• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Computer Entertainment Adopts Blu-ray Disc ROM for Next Generation PlayStation

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Serafitia said:
Oh damn you DSN. Now I'm getting flashbacks.

/me recalls her batman-like vow to not buy a sony launch system.

I hope I don't bend.

Hahahahahaha, you shall comply:

0306B_IN_S3F1.GIF

BR-g_01.jpg

kutaragi_ken.jpg

87260.jpg

OmniGamer

Can't wait for Klee's reaction :D

This is great...whereas with the PS2, I already had a DVD player, but by the time PS3 comes out, it'll most likely be my first Blu-ray player, and for a kickass price too if that "no system over $299 in the US" holds true.

Tabris

Haha, backward compatibility. Awesome!

Now it just needs a built-in HDD, and the lack of HDD support on the pstwo is no longer a problem.

OmniGamer

I wonder if the PS emulation will be any more robust, or remain the same(just texture filtering)...and I wonder how the PS2 emulation will be(probably same as PS1's, built in PS2)

*Edit*
This pic reminds me of an episode of the simpsons, Homer, Lenny and Karl had to make a commercial for Mr. Burns.

0306B_IN_S3F1.GIF

"Nuuuuclear power"

shpankey

not an idiot
wow, awesome news. Sony always makes brilliant hardware decisions... I am impressed with Sony in this regard.

Count me as a first day buyer.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
This just confirms what most of us knew already(concerning BRD)

If the price is within reason,(and it probably will be)PS3 should push HDTV sales..

I, for one, wouldn't mind playing GT5 @1920 x 1080p resolution..you *know* it'll happen

Tabris said:
Haha, backward compatibility. Awesome!

Now it just needs a built-in HDD, and the lack of HDD support on the pstwo is no longer a problem.

We still don't have confirmation of BC do we? It will read the discs, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will run the software. I'm sure it's more a formality, but still.

Kleegamefan said:
This just confirms what most of us knew already(concerning BRD)

If the price is within reason,(and it probably will be)PS3 should push HDTV sales..

I, for one, wouldn't mind playing GT5 @1920 x 1080p resolution..you *know* it'll happen

Count me in as well. Hopefully I'll be able to make a move on a flat panel 1080p set by or before the PS3 launch (be it SED, NED, or even DLP). Since it looks like all consoles will be supporting high resolutions from the outset (even though 1080i would be great I do hope there's a 1080p option for most games as well as widescreen) the challenge now becomes deciding which ones to get.

Sony ofcourse has major support. M$ is no slouch and has had and will continue to have some great games. Nintendo ofcourse has the least support but still has those killer games (even if it's 6) that make owning their console a must. [The N64 had Mario, Goldeneye, Zelda, Smash Brothers, F-Zero, Star Fox, Perfect Dark, and that kept me happy for the most part.]

Next, I have to sell my wife on why I need a new tv (I just got my 51HX83 replacement a few months ago)...though I have been slowly but surely hinting at it. Also, three consoles might be a bit much since I'm doing full time work and some school as well.

Decisions, decisions....

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
sonycowboy said:
We still don't have confirmation of BC do we? It will read the discs, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will run the software. I'm sure it's more a formality, but still.
True, but what would be the point of reading the disc if it can't run the software?

Defensor said:
True, but what would be the point of reading the disc if it can't run the software?

Playing DVD movies or Audio CD's?

I know that doesn't cover the Black PSOne or Purple PS2 CD's, but it just about has to have DVD playback as a prerequisite.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN

Richard Doherty, the Managing Director for Blu-ray at the Panasonic Hollywood Labs has stated that *ALL* BRD products will be backwards compatible with CDs and DVDs...

And here are the BRD technical white papers:

http://www.blu-raydisc.com/Section-13628/Index.html

Joe

so when the hell should i buy an hdtv? i was gonna buy one at the end of this year or very beginning of next but i dont wanna be left out on features and/or discounted prices.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
, for one, wouldn't mind playing GT5 @1920 x 1080p resolution..you *know* it'll happen

Thats a big jump you've made there Klee... BluRay certainly means playing BluRay movies, but doesn't make any confirmation of video output.

1080i sure, but I'm not convinced about the p. Look how long it took for progressive DVD players, and they were premium priced. I can see PS3 being interlaced only, and you'll need the videophile player for 1080p output.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Look how long it took for progressive DVD players
In a market that largely consisted of interlaced TV output, that made sense. But since the only thing that will get full value out of BRD or HD-DVD is an HDTV and most of those are natively pro-scan, I doubt such a transition will take as long. BRD is already designed for 1080p output.

