• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some more details about Gears of War (brutal, no open world)

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.gamefile.news/p/new-gears-of-war-game-will-be-somber
(Paywalled....)
Source: cReddit

Gears franchise director Nicole Fawcette reinforced that in a behind-closed-doors group interview I attended in LA on Sunday afternoon.

She shared what Gears development studio The Coalition says fans have communicated as the core elements of the series:
  • “The brutality of Gears”
  • “The sadness, kind of melancholy vibe”
  • “It wouldn’t be Gears if it wasn’t over the top, kind of an action spectacle”
  • “Never fight alone” – a vibe born from the series’ co-op modes
And what of the new game itself, a new adventure set in the city of Kalona?

8LO9fg6.jpeg

If anyone has access to post the rest of the debt, go for it.

Last edited:
No open world is great. I still think they need to reinvent the gameplay loop. Gears of War 3 with updated graphics isn't going to do it for a lot of gamers. This should be their GOW 2018, reboot of the franchise

Last edited:
I never really played a Gears of War in my gaming career. Maybe i will give this one a shot.

They are amazing games. Half the reason I got my 360 (mass effect being the other). I just got burnt out on them after the first 3 games. The formula never really changes so I just got kind of tired of it. Original trilogy has a great story though and the local coop is very fun.

Arachnid

The best parts of 5 were the linear set pieces. Glad that'll be the entire game. No one ever asked for open world Gears.

StueyDuck

Gears to me is set pieces so I'm not sure how I feel about the open world, especially after 5

Edit: Oh isn't open world. That's good, title caught me

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
Gears is such a simple formula. You can only fuck it up if you overthink it (4 and 5). MS should be dropping these no more than 3 years apart. Lean and mean.

mitch1971

Gold Member
Good, no open world. I'd even go as far as saying none of this 'linear but wide game areas' that ND championed in Uncharted 4. Felt that area really slowed down the pace of the game. Open world or linear. Pick a lane and stick with it.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

No open world = insta buy

i miss so much the cinematic corridors shooters of PS360 era, nowadays everything has to be a HUGE open world full of nothing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom