• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony signs exclusive deal with Evolution Studios

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=dev&aid=3979

Rob Fahey 12:52 16/08/2004

WRC developer joins the ranks of SCEE's exclusive partners

SCEE has announced the signing of an exclusive publishing deal with Evolution Studios, the UK-based developers of the World Rally Championship series, which will see the firm working exclusively on Sony platforms.

The Cheshire-based studio is currently working on World Rally Championship 4, due for release on the PlayStation 2 this October, while the company's satellite studio, BigBig, is developing an original title for the PlayStation Portable.

The new exclusivity deal will see the WRC franchise continuing on Sony's platforms, as well as covering the creation of new and original game titles - with Evolution also set to begin development on future Sony platforms.

This isn't the first such exclusivity deal to be arranged by Sony this year; back in March, the firm signed a similar agreement with Dutch development studio Guerrilla Games, which is currently working on the highly anticipated FPS title Killzone for the PS2.

Such moves are widely seen as an effort by SCEE to complement its already impressive internal development capacity by cultivating a Nintendo-esque network of "second party" studios - a move which not only guarantees continued support for existing platforms, but also gives the company an assurance of high quality early titles for its future systems.

"We've enjoyed an unparalleled working relationship with Evolution Studios over the past 4 years," according to SCEE's executive vice president for development, Phil Harrison, "and the quality of their work on the WRC franchise can be measured by the millions of loyal fans who love the series. This strategic alliance allows our organisations to work even more closely together as we prepare for the combined challenges of new formats and expanded game design horizons."

Evolution Studios was founded in 1999 by Digital Image Design founder Martin Kenwright (who is now managing director of the company) and Psygnosis founder Ian Hetherington, and has developed three successful titles in the World Rally Championship series for SCEE. Last year, the firm revealed plans to expand the studio through the establishment of satellite studios under the "Devolution" programme; BigBig Studios was the first studio to come under the auspices of this plan.

Andy787

Banned
Great. Almost makes up for losing Rainbow Studios to THQ. Sony's is only topped by Nintendo as a games publisher and developer this gen, imo. Well, unless you include the Dreamcast.

Dekajelly

PRESS RELEASE

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) and Evolution Studios Sign Exclusive Development and Publishing Agreement

16th August 2004 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) and Evolution Studios are delighted to announce the signing of a deal that will see Evolution, creator of the multi-million selling World Rally Championship (WRC) series for PlayStation®2, develop games exclusively for SCEE and Sony platforms.

One of Europe's leading development companies, Evolution has an October release scheduled for the fourth title in the WRC series.

Exclusive to PlayStation 2, WRC 4TM: The Official Game of the FIA World Rally Championship boasts an all new handling model as well as a fantastic 1-16 player, on-line mode. Initial feedback from over 7,000 beta testers suggests WRC 4 is one of the hottest and best handling rally games in the market.

Evolution also has a visionary satellite studio, bigBig, who are currently working on a highly anticipated original title for PSP.

The exclusivity deal will see the Rally franchise continue alongside creation of new and original games titles. Phil Harrison, SCEE Executive Vice President Development, commented, "Once again, SCEE cements an exclusive relationship with one of the world's greatest developers."

He continued, "We've enjoyed an unparalleled working relationship with Evolution Studios over the past 4 years and the quality of their work on the WRC franchise can be measured by the millions of loyal fans who love the series. This strategic alliance allows our organisations to work even more closely together as we prepare for the combined challenges of new formats and expanded game design horizons."

Under the terms of the deal, Evolution will not only continue to work on WRC for the PlayStation 2, but will apply their knowledge and expertise to begin development on future Sony platforms.

Martin Kenwright, Managing Director of Evolution said, "We've enjoyed a fantastic working relationship with SCEE throughout the development of the WRC franchise and are extremely pleased to be extending this partnership. We are looking forward to working exclusively with SCEE, applying our talent, vision and technology to new products and platforms. We are confident this will cement Evolution's position as one of the world's finest development studios."

WRC4 will launch in Europe at the end of October this year.

For more information contact:

SCEE Press Centre
Email: scee_presscentre@scee.net
Tel:+44 (0)20 7859 5000

About Sony Computer Entertainment Europe as at 9 May 04

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, based in London, is responsible for the distribution, marketing and sales of PS one and PlayStation 2 hardware and software in 102 territories across Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Oceania. By the end of March 2004, over 39.5 million PlayStation and PS one units had been shipped across these PAL territories and over 99 million worldwide. Between its European debut on 24 November 2000 and the end of March 2004, over 24.5 million PlayStation 2 units have been shipped across the PAL territories, over 71 million world-wide, making it one of the most successful computer entertainment products in history. PlayStation and the PlayStation logo, PS one and PS2 are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Readying for next gen

Evolution aims to be one of the worlds leading independent developers of interactive entertainment. We can’t do it alone.

We are already one of the most successful independent developers in Europe, shifting more PS2 software units than most other developers, and we have just commenced the most exciting period of growth imaginable.

We have some killer ideas for the next generation of technology. We believe that this generation will outshine all other forms of entertainment and emerge as the lifestyle choice of the 21st Century. Forget movies, they are a century of preparation for the stuff we’re doing at Evo.

This is why we seek talent from any and all relevant fields – games, cinema, TV, theatre, comic books, science, education: if you have talent you’ll be considered.

Interested? Send a copy of your CV to nextgen@evos.net and let us take care of the rest...

Ranger X

Well i hope those guys will come up with better products than the WRC series 'cause WRC is sucking big time! One of the most overrated rally game ever.

Dekajelly

Wyzdom said:
Well i hope those guys will come up with better products than the WRC series 'cause WRC is sucking big time! One of the most overrated rally game ever.

Well, thats your opinion... doesn't stop them from selling in or around a million units per game so they must be doing something right. :p

Ranger X

I may be the less biased gamer of this whole planet. For the exact question of "i like WRC or not" there's a part of it related to taste that we can't debate of course. Objectively, i think the Colin series is more realistic and give the player a better feel of Rally.

Oh and Sony, what you just said about Rallisports is indeed the truth dude!!

Wyzdom said:
I may be the less biased gamer of this whole planet. For the exact question of "i like WRC or not" there's a part of it related to taste that we can't debate of course. Objectively, i this the Colin series is more realistic and give the player a better feel or Rally.

Oh and Sony, what you just said about Rallisports is indeed the truth dude!!

Fargin Codemasters!

Not bringing Colin to the states for the PS2, but they will for the Xbox? Die! Die! Die!

Ranger X

I was about to molotov their ass too but at the last minute they put me quiet by giving me a port of TOCA2 next october...

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Nice. If SCEE can get these exclusive deals with companies like Evolution Studios and Guerilla Games, I hope we see SCEA do something like this with Insomniac and Sucker Punch. Anyword if WRC4 will make it here as WRC Online? Sony teased me with WRC4 at E3 :(

Top Bottom