However, I don't necessarily think that will guarantee a 1080p GT5 since the issue will be whether going for max resolution compromises the rest of visual quality too much. I think plenty of people would happy with standard 480p resolution for GT5 if the result was nigh photorealistic, while a 1080p GT5 might betray it's poly-based roots for the sake of higher resolution.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
1080i sure, but I'm not convinced about the p. Look how long it took for progressive DVD players, and they were premium priced. I can see PS3 being interlaced only, and you'll need the videophile player for 1080p output.

Where do you guys get this stuff....if you look at the BD-ROM whitepaper I provided you will find that the BRD-ROM format does indeed support 1080p...this is per the BRD spec....no 1080p, no BRD-ROM complience.....in fact, you can find just about all the info you would ever want about BRD-ROM in the whitepaper...no need for guess or hunches...

The 1080p GT5 thing was a prediction by me, yes....but if this thing has Teraflop performance I doubt they would cripple the game output (remember, the BRD-ROM movie output has to support 1080p) of it by limiting them to just 480p....

The reasons why the PS3 won't do this or that seems to go on and on and on...

doncale

Banned
i think that videogame video output resolution is more a matter of fillrate, and video output chip tech, than about flops performance.

sorry if i misunderstood Klee

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The 1080p GT5 thing was a prediction by me, yes....but if this thing has Teraflop performance I doubt they would cripple the game output (remember, the BRD-ROM movie output has to support 1080p) of it by limiting them to just 480p....

The reasons why the PS3 won't do this or that seems to go on and on and on...
Easy, Klee. I think the rebuttal here is valid. Whatever the PS3 has for overall performance, 1080p would likely be at the extreme of its *gaming* performance. GT4, by all indications, won't be a 480p game on the PS2 (even though more and more of the best looking PS2 games are supporting it these days) so why expect GT5 to be a 1080p game on the PS3? The GT crew seems to put the emphasis on physics engine performance and attempts to excel visually more through exceptional art design rather than creating a powerhouse visual engine.

doncale

Banned
although everyone would of course love for PS3 games to be 1080p including GT5, i think that it would look fine even with 1080i or 720p.

just give me 8x anti-aliasing on all games and that should make 720p / 1080i games looks absolutely stunning, image quality wise.

DCharlie said:
saying all this, as a gamer, the only thing Sony would gain over a HD-DVD equiped Xbox 2 would be increased movie support right?

on a gaming level, there would be little difference .... ?

I think this next gen all may come down to who spent what to get certain results and who can lock in which 3rd parties. I don't think there is going to be much, if any, difference in performance between the consoles next gen.

IAWTP. THis gen has been a hell of a lot of sameness. What the hell is DOOM3 if not a suped up FPS. I would say the standout titles that used the next gen system to take the game up one notch; so far = BURNOUT 3. It really takes the genre to the next level.

everything else has been shine and polish (visuals) but the same type of titles. Framerate locks is the best I hope for. Shinier better gfx is not going to make better games.

Phoenix

But I thought we already knew this, especially given their comments with respect to the MGM purchase. HD-DVD is deader than disco at this point.

MaddenNFL64

Matsushita supports BRDs, so Nintendo could use it in their next gen console, but theres no benefit to them at all to do that, since the only real advantage to BRDs at the moment is the extra storage. Right now, I think a second DVD9 would suffice for any really big games next gen.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
MaddenNFL64 said:
the only real advantage to BRDs at the moment is the extra storage.

I disagree, transfer speed is also one of the advantages to Blu-Ray (Blu-Ray 1x = 36 Mbps) as I do not see DVDs moving that much ahead of 12x due to physical limitations.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
What I wanna know,

Will they be writeable?

I had talked about using blueray and forgoing the HDD. Each disk can contain any updates or addons or user created saves or content. Custom music can be loaded via memory stick.

I'm not sure how much more it costs to include that feature...
I wonder if the HDD would really help with loading all that much, i'm not sure also how fast blue ray is, i'm sure its faster then DVD, and if thats true a HDD may be pointless if the discs can hold everything :)

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Here's the deal:

Three Blu Ray formats

First format is BRD-RE (re-writeable, like a VHS tape)....this is what was first introduced in japan with the $4G Sony deck...Panasonic released a 2nd gen BRD-RE that will play all versions of disks( the very first Sony deck cant play BRD-ROMs or even 54GB dual layer BRD-REs) and its supports 54GB re-writeable blanks which are for sale right now in japan.....all future BRD-RE decks will be like this..

3rd format is BRD-R(as you would imagine, its a write once version of Blu-Ray) the BRD-R physical spec will be compleated in december and its logical spec will be complete a couple of months later..

The 2nd(and arguably, most important...certainly the most talked about) format is BRD-ROM...no recording, but BRD-ROM players will read all Blu-ray Disks(R,RE and ROM) as well as DVDs and CDs.....this is, IMO, the core of the Blu-Ray format....they have to get this right or the format will never take off....all Blu-ray movies (currently, MGM and CTS) and probably some PlayStation 3 games will be BRD-ROMs...the BRD-ROM physical spec has just recently been completed a few weeks ago and the audio codecs have yet to be finalized though we do know what will be there at minimum(DTS++, 6-channel 192/24 LPCM plus uncompressed audio codec/s to be named later)...

