• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

Seems I spoke too soon :/

http://www.isoncampaign.org/karl/in-memoriam

The king is dead. LONG LIVE THE KING!

ison_obit_sm.jpg

Nice.

derFeef

Who the hell are these people that actually would vote down on a video like this?

Makes one doubt in humanity.

But man, I have watched that thing like 100 times now, not even kidding. The combination of music and imagery is spawning feelings inside me that are truly shaking me up.

The fact that we acomplished such thing, that I will never experience this myself with my own eyes, that our planet is such a beautiful place to live on ... ugh it's gut-wrenching

Comet ISON approaches the Sun as seen by STEREO Ahead

Makes me feel incredibly privileged to be able to witness a video like this in my life time. We humans, intelligent apes, casually sitting back and virtually gazing at a window that looks over our planet's neighborhood in the solar system.

Edit:

I shed some manly tears.
Watch in 4K

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOAEIMx39-w

Oh my my... I can't imagine ANY human being not being awed by this.

Edit 2: I made a thread

So today i went to utrecht with my dad to see Human Adventure showing replica's but also real stuff from NASA and from russia in the space race. It's mindblowing what they made in the 50/60's. You get a ipod with a hearing tour guide for every part you are showing numbers on locations there it works really well, about the founding fathers to pioneers in space etc. I was suprised how small Gemini was my god.

For those hours at least 3 to 4 hours we where there it was absoluty fascinating. Even from the early stories from Jules Verne to Da Vinci with his inventions.

I cannot believe that money have stopped all of this. And that no one is making dreams a reality. All of that money only funding army's instead of science. Like Kennedy said do not look back to the past look to the future look beyond that. I think it's still a shame that they didn't push any further. Still blows my mind that 2 people have landed on the moon with technology what now mostly is normal these days but a lot of was build by NASA and even Russia.

Sounds awesome. I wanna go there with my son :D Utrecht you said..

Who the hell are these people that actually would vote down on a video like this?

Maybe the video was giving them vertigo or they didn't like the music. Maybe they downvoted the video as a mistake, out of sheer bewilderment for how stunning the video is. Maybe they are just the type of people that hate on nice things that they themselves inwardly covet. Maybe they think space is just a waste of time, and lack the understanding of how important space exploration could be [-is-]. Who knows, its not a reason to doubt humanity. It demonstrates the diversity of opinion and behavior that is humanity. We're not all space explorers but it is hard for me to imagine one would look up at the stars and feel that sense of wonder.

00_iss_00drjvi.gif

Makes one doubt in humanity.

But man, I have watched that thing like 100 times now, not even kidding. The combination of music and imagery is spawning feelings inside me that are truly shaking me up.

The fact that we acomplished such thing, that I will never experience this myself with my own eyes, that our planet is such a beautiful place to live on ... ugh it's gut-wrenching

I understand you exactly.

Maybe the video was giving them vertigo or they didn't like the music. Maybe they downvoted the video as a mistake, out of sheer bewilderment for how stunning the video is. Maybe they are just the type of people that hate on nice things that they themselves inwardly covet. Maybe they think space is just a waste of time, and lack the understanding of how important space exploration could be [-is-]. Who knows, its not a reason to doubt humanity. It demonstrates the diversity of opinion and behavior that is humanity. We're not all space explorers but it is hard for me to imagine one would look up at the stars and feel that sense of wonder.

00_iss_00drjvi.gif

Great gif; lovely star stuff.

Melchiah

NASA | The Sun Reverses its Magnetic Poles
http://youtu.be/B4UtVo7-yJA

This visualization shows the position of the sun's magnetic fields from January 1997 to December 2013. The field lines swarm with activity: The magenta lines show where the sun's overall field is negative and the green lines show where it is positive. A region with more electrons is negative, the region with less is labeled positive. Additional gray lines represent areas of local magnetic variation.

The entire sun's magnetic polarity, flips approximately every 11 years -- though sometimes it takes quite a bit longer -- and defines what's known as the solar cycle. The visualization shows how in 1997, the sun shows the positive polarity on the top, and the negative polarity on the bottom. Over the next 12 years, each set of lines is seen to creep toward the opposite pole eventually showing a complete flip. By the end of the movie, each set of lines are working their way back to show a positive polarity on the top to complete the full 22 year magnetic solar cycle.

At the height of each magnetic flip, the sun goes through periods of more solar activity, during which there are more sunspots, and more eruptive events such as solar flares and coronal mass ejections, or CMEs. The point in time with the most sunspots is called solar maximum.

The largest sunspot in years fired off an X-class solar flare with a CME directed at earth. Might be a nice aurora in a couple of days for higher latitudes.

Tonight the second broadcast of Stargazing Live on BBC2. The first episode was groundbreaking as there was no cloud cover and people were actually gazing at stars live. Also a glorious Northern Lights was shown.

fallout

John Dobson passed away today:

It is with heavy hearts that we must report the passing of John Dobson. He died peacefully this morning, Wednesday, January 15th, in Burbank, California. He was 98 years old. He leaves behind a son, numerous close friends, and fans and admirers worldwide.

On March 8th, in honor of John, this year's ISAN (International Sidewalk Astronomy Night) will be dedicated to his memory. Amateur astronomers around the globe can join in and celebrate John's life and continue to carry the torch that he lit back in 1968 when he co-founded the San Francisco Sidewalk Astronomers.

http://www.sidewalkastronomers.us/2014.01.01_arch.html#1389824134605

His impact on amateur astronomy has certainly been profound. In particular, his approach to outreach is an inspiration. He heavily promoted the concept of sidewalk astronomy, which is an amazingly effective way of getting the general public to look through a telescope.

Melchiah

0FpECzf.jpg

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap140204.html
A Particle Beam Jet forms HH 24

Explanation: If you visit HH 24, don't go near the particle beam jet. This potential future travel advisory might be issued because the powerful jet likely contains electrons and protons moving hundreds of kilometers per second. The above image was taken by the Hubble Space Telescope in infrared light in order to better understand turbulent star forming regions known as Young Stellar Objects (YSOs). Frequently when a star forms, a disk of dust and gas circles the YSO causing a powerful central jets to appear. In this case, the energetic jets are creating, at each end, Herbig-Haro object 24 (HH 24), as they slam into the surrounding interstellar gas. The entire star forming region lies about 1,500 light years distant in the Orion B molecular cloud complex. Due to their rarity, jets like that forming HH 24 are estimated to last only a few thousand years.

Melchiah

phVco8o.jpg

The Eye of the Cosmos

This amazing image is another fine example of the sharpness of clarity that Hubble Telescope is capable of bringing us. In the center is a hot new star and the dust and clouds illuminated by it's intense heat and radiation.

Top Bottom