• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

Whoah:

Obama Moves to Counter China With Pentagon-NASA Link

President-elect Barack Obama will probably tear down long-standing barriers between the U.S.’s civilian and military space programs to speed up a mission to the moon amid the prospect of a new space race with China.

Obama’s transition team is considering a collaboration between the Defense Department and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration because military rockets may be cheaper and ready sooner than the space agency’s planned launch vehicle, which isn’t slated to fly until 2015, according to people who’ve discussed the idea with the Obama team.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aOvrNO0OJ41g&refer=worldwide

Smart collaboration or dangerous militarization? I lean more towards the former. Either way looks like shakeups are coming down the pipe.

AndersTheSwede said:
Whoah:

Obama Moves to Counter China With Pentagon-NASA Link

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aOvrNO0OJ41g&refer=worldwide

Smart collaboration or dangerous militarization? I lean more towards the former. Either way looks like shakeups are coming down the pipe.
GObama!:D :D Nothing like another space race to facilitate a mission to get to Mars!
Hootie said:
I'm looking into majoring in astrophysics...I know my head will implode multiple times due to the simple fact that it's astrophysics, but if I somehow make it out of college with a degree, what kind of job(s) can I expect to find/look for?

Other choices are molecular/atomic physics, planetary science, and theoretical physics (suicide.gif)

And if I really can't do any of those, my only other interest is aerospace engineering which surely can't be any easier :lol ....=(

Fuck you, Hootie. I was looking into a career as an astrophysicist.
Along with writing.

868_front.jpg

For those of you who have a PS3 or Blu-ray player. Check this out. Some breathtaking images in 1080p.

Teknoman

Machado said:
questions:

1.-why do all planets move in the same direction?

2.-when are we putting roaches in the moon to see them survive?

3.-why hasn't mercury melted yet?

Not sure about the rest of those, but I dont think i'd want lunar roaches either way :lol

fallout

Hootie said:
I'm looking into majoring in astrophysics...I know my head will implode multiple times due to the simple fact that it's astrophysics, but if I somehow make it out of college with a degree, what kind of job(s) can I expect to find/look for?
I actually started majoring in astrophysics! Then I remembered that I was "bad" at math and switched to computer science.

Anyway, for jobs, most of my former colleagues have gone the grad school route. I know a lot of them are looking into working at the Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics (Canada). Perhaps your country has a similar thing? Of course, there's always postdoc work at a university/college.

Slightly related: Some astrophysicist/astronomer from the University of Victoria actually reads GAF. I found this out through some odd occurrence of him being the supervisor of someone that I was friends with back in school. I guess she knew that I read GAF and they made the connection or something. Either way, if you're reading this mysterious PhD person ... greetings and salutations! Please feel free to correct me on anything I get wrong here.

Machado said:
questions:
Hey! Welcome back to thread.

1.-why do all planets move in the same direction?
This is such a great question that really doesn't get asked enough.

Of course, my answer won't be all that great. It boils down to gravity and angular momentum, but I don't think I'll get into the math (remember, I'm bad at it). When the solar system was formed, everything was just a large disc of debris orbiting the Sun. The Sun itself was spinning in a particular direction and everything else got pulled into spinning in that direction, too. Think of a whirlpool of water, where everything spins around in that same direction. As everything collided and formed, this also caused all the planets to start rotating in the same direction on their own axis.

Side note: Interestingly, Venus and Uranus no longer rotate on their own axis in the same direction as all the other planets. They still move around the Sun in the same direction, but when they rotate, it's actually "backwards". The best theory for both cases is a large asteroid hitting the planets and forcing them to spin the opposite direction.

2.-when are we putting roaches in the moon to see them survive?
Roaches don't like the cold, so probably never.

3.-why hasn't mercury melted yet?
Because rock doesn't melt at 400 °C, which is roughly the surface temperature of Mercury when it faces the Sun.

Side note: It actually drops down to something like -130 °C on the dark side of Mercury. This is mostly due to the planets virtually non-existent atmosphere.

Windu said:
yes, lets strap humans to old rockets....kaboom!!

"Old" rockets (new when comparing to the Shuttle) that have proven safety records and performance envelopes.

To be perfectly honest, it doesn't make much sense to be devoting billions of dollars to multiple rocket launch vehicles that are in the same class as Ares I. Obviously Ares V is in a league all to it's own and deserves to fly.

Edit: Of course the Shuttle was designed in the same philosophy: so called "synergy" in uniting satellite launch services in a single launcher. But that the Shuttle was a failure in this doesn't mean the underlying consolidation is a wrong path. It just means the Shuttle was a flawed design from the beginning (which it was, thanks Nixon). The Delta IV Heavy has already proven its ability to put 25,000 kg into LEO. And man-rating would in all logical development thinking have to be more efficient (not to mention safer, given a longer launch record) than designing a new rocket from scratch. Especially one that relies on a solid-rocket first stage, which historically is renown for it's fickleness (there's a reason Von Braun dismissed usage of it in his Apollo vehicles).
As we have seen recently, so called "civilian" separation between agencies is often a question of degrees and political whims. It's likely a more achievable plan in current budget constraints to actually make a moon base a long-term reality (and not purely a political maneuver) to institute a measure of Pentagon support, they have stronger abilities to push funding through congress than NASA does with it's high profile and perceived narrow focus.

Tom_Cody

Martian Sunset (click for high resolution)

NASA said:
A Moment Frozen in Time
On May 19th, 2005, NASA's Mars Exploration Rover Spirit captured this stunning view as the Sun sank below the rim of Gusev crater on Mars. This Panoramic Camera (Pancam) mosaic was taken around 6:07 in the evening of the rover's 489th martian day, or sol. Spirit was commanded to stay awake briefly after sending that sol's data to the Mars Odyssey orbiter just before sunset.
I thought I'd post this here as per Hootie's suggestion now that the other thread seems to have run its course.

Source: http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/press/spirit/20050610a.html

edit: Oop, this image has been posted at least twice in this thread already. Oh well.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
hs-2009-02-a-xlarge_web.jpg

EXTRA LARGE 6149 X 2902
http://imgsrc.hubblesite.org/hu/db/images/hs-2009-02-a-full_jpg.jpg

This composite color infrared image of the center of our Milky Way galaxy reveals a new population of massive stars and new details in complex structures in the hot ionized gas swirling around the central 300 light-years. This sweeping panorama is the sharpest infrared picture ever made of the Galactic core. It offers a nearby laboratory for how massive stars form and influence their environment in the often violent nuclear regions of other galaxies.

This view combines the sharp imaging of the Hubble Space Telescope's Near Infrared Camera and Multi-Object Spectrometer (NICMOS) with color imagery from a previous Spitzer Space Telescope survey done with its Infrared Astronomy Camera (IRAC). The Galactic core is obscured in visible light by intervening dust clouds, but infrared light penetrates the dust.

The spatial resolution of the NICMOS image corresponds to 0.025 light-years at the distance of the Galactic core of 26,000 light-years. Hubble reveals details in objects as small as 20 times the size of our own solar system.

The NICMOS mosaic image represents the largest piece of sky ever mapped for one NICMOS observing program. It was combined with a full-color Spitzer image to yield a color composite of the nuclear region. The picture measures 300 x 115 light-years. Outside the boundary of the NICMOS survey, the IRAC exposures (which are 1/10th as sharp) can be seen at wavelengths of 3.6 microns (shown as blue), 4.5 microns (shown as green), 5.8 microns (shown as orange), and 8.0 microns (shown as red).

The new NICMOS data show the glow from ionized hydrogen gas as well as a multitude of stars. Hubble reveals an important population of stars with strong stellar winds, signified by excess emission from ionized gas at one infrared wavelength (1.87 microns) compared to another slightly different wavelength (1.90 microns).

NICMOS shows a large number of these massive stars distributed throughout the region. A new finding is that astronomers now see that the massive stars are not confined to one of the three known clusters of massive stars in the Galactic Center, known as the Central cluster, the Arches cluster, and the Quintuplet cluster. These three clusters are easily seen as tight concentrations of bright, massive stars in the NICMOS image. The distributed stars may have formed in isolation, or they may have originated in clusters that have been disrupted by strong gravitational tidal forces.

The winds and radiation from these stars form the complex structures seen in the core, and in some cases, they may be triggering new generations of stars. At upper left, large arcs of ionized gas are resolved into arrays of intriguingly organized linear filaments indicating perhaps a critical role of the influence of locally strong magnetic fields.

The lower left region shows pillars of gas sculpted by winds from hot massive stars in the Quintuplet cluster. At the center of the image, ionized gas surrounding the supermassive black hole at the center of the galaxy is confined to a bright spiral embedded within a circum-nuclear dusty inner-tube-shaped torus.

