• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I brought this up in the "character model thread", but does anyone know if there's ever been official word on Robotnik purposefully invoking the Red Scare Communism imagery?

Besides his name having Communist roots, I noticed that his color-scheme itself is basically the U.S.S.R flag and his whole modus operandi of taking away free will and turning everyone into mindless robots without individuality seems like the cartoonish view of Communism you usually see in anti-Communist rhetoric.
You know, I'd like to know the answer to this too. I don't think his design was necessarily intended to be that way. But it's certainly easy to draw comparisons and think it's supposed to be that way (especially given the name change and the contrasting colour schemes).

I almost want to say people are looking too much into it.

I don't think they've acknowledged that not all of us are posting/watching on a tablet.
Google no better than Microsoft: confirmed

Drat, drat drat drat!

Well I guess I have to bite the bullet...=(
I'll just warn you now: the game's an amusing diversion and all, but it's no S3&K, and the rest of the 32X library is... eh. It's a nifty set of hardware, and it'd have been neat to see what it could've done if it wasn't immediately obsoleted by the Saturn, but I wouldn't buy one.

I also wouldn't buy one because I can't use my S-Video out with the 32X, unless the 32X itself is S-Video modded, which has rarely been pulled off. No thanks.

Google no better than Microsoft: confirmed

I'll just warn you now: the game's an amusing diversion and all, but it's no S3&K, and the rest of the 32X library is... eh. It's a nifty set of hardware, and it'd have been neat to see what it could've done if it wasn't immediately obsoleted by the Saturn, but I wouldn't buy one.

I also wouldn't buy one because I can't use my S-Video out with the 32X, unless the 32X itself is S-Video modded, which has rarely been pulled off. No thanks.

We had a 32x as kids...I wonder if it's still at my parent's house...well guess it's time to go look!

40 bucks just for a 32x...that's some garbage sauce right there.

TheOGB

Banned
Random thought I had... I love the direction Sonic Team took with Colors, and I want more of that, but I don't want that to be the way the series moves forward. That mostly 2D, short bursts, score attack, power-up gameplay seems better suited for the 3DS or something.

How would you guys feel about a handheld Colors spinoff series?

WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO YOURSELF
You know what, I blame Game Grumps
along with some masochism and morbid curiosity on my end

I cannot even begin to wonder how many loading screens you had to endure.
27. I counted.

I actually only needed 5 more S Ranks.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You guys. I'm taking a small break from studying and... well... Sandopolis Zone Act 2 is stupid.

It's stoooooooopid. >:|

Random thought I had... I love the direction Sonic Team took with Colors, and I want more of that, but I don't want that to be the way the series moves forward. That mostly 2D, short bursts, score attack, power-up gameplay seems better suited for the 3DS or something.

I wouldn't mind it if they at least divided the series in the way the 2D and 3D Mario games are divided, to be honest with you.

But I don't want the Unleashed/Colours/Modern Generations-esque games to be limited to handhelds at all. I'd rather play them with a better control setup.

27. I counted.
I can't believe you took the time to count them. I would've lost track.

That actually sounds pretty nice. Too bad it'd probably be given to Dimps.

Kokonoe

Banned
Still need my Archie Sonic based game.

You know, when I was around 4-11ish I was really into Sonic comics and the story of them were actually what I thought the main story to be in Sonic was. It was only until Adventure that I realized the story was different, but I always wished they would make a game based on the comics. That was a long time ago hah.

You know, when I was around 4-11ish I was really into Sonic comics and the story of them were actually what I thought the main story to be in Sonic was. It was only until Adventure that I realized the story was different, but I always wished they would make a game based on the comics. That was a long time ago hah.

Yeah I used to think they mattered in the official Sonic canon as well. There was a fangame with Archie Sonic characters but it's been years since I saw it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hey guys apparently fan games are terrible!

Also, tigger, give Mega Man 2 a chance. That was one of the first games I had ever played, and it stuck with me. It's also probably the reason why I like to play on harder difficulties, but w/e.

Yeah, Streets of Rage Remake was ass and totally wasn't arguably the best 2d beat'em'up I've ever played.

Also, tigerkiddo isn't a Mega Man fan. I'm learning more and more about you, and I'm not liking it!

MM2 was the first one I played and that was back in like 2008 I think, it's aged well.
Also bask in envy platformer fan gaf, I played a Rayman Legends demo today and it was freaking sweet!

you guys will hate to hear that i've barely played DKC and final fantasy!

Considering I didn't get around to Mega Man, Castlevania, most 2D Sonic games (as in beyond the early zones) and and many more classics until 2008 onwards I can't really complain about such things.
The history of gaming is one that takes time to journey through.
In fact the only FF game I beat was this year.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I love Mega Man 2. I love how colourful it is. I love the music, and I love how it handles. Formula gets improved upon in 3 and 5 (which I also find incredibly enjoyable), but MM2 will always be near and dear to my heart.

It's funny how I don't feel the same way about Battletoads since that was the first game my cousins made me play.

you guys will hate to hear that i've barely played DKC and final fantasy!
Nah, I don't care. Especially regarding the former.

Yeah, Streets of Rage Remake was ass and totally wasn't arguably the best 2d beat'em'up I've ever played.
Yeah, fuck that remake because it was fan-created. Fan-created games are the worst. They're always this flash Newgrounds shit.

It kinda goes to show that not a lot of people pay attention to fan games even when they're legitimately good, huh...

