• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
1233329182579.jpg

And then there's this one which is.. it's not really NSFW, but due to the weirdness it might be wise not to open it at work or school :lol

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d27/Stefansawad/1232604500707.jpg

Good GRIEF.

Scary.

Let's really not go into fan art territory, please. Not if we're going to do the same thing that happens in every thread it's brought up, with everyone quoting it just to say how ghastly or frightening it is.

Ripped from the game files. There's a similar instrumental version of Dreams of an Absolution with a simple lead synth in place of the vocals in the same place, so it's likely that they were placeholder tracks for use before the final vocals came in, like this version of Sonic Heroes and this one of Live and Learn. Off the top of my head there's also one for All Hail Shadow, but it's just the Magna-Fi original.

Sonic Riders also had a different version of the theme in the first version of the Production IG intro trailer ("Gonna show you" instead of "Gonna hit you," not as hard in spots, couple other differences), and Sonic Adventure's first version of "Open Your Heart" has a much thicker accent to the lyrics.

Okay everyone. I'd like to know in which order you place your most liked, to most disliked main Modern Sonic games. (Not including games before Sonic 2006)

Most > Least

Sonic Generations > Sonic 4 > Sonic Colors > Sonic Unleashed > Sonic 06 > Sonic & The Secret Rings

I've never played Sonic & The Black Knight.

Colours > Generations > DS trilogy > Unleashed = Sonic 4 > Secret Rings
Never played 2006 and Black Knight, took the liberty of throwing in the DS games since they are modern as well.

Colours double jump and wisps are fine by me, I much prefer having the double jump than the failed homing attack movement from sonic 4 and Generations, Wisps were great but generations went out of its way to change that.

Okay everyone. I'd like to know in which order you place your most liked, to most disliked main Modern Sonic games. (Not including games before Sonic 2006)

Most > Least

Sonic Generations > Sonic 4 > Sonic Colors > Sonic Unleashed > Sonic 06 > Sonic & The Secret Rings

In my attempt to find a way to use GiantBomb's list feature over a year ago, I did just this!

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/blazehedgehog/rated-the-essential-sonic-game-list/46-27893/

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

Most > Least

Out of those I played:

Sonic Generations >>>>> Sonic Unleashed SD >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Having a screwdriver jammed in the eye >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sonic 4 Ep. 1

qq more

I never had a problem with double jumping, aside from the fact it's kind of too short. So I agree with whoever said it's better than a failing homing attack.

Also what the fuck guys, the Wisp Powers* were awesome.

*Only in Colors.

TheOGB

Banned
Agreed. Maybe Colors' physics weren't optimal for what they were trying to achieve, but I liked it all the same.

Tizoc

In the Street Fighter II V anime, yeah. He works for Bison in that.

In the Live-Action film, I think he also worked for Bison, but I haven't seen it in a while.

True but in the majority of games he appaered in he was never a villain...just some Russian guy going around Pile driving stuff...especially bears, he loves pile driving bears.

Anyways, anyone read Sonic Universe #37? What're your thoughts of it?
IMO, Snively's an idiot, hope'll never join him and I'm willing to bet the Iron Queen'll betray him when he frees her, if ever.
...but hey Orbot and Cubot might start appearing more haha

Colors > Generations > Unleashed > DS games > Secret Rings > Sonic 4 > 06

Generations is pretty great, but it sort of falls apart during the latter portion of the game whereas Colors' quality is a lot more consistent the whole way through.

nns3d

Ripped from the game files. There's a similar instrumental version of Dreams of an Absolution with a simple lead synth in place of the vocals in the same place, so it's likely that they were placeholder tracks for use before the final vocals came in, like this version of Sonic Heroes and this one of Live and Learn. Off the top of my head there's also one for All Hail Shadow, but it's just the Magna-Fi original.

Sonic Riders also had a different version of the theme in the first version of the Production IG intro trailer ("Gonna show you" instead of "Gonna hit you," not as hard in spots, couple other differences), and Sonic Adventure's first version of "Open Your Heart" has a much thicker accent to the lyrics.

Thanks for clearing that up guys, I've never really delved deep into Sonic music as far as demos/1st takes go.

Shizzlee

Hmm, Sonic Colors > Sonic Generations > Rush > Sonic & the Secret Rings > Sonic Unleashed SD > Sonic Unleashed HD > Rush Adventure > Sonic 4 > Sonic 2006 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sonic & the Black Knight

Fuck Black Knight.

I haven't played either, but Black Knight is better than 06 just by way of being a functioning product. It's like, which is better, this coffee mug or these shattered pieces of a coffee mug? The answer is kinda objective.

