• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 DS gameplay demo vid [gamespot]

Kon Tiki

Banned
Damn. Seeing as these all take place in the same room, one after another, I wish GS would just release all the demonstrations in one big video.

olimario

Banned
THat is some really nice 3D.
I know it plays 2D, but that last boss/puzzle room is excellent. Better than what I've seen of MP:H.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
LOL @ the Howard Dean scream.

Looks really good...after trying the unfocused free-roaming console version, this might be a nice change of pace.

Tenguman

Gamespot rocks, seriously

I just may have to get Spiderman 2.....

me?? get a 3rd party title on a nintendo system! WOH

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Society said:
Did he say you can switch the powerup with the L button? What is the point of the touch screen commands then?
No, he said you use the special attack with the shoulder button, you pick what's mapped to the shoulder button by using the touchscreen.

Kon Tiki

Banned
kaching said:
No, he said you use the special attack with the shoulder button, you pick what's mapped to the shoulder button by using the touchscreen.

Ah he said 'mapped to the shoulder, you can switch them at any time'. I musta heard it backwards. :p

Tenguman said:
Gamespot rocks, seriously

I just may have to get Spiderman 2.....

me?? get a 3rd party title on a nintendo system! WOH

yea its amazing how DS breathes new life into games youd never think of playing.

That touch screen in spiderman reminds me of the old Intellivision overlay. I
like how it switched to minigames during the boss fight.

Wow...I hadn't even considered spiderman 2 as a game to be interested in. But that video makes it look pretty damn cool. I'll get my eyes peeled on this one and see how it turns out. I might pick it up.

Heh, same here actually. I was walking into the Spiderman video as if it would be like all the other games, stuff I just wouldn't be excited for. I don't like the series much less the games. But that game looks really slick and fast. I was little off on the rail system at first, but it was done very well and the game looked quite nice. The cutscenes were also awesome, especially the one before the boss room they showed.

Will I get this? I'm not sure, probably not, just not a spidey fan. I'll certainly take it into consideration after seeing this though.

EDIT: And ugh, did anyone else watch the Madden video?

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/sports/maddennfl/media.html?gcst=maddends_demo1008.asx

The guy showing it off has the worst PR spin ever. What a headache.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I wasn't digging that first screen showed, but this video looks pretty fun. I really enjoyed the Spider-Man: The Movie game for the GBA and this looks like good solid fun as well. If I get a DS this'll be one I might pick up.

Scoobert

New pic looks umm...freaky!

img41669349343c0.jpg

This game is a good indication of what I thought would be the most practical use for the DS' touchpad. A 'developer made' specific control scheme. Where you can instantly input a command from the displayed button layout they make available.

Culex

Banned
The pics looked mediocre at first. After watching the video, though, it looks quite polished. The web swinging and psuedo 3D movement is nice, too.

Culex said:
The pics looked mediocre at first. After watching the video, though, it looks quite polished. The web swinging and psuedo 3D movement is nice, too.

I see you statement becoming a trend regarding the DS pics, Nintendo needs a way to show in larger screens what you're gonna see in the actual unit.......fake the shots if those will end up being closer to the real look.......if Microsoft can do it for an xbox game, im sure Nintendo can for DS.....:p

aoi tsuki

neo2046 said:
cool! I like they use 2D gameplay rather than crappy 3D graphic :D
???

This sparked my interest as well. The touch screen use wasn't revolutionary, just extremely usable and fairly intuitive. i'm glad the presenter used his thumb and not the stylus for the entire presentation. The stylus is quickly becoming the Indigo Gamecube for the DS. Deactivating the switches seemed trite, and i hope this kind of "move the [object] to the [position]" kind of thing doesn't become standard throughout the life of the DS.

i didn't even give Spiderman a consideration as far as a purchase before this vid, but i might just have to. Solid 2D gameplay with 3D graphics means as sale for me on any system. Gamespot's videos mean less Christmas presents for others this year.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
LOL at the Howard Dean scream and the resulting explanation from the dev.

