• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - The thread (bringing back the REAL!)

BeeDog

What's with the awful environmental lighting? The character seemingly starts to glow occasionally. :lol Some proper semi-dynamic lighting (like in most current games, but take Warhawk as an example) would do wonders.

Arnie

Framerate looks smooth.
Graphics look awesome.
Gameplay looks great.
Teabag dance looks fabulous.
Sold.

Edit: Hey if anyone has a spare key for the friend pre-ordering scheme i would really appreciate it. In the UK there is zero chance of me getting a beta key any other way.

Arnie

Ken Masters said:
how do you get into the beta? Just pre order and they will give you a key?
If you pre-order the game from Gamestop you get a code that is to be redeemed over the internet. Once the code is redeemed with your email address, an Beta code will be emailed to you which is then to be downloaded through the Ps store. If you get in, slip me a friend invite. Haha that was a nice try.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
J-Rzez said:
Very upsetting, especially to those hardcores that actually took pdays, vacation time, whatever to enjoy this beta day one.

:(

Oh well, hope whatever was the killer issue of it, they fix it. But if it was just because the mess up of the beta codes in Canada, that kinda sucks. Just release it day as planned, apologize to the Canadian fans, and keep it extended I say.

I just want me some SOCOM love, 4 days sooner as planned lol.
shafting a segment of your customers gets them pissed and boycotty

Crisis

Banned
Has anyone in the US actually gotten the Gamestop pre-order beta code emailed to them yet? I registered my team beta code and haven't gotten any kind of email from them. I know the beta got delayed and all but I'm not sure when they're supposed to be mailing them out.

mr stroke

Crisis said:
Has anyone in the US actually gotten the Gamestop pre-order beta code emailed to them yet? I registered my team beta code and haven't gotten any kind of email from them. I know the beta got delayed and all but I'm not sure when they're supposed to be mailing them out.

Nothing, I preorderd weeks ago and registerd through the site but still havent recived anything via e-mail :(
I asume they will be sent out the day before?

Smidget

I'm debating preordering this game in order for a chance to get into the beta as I've never played a single SOCOM title. What would gaffers say it's a mixture of? I get a kind of Counter-Strike/MGO feeling with it?

Also any news of any kind of demo? I guess I could always cancel a preorder if I don't like the beta...

dralla

Counter-Strike for consoles is the closest comparison I think (nothing like MGO, thank god). It moves like an arcade game but it's highly tactical. There's really nothing else like it on a console...I just hope they give us some non-urban maps like the old games. foxhunt 2 plz.

btkadams

Smidget said:
I'm debating preordering this game in order for a chance to get into the beta as I've never played a single SOCOM title. What would gaffers say it's a mixture of? I get a kind of Counter-Strike/MGO feeling with it?

Also any news of any kind of demo? I guess I could always cancel a preorder if I don't like the beta...
id say its right in between metal gear online and call of duty 4. thats just my opinion. its a tactical shooter but more fast paced than mgo i think.

PS: IM SO PUMPED FOR THIS GAAAMMMEE!!!! i never played the co op sequel to socom 3 but i really enjoyed the first 3 games. when does the qore public beta for canada start???

thuway

I got back from PAX and have hands on experience from the title. Aside from lag issues, the game looks and plays flawlessly. This was one of the biggest surprises of the show. I talked to the guy from Slant Six for almost half an hour. The gameplay is butter, and the customizations are extremely deep.

Oh and don't be concerned about graphics, it looks almost as good as COD4, if not as good. Yes, I said it.

thuway said:
I got back from PAX and have hands on experience from the title. Aside from lag issues, the game looks and plays flawlessly. This was one of the biggest surprises of the show. I talked to the guy from Slant Six for almost half an hour. The gameplay is butter, and the customizations are extremely deep.

Oh and don't be concerned about graphics, it looks almost as good as COD4, if not as good. Yes, I said it.

wut?

btkadams

thuway said:

am i the only one who didnt think cod4's graphics were better than average?

thuway

There is no 60 FPS butterness (this is Socom), however the overall detail in the environments is very up to snuff. You guys will be happy.