Pietepiet

Any opinions on the Rivals games on PSP? They're discounted right now on PSN, so if either of them is good I'll pick it up.

Lijik

That doesn't answer my question. What's worse about the game?

Well it doesnt matter whats worse about the game, you hold forward on a control stick through empty areas the whole time so its going to be an amazing time regardless for you.

Kokonoe

Banned
Well it doesnt matter whats worse about the game, you hold forward on a control stick through empty areas the whole time so its going to be an amazing time regardless for you.

Do you not have an actual opinion? I'm interested in reading one as I've never played the game.

Shizzlee

I haven't played either, but Black Knight is better than 06 just by way of being a functioning product. It's like, which is better, this coffee mug or these shattered pieces of a coffee mug? The answer is kinda objective.

I understand this stance since Black Knight is not a broken piece of shit like Sonic 2006, but I at least had some type of fun with Sonic 2006. Black Knight is just some boring, depressing shit all the way through.

Don't you get actual controls in Black Knight? How is it worse than Secret Rings?

Uh, the controls in Black Knight were worse imo. Using the control stick the move Sonic left and right felt clumsy because he would take too long to move his ass. Sword swings and shield would fail to come out frequently.

Speed break was B then shake the remote when no enemies are around. Soul surge is the same thing but with enemies around. There was no way to differentiate between speed break and soul surge which sucked ass because speed break just runs through enemies and shit before you end up stopping dead to target an enemy that loads up. Why they didn't set speed break to a separate button so that you didn't have top stop and target an enemy I do not know. That would have made the game a bit less boring.

Kokonoe

Banned
Uh, the controls in Black Knight were worse imo. Using the control stick the move Sonic left and right felt clumsy because he would take too long to move his ass. Sword swings and shield would fail to come out frequently.

Speed break was B then shake the remote when no enemies are around. Soul surge is the same thing but with enemies around. There was no way to differentiate between speed break and soul surge which sucked ass because speed break just runs through enemies and shit before you end up stopping dead to target an enemy that loads up. Why they didn't set speed break to a separate button so that you didn't have top stop and target an enemy I do not know. That would have made the game a bit less boring.

That sounds like Secret Rings, just with an analog stick. How about the goals? Do they have missions like "Don't collect a single ring" or "Be perfect"?

Shizzlee

That sounds like Secret Rings, just with an analog stick.

Sort of, but worse.

How about the goals? Do they have missions like "Don't collect a single ring" or "Be perfect"?

Black Knight doesn't have rings (well, some secret missions do but the actual game does not). They have these yellow floaty things that act like rings. Levels have a Reach the Goal type mission. The other missions are usually stuff like "Rampage: Defeat a certain amount of enemies" or "Rescue the Townspeople" or something. Basically, this game is built around the sword combat, which is terrible because using the sword sucks.

Lijik

I dont know, your opinion of Secret Rings doesnt seem to be anything more than "Its on rails! Thats why its worse than 2006!" Its hard to take any inquiry as to why a game is bad seriously when the opening question is wondering how it can be worse since it has analog controls.

Black Knight doesn't have rings (well, some secret missions do but the actual game does not). They have these yellow floaty things that act like rings. Levels have a Reach the Goal type mission. The other missions are usually stuff like "Rampage: Defeat a certain amount of enemies" or "Rescue the Townspeople" or something. Basically, this game is built around the sword combat, which is terrible because using the sword sucks.

Dont forget the "Give gifts to townspeople!" missions where you have to awkwardly align yourself with NPCs and then do QTES to give them stuff.

Kokonoe

Banned
Guess i'm going to have to give BK, and SR another spin again after all.

I dont know, your opinion of Secret Rings doesnt seem to be anything more than "Its on rails! Thats why its worse than 2006!" Its hard to take any inquiry as to why a game is bad seriously when the opening question is wondering how it can be worse since it has analog controls.

I've stated my opinion of the game a few pages back. Although I didn't get real in-depth with it, but I stated more than what you're saying.

Shizzlee

Dont forget the "Give gifts to townspeople!" missions where you have to awkwardly align yourself with NPCs and then do QTES to give them stuff.

Oh yeah, fuck this shit. What's worse is that you can get ability to deposit rings just by touching an NPC, but you have to level Sonic up all the way first. That should have been like that from the start.

Sciz

Anyways, anyone read Sonic Universe #37? What're your thoughts of it?
IMO, Snively's an idiot, hope'll never join him and I'm willing to bet the Iron Queen'll betray him when he frees her, if ever.
...but hey Orbot and Cubot might start appearing more haha

Yeah, not sure why Snivley's banking on Hope helping him since the last time they met, she basically told him to go to hell. Can't tell how this arc is going to shake out yet.

