• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Computer Entertainment Adopts Blu-ray Disc ROM for Next Generation PlayStation

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
http://www.avsforum.com for plenty of "shop" talk and plenty of people willing to answer questions and offer advice. But be warned that you can spend days getting lost amidst all the info thrown around there.

If you're looking for a good place to get basic primers, I'm not really as sure about what's out there, but I'm sure people at the avsforum could send you in the right direction. Or just wait for Klee to pop back into this thread.

OmniGamer

JayFro said:
Why on earth you would need 54 GB discs is beyond me. Most Xbox games take anywhere from 2-5 GB's of space up.

And what was the average space for most games in the CD generation? Besides, it isn't BRD-ROM exclusive...it can still read regular DVDs, so just like on the PS2 where some games were on regular CDs, some PS3 games can be on regular DVDs. Things like hi res textures, hi def character models and animation, multichannel sound and 720p/1080i/1080p video will add up, and besides, the PS3 will last for at least 5 years if not more, so it's best to thing of things for long term, and not just what's "good enough" for now.

jedimike

Joe said:
whats their beef with component? what input do they want to use?

Component is an analog format. That means the signal is vulnerable to "tapping." Basically, it's easier to record the source. Less control.

DVI - is a pure digital signal. They can encrypt the signal, add headers, footers, or whatever. Movie studios have all the control they could ever need.

sohka88

Why on earth you would need 54 GB discs is beyond me. Most Xbox games take anywhere from 2-5 GB's of space up. It seems pretty logical for MS to use HD DVD as the format for XB2. This blu ray stuff is just more hype from the Sony hype machine, most consumers will not be ready to switch from DVD players to Blu ray, look at how stubborn they were just to switch from VHS to DVD. It's too early for Blu-ray, bad move by Sony.

Dude, can u explain this post to me? YOu reall got me thinking what sort of logic you are using to think BR is bad and HD DVD is good.

Pimpwerx

Well, Blue-Ray just officially won the media war. Unless the PS3 fails, there'll be 20M+ BRD players in circulation within two years. I was really worried they were gonna go with DVDs, but I'm glad they made the right decision. I didn't know all this stuff was being announced. News to me. PEACE.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Next generation DVD formats (both HD-DVD and BRD) will most certainly have DVI+HDCP outs at minimum and probably HDMI outs as well...

TEH BAD NEWZ

Its looking less and less likely you will ever see any HD-DVD/BRD device sold in the United States with Component video outs.....or at least, those devices won't pass a full-res 720/1080 image, thats for sure....

As you may or may not know, component video has enough bandwidth to pass HD images *BUT* (big but) it is un-encrypted...that is, you could, in theory, make duplicates of HD movies and possibly even distribute them over the internet......this is unexceptable in the eyes on the big Hollywood studios, so if you ever do see component video outs on HD-DVD/BRD players/recorders (and you probably will) it will most likely be a crippled version outputting 480p MAX...

This topic, as you all know, is a whole 'nuther can o worms with enough fodder for an entirely different thread, so I'll just leave it at that...

Japan is an intresting market as Japanese BRD-recorders have unencrypted component ins and outs to record HD terrestrial broadcasts @ full resolution.....there has got to be more to this, I would think...

At any rate, if you want to watch HD-DVD/BRD movies/games in full HD res, you will be viewing it via a DVI+HDCP or HDMI connector....or at least you will be in the United States...

Hari

Banned
No big surprise.

I can't wait to hook-up my PS3 via HDMI to my HDTV. :D

The only next gen console which I fear won't support DVI or HDMI is Nintendo’s...and after seeing them remove component input support from their new GC's it’s not looking good for the Big N. Hopefully they do support HDMI but I’m not going to hold my breath.

Joe

so if someone spent big cash on a tv a year or two ago without dvi or hdmi inputs, they're pretty much screwed?

Ranger X

Most probably i suppose. I hope this world will set some stable shit for a while. AT LEAST five year with the same technology. Sometimes i feel that electronics business want their industry to go as fast as computer industry. New kind of output and medium each 2-3 years? fuck them. I want to an electronic product like a TV, a player of some BlueRay or whatever and that it lasts AT LEAST 5 years.
RCA connections and VHS did last more than 10 years easily, that was a good deal, that was the good old days.

Top Bottom