• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Computer Entertainment Adopts Blu-ray Disc ROM for Next Generation PlayStation

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Adopts Blu-ray Disc ROM for Next Generation PlayStation(R)

TOKYO, Sept. 21 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI),
announced today that it had begun preparations to adopt Blu-ray Disc ROM
(BD-ROM) format as a medium for the next generation PlayStation(R), the
successor system to PlayStation(R)2 computer entertainment system.
(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20020701/SFM066LOGO )
Blu-ray Disc (BD) is a next generation high-density optical disc format
that enables recording and playback of digital high-definition (HD) video
signals and programs. BD-ROM format has a huge memory size of 54 GB (dual
layer, single side), which is 6 times larger than that of DVD-ROM, and has the
potential of becoming an ideal medium to distribute next generation
entertainment content from movies and music to computer applications.
Standardization of this format is currently underway lead by the Blu-ray Disc
Association (BDA).
MPEG2-TS, the signal compression technology used in Hi-Vision TV
broadcasting, is also used in BD, making it possible to reproduce extremely
high resolution HD video images. With the introduction of the latest
high-compression code/decode technology (MPEG4-AVC, VC-1), playback of
high-quality video images from HD video signals becomes possible even under a
low bit-rate environment. On the computer applications front, including video
games, the importance of a medium with the capability of storing huge amount
of data and programs is becoming greater than ever.
The adoption of DVD format in the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment
system played an important role in accelerating the fusion of music, movies
and computer entertainment. The huge installed base of PlayStation 2 has also
contributed to the expansion of DVD-Video. Likewise, through the adoption of
BD-ROM for the next generation PlayStation, SCEI aims to take part in the
development of a new market created by state-of-the-art technology.
Development of key devices, including a single optical pick-up that can
read data from all three formats of CD, DVD and BD, is already on-going within
the Sony Group. Research and development in optical disc technology with even
larger storage capacity, as well as mass production technology, are also
moving forward with high expectation.
With PlayStation, PlayStation 2 and PSP(TM) (PlayStation(R) Portable),
SCEI will continue to expand the market and create a new world of computer
entertainment.

About Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
Recognized as the global leader and company responsible for the
progression of consumer-based computer entertainment, Sony Computer
Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) manufacturers, distributes and markets the
PlayStation(R) game console and PlayStation(R)2 computer entertainment system.
PlayStation has revolutionized home entertainment by introducing advanced 3D
graphic processing, and PlayStation 2 further enhances the PlayStation legacy
as the core of home networked entertainment. SCEI, along with its subsidiary
divisions Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc., Sony Computer
Entertainment Europe Ltd., and Sony Computer Entertainment Korea Inc.
develops, publishes, markets and distributes software, and manages the third
party licensing programs for these two platforms in the respective markets
worldwide. Headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. is
an independent business unit of the Sony Group.

NOTE: PlayStation, and the PlayStation logo, PS one and PS2 are
registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. PSP is a trademark
of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. All other trademarks are property of
their respective owners.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/09-21-2004/0002255248&EDATE=

The thread is dedicated to Pana and KLee.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Wow this is huge. Makes sense... have their PlayStation brand help out the movie/home electronics side with a massive BluRay installed base. Now the big question is how much will PS3 be? Hopefully $300?

DMczaf

Blu-ray Disc (BD) is a next generation high-density optical disc format
that enables recording and playback of digital high-definition (HD) video
signals and programs. BD-ROM format has a huge memory size of 54 GB (dual
layer, single side), which is 6 times larger than that of DVD-ROM

That's a whole lot of Madden :O

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Eggo said:
Now the big question is how much will PS3 be? Hopefully $300?
Sony/Kutaragi has said before they won't launch any Playstation system over $299.99 in the US. Everywhere else, on their own.

sun-drop

so is an early xbox2 still sticking with DVD? ..sounds like a DC'sh sized disaster if MS get left behind in the medium stakes .. it's always proved a stummbling block in the past ... CD > carts , DVD > DC/GC disc formats

Pug

I have no idea about technical specs and such like. But what advantages has the blue ray disc thing got over DVD when it comes to games besides storage space and being able to render HD videos. Is the difference in quality between DVD and Blue ray that big on pre recorded material. Is the BR disc in the PS3 going to a recorder? I don't understand the big difference.

neo2046

Blu-ray Disc ROM + PS2 compatible

scei5.jpg

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
okay - i see PSP's in that shot - where the fuck is the details?!?!?

