• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soon We Will Know If Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka Will Be Charged With Murder, Or Not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell it's not just his daughter, Vince was the man who got him off from being arrested by pretending Snuka was a basic savage.

There's no way that part of the story (which I've heard) is true though, right?

I realize this is Vince we're talking about, but he couldn't work cops over saying, "Oh this guy? He's from the jungle. Let me explain."

OctoMan

Banned

I realize this is Vince we're talking about, but he couldn't work cops over saying, "Oh this guy? He's from the jungle. Let me explain."
Kayfabe was legit in the 80s.

Not saying it did happen, but given that era, I could see it.

I call urban legend.

Yeah, there's just no way this is true.

In any case, Snuka looked roided up as shit back in the 80s. I wonder if that played any part in this alleged incident. Between that and the flying off the top rope every night, I can see this being a similar situation to Benoit. Guy's brain just ain't right.

Sephzilla

I call urban legend.

From the source article

The original Whitehall police investigation went cold June 1, 1983, after a follow-up interview with Snuka that was ordered by Lehigh Valley authorities and attended by WWF mogul Vince McMahon.

He, at the very least, was at the police interview.

jmdajr

WWE issued the following statement to PWInsider.com:

“WWE expresses its continued sympathy to the Argentino family for their loss. Ultimately this legal matter will be decided by our judicial system.”

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Jimmy Snuka hasn't been relevant in decades. This means nothing to WWE.

His daughter works for the company. I have found it absolutely absurd shes been getting tons of screen time lately given that this was hanging over.

Also theres Vince and all of his involvement with this. Its not good.

Savitar

I actually do believe it, in those days people believed these sort of things. Nowadays it would be laughed at as absolutely silly but back then, yeah people believed and every report of the whole thing has said the same thing. Got no reason to doubt it.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I actually do believe it, in those days people believed these sort of things. Nowadays it would be laughed at as absolutely silly but back then, yeah people believed and every report of the whole thing has said the same thing. Got no reason to doubt it.

I believe it too. They fired herls/faces wrestlers who were caught together in public on the spot, absolutely believe Vince would've translated for Snuka.

Hex

Banned
His daughter works for the company. I have found it absolutely absurd shes been getting tons of screen time lately given that this was hanging over.

Plus Snuka is in their Hall of Fame

fuck

now why did mick foley go to a new york wrestling show as a kid and become inspired to become a pro wrestler? what else was on that card?

Tony Garea vs. Rene Goulet, or course. It was Goulet's triumphant return to MSG after a three-year long absence. They could also go with Tiger Chung Lee vs. SD Jones. That card was stacked!

wow, ironically someone was mentioning this in the hulk hogan thread last month. So many bad news for wwe recently. How come this thread is not huge?

Toro

Banned
wow, ironically someone was mentioning this in the hulk hogan thread last month. So many bad news for wwe recently. How come this thread is not huge?

Not the same impact if it isn't about the biggest star the Wrestling business ever had.
Which is still (sadly) funny, because what Snuka did is 1 trillion times worse.

Not the same impact if it isn't about the biggest star the Wrestling business ever had.

Plus Snuka's got cancer. Even if he survives the trial and gets sentenced, he likely wouldn't spend more than a year in jail.

Him being indicted is great news and justice, but it comes at a bad time for his health anyway.

bill0527

Hulk Hogan - world finds out he went on a racist rant - blacklisted from WWE, removed from their entire history in a matter of hours.

Jimmy Snuka - kills girlfriend 30 years ago, Vince helps cover it up. Finally gets charged after 30 years.... still has 1060 search entries on the WWE Network.

Hulk Hogan - world finds out he went on a racist rant - blacklisted from WWE, removed from their entire history in a matter of hours.

Jimmy Snuka - kills girlfriend 30 years ago, Vince helps cover it up. Finally gets charged after 30 years.... still has 1060 search entries on the WWE Network.

in hogans case its been widely known that behind the scenes he is a bit of a racist...hell most of the top tier 80s superstars were racist to some degree...some of the ric flair stories i have heard

my guess is wwe were afraid the floodgates were about to open and decided to lance the boil before it became larger...unfortunately it turned out being more of a wet fart rather than a tornado

i wonder what a triple threat match between hogan..benoit and snuka would look like now?

Knowing PA as well as I do, I'm sure Vince greased a few palms to make some people just look the other way. The state always was and is corrupt.

haha, gotta love how Mean Gene got uncomfortable at the end there

Yep, Gene was just classic. That was the thing about that era, it wasn't just the talent in the ring. They had great guys on the mic too, the combo of Vince and Jesse was gold as was Gorilla and Heenan. And Mean Gene was just incredible with the interviews.

Nerdkiller

Membeur

Kayfabe was legit in the 80s.

Not saying it did happen, but given that era, I could see it.

I call urban legend.
Nope. It was all myth, pure and simple. Kayfabe was king, but it can only go so far.

The police interview that discredits the whole legend:

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-document-jimmy-superfly-snuka-police-interview-wwf-20130607-htmlstory.html

Dead Man

In terns of the workload while she is dealing with this, or do you think she should or expected she would be punished for her fathers fuckup?

RBH

Dusty Rhodes and Roddy Piper have replaced Jimmy Snuka in the opening intro video for WWE programming. As noted, WWE announced they were pulling Snuka from their website and suspending his Legends deal while he faces murder charges from the 1983 death of his girlfriend Nancy Argentino.

RBH

-ee824d5595d21adf.JPG

Defense attorneys for former pro wrestler Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka agreed with prosecutors on Wednesday to bypass holding a preliminary hearing on charges he killed his mistress in 1983.

The 72-year-old Snuka, who appeared in Lehigh County Court surrounded by family and friends, will remain free as he prepares for trial in lieu of 10 percent of $100,000 bail -- a condition that also was negotiated by attorneys.

"He's not a flight risk," defense attorney Robert Kirwan said. "There's no reason to have him incarcerated."

Snuka, of Waterford Township, New Jersey, was charged with third-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter last month in the 32-year-old case. The charges followed a Lehigh County grand jury investigation.

Argentino, 23, of Brooklyn, New York, was pronounced dead May 11, 1983, after authorities were called to a Whitehall Township hotel room she was sharing with Snuka.

Snuka did not make any statements Wednesday, but Kirwan said the death of Argentino was "simply an unfortunate accident ... not murder."

Senior Deputy District Attorney Craig Scheetz, who is helping to prosecute the case, declined to comment after the hearing.

Kirwan said Snuka, who was diagnosed with stomach cancer, recently underwent surgery to have 3/4 of his stomach and lymph nodes removed. Snuka is preparing to start chemotherapy and possibly radiation treatments, if he is physically able, Kirwan said.

"His health is improving. He's much stronger. When he was brought in for the arraignment, he was in a wheelchair," Kirwan said.

Asked if prosecutors were seeking to fast-track the case because of Snuka's health, Kirwan said, "I'm sure they are."

The defense attorney also noted that with Snuka out of jail, the county would not have to pay for his medical treatments, and that he already has "very significant" medical bills.

The next step in the case is a formal arraignment, which has not been scheduled yet.

In the meantime, Snuka's defense team will be able to review transcripts of grand jury testimony, which will be provided only to them under an agreement that they not release the information.

Kirwan said there were 20 witnesses who testified, and that is information that normally would not be provided before the preliminary hearing.

Snuka appeared before the investigating grand jury but did not testify, Lehigh County District Attorney Jim Martin previously said.

"The sooner this gets brought to court, to a jury, the better," Kirwin said, later adding, "It's not a day he dreads. It's a day of freedom for him."

Snuka was one of the top stars of the World Wrestling Federation in the 1980s and the shows were taped at the Allentown Fairgrounds.

In the 30-page grand jury presentment dated July 17, the grand jury said it recommended charging Snuka with homicide based on three sources of information:

-Medical and autopsy evidence
-Snuka's "numerous statements" made to the media and in his autobiography, "Superfly: The Jimmy Snuka Story"
-His prior assaults of Argentino and his ex-wife

"The weight of the evidence clearly indicates that James Snuka repeatedly assaulted Nancy Argentino on May 10, 1983, and then allowed her to lie in their bed at the George Washington Motor Lodge without obtaining the necessary medical attention," the presentment says. "His assaultive acts and his failure to obtain medical attention resulted in her death by homicide at 1:50 a.m. on May 11, 1983."

Kirwan said a recent ruling allowing hearsay testimony at preliminary hearings make the proceedings a "sham."

Prosecutors intended to only call one witness in the Snuka case, a detective who would have read transcripts of testimony to the grand jury and reports presented, Kirwan said.

"The benefit (of a preliminary hearing) would have been non-existent," he said. "No cross-examination, no live witnesses would be testifying," and the transcripts wouldn't be available until later, Kirwan said.

"He is not dreading this trial. He's looking forward to clearing his name. and I expect him to be found innocent of all charges," Kirwan said.
http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/leh...rfly_snuka_murder_ca_1.html#incart_river_home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom