• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

Angry Fork

This thread is depressing because of how little it feels like we're doing on the space front. Everything we're doing is from the comfort of earth =/. Present day space lovers were born in the wrong era =(. I envy those in the future who'll see Mars landing and beyond (unless we blow ourselves up before then).

dalin80

Banned
Angry Fork said:
This thread is depressing because of how little it feels like we're doing on the space front. Everything we're doing is from the comfort of earth =/. Present day space lovers were born in the wrong era =(. I envy those in the future who'll see Mars landing and beyond (unless we blow ourselves up before then).

I still remember the moment as a child that I realised I would never live to see humans truly venture into space, was such a crushing feeling of disappointment.

We are just steps on a path.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Oh settle down. Our job is to do our part in making sure our species survives to get that far. Eventually the particles that currently reside in/on our body will be reabsorbed by the earth and they'll find their way into another being, and that life will have its chance at advancing its species, and so on. Eventually some particle that is currently housed in or on your body will find its way to another planet. Which means that while your current conscience may not 'witness' it, you'll be there anyway.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
PantherLotus said:
Oh settle down. Our job is to do our part in making sure our species survives to get that far. Eventually the particles that currently reside in/on our body will be reabsorbed by the earth and they'll find their way into another being, and that life will have its chance at advancing its species, and so on. Eventually some particle that is currently housed in or on your body will find its way to another planet. Which means that while your current conscience may not 'witness' it, you'll be there anyway.

Deep. Just thinking about it gets my particles tingling.

PantherLotus said:

Nice words.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
PantherLotus said:
Not necessarily. Some particles have resided in one place for millions upon millions of years! While the general trend of particles in the universe is chaotic diffusion, some states are pretty 'final', like if your shit ends up in iron in a stable part of space. So there you are, floating in an iron core for uncountable years, eventually dying with the universe in some manner.

wolfmat said:
Not necessarily. Some particles have resided in one place for millions upon millions of years! While the general trend of particles in the universe is chaotic diffusion, some states are pretty 'final', like if your shit ends up in iron in a stable part of space. So there you are, floating in an iron core for uncountable years, eventually dying with the universe in some manner.

Those poor lonely iron atoms :(

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
wolfmat said:

I can imagine some pretty philosophical thought particles happening on that lonely rock. But I'm guessing the payoff (big bang/big end) is pretty freaking sweet.

Arcipello

saelz8 said:
116i4cw.jpg

saddest looking planet ever :(

Kyaw

Just wanted to ask...

Would you be blinded if you look at the sun in space? (with those astronaut visors)
And how close can you get to the sun and still be able to look at it without being blinded or burnt?

Trickster

Kyaw said:
Just wanted to ask...

Would you be blinded if you look at the sun in space? (with those astronaut visors)
And how close can you get to the sun and still be able to look at it without being blinded or burnt?

I imagine the point of the visors are to prevent this very thing.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
KarmaCow said:
...you shouldn't look directly at the Sun, even on Earth.
nah man, it's totally safe to look at the sun from the surface of Earth. You can stare at it for hours at a time without damaging your eyes. fight your instinct to squint or look away.

O_O

Hubble-centaurus-a.jpg

Hubble photograph of Centaurus A reveals bright jewel behind dust

Ethereal clouds of dust and gas are illuminated by stars in the giant elliptical galaxy Centaurus A, captured in unprecedented detail by the Hubble space telescope. The photograph was taken with Hubble's most sophisticated instrument, the Wide Field Camera 3. It combines images from multiple wavelengths to reveal a dusty region of the galaxy.

Visible as a bright jewel in southern skies, Centaurus A lies a mere 11m light years from Earth and has at its heart a supermassive black hole that weighs 55m times as much as the sun. The black hole drives powerful jets of particles to within a whisker of the speed of light, releasing intense bursts of radio waves and x-ray radiation.

cluto

Hey, some of you guys probably remember that this image was posted a while ago. I swear I remember someone posting a super high res version (in .pdf format most likely), but I cannot find it anywhere. I would really love to print this image out, but this is the highest res version I can find, and it has a bunch of .jpg artifacts anyway, so it's useless.

(click if you want to download the 3861 x 1706 version, but you really shouldn't)

If no one can find it, or if I'm completely delusional and it never existed in the first place, that's fine, but I think it would at least be cool if people posted some super high res images that they think would make awesome prints. I've looked through 15 or so pages of this thread and haven't found much, but I'll share some things that could make potential small prints (or wallpapers at least).

I also think this would make an awesome print, but there is no super high res version I can find.

(click)

a176

Banned
cluto said:
Hey, some of you guys probably remember that this image was posted a while ago. I swear I remember someone posting a super high res version (in .pdf format most likely), but I cannot find it anywhere. I would really love to print this image out, but this is the highest res version I can find, and it has a bunch of .jpg artifacts anyway, so it's useless.

(click if you want to download the 3861 x 1706 version, but you really shouldn't)

its from this, http://books.nationalgeographic.com/map/map-day/index

lo escondido said:
Isn't it a black hole? (don't know why it would be bright though) But that isn't a real picture of the milky way anyways since we can't take a picture of something we're inside of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_Center
It is widely accepted that there is a super massive black hole at the center of our galaxy (and at the center of most/all galaxies). We can't however see this back hole due to thick dust clouds along the galactic plane.

As for why it is bright, that has been confusing me for a while too. I thought black holes are, well, black, i.e. invisible. But I recently watched in interview with Micho Kaku (spelling?) who said if weren't for the dust clouds obscuring our view, then the black hole at the center of our galaxy would appear brighter than the full moon at night to the naked eye! That caught me off guard and I still don't know the explanation (didn't try to look it up)...

Perhaps it has to do with the massive amounts of matter (including nearby stars) that are being constantly sucked in by the black hole? All that tearing and compressing of matter and space time around the event horizon must be releasing insane amounts of energy (and thus glows?)... Also don't objects going into the black hole apprear (for a distant observer) to be continually slowing down as they approach the event horizon but never fully reach it (relativity)? Which might explain the intense brightness, as all that mass would appears to be accumilating in ever growing quantities around the black hole since an observer can never see something "go inside".

I wrote all that from bed on my phone as I struggle to sleep at 6 in the morning. Phone web browser doesn't support tabs so I can't look up any of that to verify it. So might all be wrong :p

In a rush and far from brimming with kowledge so my apologies for the half-assed post.

The galactic core is filled with an enormous amount of stars and, from a distance, would appear to be one giant blob. Our galaxy is not active/feeding so I *think* our super massive black whole is pretty much just what it sounds like as far as visible radiation is concerned.

As for seeing the black hole (indirectly) and an infinitesimal number of the stars making up our core, check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7xl_zjz0o8&feature=related
There you can watch S2, a star moving a just below the speed of light, being manipulated by a gravitational well created by an unseen object (also the reason why the star is moving so quickly in the first place).

low-G

To me it's crazy that we live on a planet where it's not even necessarily safe to look into the sky (i.e. stare at the sun). I like to envision aliens discussing this matter that originate from a planet more distant from its sun and with a thicker atmosphere.

a176

Banned
Naked Snake said:
It is widely accepted that there is a super massive black hole at the center of our galaxy (and at the center of most/all galaxies). We can't however see this back hole due to thick dust clouds along the galactic plane.

As for why it is bright, that has been confusing me for a while too. I thought black holes are, well, black, i.e. invisible. But I recently watched in interview with Micho Kaku (spelling?) who said if weren't for the dust clouds obscuring our view, then the black hole at the center of our galaxy would appear brighter than the full moon at night to the naked eye! That caught me off guard and I still don't know the explanation (didn't try to look it up)...

Perhaps it has to do with the massive amounts of matter (including nearby stars) that are being constantly sucked in by the black hole? All that tearing and compressing of matter and space time around the event horizon must be releasing insane amounts of energy (and thus glows?)... Also don't objects going into the black hole apprear (for a distant observer) to be continually slowing down as they approach the event horizon but never fully reach it (relativity)? Which might explain the intense brightness, as all that mass would appears to be accumilating in ever growing quantities around the black hole since an observer can never see something "go inside".

I wrote all that from bed on my phone as I struggle to sleep at 6 in the morning. Phone web browser doesn't support tabs so I can't look up any of that to verify it. So might all be wrong :p

its just a shit tonne of stars :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulge_(astronomy)

Naked Snake said:

Really layman's explanation: Because black holes emit a lot of radiation and stuff as they consume matter.

Also, that region is the most densely populated region of stars in the galaxy.

Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/user/SpaceRip#p/u/1/KCADH3x56eE

I <3 Spacerip.

Top Bottom