• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - The thread (bringing back the REAL!)

Kyoufu

The Faceless Master said:
so a friend was telling me that there is indeed a custom config, i just missed it because i am blind and didn't look at the *whole* controller config screen... and i say to myself, cool, i'll go try it out again with a custom config that's more to my liking...

what fucking asshole on the dev team thought it would be cool to be able to swap JUST ABOUT EVERY ITEM ON THE CONFIG EXCEPT SHOOT!!!?!?!?

ok, i guess technically, you can swap shoot between R1 ans TRIANGLE.. BUT THAT'S IT, WHAT THE FUCK!?!?

i hope they change that in the final, or i'll just buy the headset bundle and trade the game in.

oh, and you can't change X (Action) either?

R1 is the shoot button for all PS3 shooters, get used to it.

Kyoufu said:
R1 is the shoot button for all PS3 shooters, get used to it.
gee, somehow i shoot with R2 in Resistance and Unreal Tournament 3.

maybe you shouldn't get used to mediocrity, and realize that they can easily fix this, especially considering they already have an almost full controller config.

JB1981 said:
You're weird. :D
nah, what's weird is shooting with R1.

mr stroke

Doel said:
5. The game is meant to be played with respawns off, and best of 10 rounds. But respawn is a good way to learn the controls and practice shooting with a variety of weapons.

+1
game is so much better with Respawns off, its a different game because people dont run around shooting, it becomes much more tactacle.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
To everyone who doesn't have a key:

I just found a way to join the open beta for people who doesn't have a key ^^ Or did someone else already told this??

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
US Central 6, Room IGN if anyone's interested.

Respawns off, and I'm lovin' it.

Dancing on bodies = so awesome.

Kingsora

Well actually it works very logical, a beta is the same as a PSN game. And you all know that PSN games can be shared.

So, just use an account of someone who has a beta key to download the SOCOM Beta. The SOCOM Beta is standing between his download history.

Once you finished downloading you can play the SOCOM Beta on your account as long as the account of the guy with the beta is still standing on your PS3. (When you delete his account the SOCOM beta won't work on your PS3)

It works perfectly, I tried it with a friend and a half hour ago we were playing together ^^

So everyone who has a PS3 can thank me now for my great idea :D

industrian

Godamn disconnect/failed to join game bug strikes back. I was enjoying that game.

JB1981 said:
Whoring out the RPG = notsoawesome :(

I guess it's the new Three Frags or Martyrdom. ;p

Whilst we're talking about RPGs though: a big thank you to everyone who uses the laser sight - it tells me when to fire.

Xater

Kingsora said:
Well actually it works very logical, a beta is the same as a PSN game. And you all know that PSN games can be shared.

So, just use an account of someone who has a beta key to download the SOCOM Beta. The SOCOM Beta is standing between his download history.

Once you finished downloading you can play the SOCOM Beta on your account as long as the account of the guy with the beta is still standing on your PS3. (When you delete his account the SOCOM beta won't work on your PS3)

It works perfectly, I tried it with a friend and a half hour ago we were playing together ^^

So everyone who has a PS3 can thank me now for my great idea :D

That's not really an easy solution....

Kingsora

Xater said:
That's not really an easy solution....
Yes it is, after 1minute your download starts, you only have to convince someone to help you out, I already did it for 2people ^^

@yella: sept 12

Baha

Kingsora said:
To everyone who doesn't have a key:

I just found a way to join the open beta for people who doesn't have a key ^^ Or did someone else already told this??

I'm all ears, send me a PM.

[edit] nvm, if I had a friend with the beta, I would've gotten a code instead.

The Faceless Master said:
gee, somehow i shoot with R2 in Resistance and Unreal Tournament 3.

maybe you shouldn't get used to mediocrity, and realize that they can easily fix this, especially considering they already have an almost full controller config.

nah, what's weird is shooting with R1.
You don't need any precision to shoot so R1 is closer, easier to press and more appropriate. Not weird at all.

Cartman86

Banned
industrian said:
Godamn disconnect/failed to join game bug strikes back. I was enjoying that game.

I guess it's the new Three Frags or Martyrdom. ;p

Whilst we're talking about RPGs though: a big thank you to everyone who uses the laser sight - it tells me when to fire.

It doesn't bother me too much when you have one life. Socom 2 had the noob tube as well, and I learned to just take things slow. It's more fun that way anyways. The only place its annoying is in respawn. And even then you respawn right away so it all works out in the end.

dralla

8 minute rounds on the official servers :[ wtf, way too long

anyway, STG is crazy customizable, I think 5 slots, too bad I can't get into a game to try it out

industrian

If anyone wants to add me to their friends list btw, it's industrian.

JB1981 said:
anybody want to get a game going tonight? In say 30 minutes?

I'm up for it. I was going to play some Condemned 2 as I just got it, but the ugly half-assed excuse for an XMB icon/picture put me off.

JB1981

industrian said:
If anyone wants to add me to their friends list btw, it's industrian.

I'm up for it. I was going to play some Condemned 2 as I just got it, but the ugly half-assed excuse for an XMB icon/picture put me off.

You want to create a room?

industrian

JB1981 said:
i don't know my connection speed ain't that great either

I've only got 256k upload, so I'll try a 8v8 game on Crossroads small and go from there. If it lags then someone else can host. Somehow I feel that it will.

My friend is desperate to get a beta code, he's willing to pay $2 via Paypal if anybody is interested. I got lucky and received the code from someone but I don't think I'll get lucky again. Just pm me, if you are interested.

cameltoe

you guys know you can change the controls to whatever you want? I see a lot of...." ugh the controls suck, blah blah blah...R1 to shoot!!"

Facism

DunpealD said:
Does anyone have a code for me?

I can only play after the 14th though, the EU MGO Finals are waiting.

Heh yeh i should have said that when i was begging for a code earlier.

Kyoufu

LOL I got stuck under some rubble when I was hiding at the wall facing the Commandos spawn. The wall got blown and all the rubble came crashing on to me. Nothing could kill me lol.

JB1981

Good games, guys. I really feel this is a great tactical shooter - maybe the best online shooter available on the PS3.

I think there is a slight issue with hit detection... tho ... sometimes my reticule is right over a dude's and nothing registers.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Kyoufu said:
LOL I got stuck under some rubble when I was hiding at the wall facing the Commandos spawn. The wall got blown and all the rubble came crashing on to me. Nothing could kill me lol.
I swear I tried C4, RPG, granades, I'm on to your tricks :O

GGs guys (im DirtyWater). Maybe next time you should use the smaller map tho, that was way too big for that many players.

JB1981 said:
Good games, guys. I really feel this is a great tactical shooter - maybe the best online shooter available on the PS3.

It definitely has the old SOCOM magic to it. If they patch up the rough spots I could easily see this taking my MP crown for the winter, even with R2 and Gears 2 dropping a little later.

And way to fuck my shit up JB, jesus I think you dropped me 11 times in a row at one point.

dralla

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
GGs guys (im DirtyWater). Maybe next time you should use the smaller map tho, that was way too big for that many players.

It definitely has the old SOCOM magic to it. If they patch up the rough spots I could easily see this taking my MP crown for the winter, even with R2 and Gears 2 dropping a little later.

And way to fuck my shit up JB, jesus I think you dropped me 11 times in a row at one point.

..brother!?

industrian

Man those games were fucking epic. Great teamplay and some RPGs go a long way. :D

Kyoufu said:

That's what you get for whoring the F90. :lol

Kyoufu

industrian said:
That's what you get for whoring the F90. :lol

F90 is amazing :lol

Had a monster kill streak going there even when our team was getting owned by yours :)

I think for the Commandos, there is a similar weapon, the 3rd Machine Gun I believe.

industrian

Kyoufu said:
F90 is amazing :lol

Had a monster kill streak going there even when our team was getting owned by yours :)

I think for the Commandos, there is a similar weapon, the 3rd Machine Gun I believe.

Our team had quite a discussion on the F90 and how overpowered it was for a SMG. No bitching or whining, but it was funny. :D And yeah, you were dominating for a while - everytime I killed you I died in return.

I'd go on about how awesome my M4 w/ ACOG and Grip is, but RPGs are a lot more fun. :lol

JB1981 said:

At this point in time it's a definite day one for me. To think a few days before the beta I thought that the game looked mediocre, Slant 6 have completely surprised me with it. Everything just feels "right" for a tactical shooter.

---

Oh yeah, after most of you had gone - we were left with 5/6 guys against 2 and we ended up talking about rugby, shooting birds, and generally having a laugh because we couldn't find the 2 guys.

My experience with the SOCOM beta really gets across the (rather obvious) message that mics should be mandatory with these kind of games.

Top Bottom