Greg

Smidget said:

If it's anything like S1/S2, the experience is quite dynamic (in terms of pace) regardless of the map or mode you're playing in... it's hard to draw comparisons to other games because there really is nothing like it on consoles. It's about as fluid as you can possibly get for a tactical shooter, so imagine MGO without the frustrations and add a dose of fun. It's a realistic universe, but with enough elements that remind you you're playing a game with the intention of being accessible and fun.

As for the demo, I'm guessing that with the public beta running so close to release, it's pretty much a stress test and the last chance we have to play it before release - just reserve the game and cancel after you've redeemed the code.

Greg

dreamer3kx said:
Are we forgetting this is built for DLC, looks awesome for DLC. If Im wrong please correct me.
I still think people are spoiled by Warhawk - they forget it was initially developed as a AAA full-priced title prior to the SP campaign being scrapped and turned into a MP-only PSN title.

None of that matters though - if Confrontation stays true to the S1/S2 formula, it won't be a hard sell once people get their hands on it because the series has never been a looker.

Kittonwy

Banned
thuway said:

They've got all the graphical features in now, it's looking good for sure, it looks like it plays well too, the basic stuff looks solid.

thuway

The Slant Six dev mentioned the guys are extremely proud of this game. I even got to talk to one of the Zipper guys. I talked extensively about how they felt about Slant Six handling Socom. The Zipper Dev assured me the Slant Six guys are huge fans and will do it justice. I was cynical of Confrontation, but now I have zero doubts. It will please fans.

One more thing, the audio in this game is AMAZING.

mr stroke

thuway said:
it looks almost as good as COD4, if not as good. Yes, I said it.

huge boner incoming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if this game is as good as what I am reading, what are your guys thoughts on this stealing away Warhawk players? Will Warhawk become abadon after this releases or does this game have its own audeince?

thuway

mr stroke said:

if this game is as good as what I am reading, what are your guys thoughts on this stealing away Warhawk players? Will Warhawk become abadon after this releases or does this game have its own audeince?
Two completely different types of games. Both will mantain their audiences.

thuway said:

DId you play S1 and S2. IF so do you think Socrack is back?

Kittonwy

Banned
mr stroke said:

Warhawk has its own arcadey audience.

thuway said:
The Slant Six dev mentioned the guys are extremely proud of this game. I even got to talk to one of the Zipper guys. I talked extensively about how they felt about Slant Six handling Socom. The Zipper Dev assured me the Slant Six guys are huge fans and will do it justice. I was cynical of Confrontation, but now I have zero doubts. It will please fans.

One more thing, the audio in this game is AMAZING.
Yes! Great impressions I can't wait to play it myself.

oops I meant to edit the post above sorry about that.

edit: Oh btw if anyone pre-ordered and got a beta key could you please share the beta code with me? Either PM me or message me on PSN. My psn name is CaliChronz

VaLiancY

btkadams said:
am i the only one who didnt think cod4's graphics were better than average?

No, they were great but not the graphical fidelity wall broken down brick by brick. It looked like CoD2 on my PC.

Back to SOCOM, I'm so going to steal my cousin's extra beta keys. :cool: I like the recoil in the videos I'm seeing, it means I can whore my MP5 like a champ again.

Smidget

More noob questions :)

I just preordered from Gamestop.com in order to get into the beta on Friday, will we just be emailed to us? :)

Smidget said:
More noob questions :)

I just preordered from Gamestop.com in order to get into the beta on Friday, will we just be emailed to us? :)

Yes, I'm pretty sure it will be. I haven't received the email yet, though. But I pre-ordered at the store.

looks fuckin good can't wait till friday.. I don't know how many hours i've logged in the socom series it's just crazy. For me this is my MMO

PuMa

So has anyone who pre-ordered through gamestop.com actually received the email with their beta key yet? I'm still waiting... :-( Hopefully it comes before this friday.

Top Bottom