• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, will/does Nintendo need to improve their online offering to complement their new platform?

cormack12

Gold Member
So we all know Switch 2 is going to do big numbers and will have strong first party sales. But do they really need to up their online service now and ridiculous config like only one animal cross island per switch?

I can understand why they may veer away from voice comms but supported apps like Spotify would be good. We all know about Shop and it's shitness. Multiplayer modes for more games would be good. What about any social features. The miiverse pics were amazing

SweetTooth

Gold Member
Hell yeah! They have to move to the 2010s! Knowing Nintendo they will face some technological challenges and have some primitive solutions .. but their man kids will be happy anyways.

So no pressure there in Tokyo!

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I think they would be wise to have a built in modem adapter version and a WiFi only version or something.

They stand to gain a LOT of players with an easy way for kids to play Roblox, Minecraft, and Fortnite on switch and if it isn’t a miserable experience:

Sooner

This question has been asked for 20 years now.

The obvious answer is "yes, and they have a LONG way to go".

But, in reality, the answer is "well, apparently no one cares". Well, except every other generation when Nintendo's console is a complete failure, only to be followed by a massive success.

So we all know Switch 2 is going to do big numbers and will have strong first party sales. But do they really need to up their online service now and ridiculous config like only one animal cross island per switch?

I can understand why they may veer away from voice comms but supported apps like Spotify would be good. We all know about Shop and it's shitness. Multiplayer modes for more games would be good. What about any social features. The miiverse pics were amazing
Would be nice. I'm gonna go off-topic and talk about Animal Crossing, first. I really wanted New Horizons to expand on the previous games and go bigger in scope. More open world with perhaps multiple towns in a larger setting where you'd have to travel to get from one to another. Shoot add vehicles for all i care. Plus add dangers while you explore outside of your towns.

Okay, I got what I wanted to say in haha. Back on topic I never had any issues before with one island as it used to be just me playing and I didn't have time for more than one. But now my daughter is playing on the switch and having the option for more than just one would be nice.

Yes. They do. There’s simply no question.

Will they? I think it’ll be minor and incremental and most of us will think it’s not good enough, but we’ll all buy the console anyway. Because purchasing decisions for Nintendo hardware doesn’t hinge on online functionality. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

kevboard

they need a party chat system on their console, which is free to use.

Nintendo Switch Online is the biggest joke at the moment. It's the only console online subscription I do not have

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I haven't had any issues with Nintendo's online platform. I never use chat and messaging functions on consoles. I use Discord and only chat and message with people I know. Nintendo's platform helps keep random creeps from creeping on kids. I appreciate the boundaries Nintendo has put in place.

BlackTron

Yes. They do. There’s simply no question.

Will they? I think it’ll be minor and incremental and most of us will think it’s not good enough, but we’ll all buy the console anyway. Because purchasing decisions for Nintendo hardware doesn’t hinge on online functionality. 🤷‍♂️

So...they don't?

Edit: too late lol. But yeah, if Nintendo does not need to do it to sell it or be successful with it, then no they don't really need to.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
A party voice chat would be welcomed but I'm mostly satisfied with the current offering considering the low price point that gives me access to some of the Virtual Console platforms as well as games like Tetris 99 and F-Zero 99 which I've probably played more than any other online game this generation.

AngelMuffin

Do they have to? No. The Swtich is about to become the best selling console of all time with a relatively primitive online offering.

Having said that, I do think the Switch 2 online ecosystem will be upgraded in some way, shape, or form, but nowhere near PC or console.

Last edited:
Their competition is a moldering corpse and a company that charges $780 for a console.

Nintendo's gonna give you friend codes and 2005 era netcode and you're gonna eat it up like a good little piggy.

lordrand11

Personally, I think so. Nintendo's been great for their pick up and play dynamic (hence one of the biggest selling points of the current console) but multiplayer has been kinda meh after a certain amount of matches and the social possibilities of the platform are reserved more for online forums than in-game or on console multiplayer experiences.

dmaul1114

Switch sold gangbusters for them and online gaming isn’t their main focus, so they have no reason to invest in improving the online features. End of the day their market is kids/families (thus wanting little chat/communication features), Nintendo diehards and core games buying it as a 2nd/3rd platform for their exclusives.

Sooner

I'll never understand why anyone wants trophies / achievements, it's something I've despised since it first appeared
I've never understood the people who "despise" or are triggered by them. Just don't care about them or worry about those who do like them.

Having and working on objectives is a big part of what sets gaming apart from other, more passive, entertainment mediums. Trophies are a natural extension of that.

Neff

Networking features should be on par with current consoles. Ditch the stupid phone app thing.

I mean if it's going to be powerful enough to host lower spec versions of modern games as hinted at, then at the minimum they need to integrate messaging, matchmaking and group chat. Lock it out of the box to protect the kiddies if you need to, but it absolutely needs to be there if Switch 2 aspires to being a legitimate multiplat option.

Only thing I want is to be able to shit talk.

Yeah, sometimes you can tell that guy you just spiked offstage on Smash is itching to send you a hate dm but they can't. Feels bad man.

Last edited:

JimboJones

Their competition is a moldering corpse and a company that charges $780 for a console.

Nintendo's gonna give you friend codes and 2005 era netcode and you're gonna eat it up like a good little piggy.
Honestly the way they have implemented friend codes on Switch is fine, works the same way as steam friend codes these days

Would like to see a better Nintendo app, maybe integrated store and messages.
Same with the console being able to have system level invites and communication would be nice.

Sharing screenshots and video directly to friends should be made easier. Kinda sucks we have to rely on Facebook and Twitter (which is gone now) for easy sharing.
Achievements I could take them or leave them.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I've never understood the people who "despise" or are triggered by them. Just don't care about them or worry about those who do like them.

Having and working on objectives is a big part of what sets gaming apart from other, more passive, entertainment mediums. Trophies are a natural extension of that.
as long as I can completely turn it off, no problem

Nothing is worse than seeing an achievement title pop up when taking actions in a game, totally ruins the sense of the game world standing alone, makes it feel like some condescending high five for no reason

Top Bottom