• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX Attempting 1st Stage Landing After Rocket Launch (AKA Crazy Space Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlodril

kinda sad how few people are watching it. there was a stream yesterday for h1z1 and it had 3 times that number :p

What time is Falcon supposed to land on the drone boat/platform thing?
edit: nevermind, see Musk's tweet. "landed hard", does that mean it basically exploded into fiery chunks on the drone ship?

clipboard01pdu2v.png

ouch...

Luigiv

What time is Falcon supposed to land on the drone boat/platform thing?
edit: nevermind, see Musk's tweet. "landed hard", does that mean it basically exploded into fiery chunks on the drone ship?

Who knows, guess we'll have to wait for the press conference to find out. Maybe it just bounced off and fell into the ocean.

lednerg

To be fair, it's fricken pitch black out there in the ocean at this time. The little guy probably had to rely on autopilot.

E-Cat

That'd be a safe bet, lol

Yeah, I'd just hate to pilot a Falcon 9 through the atmosphere at Mach whatever. :p

Sounds like the landing was a partial success? Sweet! I wonder whether the rocket will be reusable or need some refurbishing.

Eric_S

Wait, what? Elon said the rocket was fine.

The ship, as in the barge is fine. The rocket ship ... we don't know. *ed* yap yap *ed*

I think/hope they got good data for future attempts, so it's all good. It's rocket science after all.

E-Cat

Well I feel dumb, now.

They should've never referred to the barge as a 'ship' when dealing with a spaceship (or rocket) in the first place. lol

Oh well, hitting the target was a pretty big accomplishment in and of itself.

lednerg

Well, they only gave it a 50/50 chance to begin with. And regardless of it not being a total success, Elon Musk still has proven to have a better penis than you or anyone you know.

Dilly

Banned
That it actually navigated to the platform and just made too hard of a landing is still very impressive to me anyway.

Melon Husk

If the landing rockets didnt fire, then the first stage would have written off most of the ship..

It's an aluminum can and mostly empty. Not very heavy.
It most likely hit the barge too hard for its legs and fell over, bursting into flames.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom