• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

I need to keep up on this thread. Have you guys seen this video?

http://vimeo.com/55073825#

Powerful and inspiring short documentary. Great stuff.

Dat Earf...

That was beautiful, thank you so much for sharing. I almost teared up by the end of it (reminded of the film For All Mankind).

The view of Earth from space is one of my favorite topics, and I've long maintained that seeing it for real is my ultimate wish (which I know won't be happening, but maybe virtual reality will provide a good approximation in my lifetime).

Not sure where else I could have posted this...but I got an email from Nasa about the ISS passing over my house, it says Max height 51 degrees...anyone know what that means? I got the directions WNW to S but not sure what that 51 degrees means, help?

Kud Dukan

Not sure where else I could have posted this...but I got an email from Nasa about the ISS passing over my house, it says Max height 51 degrees...anyone know what that means? I got the directions WNW to S but not sure what that 51 degrees means, help?

Zero degrees would be at the horizon, 90 degrees would be directly above you. So if you look at the path it will take in your sky (WNW to S), it's maximum "height" in the sky would be just over half way between the horizon and the zenith (the point directly above you).

elfinke

Quite likely to mean the AZ reading it will pass over by. As Kud Dukan beat me, 0 degrees is the horizon and 90 is the zenith above. The ISS will whizz by along the path NASA mentioned at that angle.

I highly recommend you (and everyone else in this thread enjoying the night sky) go here and download Stellarium, then activate the Satellite plugin (ctrl-z from memory, otherwise it's a button on the bottom bar) and search for 'ISS'. It will then show you where it is and exactly where to look.

Note, if the satellite data is incorrect, press F2 and goto to the plugins tab and update the satellite data in there.

So awesome thanks, I don't know if I'll get to actually see it as I live in the San Fernando valley, but I have roof access in my building and there aren't any tall mountains near by, and I'll install that plugin as soon as I get home thanks!

Been using various ios apps to track the ISS and such. Have a new one that supposedly tells you when you can expect to see an Iridium flash, but it's been cloudy every time one was scheduled above my house.

elfinke

Been using various ios apps to track the ISS and such. Have a new one that supposedly tells you when you can expect to see an Iridium flash, but it's been cloudy every time one was scheduled above my house.

Nice. WHat's the app called?

The newest iOS app that I can heartily recommend to anyone with decent night skies, binos and/or scopes is the Messier Marathon app. I bought it a few nights ago and it's great.

I bought a new scope recently and this app combined with a basic sky tracking app is perfect. As soon as the I get some clear night skies I intend to begin ticking off (and sketching) the Messier catalogue from my backyard.

Thanks for mentioning stellarium, elfinke. That's a neat site.

Millionaire and space tourist Dennis Tito announced his plans for funding a commercial mission to Mars, and the mission will send two professional crew members – one man and one woman who will likely be a married couple – flying as private citizens on a “fast, free-return” mission, passing within 100 miles of Mars before swinging back and safely returning to Earth. The spacecraft will likely be tinier than a small Winnebago recreational vehicle. Target launch date is Jan. 5, 2018.
Universe Today

tito-mars-mission-concept-580x432.jpg

Humans to Mars in just over five years...?

Manned space flight over long distances is imo just a bad idea at this moment. Way too risky. We don't need to prove that it's possible to send humans to Mars. We know it is possible. It's just a matter of engineering. I think humanity should focus on unmanned spaceships for now, until technology is more secure and until we have better propulsion systems. What I would like to see is much more space probes, and ultimately an interstellar space probe with new propulsion technology. How cool would it be to have a spacecraft which can reach 20% of lightspeed and near star systems in maybe ~25 years? Or even faster?

Gemüsepizza;48461914 said:
Manned space flight over long distances is imo just a bad idea at this moment. Way too risky. We don't need to prove that it's possible to send humans to Mars. We know it is possible. It's just a matter of engineering. I think humanity should focus on unmanned spaceships for now, until technology is more secure and until we have better propulsion systems. What I would like to see is much more space probes, and ultimately an interstellar space probe with new propulsion technology.
This is a private endeavor. I too wonder about the cost-benefit. If the mission fails: how will that affect near-future space exploration? Then again, they make great points about inspiring kids and increasing interest in space exploration.

The chance that we could have a couple in space, doing time-delayed interviews along the way could make the mission more interesting than sending a rover. I have mixed feelings but since it is a private endeavor, I don't feel like I have any right to tell them how they ought to spend their money.

Gemüsepizza;48461914 said:
Manned space flight over long distances is imo just a bad idea at this moment. Way too risky. We don't need to prove that it's possible to send humans to Mars. We know it is possible. It's just a matter of engineering. I think humanity should focus on unmanned spaceships for now, until technology is more secure and until we have better propulsion systems. What I would like to see is much more space probes, and ultimately an interstellar space probe with new propulsion technology.

I completely agree. The problem with manned missions is that the mission's objective changes to keep the humans alive and not the pursuit of science. Currently, I really don't see what a human can do in space that machinery can't do? Oh play golf or extract essential oils from rose. I jokingly pick two missions that are pretty useless, but other than keeping people's imagination alive, I don't see the purpose of manned space flight.

I completely agree. The problem with manned missions is that the mission's objective changes to keep the humans alive and not the pursuit of science. Currently, I really don't see what a human can do in space that machinery can't do? Oh play golf or extract essential oils from rose. I jokingly pick two missions that are pretty useless, but other than keeping people's imagination alive, I don't see the purpose of manned space flight.
This would serve the private-space industries, as a sort of Lewis and Clark showing it can be done. There are still improvements that need to be made for long-term space flight and this pushes the threshold of our capabilities. The fact that 2018 provides the window of opportunity, makes it a do or not do; and I would vote do it, if it came to a vote. It won't be until 2030[?] that this opportunity arises again.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
So what you're saying is we need a moon base where men can go to oversee and repair robotic equipment that mass produce probes to more easily leave the rocks to scour things we want to know in our solar system?

If we're not putting money towards men in space, we're not gonna put enough money for science needed in space.

We could be on Mars with men instead of having the dumbass war in Iraq AND exploring titan with a fancy probe.

Look at a mission that didn't make the cut:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_Saturn_System_Mission
2.5 billion 2030 plan to explore methane seas scrapped.

Stay blissfully ignorant.

I think I said it before, but I wish mankind made some effort to explore Jupiters moon Europa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_%28moon%29#Future_missions

Cryobot.jpg

A large ocean is supposed to lie under its ice crust. One of the most interesting places in our solar system imo.

Add Enceladus (Subsurface Water Ocean / Ice Geisers / Unusually Hot) and Titan (Hydrocarbon Lakes on Surface, Subsurface Water Ocean) to that list and we're golden. These are the places where NASA's funds should be concentrated.

Land a guy on Phobos instead of Mars itself, wrap that up and head to the more interesting moons of Saturn and Jupiter.

Black hole spinning at nearly light speed.

That said, scientists do know how much energy is given off by this black hole's rotational energy, equivalent to a billion stars shining over the course of a billion years. Scientists also know to what extent the black hole's spin is distorting spacetime. "If you were standing near the event horizon of this particular black hole, you would have to turn around once every four minutes just to stand still," Harrison said.

More...
http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/2/2...spins-at-nearly-the-speed-of-light-study-says

Sorry for the mobile link.

I suppose this is expected, considering the starts close to them orbit at that rate of speed as well right?

There's no smiley face to portray my amazement.
It's just...I don't know. You hear something is a billion times the sun and shit just stops having meaning all together lol. You know we are going to find something one day that is even bigger. This rabbit hole has no end :-I

For sure. Just thought it might be worth pointing out.
Certainly, I didn't even question it.
sts104_spacewalker.jpg

I was browsing pictures form the ESA and they got some great stuff too:

edit: this seems worth tacking on:
regarding: Dennis Tito and Inspiration Mars:
[...]but their greatest health risk comes from exposure to the radiation from cosmic rays. The solution? Line the spacecraft's walls with water, food and their own faeces.

"It's a little queasy sounding, but there's no place for that material to go, and it makes great radiation shielding," says Taber MacCallum, a member of the team funded by multimillionaire Dennis Tito, who announced the audacious plan earlier this week. Article

Stay blissfully ignorant.

Nice talk.

I am not arguing about the economic impact of the never-ending wars the United States has involved itself in compared to the economics of funding space travel. All I am saying is that we don't currently have the ability to keep humans alive on the trip (unless the radiation shield made of human excrement works) or prevent the very real biological side effects of living in zero gravity.

I truthfully believe that finite resources can be better spent exploring our own planet and preventing a new mass extinction. Probes are doing a better job of exploration than humans can at this point.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Since my knowledge on this subject it pretty much non existent, does anyone know if there were ever any talks about an international space organization? If the western nations got their shit together the things we could do.

Since my knowledge on this subject it pretty much non existent, does anyone know if there were ever any talks about an international space organization? If the western nations got their shit together the things we could do.

I think the International Space Station is a nice example of international cooperation, but it also shows some problems, for example, as far as I know, the USA did not want China to participate on this project because of some paranoid pseudo reasons (they would have access to US technology...woooh wat), and I guess space programs are still very important to certain nations for prestige reasons, to demonstrate how "strong" a country is, which maybe prevents cooperation sometimes. For example here is a small quote from Charles Bolden (NASA) about the next Mars mission: ""With this next mission, we're ensuring America remains the world leader in the exploration of the Red Planet, while taking another significant step toward sending humans there in the 2030s.". It's not just about science, but also about pride / prestige etc.

i-Lo

Has anyone ever wondered what if there was a game development division at one of the major space research/astronomy outlets like NASA or ESA? I wonder what kind of game (in traditional sense, not learn and play stuff) especially pertaining to premise would they come up with. Makes me wonder if astronomers and other researchers from ancillary divisions would have made Mass Effect or were responsible for shaping our perception of space through mainstream movies, where would we be today...

Woorloog

Banned
All I am saying is that we don't currently have the ability to keep humans alive on the trip (unless the radiation shield made of human excrement works) or prevent the very real biological side effects of living in zero gravity.

Choose people who're willing to die for the humankind.
If that doesn't work...
Extensive radiation shielding. Going to be massive, which means expensive but no way around it. The thing is, this won't change in the future unless someone figures out magical radiation shielding that is not made from lead or other heavy elements.
Gravity isn't that big problem, just make a rotating section for the spaceship. Since spacecraft are not likely to accelerate the whole journey, as that would be expensive, requiring a lot of delta-v (even if we're talking about milli-g acceleration, true torchships are out of our reach for now), rotating section works just fine.
This is also something we should investigate, we know micro-gravity/freefall/zero-g is a health risk but what is minimum gravity humans need to avoid healh issues? Is 1/6th (Moon G) enough? 1/3 (Mars G)? We don't know.
Studying this shouldn't be too difficult, just make a rotating space station with multiple decks and have people to spend time on those.

Since we've sent landers on Mars already (ie, we know we can do it), all a manned Mars mission needs is funding and engineering (along with political will). Of course unless we mean to establish a permament base (probably not first mission), or a colony, a manned Mars mission is pointless. Gotta plan to future really.

Has anyone ever wondered what if there was a game development division at one of the major space research/astronomy outlets like NASA or ESA? I wonder what kind of game (in traditional sense, not learn and play stuff) especially pertaining to premise would they come up with. Makes me wonder if astronomers and other researchers from ancillary divisions would have made Mass Effect or were responsible for shaping our perception of space through mainstream movies, where would we be today...

I don't know how these fit into the hierarchies of the organizations but there are some, and it is clear there is much room for improvement.

NASA Learning Technologies Moonbase Alpha 3D
NASA's Space Place
not a game but Eyes on the Solar System is magnificent.

ESA has games for kids.

edit: I suppose these are all within the "learning category"

i-Lo

I don't know how these fit into the hierarchies of the organizations but there are some, and it is clear there is much room for improvement.

NASA Learning Technologies Moonbase Alpha 3D
NASA's Space Place
not a game but Eyes on the Solar System is magnificent.

ESA has games for kids.

edit: I suppose these are all within the "learning category"

Indeed @your edit.

I was thinking more along the lines of sci-fi by scientists/researchers/engineers. Some of the aspects may end up being more of "simulation" but it would be an entertaining notion nonetheless.

For one, they would not misuse the words, "Sun" and "Moon" to mean a different star and a natural satellite.
Secondly they would not attach sounds effects in "space" (only firefly got this right).
Thirdly, space combat would be way more different (esp. between drones). Fourthly, not every non human would speak english (I know most of the games use "universal translator" as an excuse but why the lip sync then?) (Cyberpunk 2077 is doing something about this).
Etc etc

Indeed @your edit.

I was thinking more along the lines of sci-fi by scientists/researchers/engineers. Some of the aspects may end up being more of "simulation" but it would be an entertaining notion nonetheless.

For one, they would not misuse the words, "Sun" and "Moon" to mean a different star and a natural satellite.
Secondly they would not attach sounds effects in "space" (only firefly got this right).
Thirdly, space combat would be way more different (esp. between drones). Fourthly, not every non human would speak english (I know most of the games use "universal translator" as an excuse but why the lip sync then?) (Cyberpunk 2077 is doing something about this).
Etc etc
There might be someone to contact or a resource that might point you toward what you are looking for.
NASA Learning Technologies provides technology support to NASA projects wishing to extend their education and outreach activities to 3D virtual worlds like Second Life, ActiveWorlds, and others. If you're thinking of expanding your program to include virtual worlds, please contact the LT project office to receive information on our services. Link
NASA released the game on Valve's Steam network, and will use the Steamworks suite of services for server browsing, leaderboards, statistics and more. Steam has more than 25 million accounts and has released more than 1,100 games. It was built on Epic Games' Unreal Engine 3. The Army Game Studio developed the game with primary development support from Virtual Heroes, a division of Applied Research Associates in Research Triangle Park, N.C. This collaboration between NASA and the Army's Aviation Missile Research Development and Engineering Center is an example of government agencies working together to improve education in the STEM fields.

Why Games?

Read more about NASA LT's research agenda:

-- Laughlin, D., Roper, M., Howell, K.,Research Challenges in the Design of Massively Multiplayer Games for Education and Training: NASA eEducation Roadmap, April 2007.
-- Laughlin, D., NASA eEducation Roadmap Implementation Guide, Internal NASA Document, March 2007.
This document is intended as a research based outline of tasks for the NASA eEducation unit to implement some of the research and development areas identified by the NASA eEducation Roadmap.
-- Laughlin, D., Marchuk, N., A Guide to Educational Computer Games for NASA, November 2005.
An NLT research white paper on the computer games as educational media. This document includes input solicited in a 2004 Request for Information.

Again, this is going to be under the education umbrella but I think that if the product is authentic, it could be argued it is also educational (debatable, of course).

I honestly think that even when scientists are consulted (or author a script), when it comes to producing something for entertainment purposes, compromises will be made to appeal to a wider audience. Cyperpunk 2077 (the upcoming game) seems like a blend of Bladerunner and Ghost in the Shell (and these have their own source of inspiration), I'm not familiar with the graphic novel or tabletop roleplaying game; does it have space-elements in it?

Perhaps there is a critic that does the opposite of what Phil Plait does, focusing on the authenticity of science in media.

I also came across this: Six scientists tell us about the most accurate science fiction in their fields

Meet the Scientists Who Make Science Fiction Believeable

A longer article: Science Consultants, Fictional Films, and Scientific Practice

Reminder ...

http://phys.org/news/2013-03-naked-eye-comet-sky.html

"It will appear in the West at sunset, from around the 8th to the 13th of March 2013, and will be visible to the naked eye up to the end of the month. Comet Pan-Starrs C/2011 L4 will traverse Cetus, Pisces, Pegasus and Andromeda."

Nice! There will also be another one very bright by the end of the year!

BTW will Pan-Starrs be visible in the southern hemisphere?

Top Bottom