The NICMOS mosaic required 144 Hubble orbits to make 2,304 science exposures. It was taken between February 22 and June 5, 2008.

Tom_Cody

(click for high resolution)

NASA said:
Backdropped by the blackness of space and Earth’s horizon, the Soyuz TMA-7 spacecraft approaches the international space station. Onboard the spacecraft are astronaut William S. McArthur, Jr., Expedition 12 commander and NASA science officer; cosmonaut Valery I. Tokarev, Expedition 12 flight engineer and Soyuz commander; and U. S. Spaceflight Participant Gregory Olsen. The Soyuz linked up to the Pirs Docking Compartment at 12:27 a.m. (CDT) on Oct. 3, 2005 as the two spacecraft flew over eastern Asia. The docking followed Friday’s launch from Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan.
I love browsing through NASA's image archives.

Source: http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/station/crew-11/html/iss011e14107.html

Thorhald

Blows my mind how we are able to calculate/postulate the mass of galaxies, stars, etc just from radio waves and what not. MIND AM BLOWN.

Teknoman

Who decided to name our galaxy "Milky Way" anyway?

EDIT:
I still cant believe this photo was taken in 1899:

Pic_iroberts1.jpg

Public domain photo of the Great Andromeda Nebula. From A Selection of Photographs of Stars, Star-clusters and Nebulae, Volume II, The Universal Press, London, 1899. Author (Isaac Roberts) passed away on 17 July 1904

According to Wikipedia anyway...

Desperado

Teknoman said:
Who decided to name our galaxy "Milky Way" anyway?

"Its name is a translation of the Latin Via Lactea, which derives from the Greek Γαλαξίας (Galaxias), both of which refer to the pale band of light formed by the galactic plane as seen from Earth"

Wikipedia is your friend.

Teknoman

Desperado said:
"Its name is a translation of the Latin Via Lactea, which derives from the Greek Γαλαξίας (Galaxias), both of which refer to the pale band of light formed by the galactic plane as seen from Earth"

Wikipedia is your friend.

Yeah, but if it just refers to that pale band of light, why call the entire galaxy something that every other galaxy has? I know Earth, the moon and the sun all have "true names" (Terra, Luna, and Sol) so shouldn't the Milky Way have one as well? Unless it's just Via Lactea...which doesnt sound all that great :lol

fallout

Teknoman said:
I still cant believe this photo was taken in 1899:
The Andromeda galaxy is visible with the naked eye. It looks like a fuzzy, out of focus star. Even the most basic of cameras can make it look decent.

Yeah, but if it just refers to that pale band of light, why call the entire galaxy something that every other galaxy has?
We didn't know any better! It wasn't fully resolved what a galaxy was until 1920.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shapley_-_Curtis_Debate

Teknoman

fallout said:
The Andromeda galaxy is visible with the naked eye. It looks like a fuzzy, out of focus star. Even the most basic of cameras can make it look decent.

We didn't know any better! It wasn't fully resolved what a galaxy was until 1920.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shapley_-_Curtis_Debate

Thats interesting. Kinda makes you think about some of the seemingly impossible ideas put forth in current times and how quickly they can be shut down by others.

Hootie

Well I got bored and began randomly browsing through Wikipedia and happened across this little tidbit of information:

Wikipedia said:
Since the energy density is vastly higher than these other forms, the thrust to weight equation used in antimatter rocketry and spacecraft would be very different. In fact, the energy in a few grams of antimatter is enough to transport an unmanned spacecraft to Mars in a few minutes.

That is simply mindblowing no matter which way you look at it. Considering how much conventional chemical fuel is needed just to exit the earth's gravitational field, the idea of using just a few grams of antimatter is just...:lol

Of course, in the same article it there's this:

Wikipedia said:
Antimatter production costs, in mass production, are almost linearly tied in with electricity costs, so economical pure-antimatter thrust applications are unlikely to come online without the advent of such technologies as deuterium-tritium fusion power (assuming that such a power source actually would prove to be cheap). Many experts, however, dispute these claims as being far too optimistic by many orders of magnitude. They point out that in 2004; the annual production of antiprotons at CERN was several picograms at a cost of $20 million. This means to produce 1 gram of antimatter, CERN would need to spend 100 quadrillion dollars and run the antimatter factory for 100 billion years.

That really brought me back down to Earth, but this is why I wish to major in a field like astronomy, physics, or even astronautical engineering so I can maybe have a chance at one day being on the "frontlines" of research into solutions for these problems. Finding a cheap/efficient way to produce antimatter would undoubtably usher in a technological revolution, which is always a good thing. :D

fallout

Not to mention the fact that antimatter reactions are kind of um ... uncontainable at this point, shall we say?

Still, it's cool stuff.

Hootie said:
Well I got bored and began randomly browsing through Wikipedia and happened across this little tidbit of information:

That is simply mindblowing no matter which way you look at it. Considering how much conventional chemical fuel is needed just to exit the earth's gravitational field, the idea of using just a few grams of antimatter is just...:lol

Of course, in the same article it there's this:

That really brought me back down to Earth, but this is why I wish to major in a field like astronomy, physics, or even astronautical engineering so I can maybe have a chance at one day being on the "frontlines" of research into solutions for these problems. Finding a cheap/efficient way to produce antimatter would undoubtably usher in a technological revolution, which is always a good thing. :D
Hootie, did you know that it is an unofficial requirement that you like Star Trek in order to be an astrophysicist? So start liking!

Hootie

Dax01 said:
Hootie, did you know that it is an unofficial requirement that you like Star Trek in order to be an astrophysicist? So start liking!

In that case, I guess I'll be flipping burgers at McDonalds for my entire life =(

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The Cassini flyby gif on the previous page makes me :eek: I guess it gives an idea of what it'd be like to sit on the front of a space craft.

Something interesting, and slightly scary:
full

custom_1231426591753_hs-2009-03-a-web_print.jpg

Even some stars go ballistic, racing through interstellar space like bullets and tearing through clouds of gas.

Images from NASA's Hubble Space Telescope reveal 14 young, runaway stars plowing through regions of dense interstellar gas, creating brilliant arrowhead structures and trailing tails of glowing gas. These arrowheads, or bow shocks, form when the stars' powerful stellar winds, streams of matter flowing from the stars, slam into surrounding dense gas. The phenomenon is similar to that seen when a speeding boat pushes through water on a lake.

Depending on their distance from Earth, the bullet-nosed bow shocks could be 100 billion to a trillion miles wide (the equivalent of 17 to 170 solar system diameters, measured out to Neptune's orbit). The bow shocks indicate that the stars are traveling fast, more than 112,000 miles an hour (more than 180,000 kilometers an hour) with respect to the dense gas they are plowing through, which is roughly five times faster than typical young stars.

Forget asteroids..let's hope one of these doesn't come anywhere near us!

Teknoman

Runaway stars? Wow...had no idea those even existed.

Also:

Mystery Roar Detected From Faraway Space

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,477880,00.html
via Space.com

Many objects in the universe, including stars and quasars, emit radio waves. Even our home galaxy, the Milky Way, emits a static hiss...
...But the newly detected signal, described here today at the 213th meeting of the American Astronomical Society, is far louder than astronomers expected.
The signal is measured to be six times brighter than the combined emission of all known radio sources in the universe.

For now, the origin of the signal remains a mystery.

"We really don't know what it is,"said team member Michael Seiffert of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

Because the radio waves come from far away, traveling at the speed of light, they therefore represent an earlier time in the universe.

Hootie

Some program is currently on the History Channel talking about the Top 10 ways we could all die :lol

I believe one of the featured choices is by asteroid, so I decided I'd post this here just incase any of you want to become depressed tonight

Teknoman said:
Runaway stars? Wow...had no idea those even existed.

Also:

Mystery Roar Detected From Faraway Space

Many objects in the universe, including stars and quasars, emit radio waves. Even our home galaxy, the Milky Way, emits a static hiss...
...But the newly detected signal, described here today at the 213th meeting of the American Astronomical Society, is far louder than astronomers expected.
The signal is measured to be six times brighter than the combined emission of all known radio sources in the universe.

For now, the origin of the signal remains a mystery.

"We really don't know what it is,"said team member Michael Seiffert of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

Because the radio waves come from far away, traveling at the speed of light, they therefore represent an earlier time in the universe.
O_O OH SHI-

2012 is coming. BELIEVE.

Tom_Cody

Here is a render of Ares I-X and some pics of Ares 1-X construction going on at Kennedy Space Center:

08pd1245.jpg

08pd4106.jpg

08pd3932.jpg

08pd3803.jpg

Despite the current shuffle going on within the administration over the future of Constellation, NASA is continuing to work on the Ares 1-X for the launch scheduled for July of this year.