I feel bad for completely ignoring this title thinking it was going to be another rush/port job on behalf of Activision. It actually looks extremely well done and very enjoyable. If this is a launch title I might have to research this game more and appropriate my budget.

Nester

Wow, that does look really good. I hadn't planned on purchasing this at launch, but I'll definitely keep an eye on it now and see how it pans out.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Looked good enough, smooth and fast. But I don't see why they had to use the touchscreen for the boss mini-game...might as well use the normal buttons (maybe it will be possible?)...then you wouldn't have to switch between buttons-touchscreen either.

Anyway, most interesting thing about this game is that it made me think of a new Klonoa platformer. I'd rather see it on a console though, but NDS is better than nothing. :p

Grubdog

Banned
I never thought i'd want a game called Spiderman 2, but wow, this looks fucking great. After seeing the video at gamespot I can see why Reggie likes it so much! I may end up buying this game.. wow.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Bluemercury:

> Nintendo needs a way to show in larger screens what you're gonna see in the actual unit

Well, what you see in those screens is exactly what you're gonna see on the actual unit. It's not like regular console games where developers can sort of make an argument that viewing the game on a tv looks different from viewing regular framebuffer dumps on a computer screen.

What you can't show in the screens is the 3d effect and smooth framerate but there's nothing you can do about that.

> .......fake the shots if those will end up being closer to the real look

Actually, I've noticed that PSP developers have started doing that (adding AA to press images). I find it pretty lame but at least PSP has the kind of graphics where it kinda makes sense because they're somewhat comparable to what you find on the home consoles. Adding stuff like AA and filtered textures to press images for DS games would simply be ridiculous and misleading to the point of being fraud.

Deg

Banned
Soul4ger said:
Wow, screen is really small, but it runs FAST.

Yeah alot of the DS games are running at 60fps. The good looking ones anyway. RR for exmaple is 30fps.

jarrod

Banned
It should be noted the game is being developed by Vicarious Visions... seems they're making a habit of pushing the technical envilope on Nintendo handheld launches. Hopefully Activision was smart enough to get them on the DS versions of THUG and X-Men Legends too. :)

Grubdog

Banned
jarrod said:
It should be noted the game is being developed by Vicarious Visions... seems they're making a habit of pushing the technical envilope on Nintendo handheld launches. Hopefully Activision was smart enough to get them on the DS versions of THUG and X-Men Legends too. :)
Whoa, Tony Hawk is coming to DS? This is news to me! Awesome :eek:

Kon Tiki

Banned
jarrod said:

Jarrod, do you think many publisher, activision in particular, will port over N-Gage projects? The N-Gage Call Of Duty looks pretty decent. It would rock with Metroid controls.

jarrod

Banned
Grubdog said:
Whoa, Tony Hawk is coming to DS? This is news to me! Awesome :eek:
Not officially... yet. ;)

Society said:
Jarrod, do you think many publisher, activision in particular, will port over N-Gage projects? The N-Gage Call Of Duty looks pretty decent. It would rock with Metroid controls.
I'd imagine so, both platforms use relatively similar chipsets so ports should be simple. UbiSoft has already started things going with Gameloft's Asphalt Urban GT... I'd like to see Sega port Pocket Kingdom over, and maybe Falcom's games too. :)

miyuru

Wow, that really blew me away. I've never had a handheld, but the DS's touchscreen looks like it'll make games that much more enjoyable. And for sure, did you see how smooth that game was running? I would've killed for something similar on the N64 back in the day!

Soul4ger

I'm really looking forward to the X-Men Legends port after this. With wireless multiplayer, it should be incredibly fun.

i prey to god that Namco makes a Klonoa game for DS. since im sure they'll use the touch screen in ways that affect the gameplay / level design.

er. yeah, seeing 2.5D on the DS made me think about that.

Top Bottom