More importantly, holy shit Nerbs.

Even more importantly, HOLY SHIT METAL KNUCKLES squeeeeeeee

Orbot and Cubot were alright. Ian doesn't seem to have their tone down quite as well as, say, Omega's.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
More importantly, holy shit Nerbs.

Even more importantly, HOLY SHIT METAL KNUCKLES squeeeeeeee
Why did I highlight this. Oh god noooooooo. Ah well, comic spoilers aren't as bad as game spoilers...

Um...

Colours (great cohesion, script, presentation, soundtrack, platforming)
> Generations (great presentation, soundtrack, great modern platforming)
>>>>>> Unleashed (HD/SD) (Um, I'm actually replaying/playing these at the moment, but there are parts of the SD version that I like more than the HD version, and vice versa; but I love the presentation and music; as I said in the GOTY 2008 (2012) thread, the werehog isn't necessarily bad, but its execution isn't very good, and it overstays its welcome very often; perhaps it's because I play RPGs a lot, but I don't mind levelling up skills)
> Secret Rings (soundtrack is good, I don't mind the RPG-like system in this game--but I do wish they didn't gimp Sonic so much, storybook theme is cute; at the time, I didn't dislike it at all)
>>>>> Sonic 4 (why is the art direction so bad, Sonic's animations are bad, lack of curling, bad synth samples, at least it's playable :|)
>>>>> Black Knight (soundtrack is good, storybook scenes are sometimes lulzy, the game is built around the sword--which sucks to use--as opposed to platforming or natural Sonic gameplay. They would've been better off making an ARPG as opposed to a platformer. In fact, that's probably what the storybook games should have been in the first place, to complement the M&L RPGs.)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> x 10^[(10^(100))] Sonic 2006 (This doesn't even need an explanation)

I won't include the DS games, but I think they're alright. The only Dimps-developed portable game I dislike a lot is Tales of the Tempest.

TheOGB

Banned
I have seen things

that cannot be unseen

Colors >= Generations >>> Unleashed >> Sonic 4 > Secret Rings >>>>>>>

1 year later...

>>>>>>>> 06 > Black Knight

EDIT: VV You are right

Loved their reaction to the rolling blocks.

Generations really is filled with malevolent entities that want Sonic dead for no real reason,.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
"Where the hell am I going?"

Yeah, that was my reaction when I first went through Seaside Hill. Everyone's voices go through many tones and octaves in this ep, lol.

Comic related spoiler tags will always contain actual spoilers.
I know... I couldn't help myself. -_-

Not really a big deal, though.

Pureauthor said:
Generations really is filled with malevolent entities that want Sonic dead for no real reason,.
Let's see... we have:
-Giant Robofish in GHZ
-Chemical water doesn't count, apparently, since it doesn't kill you immediately.
-Falling structures in Sky Sanctuary
-Cars and robots chasing you in Speed Highway
-That truck in City Escape
-Robo fish, Eggman's Delicious Spike Traps, and rolling blocks in Seaside Hill
-The tornadoes which carry cars and deliver that twist in Crisis City
-Robots and Airships in Rooftop Run. Edit: I totally forgot about those sawblades and guillotines. lol.
-Missiles and Sawblades in Planet Wisp

I recall reading a joke somewhere that the celebration occurring in Spagonia when you visit was about them bringing back the death penalty.

Would explain the guillotines...

Pietepiet

This is just how we roll in Europe. Guillotines all over the place. Seriously, I dread going to work every day because of this shit.

Kokonoe

Banned
I watched all of the Shadow The Hedgehog cutscenes and..
there are multiple cutscenes in which Shadow kills Dr. Eggman.. Oh. AND THIS IS WHO I AM!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
"You know what would go great in this archway, next to the potted flowers and sandstone brickwork? Giant swinging blades of murder. Yes, that's the touch it needs..."
"So that's why this city planner was cheap."
Ahahaha, I completely forgot about those.

Well, you know, part of the level's inspired by Europe. The urban planners had to add a French connection somewhere.

I watched all of the Shadow The Hedgehog cutscenes and..
there are multiple cutscenes in which Shadow kills Dr. Eggman.. Oh. AND THIS IS WHO I AM!
I laughed so hard when I saw that the first time. Are you being serious, game? Absolutely serious?

Shadow's Poochie's recycling to the EXTREME, I guess.

You Europeans have it easy. Over here in America, our highways have arbitrary loop-de-loops, corkscrews and sudden stops before skyscraper-tall drops in them. Not to mention, when I was driving to work this morning, I was being chased by a giant truck with sawblades on the front - sixth time this month!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom