• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*spark* smoke smell... Do you think Creative'll replace my Audigy2 ZS 5.25" panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I can tell, there were no wires, screws, or other metal objects that could have fried a chip on my 5.25" front panel. Something definitely shorted and burned, but none of my power supply wires from my Antec case show scorching or burn marks of any kind, and neither does the cable running from the Audigy2 Zs card to the 5.35" panel.

Any experience with this, people? I really don't want to have to do without my new pride and joy soundcard, but it's got something burned out on it that definitely looks like it'd affect performance....or even basic use.

I guess I’m glad it's not my motherboard or something, but I'd not expect my $150 sound card to burn out or short on me. The PCI part is ok, mind you. It's just the bay drive that used to be called "Live Drive" on the SBLives. I'd expect Creative to make a better housing on the thing if a wire did indeed touch it and cause it to short. I'm just a little worried that the warranty might not cover it, but maybe if I send detailed pictures plus that hardware.... I just don't know, but I'm worried about this:

8. The limited warranty does not apply to:
a) Damage caused by normal wear and tear, abnormal use or conditions, misuse, neglect, abuse, accident, improper handling or storage, exposure to moisture, unauthorized modifications, alterations, or repairs, improper installation, improper use of any electrical source, undue physical or electrical stress, operator error, non-compliance with instructions or other acts which are not the fault of Creative, including damage or loss during shipment.
b) Damage from external causes such as floods, storms, fires, sand, dirt, earthquakes, an Act of God, exposure to sunlight, weather, moisture, heat, or corrosive environments, electrical surges, battery leakage, theft, or damage caused by the connection to other products not recommended for interconnection by Creative

I believe I did everything by the book, but this puppy fried. Comments? Suggestions?

Will creative possibly blow me off and say the thing was installed improperly???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom