• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony damage control team needed : Sony's iPod Killer SUCKS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now im on the verge of getting a rio karma. The iriver is nice but i dont think i'll be using the voice record or fm radio. The shuffle features of the rio karma +id3 tag support are extremely tempting. I may hold off though, theres talk that a revision may be announced very soon

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Phoenix said:
No - Translation: The hardware is better but the software that drives it and the data format that feeds it suck donkey balls.

correct. I bought my girlfriend a mini disc player after using my ipod for ages, sonic stage is miserable shit.

Pimpwerx

MDs have been around long before people thought to put music on their computers onto portable devices. They were originally a replacement for tapes, not CDs, and sure as hell not MP3 players. There's no heavy-handed DRM practices in Sonic Stage anymore, just the heavy-handed portions of suckage and bloat that the program has. Like i said, i don't see ATRAC going anywhere. It'd be like asking Sony to stop using Memory Stick.

ATRAC's not MP3. People put music in MP3 form. Therefor, it's logical to support that ubiquitous format rather than the stupid, proprietary one that Sony's trying to shove down everyone's throat. ATRAC hasn't caught on for a damn good reason. It sucks, and so does Sony's stupid reliance on shitty, proprietary standards. They can cram their POS memory sticks too. PEACE.

I don't understand why these devices are so expensive. I refuse to buy one until the price is around $70. It's a damn MP3 player, big whoop.

aoi tsuki

Pimpwerx said:
ATRAC's not MP3. People put music in MP3 form. Therefor, it's logical to support that ubiquitous format rather than the stupid, proprietary one that Sony's trying to shove down everyone's throat. ATRAC hasn't caught on for a damn good reason. It sucks, and so does Sony's stupid reliance on shitty, proprietary standards. They can cram their POS memory sticks too. PEACE.
Part of the reason ATRAC never caught on is because by time Sony released Sonic Stage (or whatever early flash-based ATRAC players use), MP3 use had already exploded across the net. Add to that the fact that it was limited only to Sony devices, which were more expensive than devices from similar companies.

i'm not saying or even supporting Sony's decision to make all their devices transcode to ATRAC. i'm just saying that despite the popularity of other formats, ATRAC is still technologically viable.

And hell, large companies have been pushing their own proprietary standards for years, just look at Microsoft.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Wellington said:
Bullshit, I transferred 129 songs last night over USB 2.0 and it took well over four minutes.

I share the hate of ATRAC3/Sonic Stage, as an MD owner. It fuckin sucks.

Something's wrong with your USB then. Something really wrong. I just uploaded 300 new songs into my 10GB in about 5 minutes; even though I used firewire it's still 170 more songs than what you uploaded.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
CrimsonSkies said:
I don't understand why these devices are so expensive. I refuse to buy one until the price is around $70. It's a damn MP3 player, big whoop.

Uhh...because they're hard drives that are tiny as fuck!

MrPing1000 said:
Right now im on the verge of getting a rio karma. The iriver is nice but i dont think i'll be using the voice record or fm radio. The shuffle features of the rio karma +id3 tag support are extremely tempting. I may hold off though, theres talk that a revision may be announced very soon
yeah, rio karma is good...
and hey, irivers have id3 tag support!

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
AlphaSnake said:
Something's wrong with your USB then. Something really wrong. I just uploaded 300 new songs into my 10GB in about 5 minutes; even though I used firewire it's still 170 more songs than what you uploaded.

yeah, i thought that a bit odd - mine definitely doesn't take that long

nitewulf

Wellington said:
Bullshit, I transferred 129 songs last night over USB 2.0 and it took well over four minutes.

I share the hate of ATRAC3/Sonic Stage, as an MD owner. It fuckin sucks.