Hope this clears that up....

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Ha ha ha ha ha oh god, 54GB?

Insanely large, I'D LOVE to see what the developers use to fill that up. This has me genuinly excited for the PS3.

EDIT: KEN KUTARAGI, make the PS3 into a texturing powerhouse. For the love of all that is holy 54GBs wants to be filled with beautiful large textures!

Ranger X

Even if we already figured it would probably happen, hearing now that BlueRays are comfirmed is cool.
The simple Sony equation is taking shape more and more.

fat userbase + PS3 being a good machine = leading the next gen.
( here read "games will be there" )

Phoenix

TekunoRobby said:
Ha ha ha ha ha oh god, 54GB?

Insanely large, I'D LOVE to see what the developers use to fill that up. This has me genuinly excited for the PS3.

EDIT: KEN KUTARAGI, make the PS3 into a texturing powerhouse. For the love of all that is holy 54GBs wants to be filled with beautiful large textures!

Doesn't matter if you can fit 54GB of textures onto the disk - you can't fit all of that into memory :)

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Phoenix said:
Doesn't matter if you can fit 54GB of textures onto the disk - you can't fit all of that into memory :)
OHH COMEONE, you know what I mean! ;)

The PS3 must have amazing texturing abilities, there's so much space available and the machine's specs haven't even been finalized. It must be done for artists everywhere!

Laurent

I'm too lazy to read all that stuff, but hasn't Sony aimed Blu-ray Disc ROM to be the medium of choice for PS3 ever since we start hearing about this 1 or 2 years ago?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"The 1080p GT5 thing was a prediction by me, yes....but if this thing has Teraflop performance I doubt they would cripple the game output (remember, the BRD-ROM movie output has to support 1080p) of it by limiting them to just 480p...."

it's not going to be a teraflop performance machine.

Rhindle

Suikoguy said:
What I wanna know,

Will they be writeable?
No way in hell the drive will be writable. I'm still skeptical that they will be able to get the cost of a BRD-ROM drive down fast enough for an early 2006 launch. It could end up being a factor that delays the PS3 launch, now that they have committed to it. Getting a RW BRD drive into a $300 machine ... three years away at a minimum.

This announcement REALLY boxes Microsoft in though. Xbox2 will be DOA if it ships with just a DVD drive with everyone anticipating BRD/HDDVD. And I don't see how they launch in late 2005 without taking another massive loss on the hardware.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Blu-Ray was cool, until as usual, lawyers started lawyering the technology. Now the Blu-Ray spec excludes component video for HD. That's right, you can't use the most common HDTV connector with your Blu-Ray player.

If some lawyers want me to buy a new fucking HDTV, they can just climb up their own arse and fuck themselves to death with their weak lawyery fists.

JayFro

Banned
Why on earth you would need 54 GB discs is beyond me. Most Xbox games take anywhere from 2-5 GB's of space up. It seems pretty logical for MS to use HD DVD as the format for XB2. This blu ray stuff is just more hype from the Sony hype machine, most consumers will not be ready to switch from DVD players to Blu ray, look at how stubborn they were just to switch from VHS to DVD. It's too early for Blu-ray, bad move by Sony.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
How the hell did you go from "pretty logical" for Xbox2 to incorporate HD DVD, to "bad move" if PS3 incorporates BRD? Both formats are much higher capacity than DVD, so that extra capacity would be equally wasted by your logic, and both formats are as yet unproven in the marketplace.

And, Stinkles, the issue you're complaining about extends well beyond BRD. If movie studios have their way, component video will go the way of the dodo, across all future devices.

teepo

Stinkles said:
Blu-Ray was cool, until as usual, lawyers started lawyering the technology. Now the Blu-Ray spec excludes component video for HD. That's right, you can't use the most common HDTV connector with your Blu-Ray player.

If some lawyers want me to buy a new fucking HDTV, they can just climb up their own arse and fuck themselves to death with their weak lawyery fists.

component and shit causes a delay. dvi and hdmi 4 life.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Joe said:
whats their beef with component? what input do they want to use?
Someone like Klee would be a better person to talk about this but, in a nutshell, movie studios can't exert the kind of DRM control they'd like to have over HD/digital broadcast content via a component connection. DVI and HDMI are digital and so offer that possibility.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I don't know why I never really thought of this before...but Toshiba is basically helping Sony build the one device that has the best chance of killing their own HD DVD format...

Joe

what are some sites and forums i can check out about audio/video? im a complete noob to both and its starting to catch up with me and piss me off.

Top Bottom