Also, when will the final PS3 specs finally get set free?
Start a prisoner rally!!!

RELEASE THE PLAYSTATION THREE!
RELEASE THE PLAYSTATION THREE!

nubbe

Silver = CD
Black = PSOne CD
Blue = PS2 CD
Yellow = PS2 DVD
Silver = BRD

Never seen a yellow PS2 disc...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Pug said:
I have no idea about technical specs and such like. But what advantages has the blue ray disc thing got over DVD when it comes to games besides storage space and being able to render HD videos. Is the difference in quality between DVD and Blue ray that big on pre recorded material. Is the BR disc in the PS3 going to a recorder? I don't understand the big difference.
It's mostly about storage, Pug, as far as the biggest advantage it offers out of the gate. The press release indicates the ROM format only so no recording, unless they change their mind. A 1x speed BR drive is 36 Mbps. No way to know for sure what speed will be in the PS3 at this time.

Pug

kaching, Cheers for the info, if at the moment its just storage cpacity I see little reason for either MS or Nintendo adopting this storage medium especially as it would probably add big $ to the cost.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Will these disks be writable in PS3? I thought I heard earlier when Blu-ray was first introduced, that writability would be standard with this format? That'd be an interesting feature for games.

Pug

I asked this question, it appears from the PR that its ROM version only. Which I assume means it just reads the discs.

gofreak said:
Will these disks be writable in PS3? I thought I heard earlier when Blu-ray was first introduced, that writability would be standard with this format? That'd be an interesting feature for games.

If that's the case, the used market for games would go in the shitter after a bit. Besides, I think it's just read-only format. How many times could you reliably re-record on that thing, anyway?

Joe

i dont think they're talking about backwards compatability in that picture, just media the device will read.

Dujour

Banned
Kind of a foolish question, but BluRays are rewritable, right? Will the ps3 be able to do this? And would games now come with their own storage space for saving memory?

DSN2K

Serafitia said:
Kind of a foolish question, but BluRays are rewritable, right? Will the ps2 be able to do this? And would games now come with their own storage space for saving memory?

I can see it now....

*disc write error* game bust :(

Dujour

Banned
Oh damn you DSN. Now I'm getting flashbacks.

/me recalls her batman-like vow to not buy a sony launch system.

I hope I don't bend.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Teddman:

> Wow. Microsoft may want to look at going for HD DVD, the competing next-gen disc format.

Why? M$' VC1 codec has been adopted by both the BRD Founders and DVD Forum. And M$' main business is not electronics.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Joe said:
i dont think they're talking about backwards compatability in that picture, just media the device will read.
Yet the device, PS2, read the same discs that are PSone games(black) and music cds in addtion to the blue(PS2 cd games) and gold(PS2 dvd games/DVD movies). PS3 shows it would read all of above plus the new Blueray discs....

Teddman

cybamerc said:
Teddman:

> Wow. Microsoft may want to look at going for HD DVD, the competing next-gen disc format.

Why? M$' VC1 codec has been adopted by both the BRD Founders and DVD Forum. And M$' main business is not electronics.
I seem to recall Microsoft backing the HD DVD format as opposed to Blu Ray though... Would be kind of odd to see Xbox2 using a Sony disc format.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
They're not backing either format more than the other, Teddman. They're just pimping VC-1 to anyone and everyone.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
If MS went with the competing format, interest in the video game industry wars would blossom. All of the motion picture studios, television makers, and home theater enthusiasts would take a sudden interest in install bases for PS3 and Xbox 2. Video game sales would begin to affect other entertainment industries in a big way.

cybamerc

Teddman:

> I seem to recall Microsoft backing the HD DVD format as opposed to Blu Ray though...

Because Toshiba and NEC were interested in VC1 (VC9 at the time) while the BRD Founders were not (at the time).

> Would be kind of odd to see Xbox2 using a Sony disc format.

BRD is no more a Sony format than DVD is.

Teddman

cybamerc said:
BRD is no more a Sony format than DVD is.
Not entirely true, Sony is supporting the Blu Ray format and not HD DVD. Also, Sony manufactured the first Blu Ray recorder/player.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Woot to bluray, and double Woot! to Mpeg4 AVC.

Is it possible that the consumer electronics guys will deliver us a reasonably future proofed, efficient HD solution?

cybamerc

Teddman:

> Not entirely true, Sony is supporting the Blu Ray format and not HD DVD.

Well, I said DVD and not HD-DVD. DVD as you probably know is the disc format used by the current Xbox and the format that will be used by Xbox 2. Sony is one of the companies who helped design the DVD format.

> Also, Sony manufactured the first Blu Ray recorder/player.

By that logic DVD is a Panasonic format as Panasonic released the first DVD player to the public.

seanoff

near dark here. i'll pop out after cold case in 3hrs to see if i can spot KLEE orbiting or he may just have so much velocity that he actually gets blasted to interstellar space. :D

Pana may join him.

BTW i think Blu ray wins over hd-dvd so many players so quickly, the perfect launch vehicle for a new format drive. Devices into the millions within months. Instant market!!!!!

Teddman

Cybamerc, you are downplaying the extent to which Sony has lead the charge for Blu Ray, has poured resources into developing the format, and has championed it as the next-gen industry standard. To say they were the foremost advocates of Blu Ray technology would not be an understatement.

The announcement of Blu Ray tech for the PS3, which is still in an early, pre-consumer priced stage, is only further proof of this.

Sony has been investing heavily into Blu-ray product development and was the first company to have a disc recorder on the market. The company had previously hinted that it may use the format in the PS3. Sony's Blu-ray Disc R&D division chief Kiyoshi Nishitani commented in an interview with Asahi PC magazine in March that the company would like to establish ground in the Blu-ray Disc market by adopting BD-ROMs for its "home video game console."

The Blu-ray Disc Founders organization is composed of Sony, Panasonic, and 11 other major electronic makers. Like its predecessor, the DVD, the BD-ROM will primarily be used for movies. The companies plan to start marketing Blu-ray Disc playback machines (without recording capabilities) by the end of the fiscal year.

Sony is relying heavily on the Blu-ray Disc format, so the use of Blu-ray as the market standard in next-generation media is vital, especially since the company also publishes movies through its Sony Pictures subsidiary. Adopting the Blu-ray Disc for the PS3 should help spread use of the format, similar to what the PlayStation 2 did for DVDs.

Early expansion of the Blu-ray format would be ideal for Sony, considering it will have to compete with high-definition DVDs (HD DVD) in the future.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/04/news_6104095.html

DCharlie

saying all this, as a gamer, the only thing Sony would gain over a HD-DVD equiped Xbox 2 would be increased movie support right?

on a gaming level, there would be little difference .... ?

I think this next gen all may come down to who spent what to get certain results and who can lock in which 3rd parties. I don't think there is going to be much, if any, difference in performance between the consoles next gen.

DCharlie

scei5.jpg

okay, i'll ask again - i can see PSPs ... but there were no details?

or there were and no one is reporting them?

what the hell happened?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Sorry to ask a probably dumb question, but since it was my understanding that a BR Disc comes in a plastic case (like the UMD), how is it possible for the PS3 drive to accomodate DVD and CD as well?

Teddman

There's no more caddie required for Blu Ray discs. Phillips invented some super scratch-resistent coating, so now BR discs can be played "naked."

Top Bottom