Also bask in envy platformer fan gaf, I played a Rayman Legends demo today and it was freaking sweet!
Booooooooooooooooooooooo. What was it like what was it like what was it like?!

qq more

I'm gonna be honest when I say the charge shot ruined the satisfaction of killing enemies in the NES Mega Man games. I'm okay with slide though, I wish they kept that for MM9/10.

qq more

With that said though, Mega Man 4 is still a very good game and gets wayyy too much hate. It's no Mega Man 2 or 3 or 9 or 10 but it's quite fun.

I should be really posting this in the Mega Man Community thread, it's so hard to find it sometimes because it gets buried a lot

Nah, I don't care. Especially regarding the former.

Booooooooooooooooooooooo. What was it like what was it like what was it like?!

You really are Dark aren't you? how hurtful, you wound me so!

Oh as for Rayman, it was a fun co-op demo, my friend picked up the Murfy slack at one point and it was pretty well implemented. From a gameplay standpoint lums are more grouped together it seems and there's no more momentum loss from aerial attacks, basically my main issues are addressed.
Visuals look really great when you see it running.

Best MM games for me are 9 and 3, even though PAL 3 runs like arse.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
With that said though, Mega Man 4 is still a very good game and gets wayyy too much hate. It's no Mega Man 2 or 3 or 9 or 10 but it's quite fun.
It's fun, but sometimes I feel like it's relatively unremarkable because it's sandwiched between 3 and 5. Well, outside of introducing the New Mega Buster, which was cool.

qq more said:
I should be really posting this in the Mega Man Community thread, it's so hard to find it sometimes because it gets buried a lot
Seriously. I even have it under my subscriptions and I still can't find it (because I have it set to auto-subscribe when I post in a thread). That thread got dropped like a hot potato when it transferred over to community.

Kokonoe

Banned
Maybe when I get some more motivation I'll help spur some more topics there, I mean it is a thread I created after all. Haha.

qq more

It's fun, but sometimes I feel like it's relatively unremarkable because it's sandwiched between 3 and 5. Well, outside of introducing the New Mega Buster, which was cool.

I thought 5 was the weakest of the NES Mega Mans. I don't know why (Crystal Man's awful stage aside) but I never enjoyed it as much as the others.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You really are Dark aren't you? how hurtful, you wound me so!
Tee hee.

Oh as for Rayman, it was a fun co-op demo, my friend picked up the Murfy slack at one point and it was pretty well implemented. From a gameplay standpoint lums are more grouped together it seems and there's no more momentum loss from aerial attacks, basically my main issues are addressed.
Visuals look really great when you see it running.
Ah, so they fixed some stuff from Origins, then? That sounds good! Oh man, this is the game I wanted to get a Wii U for. Urgh. Must resist.

I... uh... well now...

Maybe when I get some more motivation I'll help spur some more topics there, I mean it is a thread I created after all. Haha.
Don't worry. My FF5 anniversary thread ended up being the slowest moving FF thread I've seen on GAF because no one cares about FF5!

qq more said:
I thought 5 was the weakest of the NES Mega Mans. I don't know why (Crystal Man's awful stage aside) but I never enjoyed it as much as the others.
I actually liked some of the level designs (ex: Gravity Man's stage) because they were kind of creative, and they at least tried with the music and graphics to make it seem like it stacked up to 16-bit games. Um, its only problem is that it's easy. I honestly think it's one of the more underrated Mega Man games.

qq more

Um... as long as it isn't Bubsy 3D! (I've never played Bubsy nor knew of its existence til the internet)

I actually liked some of the level designs (ex: Gravity Man's stage) because they were kind of creative, and they at least tried with the music and graphics to make it seem like it stacked up to 16-bit games.

Gravity Man's stage is great. Definitely one of the best NES levels. I think I really liked Wave Man's stage as well. (Interesting a segment of it was recycled in Splash Woman's stage)

Um, its only problem is that it's easy.
That could be possibly it. Although I found Mega Man 4 rather easier (I even did a minimal charge shot run on the last playthrough of it and still found it kind of easy.) and yet enjoyed it more. Hmm... I really think the charge shot made the games too easy, that's for sure.

I feel like I'm missing something here.

A few people in the MM X SF thread thinks all fan games are newgrounds shit.

Bubsy is like the Silver Surfer on the NES. Anything and everything will kill you and often you will die off screen because the game decided you had to. Now I know why games have to be super mega ultra hard for me to notice the difficulty.

Sequel was much easier.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I feel like I'm missing something here.
Sorry, I got carried away with my sarcasm.

Um... as long as it isn't Bubsy 3D! (I've never played Bubsy nor knew of its existence til the internet)
Lucky you.

Hmm... I really think the charge shot made the games too easy, that's for sure.
I kind of feel similarly. I like it a lot, but it's something that feels more suited for the MMX games.

tiggerkiddo said:
Bubsy is like the Silver Surfer on the NES.
That would imply that the music was by-far-and-away amazing due to being composed by the Follins.

Sorry, I got carried away with my sarcasm.

Lucky you.

I kind of feel similarly. I like it a lot, but it's something that feels more suited for the MMX games.

That would imply that the music was by-far-and-away amazing due to being composed by the Follins.

Bubsy had good music...

*sees who said it*

Ahh this way will lead to madness..

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Alright, these differences in opinions are making me laugh more than anything else now.

Of course, this might be my brain melting from studying so much.

And I really like the unique way they did the music in Bubsy 2. It's never quite the same tune and it often alternates, speeds up or slows down based on what you're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom