• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - The thread (bringing back the REAL!)

DaFish

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
GGs. I was pretty rusty too Nos, was slow to the draw every match it seemed.

lol @ DaFish's lucha mask. How do you unlock that? :D

My Denis Rodman Hair... Just another glitch unfortunately. Good Games fo' sho. 1.30 is gonna be a much need patch for friends invites, can't wait.

AirBrian

DaFish said:
My Denis Rodman Hair... Just another glitch unfortunately. Good Games fo' sho. 1.30 is gonna be a much need patch for friends invites, can't wait.
Oh friend invites is in the next patch? Nice!

DaFish

AirBrian said:
Oh friend invites is in the next patch? Nice!

Among other stuff (Trophies)

"New Features

SOCOM Awards and PSN Trophies
DTS audio support
Add HUD and scoreboard opacity
Scoreboard invocation improvements (tap select for persistent scoreboard, hold for temporary)
Spectator mode HUD turns off after brief interval
Spectator camera look now respects user invert on/off setting
Spectator camera pan now consistent with in game camera
Add dive-to-prone
Add lean control to d-pad
Gear items stackable
Extend post-round period
Restrict RPGs and grenade launchers in ranked rooms
Increase prone movement speed
Adding support for lefty control configuration (analog stick functions swapped)
Increase frag grenade effectiveness
Prevent incorrect reload interruptions
Bug Fixes

Fix animation issue when prone rolling near certain objects.
Fix remaining issues with statistics gathering and display
Fix bugs related to equipping of C4 in breach mode
Fix occasional audio drop outs
Fix last remaining framerate hitch when other clients late join
Fix remaining stability issues
Fix hostages being affected by smoke
Of course there will also be many additional smaller fixes included in the patch. Please watch this spot for updates as the patch moves through development and into QA/verification/deployment.

We are also hard at work on an additional patch which will include the remaining community support features. The design and art teams are also making great progress on new content- based on some of the posts in the forums, many of you will be very happy with what is coming down the pipe.

Thanks again for your continuing support,"

Rorschach

Sorry about that, DaFish, I was away when you sent that message and just as I was messaging to see if you wanted to find a room, my interwebs went out. :lol

I hope they get all the clan stuff working. Right now they're pretty much useless. I made a French one just for the guns. :p

DaFish

Rorschach said:
Sorry about that, DaFish, I was away when you sent that message and just as I was messaging to see if you wanted to find a room, my interwebs went out. :lol

I hope they get all the clan stuff working. Right now they're pretty much useless. I made a French one just for the guns. :p

Its all good dude. What guns are you getting from the those French Commies? I really really want an that IW-80 (I think its the British), I don't even use that lame ass gun the the US Navy uses. Anyway good luck to the Tennessee Titans this week, my Panther better put at hurting on the Raiders or I'll be pissed all week :p

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
So terrorists don't get the M14 anymore?

I use the AK and the 552 but it's just not the same. It would be nice if it was the unlockable assault rifle.

Rorschach

DaFish said:
Its all good dude. What guns are you getting from the those French Commies? I really really want an that IW-80 (I think its the British), I don't even use that lame ass gun the the US Navy uses. Anyway good luck to the Tennessee Titans this week, my Panther better put at hurting on the Raiders or I'll be pissed all week :p
I wanted the Famas which is what the Frogs get. It's a bit hard to control at first, but when you get used to it, it's really unstoppable in 1v1 situations.

I'm not a Titans fan. That was a joke avatar. I'm actually a Raiders fan. >:|

Julius Pepper is gonna continue to have a field day because he's on Kwame Harris.

DaFish

Rorschach said:
I'm not a Titans fan. That was a joke avatar. I'm actually a Raiders fan. >:|

Julius Pepper is gonna continue to have a field day because he's on Kwame Harris.

lol, woah sorry... JP is the only Panther Jersey I own.

54 yards of passing offense is not going to cut it Delhomme! :(

to keep it SOCOM related: I hear that FAMAS is bad ass... I wouln't mind dropping all my stats if GAF wanted to rethink changing out Nationality. (IW-80 or FAMAS)

Rorschach

DaFish said:
lol, woah sorry... JP is the only Panther Jersey I own.

54 yards of passing offense is not going to cut it Delhomme! :(

to keep it SOCOM related: I hear that FAMAS is bad ass... I wouln't mind dropping all my stats if GAF wanted to rethink changing out Nationality. (IW-80 or FAMAS)
You don't drop stats. You only drop rank. I think they're probably going to reboot the stats when they fix everything, anyway.

Delhomme learned why you don't throw to Asomugha and just how bad DeAngello Hall really was. :p We were never going to be able to do anything with Kwame Harris on Peppers. :( When Tuiasosopo went in, it was pretty much game over.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Hello guys, this is my first post on the Socom thread... so please bare with me.

Yesterday i bought LBP ,R2 and the Socom Confrontation + Headset Bundle.
I havent opened Socom yet... my question is :
The game is already stable enough to play it ? Or i should wait until the next patch?
Does it have a tutorial ? (Im a Socom noob)
(Since i have a loooot to play with LBP and R2)

Thanks.

AirBrian

Fersis said:
Hello guys, this is my first post on the Socom thread... so please bare with me.

Yesterday i bought LBP ,R2 and the Socom Confrontation + Headset Bundle.
I havent opened Socom yet... my question is :
The game is already stable enough to play it ? Or i should wait until the next patch?
Does it have a tutorial ? (Im a Socom noob)
(Since i have a loooot to play with LBP and R2)

Thanks.
I picked up the bundle too for the headset and it's also my first SOCOM game. There is no tutorial, but it's pretty intuitive as long as you read the manual. The last patch has made the game a lot more stable and I've been having a blast with it.

DaFish

AirBrian said:
I picked up the bundle too for the headset and it's also my first SOCOM game. There is no tutorial, but it's pretty intuitive as long as you read the manual. The last patch has made the game a lot more stable and I've been having a blast with it.

Stable: YES

Tutorial: NO

Still Need Better Friend Options: YES

Fun as shit: HELLS YES

DaFish

Maggot9 said:
Just got this game this week. Can someone send me a GAF clan invite? I can't seem to search for any clans. PSN: Maggot9

I'll add ya...

But seriously, GAF clan needs to rethink about changing to a Nationality with the extra guns that are worth a damn : (

Rorschach

There's no real point to clans right now, anyway. Just make your own. :p

*caresses Famas*

We should all meet up one of these days. Perhaps on Saturday?

DaFish

Rorschach said:
There's no real point to clans right now, anyway. Just make your own. :p

*caresses Famas*

We should all meet up one of these days. Perhaps on Saturday?

Saturdays are good for me... So French is FAMAS right? Don't know which gun I want yet.

Nvm found the list:

US NAVY SEALS: SCAR-L (SCFR-LW)

FRENCH RPIMA: FAMAS G2

GERMAN KSK: GMP (HK UMP SUBMACHINE GUN)

BRITISH SAS: I W-80 A2 (I-DUB) (L85)

SPANISH UoE: CETME AMELI

K, made a clan for the IW-80 (SAS)

name is Def Squad [Def]

if anyone is interested in having that gun just holla at me.

Rorschach

TaKeRx said:
so is this game worth it? I'm thinking of buying it, but I haven't heard good things about it.
That depends... if you liked Socom 2, but wished it had a better netcode, then you might like it. If you got burned out on it already, then you might not. If you thought SOCOM 1 and 2 were crap, then you won't like it.

Right now, it's kind of incomplete. They've fixed most of the bugs, but they haven't patched in clan and friend list functionality. You can make a clan, but there's no real point since there are no clan matches and you can't jump into your clan's servers from a member list. It's pretty bare bones.

Also, the playlist on ranked servers can get a bit played out since it's very small. They only use like a third of all the possible configurations.

32 player matches on ranked servers are very good in terms of lag if everyone is relatively close, but you'll see people with bad connections or players of opposite coasts warp from time to time. 16 player matches are usually quite stable, in my experience, as well as 8 player matches.

DaFish said:
Saturdays are good for me... So French is FAMAS right? Don't know which gun I want yet.
Tempted to start some more just to see what the guns are like. :| They should at least let you set up servers where you can unlock them all to try them out. I stepped into a custom server the other day that had FAMAS locked out, but I don't think you can activate other guns.

I wonder what the confrontation rating is for. Mine is still high even though my clan ranking reset because I created a new clan.

TaKeRx

Rorschach said:
That depends... if you liked Socom 2, but wished it had a better netcode, then you might like it. If you got burned out on it already, then you might not. If you thought SOCOM 1 and 2 were crap, then you won't like it.

Right now, it's kind of incomplete. They've fixed most of the bugs, but they haven't patched in clan and friend list functionality. You can make a clan, but there's no real point since there are no clan matches and you can't jump into your clan's servers from a member list. It's pretty bare bones.

Also, the playlist on ranked servers can get a bit played out since it's very small. They only use like a third of all the possible configurations.

32 player matches on ranked servers are very good in terms of lag if everyone is relatively close, but you'll see people with bad connections or players of opposite coasts warp from time to time. 16 player matches are usually quite stable, in my experience, as well as 8 player matches.

Tempted to start some more just to see what the guns are like. :| They should at least let you set up servers where you can unlock them all to try them out. I stepped into a custom server the other day that had FAMAS locked out, but I don't think you can activate other guns.

I wonder what the confrontation rating is for. Mine is still high even though my clan ranking reset because I created a new clan.

Thanks, I bought it, just because of the Headset, lol.

alejob

Hello,

I wanted to provide a quick update to everyone in the community regarding the current status of the SOCOM: Confrontation 1.30 update.

We are almost finished with development on the update. The team at Slant Six Games are wrapping up all of the remaining features and fixes which will be included in the 1.30 update and expect to deliver a final candidate to SCEA First Party QA soon. Once SCEA First Party QA receives the final candidate they will need some time to play through the update and verify that there are no issues with it. This takes some time as there are a lot of new features and the trophies themselves take many days of play to acquire them all. SCEA First Party QA has been testing the 1.30 update throughout development but they need to perform a final pass on the master candidate to make sure nothing has been missed. Once SCEA First Party QA has finished with their final verification we will submit the patch to SCEA Format QA who must also test it and approve it for release. SCEA Format QA must approve all games and updates released on the PlayStation®3.

We will try to keep the community up to date as the SOCOM: Confrontation 1.30 update makes its way through the final release process.

As I'm sure many of you have noticed, we've released some new Ranked medley games this morning. Based on feedback from the community, we added 8x8 and 4x4 Demolition medley games. We also fixed the respawn medley games so that they are actually “respawn” games and lowered the round time from 8 minutes to 6 minutes. This is just the first round of changes we have planned for the medley games. We plan on updating them again soon to offer more variety in the default ranked medleys. If you have any feedback on specific medley changes you would like to see, post it in the forums.

Finally, I wanted to address some of the feedback we received from the Dev Q&A on Monday and specifically the Q&A regarding joining a friend’s game directly from the friends list. As mentioned, this is something that we are actively investigating and looking to see if it is possible to include in a future update. I can say that it will not make it into the 1.30 update but we are looking to see if we can make finding your friends’ games easier in 1.30. Adding the feature to join your friend’s game directly from your friends list to the 1.30 update would significantly delay the 1.30 update and we want to get the 1.30 update out ASAP as it really improves the game a lot. Some people took my answer to this question to mean that we will not implement the feature at all, which is simply not true.

Regards,

Seth Luisi
Director of Development
Sony Computer Entertainment America

I was expecting a patch at any moment but now it seems that they are adding everything to the 1.30 patch. Before I was under the impression that they were going to release another fix/patch before they released the trophies patch. Now everything is coming in 1.30.

Another couple of weeks I guess.

DaFish

alejob said:
I was expecting a patch at any moment but now it seems that they are adding everything to the 1.30 patch. Before I was under the impression that they were going to release another fix/patch before they released the trophies patch. Now everything is coming in 1.30.

Another couple of weeks I guess.

I say delay 1.30 in order to "join a friend’s game directly from the friends list"

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
DaFish said:
I say delay 1.30 in order to "join a friend’s game directly from the friends list"
Ok, so i will wait until the 1.30 is released .
I bought the headset to play R2 tough.

DaFish

Maggot9 said:
Still waiting on that invite..

Sorry, I left the GAF clan to make my own so I could have he IW-80, don't worry about clans ATM... nothing but tags right now not much support.

Sorry again. :/

lionelhutz

Is it necessary to join a clan? Are there enough people playing to find games solo? How does this compare to a game like Counter Strike?

Is it possible to play w/o the Six Axis controls? Can that be disabled?

DaFish

lionelhutz said:
Is it necessary to join a clan? Are there enough people playing to find games solo? How does this compare to a game like Counter Strike?

Is it possible to play w/o the Six Axis controls? Can that be disabled?

1) Not necessary to join clans ATM, plenty of people playing... plenty

2) Totally different than CS, only this that is the same might be the non-respawn matches (which are the best)

3) The sixaxis is used for: leaning around corners, ducking (has no use really) and changing grenade arch path. They are updating the lean around corners to the D-pad but guess we still need sixaxis for grenades :/

Havn't played in about a week thanks too Left 4 Dead...

lionelhutz

DaFish said:
1) Not necessary to join clans ATM, plenty of people playing... plenty

2) Totally different than CS, only this that is the same might be the non-respawn matches (which are the best)

3) The sixaxis is used for: leaning around corners, ducking (has no use really) and changing grenade arch path. They are updating the lean around corners to the D-pad but guess we still need sixaxis for grenades :/

Havn't played in about a week thanks too Left 4 Dead...

Thanks for the impressions. I only compared it to CS because of the way respawns work. I wouldn't expect a game like SoCom to let you run faster because you have a knife equipped. :lol I'm really leaning towards picking this up but some of the problems people have reported have kept my on the fence.

How are the graphics in the final version? I had the beta and my opinion of the graphics were that they would be very nice it they fixed up the odd glitch that appeared here and there. Oh and do you still slump to the ground like someone removed your skeleton when you die?

lionelhutz

Bearillusion said:
How are the graphics in the final version? I had the beta and my opinion of the graphics were that they would be very nice it they fixed up the odd glitch that appeared here and there. Oh and do you still slump to the ground like someone removed your skeleton when you die?

I just picked this up last night so I can give you some post patch impressions:

Graphics - not that good. I wasn't impressed. I don't think they're as good as GRAW 1/2 online. I expected a lot more. The blood looks bad and the textures are poor.

Lag - I didn't experience any. No player warping, bullet lag, etc. Gameplay was smooth.

Matchmaking - I don't like the Channel/Game system. Since I was new to the game I just wanted to find an unranked match. I didn't care the mode, player count, etc. This doesn't exist. I'm sure I'll get used to it but I'd like to be able to join ranked/unranked matches based on the type of game I want to play in my region.

Connecting to games - only had 1 problem but the room said 15/16 so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt that it filled up before I hit X. I did experience the problem of joining and having to respawn right away stay in spectator mode for a minute or two. I'm not sure if this is a glitch or how SoCom works when you first join.

Headset - very nice and voices were clear. It'll take some time to get used to pushing a button to talk but with all the controls I think they'll be easier the 2nd play through.

The only other thing I noticed is when I push triangle to crouch it doesn't always respond. Im going to try another controller and see if that was the issue. The game isn't nearly as bad as the initial reviews and I'm waiting for 1.30 to make it even better. My biggest challenge is becoming familiar w/ the controls and learning the map layouts. Once I do that I can see myself putting a lot of time into this game. The ranked/no respawn creates that sense of alertness I haven't had in a shooter since Counter Strike.

Maggot9

Banned
Bearillusion said:
I like the graphics. They're nothing amazing, but they're very clean and very serviceable for a Socom game.

lionelhutz

I've played a decent amount of matches since I got the game the other day and I'm finding it tough to see the enemy on the map. Is this normal for SoCom? Anyone have any tips?

Rorschach

lionelhutz said:
I've played a decent amount of matches since I got the game the other day and I'm finding it tough to see the enemy on the map. Is this normal for SoCom? Anyone have any tips?
Yes, that is common -- especially for new players. It takes some getting used to. If the guy has good cammo, it's hard to spot him from a distance if he's standing still (this is why I love overconfident guys with bright red armor :p). Always pay attention to the red lights on your screen. They tell you where the sounds are coming from.

After that, it's a matter of
A) knowledge of the map - knowing where guys like to hide or where they're going to be at a certain time into the map
B) watching for gun flashes
C) watching for movement

If you can get behind cover (cover the side the red lights are coming from), you can peek out and wait for him to out himself. What I like to do is shoot back even if I don't know the exact spot he's at to get him to second guess himself while I either find him or some good cover.

Oh, and always remember: if he doesn't have a name above his head, shoot him in the face! ;b

As for finding unranked servers, all the ones that aren't marked ranked are unranked. :p Most of them tend to be 60 kill respawn servers, though. They're good for familiarizing yourself with the guns, but bad for gaining strategical knowledge of how the maps work in "normal" game modes.

There's actually a way to filter servers. Not many people know because the game doesn't tell you directly and it's not very intuitive, but once you enter a channel, you can filter by what type of game you want to find.

Smokey

Hello SOCOM GAF, I just received this game from Gamefly.

The last Socom I played was S3.

Please add me to some of your FL. I really would rather play with people from GAF just like any other game.

PSN = dbswisha

icechai

i also just got this game (headset bundle at first to play other multiplayer games), but with the patches and stuff it sounds like i'll be getting into this as well ^_^

Top Bottom