USB is serial, the more devices you have attached to your ports, the lesser the bandwidth. in a test situation im sure they unplugged every other USB devices and then initiated the transfer.

nitewulf

MrPing1000 said:

if price isnt an issue, go for the iriver. really. later on you'll regret it. its a great audio player.

personally every time i decide on the ipod, someone reminds me of the iriver. i still cant make up my mind. someone tell me about the navigation on the iriver, cause thats the one thing i wanna get an ipod for, i just love the easy navigation.

nitewulf said:
if price isnt an issue, go for the iriver. really. later on you'll regret it. its a great audio player.

personally every time i decide on the ipod, someone reminds me of the iriver. i still cant make up my mind. someone tell me about the navigation on the iriver, cause thats the one thing i wanna get an ipod for, i just love the easy navigation.

im talking about the ihp-120 their price is pretty much the same

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
nitewulf said:
USB is serial, the more devices you have attached to your ports, the lesser the bandwidth. in a test situation im sure they unplugged every other USB devices and then initiated the transfer.

Also, USB is processor dependent. FW is a "dumb" transfer method, it is not reliant on anything. FW400 often keeps up easily with USB 2.0, and FW800 destroys it of course. Too bad FW800 is only on G5s.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Pimpwerx said:
ATRAC's not MP3. People put music in MP3 form.
I agree that it's a freaking stupid move to not playback popular formats directly, but getting on some high horse in regards to MP3 support is equally dumb considering that
a) 90% of MP3 content people "own" wasn't legally obtained anyway, and
b) if it was downloaded most of it sucks in terms of encoding quality to start with

And if you rip your own CDs, lossy format is only temporary storage either way, and Atrac is at least as good as any other lossy format in that case (or better).

They can cram their POS memory sticks too.
Actually, MS would be a perfectly good format if it weren't for Sony's constant attempts to kill it. And though the attempts were unsuccessfull so far, they have managed to make it a less attractive to end user. But, if devices like PSP are successfull it may very well be impossible to kill very soon...

Panajev2001a said:
Translation: Sony's product is better, but we just want to bitch about ATRAC3+ and the perfectly fine SonicStage 2.0 because we "think" are "hip-enough" to do so.

lol. Panajev always makes me laugh. Even when reviewers say it sucks, when consumers say it sucks, Panajev stands by his Sony. It's like he's married to a corporation.

maharg

idspispopd
nitewulf said:

That has nothing to do with it being serial. Serial means one bit is travelling through the wire at a time as opposed to an entire byte or more travelling through several wires at once. It is networked (or chained). Please to use correct words.

Also, firewire is not 'dumb.' To call something dumb because it requires a more complex and expensive chip to go with it is just plain backwards. USB is the dumb one because it requires that software do more of the work. The significant difference here is actually, afaik, that USB has a packet protocol while firewire has a stream protocol. This lends them each to different sorts of devices.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
God's Hand said:
lol. Panajev always makes me laugh. Even when reviewers say it sucks, when consumers say it sucks, Panajev stands by his Sony. It's like he's married to a corporation.

No, I am just happy with their products, they have served me well.

I bitch when I feel angry and I cheer when I feel happy.

I do not go on saying that something is good because it is made by Sony, something is good because it is good or bad because it is bad.

nitewulf

maharg said:
That has nothing to do with it being serial. Serial means one bit is travelling through the wire at a time as opposed to an entire byte or more travelling through several wires at once. It is networked (or chained). Please to use correct words.

yes, i meant that the transfer gets slower the more devices you have daisy chained. i was talking to a friend about it before, and he is a CS major, when i mentioned the bandwidth issue he replied, "yeah, its serial", so i assumed he was using the proper technical term.

either way, if you wanna get faster transfer rates out of our USB 2.0, unplug some of the devices that you arent using during the transfer period.

nitewulf

Panajev2001a said:
No, I am just happy with their products, they have served me well.

I bitch when I feel angry and I cheer when I feel happy.

I do not go on saying that something is good because it is made by Sony, something is good because it is good or bad because it is bad.

thats fine, but if you had read the article then you might see how your comment is just not proper. how did you conclude the hardware is superior? there is no technical data given as far as sound quality, amplification, signal to noise goes. only physical specs and battery consumption...thats not enough to judge, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom