solely based on what rockstar has allowed us to see, not the "what you cant see will be much much better" type of mentality.

8bit

Knows the Score
Didn't we already have this thread?
Even if every Xbox owner buys 2 copies of Halo, I don't see it approaching GTA's sales. I just don't think it has the same broad appeal.

Mrbob

I like this:

cubersloose.jpg

COCKLES

being watched
Depends if Vice City put people off GTA:SA. I adored, worshipped at the altar of GTA3, but Vice City just left me cold. Played it on PS2 got to 25% got bored.....got to same point on Xbox version and gave up. I can't help thinking with GTA games they're trying to pack to much in...SIMS like micromanagement when what players want to do is get straight to the gaming.

Only complain I've heard about Halo 2 thus far is that Bungie have screwed up the music...none of the music cues from Halo 1 are in the game at the expense of twangy rock guitars.

Prine

Banned
GTA SA This year.

But Halo 2 will have longer legs, so i dont know overall which one will sell better.

From the impressions ive read, Halo 2 is spectacular, one of the best gaming experiences ever. And thats without the online multiplayer :eek:

The french guys are going crazy over it

Insertia

Why do you even need to ask?

Vice City outsold the original Halo's total within two months. Grand Theft Auto is simply the bigger series.

Mrbob

Insertia said:
Why do you even need to ask?

Vice City outsold the original Halo's total within three months. Grand Theft Auto is simply the bigger series.

Is it? The percentages say Halo is a much bigger draw than GTA. PS2 hardware sales, sans the last couple shortage months, soared with a GTA or non GTA game. Halo continues to sell at a bigger clip month over month than GTA3 or Vice City. On a much smaller userbase nonetheless.

We shall see. :D

evil ways

I see GTA San Andreas selling more by about 1.5-2 million more copies.

Both console's userbases have grown since the last installments of both franchises but the PS2 has a larger one, and GTA has a broader appeal and coverage that goes beyond the video game realm and that's gonna be more evident with the soundtrack and when the news start talking about the gam'es violent content.

GTA has the controversy and cool edge in it's pocket.

davis

I've seen much more special deals and offers for Halo2 preorders, $40 for the it shipped some places, I think thats been helping it alot already. I still don't think it it will pass GTASA unless that series starts to flop like the Splinter Cell series. Also GTA has alot of titles to compete with on ps2 since the big guns for that systems are coming out close, while Halo 2 is almost all alone to shine on the box. Then again that never stopped GTA3 /VC from getting its crazy sales.

Insertia

Mrbob said:
Is it? Halo continues to sell at a bigger clip month over month than GTA3 or Vice City. On a much smaller userbase nonetheless.

We shall see. :D

Sad truth is, Halo doesn't have much to compete with in Xbox's library of game.

And yes, GTA is the bigger and more popular series.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I think people just buy new copies of Halo to see what new demos might be on it.

COCKLES said:
Depends if Vice City put people off GTA:SA. I adored, worshipped at the altar of GTA3, but Vice City just left me cold. Played it on PS2 got to 25% got bored.....got to same point on Xbox version and gave up. I can't help thinking with GTA games they're trying to pack to much in...SIMS like micromanagement when what players want to do is get straight to the gaming.

Only complain I've heard about Halo 2 thus far is that Bungie have screwed up the music...none of the music cues from Halo 1 are in the game at the expense of twangy rock guitars.

I agree on the GTA point, 3 was awesome, VC was not that good IMO. But GTA:SA seems to be what I wish was the followup to GTA3. Other than the eating/working out, everything elses I've heard on the game sounds great. Plus there's a 2 player mode, and the setting, heavy gang-land slant, and music from the early-to-mid 90's all appeal to me a whole shitload. Taking all these factors in, I think SA is going to be fantastic.

Buggy Loop said:
word of mouth right now is that its not living up to the hype, which is not really surprising, halo fans created way too much hype for halo 2

Prine said:
From the impressions ive read, Halo 2 is spectacular, one of the best gaming experiences ever. And thats without the online multiplayer :eek:

The french guys are going crazy over it

So which is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom