• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

luchadork

Sonic works like this. You have the ability to curl up in a ball (pressing down on the D-Pad/Analog Stick when moving), which builds up speed when going down inclines. You can also spin-dash (down + mashing jump) or drop-dash (jump + holding jump button down when in the air) to get a burst of speed.

thank you thank you thank you. starting to get into it now.

Dreyvas

Neo Member
It doesn't seem to be live on the NA eShop yet, but yes, you should be able to buy it digitally when it goes up.

Anyone know when that will be?

Edit: 3AM EDT, ugh

Got a
seven chain
on the boss in Chemical Plant Zone. Pack it the fuck up, nothing is topping that segment for me. I don't see how that's possible.

The shift from act 1 to act 2 was a big "Shit just got real" moment for me. That was fucking crazy all the way through.

200.gif

sonto340

Is there any way to buy the game online and have it download to my switch, or have they not implemented that yet?
It’s 200mb. It took exactly long enough to plug my switch dock into the hdmi port on my tv and dock it on my shitty 5mbps internet.

RK128

ok. awesome. thank you so much. i've never played a sonic game before. and theres no instructions. like i didnt know about the dash jump thing. so thank you a lot. appreciate it.

so i have to collect the 7 emeralds to win?

(sorry for the goof fellas. i never had a sega and was a nintendo fanboy so never knew anything beyond sonic and coins. and the game doesnt spell anything out for you beyond "every button jumps". like even from the beginning i had a choice of playing as sonic, sonic AND the squirrel, or sonic's gf(?). like who the hell are these two? do they play different?)

btw i'm playing this on switch. looks and sounds great. i just wish i knew what the hell was going on.

You don't have to get the Emeralds to beat the game...but there is a bonus boss and special forms for your characters if you collect them all.

Also, PM me if you need anymore advice. Always happy to help :). Glad you seemingly enjoying the game!

GenericUser

Went up at 3am here just to play a few zones lol. Game seems to deliver the goods so far. Level design (from what I've seen) is on par with the classic games. Music is great, bosses are great, special stage is fun.

Must purchase for every sonic fan and fans of 2d platformers. Can't wait to get home from work to plough through it.

batfax

Funfact: If you put your mouse right over where the "purchase digital" button SHOULD be on Sonic Mania's US eShop page while it's loading, you can click it. Then log in, and...

Error Code 904-1401

Unable to display page.

Just finished Chemical Plant 2. Guys. This game.

Got a couple medals (?) and a chaos emerald, yet THIS is the first trophy of the run. lolol

I need to stop now or I'm not getting any sleep tonight.

RK128

I played the first two zones and...damn. 2017 is an amazing year for platforming fans.

Chemical Plant Act 2's boss is just nuts XD! They really have a full Mean Bean Machine mode in the game! Was fun doing that and the track that played during that rocked.

The controls, the music, the level design...so good man. Just...so good! Happy it unlocked at 12AM on PS4 :).

Going to dive back in later and clear Studiopolis. Going to get those chaos emeralds....

moeman

It’s 200mb. It took exactly long enough to plug my switch dock into the hdmi port on my tv and dock it on my shitty 5mbps internet.

Lol fair enough. I just want to play it immediately when I get home! Come on Nintendo...make preloading a thing.

ryan13ts

Is it possible to replay levels like Sonic 3? I went back to the save select and noticed I couldn't go back to previous stages (I missed some chances for Chaos emearlds and I'm anal as fuck about that). I really hope it's not a straight playthrough with no chance to go back for emeralds if you miss them, that would suck.

Other than that, I love the fuck out of it

jobrro

Is it possible to replay levels like Sonic 3? I went back to the save select and noticed I couldn't go back to previous stages (I missed some chances for Chaos emearlds and I'm anal as fuck about that). I really hope it's only a straight playthrough with no chance to go back for emeralds if you miss them, that would suck.

Yep, at least after you clear the game.
Just press up or down when the save is selected and it will cycle through the zones.

Is it possible to replay levels like Sonic 3? I went back to the save select and noticed I couldn't go back to previous stages (I missed some chances for Chaos emearlds and I'm anal as fuck about that). I really hope it's not a straight playthrough with no chance to go back for emeralds if you miss them, that would suck.

In Sonic 3 you had to get to the credits on a given save slot to replay levels.

Neiteio

As a skeptic of 2D Sonic, I'm buying this 90% for the glorious pixel art and addictive music. But watching footage of Chemical Plant Zone Act 2 has me feeling the gameplay might click this time, too.

Top Bottom