• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soft Drink GAF |OT| Follow the liter

_hekk05

Banned
I remember drinking Coke Zero. It tasted like shitty chemicals from my chem lab. Smelled like some of them too.

I actually kinda miss vanilla coke. They don't sell that at most shops where I live.

Manzanita Sol

Another Taco Bell exclusive, this is an apple flavored soda that apparently has been around in Mexico for a while. The first sip gave me flashbacks to my childhood, when you could find Slice apple soda in any supermarket. Its nothing super special, but definitely a pleasant change of pace from typical colas and citrus sodas. 8/10, would drink again.

Uh

Manzanita Sol is not a fountain exclusive... It's been in 12 packs and stuff for YEARS in the US.

From Wiki

Manzanita Sol is a brand of apple-flavored beverages owned by PepsiCo and is predominant in Mexico. In the United States it is sold in 12-pack cans, 2-liter, and 20-ounce bottles. The drink is known to be available at Walmart, Albertsons, H-E-B, Ralphs, Kmart, Food 4 Less, Jewel-Osco, Dominick's, Target, Vons, Stater Bros., United Supermarkets in the Amarillo and Lubbock, Texas area, and other smaller chains and smaller family run stores. In Latin American countries, Manzanita Sol will compete with The Coca-Cola Company's Manzana Lift. Manzanita Sol is PepsiCo's number two brand in Mexico, with apple being Mexico's second most popular soft drink flavor. Also, it is very popular in the borderlands such as the El Paso/Juarez border.

In January 2014 Taco Bell added Manzanita Sol to their choice of beverages. [1]

"Manzanita Sol" is Spanish for "little apple sun".

Negator

If you guys ever get a chance, you NEED to try the Sunkist Strawberry and Cherry Limeaid flavors. Probably a bit too sweet for some but damn does it taste goddamn good.

And yeah, Manzanita Sol is super common, at least in my area.

CPH6dOd.jpg

GOAT

Ryuukan

Uh

Manzanita Sol is not a fountain exclusive... It's been in 12 packs and stuff for YEARS in the US.

If you guys ever get a chance, you NEED to try the Sunkist Strawberry and Cherry Limeaid flavors. Probably a bit too sweet for some but damn does it taste goddamn good.

And yeah, Manzanita Sol is super common, at least in my area.

sounds like it's hard to find outside of Texas :(

Sunkist cherry lime is also region locked. I tried it once from a walgreens in Vegas around midnight, was pretty good.

I think my favorite cherry lime soda ever was from way back in the day. Snapple used to have a line of sodas that were kinda pricey but when they would go on sale, I would grab like a dozen. Their cherry lime rickey was 10/10.

Ryuukan

just to encourage others that this thread is not limited to carbonated beverages alone

Brisk half iced tea half blueberry lemonade:

brisk-blueberry-lemonade-half-and-half.png

This was a 1 liter bottle which is kinda large for a grab and go drink imo. The taste wasn't that sweet compared to having brisk once or twice in the past (I don't really care for the brand, but I was interested in their take on the half & half fad). I checked the ingredients and as expected, there was a triforce of sweeteners at play, HFCS, Ace-K, and sucralose. This tasted like your typical fraud iced tea with that artificial blue raspberry flavoring added. That flavor combo did a decent job of covering up the Ace-K, which often leaves a bad aftertaste.
5/10, +2 if you bathe in blue jolly ranchers.

Narag

[12:33] <@Narag> aw fuck
[12:33] <@Narag> i was at the gas station and forgot to peruse their coolers
[12:33] <@Narag> i've failed sdgaf

This will be a good thread for someone that is going to Japan in a few weeks. Though I largely avoid sugar, so hopefully you're interested in reviews of Japanese diet soft drinks.

Not sure about diet softdrinks, but i hear they have alot of tea drinks, Ito En Oi Ocha is my fav, dont think there is sugar in there you can also get it in asian markets in the US, not sure about Canada.

Aprico

Neo Member
I tried the Solar Flare Mountain Dew today. It was good, but not great. Definitely not going to be one of my mains, but I wouldn't mind drinking it again.

Ryuukan

Real Sugar Wild Cherry Pepsi

This is something that has annoyed me ever since this flavor was launched. The cherry flavor in Cherry Coke is pretty subtle but it's there. Pepsi, you wanted to compete with this with a "Wild Cherry" moniker and be even less subtle than Cherry Coke? This real sugar version still has that barely there cherry flavor. 3/10, still mad after 20 years, will never forgive you.

Ryuukan

Fierce Green Apple Gatorade:

mrTAqmp.jpg

This is another 7-11 exclusive. I have to say its the most refreshing flavor of Gatorade I've ever had, second only to the legendary discontinued starfruit flavor. It's not too sweet like some of the other liquid candy flavors they've made, like strawberry or watermelon. 8/10, points off for not being widely available.

Ryuukan

I love my soda stream, it tastes a lot like soda from a fountain as opposed to a can, if that makes any sense.

Sodastream is pretty nice, its almost like "the patch" for soda. You can use it to ween yourself off from high sugar sodas by controlling the syrup level. A tip to save some cash, swap the CO2 canisters at bed bath and beyond and use those $5 off coupons they mail out every month.

Kazzy

you'll need to tell more about it with that kind of bold statement

One of the few soft drinks that I've drank that doesn't leave you with that inherent self-loathing afterwards. Seeing as the options are typically skewed in Japan towards all the imported beverages anyway - Match is like a yellow (and pink) beacon starting back at me.

It reaches the point of having a 'kick' without feeling overpowering - that's to say it doesn't feel blatantly unhealthy.

ZetaEpyon

Sodastream is pretty nice, its almost like "the patch" for soda. You can use it to ween yourself off from high sugar sodas by controlling the syrup level. A tip to save some cash, swap the CO2 canisters at bed bath and beyond and use those $5 off coupons they mail out every month.

Something I've wondered recently is how well a Sodastream could replicate basic flavored sparkling water such as this stuff:
KB_Em_Bottle_RASP_2.png

I drink a ton of Klarbrunn raspberry sparkling water at work (it's free, and surely better than downing cans of soda all day). However, I never buy the stuff for at home because it's invariably like $4.50 or more for a 12 pack of cans and I'm hesitant to pay that much for what's ultimately just water.

Ryuukan

Something I've wondered recently is how well a Sodastream could replicate basic flavored sparkling water such as this stuff:
KB_Em_Bottle_RASP_2.png

I drink a ton of Klarbrunn raspberry sparkling water at work (it's free, and surely better than downing cans of soda all day). However, I never buy the stuff for at home because it's invariably like $4.50 or more for a 12 pack of cans and I'm hesitant to pay that much for what's ultimately just water.

Sodastream sells their own unsweetened flavorings or you can buy whatever brand once you have the unit. They're usually much cheaper in stores than online directly.

712206b.jpg

One of my favorite Imported Sodas, If it wasn't $1-1.50 a can everywhere I saw I'd drink it more often. Plus the foil covers the lid so you don't get rat urine and other shit on your drinking surface

It's got a nice bite to it, a bit sweet, you could cut it with 15% water 85% soda and it'd prob. be more palatable to those who don't like a strong lemony moderately sour taste.

Ryuukan

712206b.jpg

One of my favorite Imported Sodas, If it wasn't $1-1.50 a can everywhere I saw I'd drink it more often. Plus the foil covers the lid so you don't get rat urine and other shit on your drinking surface

It's got a nice bite to it, a bit sweet, you could cut it with 15% water 85% soda and it'd prob. be more palatable to those who don't like a strong lemony moderately sour taste.

Costco sells them in cases. Either all blood orange or split lemon/regular orange.

(the lemon one is the worst imo)

The greatest soft drink in my opinion;

cheerwine.jpg

Every time I visit my Dad in North Carolina, I come back with about 8, 2 liter bottles, 10, 12 can fridge packs.

It has to be served ice ice ice cold otherwise it loses something.

Ryuukan

The greatest soft drink in my opinion;

cheerwine.jpg

Every time I visit my Dad in North Carolina, I come back with about 8, 2 liter bottles, 10, 12 can fridge packs.

It has to be served ice ice ice cold otherwise it loses something.

I had this once as a child. Cans used to be a rare drop from machines up north long ago. I wonder if I tried it now would it destroy the memory.

injurai

Banned
I'm all about the microbrew Ginger Ale's, Cream Sodas, and Root Beer.

But those asian fruit sodas are delicious as well.

As far as commercial, Dr. Pepper is where it's at.

Top Bottom