• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

Reminder ...

http://phys.org/news/2013-03-naked-eye-comet-sky.html

"It will appear in the West at sunset, from around the 8th to the 13th of March 2013, and will be visible to the naked eye up to the end of the month. Comet Pan-Starrs C/2011 L4 will traverse Cetus, Pisces, Pegasus and Andromeda."

My wife and I drove up Mount Baldy last night to check this out. It was visible to the naked eye for about 15 min. The tail was small though. It's moving away from the sun and earth now, so I guess that's expected. I had some binoculars, but several people had really nice telescope set ups and let us take a gander through them.

http://www.space.com/20075-comets-pan-starrs-ison-2013-stargazing.html

The comet at the end of the year (Novemeber) is supposed to be insane though. One for the record books. Supposed to come a lot closer to the sun and be much brighter. It will be visible as eartly as september through telescopes and be visible to the naked eye in oct with it being really bright in Nov.

fallout

My wife and I drove up Mount Baldy last night to check this out. It was visible to the naked eye for about 15 min. The tail was small though. It's moving away from the sun and earth now, so I guess that's expected. I had some binoculars, but several people had really nice telescope set ups and let us take a gander through them.

http://www.space.com/20075-comets-pan-starrs-ison-2013-stargazing.html
Here's a collection of pictures with a couple of really nice timelapses:

http://blogs.elcorreo.com/el-navegante/

The comet at the end of the year (Novemeber) is supposed to be insane though. One for the record books. Supposed to come a lot closer to the sun and be much brighter. It will be visible as eartly as september through telescopes and be visible to the naked eye in oct with it being really bright in Nov.
Of course, the closer to the Sun it comes, the greater chance there is of it losing a lot of material. Kind of a fine line to tread for comet predictions.

Astronomers Gearing Up for Possible 'Comet of the Century'

comet-ison-deep-impact.jpg

Astronomers are already getting set for the arrival of Comet ISON, which may become one of the brightest comets ever seen when it cruises through the inner solar system this fall.

NASA has brought together a small team of experts to organize an observing campaign for Comet ISON, which could potentially shine as brightly as the moon when it makes its closest pass by the sun in late November if the most optimistic scenarios play out.

More here: http://www.space.com/20260-comet-ison-nasa-campaign.html

xclaw

Thought this was to gorgeous to not share even is it's old.

heic0910i.jpg

This portrait of Stephan's Quintet, also known as the Hickson Compact Group 92, was taken by the new Wide Field Camera 3 (WFC3) aboard the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope. Stephan's Quintet, as the name implies, is a group of five galaxies. The name, however, is a bit of a misnomer. Studies have shown that group member NGC 7320, at upper left, is actually a foreground galaxy that is about seven times closer to Earth than the rest of the group.

http://www.spacetelescope.org/images/heic0910i/

derFeef

Astronomers are already getting set for the arrival of Comet ISON, which may become one of the brightest comets ever seen when it cruises through the inner solar system this fall.

NASA has brought together a small team of experts to organize an observing campaign for Comet ISON, which could potentially shine as brightly as the moon when it makes its closest pass by the sun in late November if the most optimistic scenarios play out.

Yah, can't wait for this to happen, amaze me space!

owlbeak

They're saying if it gets as bright as they think, its tail might be 20-30degrees in length in the sky.

That would be jaw dropping.

BELIEVE!

derFeef

I think I've posted about this before, but anybody else subscribed to SpaceRip's channel on Youtube? They're awesome!

Yeah, essential youtube channel if you are into space stuff :)

I recently de-dusted and calibrated my dobson and I may head to the mountains in some days, I am excited, have not watched the sky for months.

Voyager exits the heliosphere

Thirty-five years after its launch, Voyager 1 appears to have travelled beyond the influence of the Sun and exited the heliosphere, according to a new study appearing online today.

The heliosphere is a region of space dominated by the Sun and its wind of energetic particles, and which is thought to be enclosed, bubble-like, in the surrounding interstellar medium of gas and dust that pervades the Milky Way galaxy.

On August 25, 2012, NASA’s Voyager 1 spacecraft measured drastic changes in radiation levels, more than 11 billion miles from the Sun. Anomalous cosmic rays, which are cosmic rays trapped in the outer heliosphere, all but vanished, dropping to less than 1 percent of previous amounts. At the same time, galactic cosmic rays – cosmic radiation from outside of the solar system – spiked to levels not seen since Voyager’s launch, with intensities as much as twice previous levels.

The findings have been accepted for publication in Geophysical Research Letters, a journal of the American Geophysical Union.

“Within just a few days, the heliospheric intensity of trapped radiation decreased, and the cosmic ray intensity went up as you would expect if it exited the heliosphere,” said Bill Webber, professor emeritus of astronomy at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces. He calls this transition boundary the “heliocliff.”

In the GRL article, the authors state: “It appears that [Voyager 1] has exited the main solar modulation region, revealing [hydrogen] and [helium] spectra characteristic of those to be expected in the local interstellar medium.”

However, Webber notes, scientists are continuing to debate whether Voyager 1 has reached interstellar space or entered a separate, undefined region beyond the solar system.

“It’s outside the normal heliosphere, I would say that,” Webber said. “We’re in a new region. And everything we’re measuring is different and exciting.”

The work was funded by NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

Wow, wait a second, the sudden and drastic change in radiation and the talk of a separating "bubble" seems very odd to me; I've always thought the influence of stars was a smoothly gradual effect across the universe (e.g. gravity, inverse-square law for light)

However, Webber notes, scientists are continuing to debate whether Voyager 1 has reached interstellar space or entered a separate, undefined region beyond the solar system.“It’s outside the normal heliosphere, I would say that,” Webber said. “We’re in a new region. And everything we’re measuring is different and exciting

What's going on Space GAF?

Wow, wait a second, the sudden and drastic change in radiation and the talk of a separating "bubble" seems very odd to me; I've always thought the influence of stars was a smoothly gradual effect across the universe (e.g. gravity, inverse-square law for light)

It is smoothly gradual, but beyond the domains of our Sun, lies the radiation of billions of stars in our galaxy, so one can imagine there will be many readings of different radiation levels.

About the new bubble or new 'region' in our solar system, we can only guess, there's no way to know with certainty what lies billions of miles away. If we find another region that is still part of our solar system it will be a really remarkable discovery.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

everything outside our solar system is an elaborate alien projection. Voyager is about to go Truman Show.

derFeef

The periodic system of elements may be shifted out there ;)

That bubble, the heliopause, can be understood by looking at water pouring from a faucet into a kitchen sink. The radiant force of the water hitting the sink pushes back the surrounding water only to a certain point, just like the solar wind pushes back interstellar cosmic radiation, but only to a point...and Voyager has just crossed that point.

ku-large.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
That bubble, the heliopause, can be understood by looking at water pouring from a faucet into a kitchen sink. The radiant force of the water hitting the sink pushes back the surrounding water only to a certain point, just like the solar wind pushes back interstellar cosmic radiation, but only to a point...and Voyager has just crossed that point.

ku-large.jpg

Thank you for the amazingly simple comparison.

Had my mind blown on NPR this morning when a guy described the Bernoulli effect again, but this time by simplifying it to say "under wings doesn't matter. Shit under wings is messy. It's about the effects of air going over the TOP of the wings and then pushing down at the edges."

everything outside our solar system is an elaborate alien projection. Voyager is about to go Truman Show.

That's the impression I got from the piece too!

ku-large.jpg

This greatly helps imagine it, thanks. For some reason I didn't think solar wind can "push back" cosmic radiation, at least not to this magnitude. This is truly fascinating and I'm gonna read more about it.

Here was I thinking that once Voyager leaves the solar system, it would just be a dead vessel traversing interstellar space, but this sounds like it opens a whole new window of discovery. Can we really still send influencing signals to the craft, and how long until we lose contact with it? It's amazing that its instruments were designed decades ago and they're still proving useful billions of miles away and after all this time.

ku-large.jpg

This is how you teach science!

This is how you teach science!

Indeed. Lucky, please use your teaching powers to explain this as well ...

Our universe is not completely isomorphic according to our theory? The scientists said that there is an asymmetry in the average temperatures and that our universe might have an orientation.
Maybe it is a sign that there are other universes beyond our own.
Planck_enhanced_anomalies_node_full_image.jpg

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Space_Science/Planck/Planck_reveals_an_almost_perfect_Universe

New highest resolution of the CMB image of our universe from the Plank map.

http://spaceinimages.esa.int/var/es...83930-3-eng-GB/Planck_CMB_node_full_image.jpg

Our universe is not completely isomorphic according to our theory? The scientists said that there is an asymmetry in the average temperatures and that our universe might have an orientation.
Maybe it is a sign that there are other universes beyond our own.
http://spaceinimages.esa.int/var/es...Planck_enhanced_anomalies_node_full_image.jpg

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Space_Science/Planck/Planck_reveals_an_almost_perfect_Universe

If the multiverse theory actually gets proven, it'll blow my mind to pieces.

In light of the Voyager leaving the solar system (yet again):

voyager_1.png

xclaw

I've always believed it to be so. I've always imagined a storm of universes, with our universe just being one drop of rain amongst so many other.

Say this is true, how does the theory address what all the drops of universes exist within? My mind just can't comprehend.

Anno

So is there a good book chronicling human space interaction to date? Or a number of them that add up to a comprehensive volume? I'm less interested in actual space travel than I am in Voyager, Galileo etc. Or how about good speculation about future space probabilities?

Izayoi

Banned
Say this is true, how does the theory address what all the drops of universes exist within? My mind just can't comprehend.
I've...........actually never pondered that....

http://i.imgur.com/UmpOi.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
[quote="abstract alien, post: 51368415"]There is no end to the rabbit hole dude. The minute we can comprehend it, it's already grown out of our league again.[/QUOTE]
I suggest taking up weed. It helps immensely when pondering such questions.

This post needs to live on. Can't wait for fall to arrive.

I suggest taking up weed. It helps immensely when pondering such questions.

But then...what will help me comprehend the weed?

I guess there is always DMT, which might actually be the pinnacle of space travel according to the ones who've taken it.

So is there a good book chronicling human space interaction to date? Or a number of them that add up to a comprehensive volume? I'm less interested in actual space travel than I am in Voyager, Galileo etc. Or how about good speculation about future space probabilities?

From a list of publications (Voyager I &II are mentioned under Saturn) , A History of the Galileo Project.

Check-out the Voyager site:
The definitive work about the Voyager record is "Murmurs of Earth" by Executive Director, Carl Sagan, Technical Director, Frank Drake, Creative Director, Ann Druyan, Producer, Timothy Ferris, Designer, Jon Lomberg, and Greetings Organizer, Linda Salzman. Basically, this book is the story behind the creation of the record, and includes a full list of everything on the record. "Murmurs of Earth", originally published in 1978, was reissued in 1992 by Warner News Media with a CD-ROM that replicates the Voyager record. Unfortunately, this book is now out of print, but it is worth the effort to try and find a used copy or browse through a library copy.
There might be a publication talking of the limits of the solar system but the data on interstellar space is still being collected and so I am doubtful that any book is going to have much new information, at this time. 2017 will be the 40th anniversary of the Voyager launches and this will likely have a more complete collection of recent discoveries. There are many more free resources out there.

McNei1y

There is no end to the rabbit hole dude. The minute we can comprehend it, it's already grown out of our league again.

Maybe our Universe is one cell in a massive sentient being that is part of a solar system that is part of a galaxy that is part of a universe that is part of a massive sentient being that is part of....

Top Bottom