• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some great NPD news for Xbox

Xbox excites

According to the NPD, Microsoft's Xbox console performed well during August. It was the tenth consecutive month that Xbox grew its market share year-over-year. Specifically, market share from hardware unit sales increased by 13 percent—from 27 percent in August 2003 to 40 percent in August 2004. Meanwhile, during that same timeframe, the Xbox's main competitor, the Sony PlayStation 2 lost 15 share points—from 54 percent to 39 percent. The Nintendo GameCube during this time managed to pick up two points, increasing from 18 percent to 20 percent.

As for Xbox software, this August saw sales increase by 56 percent when compared to a year ago at the same time. Microsoft's big black box also maintained its industry-leading software attach rate of 7.2 (7.9 with bundled games). Therefore, Xbox has the highest cumulative attach rate of any console after more than two years in the market.

The competition's software sales increased as well, but by far less in comparison. The Nintendo GameCube saw a one percent increase in software sales, while the Sony PlayStation 2 improved by five percent.

AirBrian

sonycowboy said:
As for Xbox software, this August saw sales increase by 56 percent when compared to a year ago at the same time.
234597.jpg

Subitai

Well, that makes things look even better.

I'm surprised Xbox is doing relatively well with hardware considering all the big titles that came out for it aren't selling a lot. Also, MS has been doing relatively little advertising since Ninja Gaiden. FSW got some, but that was about it. I've seen a lot more GCN and GBA commercials.

I wonder if MS can get over 12 million in the US before the end of the year.

I wonder if PS2 will pass PS before the end of the year in US sales.

Odysseus

Banned
More stuff...

IGN Boards said:
With the latest NPD data, Xbox outsold PS2 for only the second time in the history of either console. While the reasons for each monthly "victory" can be attributed to an unchallenged price drop in April and an apparent PS2 shortage in August, what cannot be denied is the relative robust growth of the Xbox console this year, particularly when compared to the declining performances of the competition.

Through August (US Data), this is the year-over-year comparison over the same period:

Year ------ PS2 -------- XBX -------- GCN
2003 ---- 2941103 ---- 1227636 ---- 948089
2004 ---- 2381250 ---- 1789704 ---- 915858
Change --- (19.0%) ------ 45.8% ---- (3.4%)

With any luck, this type of growth may help spur game creation for Xbox and Xbox 2. Perhaps more Japanese developers will give the system a chance and therefore give the Xbox/Xbox 2 a wider variety of games for us to play.

Anyway, I was bored. Discuss if you wish.

http://boards.ign.com/Xbox_General_Board/b5076/67663939/?16

Subitai

Odysseus said:
Year ------ PS2 -------- XBX -------- GCN
2003 ---- 2941103 ---- 1227636 ---- 948089
2004 ---- 2381250 ---- 1789704 ---- 915858
Change --- (19.0%) ------ 45.8% ---- (3.4%)

Woah, XBX only 610k behind PS2 so far this year, and closer to PS2 than GCN. That's like the difference between Xbox and GCN in the good old days.

Joe

xbox had shortages in august too.

also i dont think a shortage changes hardware sales much. its not like someone came in for a ps2 was notified they are sold out and said "ok ill get an xbox." i just dont see it working like that.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Joe said:
xbox had shortages in august too.

also i dont think a shortage changes hardware sales much. its not like someone came in for a ps2 was notified they are sold out and said "ok ill get an xbox." i just dont see it working like that.

It really didn't at my store, which is why I was sort of shocked by the totals.

Odysseus

Banned
Subitai said:
Woah, XBX only 610k behind PS2 so far this year, and closer to PS2 than GCN. That's like the difference between Xbox and GCN in the good old days.

Yeah, it seems that GameCube's peak was last holiday season, and it looks like the peak for Xbox will be this holiday season. PS2's peak was holiday 2002, it was absolutely insane.

Odysseus said:
Yeah, it seems that GameCube's peak was last holiday season, and it looks like the peak for Xbox will be this holiday season. PS2's peak was holiday 2002, it was absolutely insane.

It'll be interesting. The peak shouldn't have come when the hardware was priced at $199, even with the way the PS2 shot out of the cannon. This should be the peak (to this point) for PS2 sales, now that we'll have a holiday @ 149.99 w/ a better software lineup than 2002. It will undoubtedly be Xbox's best holiday season. I just don't know about GC. The software just hasn't made it a compelling holiday purchase since launch, IMO.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
It'll be interesting. The peak shouldn't have come when the hardware was priced at $199, even with the way the PS2 shot out of the cannon. This should be the peak (to this point) for PS2 sales, now that we'll have a holiday @ 149.99 w/ a better software lineup than 2002.
Peak schmeak. PS2 has consistently shipped ~20Milion a year for 3 years in a row worldwide (the deviation is within 1-2 milion). It is true that Fiscal 2002 was highest, but I wouldn't talk about significant differences until it drops well below 20M again (which may very well be this year for all I know).
PS1 only held really close(or above) that 20M number for 2 years across its lifetime...

I still think PS2 has lots to go when it hits 100$ though... Plus I want my Sakura colored PSTwo dammit, so...!

sonycowboy said:
It'll be interesting. The peak shouldn't have come when the hardware was priced at $199, even with the way the PS2 shot out of the cannon. This should be the peak (to this point) for PS2 sales, now that we'll have a holiday @ 149.99 w/ a better software lineup than 2002. It will undoubtedly be Xbox's best holiday season. I just don't know about GC. The software just hasn't made it a compelling holiday purchase since launch, IMO.

PS2 hardware didn't seem a worthwhile investment since launch for me either. It seems like PS3 may be what Sony's doing right and I'll be on board.

Having both an Xbox and Cube has been great so far. I'm trying to limit myself to two consoles (and that's already a lot since I work full time and take 8 credits of science courses a semester). It's going to be hard to decide this next generation.

Odysseus

Banned
Fafalada said:
Peak schmeak. PS2 has consistently shipped ~20Milion a year for 3 years in a row worldwide (the deviation is within 1-2 milion). It is true that Fiscal 2002 was highest, but I wouldn't talk about significant differences until it drops well below 20M again (which may very well be this year for all I know).
PS1 only held really close(or above) that 20M number for 2 years across its lifetime...

I still think PS2 has lots to go when it hits 100$ though... Plus I want my Sakura colored PSTwo dammit, so...!

Internally, Sony expects the number of PS2s this year to slip to 14 million, a 30 percent drop from the previous fiscal year.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/04/27/news_6094655.html

Top Bottom