There is something really exciting about seeing the Constellation logo on an actual piece of launch hardware. I hope Obama decides to stay the course with Ares I and Ares V. NASA is currently in its best shape in the last 30 years IMO.

very cool images. Honestly, I hope we are able to put explorers on Mars within the next 20 years. I would love to see that. Seeing actual video of Mars and people exploring there. What a momentous occasion it would be.

As Karl Sagan put it: "Once we set foot on Mars, humans become inter-planetary species, and the achievement of that moment cannot be quantifiable in words..."

b]PS. Does anyone know where I can download HD footage of space and planets [/b]

Tom_Cody

DarkJediKnight said:
PS. Does anyone know where I can download HD footage of space and planets?
You are pretty much out of luck if you are looking for video. Unfortunately, as far as I know the only only high resolution video to come from space has been from the international space station, so that won't help you see beyond earth.

As far as images, NASA has tens of thousands of high resolution images available to download on their various sites. The only difficulty is searching. The best method I've found is to go the sub-sites for individual missions and click the gallery links.

Here is the link to Hubble's image site:

http://hubblesite.org/gallery/

Teknoman

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14378487#post14378487

Report: Life on Mars; Microbes living just below soil

For those interested or have this topic bookmarked. Possible false alarm, but Nasa is having a press conference later today (2pm EST) entitled:

NASA Science Update -- "Something in the Mars Atmosphere"
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Breaking.html

Also picture contribution:
hs-2005-25-a-1280_wallpaper.jpg

Two cones of matter are being ejected from the central star of the Boomerang Nebula. Measurements made in 1995 show the deep interior of the nebula to have a temperature of just one degree Kelvin above absolute zero, making it one of the coldest known places in the universe.

Not a super sharp image, but still.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Saturn's Hyperion: A Moon with Odd Craters

Click For Bigger Image:
What lies at the bottom of Hyperion's strange craters? Nobody knows. To help find out, the robot Cassini spacecraft now orbiting Saturn swooped past the sponge-textured moon in late 2005 and took an image of unprecedented detail. That image, shown above in false color, shows a remarkable world strewn with strange craters and a generally odd surface. The slight differences in color likely show differences in surface composition. At the bottom of most craters lies some type of unknown dark material. Inspection of the image shows bright features indicating that the dark material might be only tens of meters thick in some places. Hyperion is about 250 kilometers across, rotates chaotically, and has a density so low that it might house a vast system of caverns inside.

fallout

That's so fucking cool (above). I'm such a geek for astrogeology (not really the best thing to call it, but you know what I'm talking about ... geology in space). I even have the Traveler's Guide to Mars. I really recommend picking it up if Mars and astrogeology interest you in any way.

Teknoman

Another exoplanet found.

Super-Neptune Planet Found

Astronomers have discovered a planet somewhat larger and more massive than Neptune orbiting a star 120 light-years from Earth...

In other news:

New Moon Rocket Could Launch Giant Space Telescopes

NASA's plans for the mammoth Ares V rocket could do more than just launch new lunar landers and cargo to the moon. It could also haul massive telescopes that dwarf the Hubble Space Telescope or fling deep space probes on faster missions to the outer planets...

Smokey

The numbers in astronomy honestly blow my mind.

How the FUCK are we able to measure how large or how fast our galaxy is? Where the hell would one even start? I honestly try and think about how we are able to do these things and am like...damn.

If you actually sit and think for like 5 minutes all of the shit we know and DON'T KNOW about space..it's crazy.

don't get me started on this anitmatter stuff I just learned about on this page :(

bluemax

Banned
Hootie said:
That really brouht me back down to Earth, but this is why I wish to major in a field like astronomy, physics, or even astronautical engineering so I can maybe have a chance at one day being on the "frontlines" of research into solutions for these problems. Finding a cheap/efficient way to produce antimatter would undoubtably usher in a technological revolution, which is always a good thing. :D

Yeah that is why I originally majored in Aerospace Engineering/Astronautics.

Then after a year I realized that was a pipe dream and not happening. The reality of Aerospace research is a whole lot more depressing.

Honestly if you want to get into that field I highly suggest you start reading up on Fortran and Matlab now, because if you don't like Fortran and Matlab you won't like being an Aerospace engineer.

Quazar

fallout said:
I wonder if they have any openings for a Canadian with a BSc. in Computer Science, a fascination with astrogeology and an all-around willingness to geek out over anything related to space.

... :(

heh the people on the team are awesome. I talk to them through emails time to time. They're pretty quick with responses as well which shocked me. No hurt in trying.

Top Bottom