• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Dev Sony Santa Monica Studio Has ‘Several Unannounced Titles’ In The Works

GymWolf

Gold Member
I did too. Its mean a great game, a solid 8.5 at least. It just wasn't at 2018's level. Which for me, was a near perfect action game.

After waiting several years the whole thing kinda felt fairly anticlimatic. But thats just me lol.
It was not worse in all aspects tho.

Combat, enemy variety, location variety, build variety, challenge, boss variety, progression, exploration and some other things were better in ragnarock no doubt.

Also the spear was a god tier weapon (pun intended).

nial

kratos-kratos-fortnite.gif

I understand now why Nintendo said nope
They didn't say nope because they disliked the idea, lmao. They said nope because they wanted it to be a Switch exclusive.

They tried that.

If God of War then hopefully it's single player stuff with vast vistas and engaging difficulty. People want Egypt but it's a shame they'd never go to India, think how vibrant and fresh Hindu stuff would be after the north of Europe.
This would be hilarious. Shows off game realize there are a billion Hindus; game gets canceled. Lol

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
As much of a pony as I am, if Sony doesn't at least show Ghost of Tsushima 2 and update us what the fuck is going on at Naughty Dog and Santa Monica Studios soon, I'd be mighty pissed.

Fairgame$ might flop as just hard as Concord.

They don't care and imho, they shouldn't.

You'll get those games when they are ready to show and i don't believe any company should be revealing games as some knee jerk reaction to shit.

Show it when its ready to be shown. Cause you will be pissed summer 2024 bud, thats ok.

Ghost Of Kyoto and Spacenauts: Space Wars United will still release 2026 and 2028 etc.

So don't think they need to update anything, show anything or reveal anything.

Let them reveal when its actually ready cause i haven no clue what knowing about a 2028 title today, is going to do for you, other then set you up for unrealistic expectations and force the team to show unfinished work.

Hudo

Unless one of them is actually making a God of War game with good combat again, they can go fuck themselves.

That being said: I would accept a nu-God of War style game if I could violently murder Atreus in it. Atreus is one of the worst characters ever written and genuinely killed the franchise for me.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Unless one of them is actually making a God of War game with good combat again, they can go fuck themselves.

That being said: I would accept a nu-God of War style game if I could violently murder Atreus in it. Atreus is one of the worst characters ever written and genuinely killed the franchise for me.
Man, finished Ragnarok 2 weeks ago and...I can't anymore between the Marvel-ization of it all, the Americanisms, Angrboda and that specific level, the needless padding, the square like rooms/level design, the fookin horrible combat system and fookin Atreus...
It's gotta be one of the most boring AAA games I've played in the last 5+ years, I've just lost all interest in this franchise and i wouldn't be able to handle a 3rd samey entry, I've had enough.

It's kind of ironic really, they rebooted the franchise and now, after only 2 games it's in dire need of another reboot IMO, those WASD like controls and close camera /super small FOV are completely awful in an action game.

Last edited:

Stu_Hart

Neo Member
I don't know what's with the gow ragnarok hate. The game was well made to me. I enjoyed the lore, gameplay and the atmosphere despite the atreus sections, and the valhalla dlc was awesome with their own spin on the roguelike genre. I don't know where they can go after the norse realm, but if there is a new one, it has to make sense.
I heard that cory barlog is making a game based in outer space. Outer space style games are getting tiresome, but since it's sony santa monica, I am curious to see how it will do.

Hudo

Man, finished Ragnarok 2 weeks ago and...I can't anymore between all the Marvel-ization of it all, the Americanisms, Angrboda and that specific level, the needless padding, the square like rooms/level design, the fookin horrible combat system and fookin Atreus...
It's gotta be one of the most boring AAA games I've played in the last 5+ years, I've just lost all interest in this franchise, I just wouldn't be able to handle a 3rd samey entry, I've had enough.

It's kind of ironic really, they rebooted the franchise and now, after only 2 games it's in dire need of another reboot IMO, those WASD like controls and close camera /super small FOV are completely awful in an action game.
I wholeheartedly agree. I fucking loved God of War up to and including 3. I even liked Ascension. Then God of war 2018 came and essentially killed the franchise for me. And being the retard that I am, I still gave them another chance with Ragnarok...only to drop it after a few hours.
Maybe it's not a bad idea for Santa Monica to move on to another, new IP.

Markio128

Gold Member
Isn't that "a few"? I never understood words in place of numbers. It just doesn't work.
A few could mean the same thing tbh. I guess several is more rigid. Either way, 3+ new games from SSM would be music to my ears.

I reckon it’s one new IP, a small GOW based game (similar to the Uncharted side game) and a new fully fledged GOW game with a new setting.

Well, 'several' would suggest more than one or two, so unless ports are being counted as their own game this is hopeful news for at least 3 games from them. The sequel to Ragnarok is a given, as is Barlog's new IP, but that still leaves at least one other game they're working on as well.

I doubt it's a GAAS, but I also doubt it's GOW-related. So it could be yet another new IP and I'm wondering if it's targeting cross-gen PS5/PS6 or just PS6. BTW I think the Ragnarok sequel will probably be PS6-exclusive, no cross-gen this time.

But Balrog's new IP is focused on PS5; with any luck it could release in the second half of 2025 or early 2026 at latest, if it's been in development prior to Ragnarok and shortly after GOW 2018.

Toots

Gold Member
Doesn't mean much, everyone lies on their resume.
I speak 4 langages and do humanitarian work in mine for christ's sake.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

JaksGhost

At this point. Just launch it as a ps6 game.
#toodamnlong.
It hasn't even been a full 2 years since their last release. Some of you propped up these studios as monoliths of gaming over time and the expectations around them have grown astronomical. PlayStation seems to be the only studio where each studio is expected to have a bi-annual release or they're starving their audience.

Last edited:
It hasn't even been a full 2 years since their last release. Some of you propped up these studios as monoliths of gaming over time and the expectations around them have grown astronomical. PlayStation seems to be the only studio where each studio is expected to have a bi-annual release or they're starving their audience.

Hence, ps6 game (s).
We still have Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch and Bluepoint games still cooking (maybe overcooked). Then you have Insomniac with Wolvie. Hell, maybe sony think they can get away with 1 big sp game per year now especially in 2025 ( Death Stranding 2 year) where everyone and their grandad will be playing gta6.
That leaves 2026 -2027 for the rest. Yep, thats next gen knocking at the door.

HogIsland

Ragnarok is maybe the greatest, most cutting-edge AAA cinematic action game so far. I would love to see Santa Monica mostly reuse the same tech and production pipeline on a more grounded, realistic original concept. Kind of like how ND went from Uncharted to Last of Us. As much as I enjoy God of War, Kratos is a jarring, ridiculous character.

Last edited:
Top Bottom